InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Moving Up in the World ❯ Time keeps on Slippin...into the Past? ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
A/N: Sorry I have been so negligent lately. I could go on and whine about my life, but instead I'll give you a few highlights. My mom is getting married, I'm getting a new house, a horse, and two new step-bros exactly my age. So as you may have deduced, I will be busy, so don't yell at me. I have sworn of whining in my author's notes. But you should know it has been my dream to have a horse for sixteen years and I will be no doubt preoccupied.
 
Oh, and by the way, don't get excited by the length, half of it is thank you's. Don't get me wrong, I love ya guys but it was a bitch to do all those…
 
Oh, and by the way again, this chapter is a complete plot twist. I had no idea this was gonna happen. It's all thanks to a reader who reviewed with a vauge idea of this and a mistake of mine. Don't worry if you are confused, I have written a little explanation at the end.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Rin rolled over in her sleep and realized that she was a little cold and wet. Without much effort, she ignored it and fell back asleep. A second time she awoke to find herself very wet, this time she couldn't ignore it. She opened her eyes and let out a piercing scream.
 
She had forgotten where she was. It was a problem she was used to having lately, with all this moving, but this time it was different. This time instead of waking up in various warm cozy beds with the sun shining in through a window and birds chirping in the distance, it was a cold hard bench with soggy newspapers as a blanket. And to top it all off it was raining.
 
Rin's eyes snapped open suddenly. Raining… hadn't been snowing just a couple of days ago at the banquet? Spring did not come that fast here. She swallowed hard and looked up into the foliage. Her stomach sunk horribly as she saw orange and brown leaves adorning it. Fall…that had to mean she had been gone almost a year…but surely she would have noticed that. It had felt like only two or three days…
 
Rin was in a panicked state. How was this possible? It had even been raining when Narraku had dumped her? Surely it would have been snowing…and the trees. She took off to a blind run into her old stomping grounds. It wasn't easy running in a maimed ball gown either. She was still sprinting down the sidewalk when she ran into a hunched figure in a rain poncho. She sprawled out on the wet concrete and looked up at the figure.
 
“Rin-chan, what in the four souls are you doing out her now, especially in that state.” Toutousai barked.
 
“Ah, Toutousai-san, I am sorry I haven't visited you in so many months, but you have to help me…” She pleaded happily.
 
“In so many months? I saw you yesterday off to gather some more flowers.” Toutousai responded indignantly.
 
“Yesterday…but I…” She stopped in mid-sentence. Many homeless succumbed to the crazies, it wasn't her place to further confuse him.
 
“So why are you in a mangled ball gown?” he asked casually.
 
“Well, do you remember Sesshoumaru? I told you about him.” she supplied patiently, but she was starting to get a bad feeling.
 
“No, you did no such thing. I remember the last thing we talked about and it was that maybe you should think of marrying Kohaku.” He said sternly.
 
Rin's bad feeling just got worse. She remembered talking to him about that a few days before she met Sesshoumaru.
 
“Well, I have to go.” She said quickly as she took off toward the area her old box used to be.
 
Seeing the new family in it would change things, and maybe they still had her old change of clothes. She slowed as she reached the tarp-covered box cities. It was such a sad sight to her now. All that comfortable living had made this seem cruel. Back before Sesshoumaru, she had just seen it as a way of life.
 
She turned the corner and saw the side of her old box. It was still in great condition, she was glad somebody who would take care of it moved in. She approached the mouth of the box and sunk to her knees. It was full of everything she had in it before she left, dried flowers, broken vases, and her little blanket. No little mother and child were in sight. Rin was beginning to get a crazy idea. She knew it couldn't be true…. But how else could you explain this?
 
Rin crawled into her box and rifled through her things. She found what she wanted and changed into a ratty, but clean and dry, shirt and pants. She rubbed them sullenly as she thought of the clothes that Izayoi had gotten her. Three quarters dropped out her pocket and she got an idea. She would call Sesshoumaru from the payphone.
 
With a newspaper over her head, she sprinted outside and into the old rickety payphone booth. She smiled at the obscene things carved into the surface of everything. She fingered the quarters. Hopefully, this would be the end of things. Sesshoumaru would come get her and clear up this whole `time warp' thing and they would live happily ever after. She plunked two of the quarters in and dialed his cellphone number slowly. The old phone took a good while to connect. She felt butterflies in her stomach as she heard it ring.
 
“Hello?” Sesshoumaru answered with a strangely bitter voice. “Hello?” He said again impatiently. Rin didn't remember him being this…angry.
 
“Um, hi.” She said shyly.
 
“Who the hell are you?” he barked angrily. “Inuyasha, if this is you pranking me again I will kill you. In fact as soon as I get home I will disembowel you and feed you to Ah and Un-” Sesshoumaru said viciously. Rin cut him off by hanging up.
 
She sank to the floor and held her knees. She was sure that wasn't the same man that gave her the red rose. This concluded it she was sure of it now. As silly as it sounded, she had gone back in time.
 
Sesshoumaru
 
Sesshoumaru sat at his desk with his feet up on it. His game was over and his team had lost. Nothing really seemed to be going right. His father had been spouting nonsense about some `wonderful opportunity' this morning and he was in a bad mood.
 
He wasn't really sure why but he was just troubled. And everything he had to do felt like he had done it before. He could only anticipate things going from bad to worse with his father's `opportunity'. That, and Kagura was bothering him.+
 
“Milord, Is there anything I can do for you?” The toad shouted from his desk.
 
“Didn't I tell you I wanted coffee from Starbucks?” Sesshoumaru growled.
 
“…No.” Jakken jittered. “But I shall run down to the thirtieth floor to get you one!” he cried out.
 
“No.” Sesshoumaru said suddenly, making the toad fall flat on his face.
 
“Then the one down the block?” the toad asked hopefully.
 
“No, the one five blocks from here. Make only left turns on the way back, I find it improves the flavor, oh, and black no sugar.” He said haughtily as he kicked the toad out the door.
 
“Sesshie dear, are you in a bad mood?” Kagura, his secretary asked in a sickly sweet tone as she flashed him her ample cleavage.
 
“My name is Sesshoumaru. I have told you this before.” He said before slamming the door behind him. If only he had better help, or even just less annoying help.
 
Rin
 
Rin knocked on the restaurant's back door. She had formulated a plan. It was rough and last minute, but it was all she had to act on. She knew she couldn't just continue on with her life without Sesshoumaru or the rest of the Takahashi's, but besides that, if Narraku could somehow turn back time, that was not good.
 
Kohaku opened the door. He had his apron on and gloves. He had been washing dishes. Rin felt a sudden pang of guilt. She hated using such an honest man. With a thought towards Sesshoumaru, she put on a beautiful smile and hoped this would work.
 
“Well hello miss Rin,” Kohaku said as he wiped his brow. He looked as naïve as ever. Rin couldn't help but reflect on how much she had matured in the short months she spent with Sesshoumaru.
 
“Hello Kohaku,” She responded almost pleadingly.
 
“What brings you here?” he asked pleasantly.
 
“Well, Kohaku, I wanted to ask you for a really huge favor.” She asked sweetly.
 
“Anything for you,” he said as he led her into the back room of the restaurant. He continued to wash dishes.
 
“Well, I was wondering if I could borrow some of Sango's old clothes.” She asked as she leaned on the counter next to him.
 
“Why of course, but could I ask why? Is it because you are too cold? You know I offered to let you come live with us.” He patronized.
 
“No, actually, It's because I want to get a job.” She said softly.
 
“Well, follow me upstairs then.”
 
Rin was led up a small angular staircase. Kohaku and his sister lived above their old restaurant. It was an old cramped, but cozy, apartment. When she thought of the refined Sango living here she didn't believe it. Kohaku opened the door to a purplish room. It was simplistic and elegant, just as she knew Sango was. He opened the closet.
 
“She uses all the ones in the front, but the ones in the back and in the boxes should be fine. I didn't think you'd fit them, but you seem to have…filled out in the pas few days…” He said, as he looked her up and down.
 
Rin blushed as she dropped to her knees and pulled out a box. He left her to look. Rin was pleased to see that there were plenty of appropriate clothes. There were sweaters, skirts, and even a few suits. Rin hoped this would work. She had learnt to read and write properly and knew all the inner workings of the office. surely it could work.
 
She picked out a beautiful satin blouse and a nice gray skirt. She was pleased to see some nice pumps that could only have been discarded because they were to small. Luckily they fit Rin fine. She looked herself over and brushed her hair with Sango's comb.
 
“You look really nice.” Kohaku said as she entered the kitchen. He blushed.
 
“Thank you Kohaku.” She said as she gave him a hug. She released him and set out for her destination, this would not be easy. Sesshoumaru was not one to be fooled.
 
Sesshoumaru
 
“Sir, some girl is here,” Yura's voice said lazily over the speaker.
 
“Who?” Sesshoumaru asked angrily.
 
I don't know, some girl.” She replied defensively. “Do you want me to send her away or what?” Sesshoumaru looked up at the TV and clicked it off, what could it hurt?
 
“No, send her in.” he replied cautiously.
 
“Fine, she seems quite happy about it.” Yura said sarcastically.
 
Sesshoumaru swung his legs off the desk and straightened up. It wasn't very often that anyone visited him, what with his reputation, nonetheless without a big fanfare to show off. He wondered what was taking her so long, until he remembered Kagura. He was about to go out there and intervene when he heard a loud slap and a thump.
 
He was very surprised when he saw a pretty young woman come in and close the door behind her. She looked as if she had been through a struggle as she leaned against the heavy door. He wondered what such a young woman wanted with him. She was very innocent looking and pretty. Her eyes were enrapturing. Something about her made him curious.
 
“Hello Sesshoumaru-sama,” She said with a huge smile and a wide-eyed look.
 
“Hi, and you might be?” he asked with a raised eyebrow.
 
“Oh sorry, I forgot, I'm Rin.” She said hurriedly.
 
“And what might bring you here?” He continued in the same tone.
 
“Oh,” She flushed. “Well, I was thinking…” She twirled her hair.
 
“Yes?” he asked patiently.
 
“If you needed a new personal assistant, you know, one more capable of staying out of your way. One more able to make things go smoothly for you.” She said quickly, using everything she knew about Sesshoumaru to help.
 
“Hm, what makes you think you are suitable for this job?” He asked surprisedly.
 
“Well, I can take notes, answer phones and keep an annoying people from dropping in.” She said while pulling at the hem of her skirt.
 
Suddenly, the oak door swung open and Jakken rushed in. As he passed under Rin she brought her fist hard down on his head. She gasped, she had been allowed to do that before, but it might be a breach of authority now. A coffee was spilt across the wooden floor.
 
“Hmpf.” Sesshoumaru said as he picked up the foam cup. “Not even from the right Starbucks…” He threw the cup at the toad's limp body and looked Rin in the eyes. “I guess you are more qualified than I thought, when can you start?” he said as a slight smile touched his lips, there was something about this girl…
 
TBC!!!
 
A/N: I hoped you liked it, or at least thought it was okay. One reader at one point gave me this idea, I read through my reviews but couldn't find it…If you are out there give me another review so I can give you the proper credit.
 
Okay, since this is confusing I decided to explain a bit. You see at this point Rin know she must be back in time because of the rewind in seasons and the fact Toutousai didn't miss her and Sess isn't the same. That means somewhere in between the kidnapping and the drop off in one of the park' alley, time was rewound. How is this possible? Could Project Shikon be involved??? Sesshoumaru has no clue of this transition as of yet. Neither does anyone else we know of… I hope that cleared some things up. I'm sure you all still have a jillion questions.
 
 
 
Thanks-
 
Ever Rin- Gracias!
 
Tiki-chan- Your month? I feel so proud!
 
Spirit-Hunter- I am glad ya liked it.
 
Cammy Rammy- I can't believe I have 600 reviews either…Thanks for your sympathy, my step-dad is pretty cool too, I'll try to stop whining…it's a problem with me…U_U.
 
Redfox9t- Thanks for the enthusiasm!
 
Tia Kutschera Fox- Wow, thank you! And not to give you any ideas or anything, but I don't think you can sue unless you copyright it and I don't think you can do that with Fanfics, but you can bet I would chase you down! Just kidding, I am glad you like it that much!
 
Animegirl007- I would never actually rape anybody in my fanfic, but you have to admit the intensity was petty good for me.
 
Tnkrbell- Sorry to worry you, it may take me forever to update, but I will finish it!
DarkFusion- Everybody was scared about it, I wonder how much they would have freaked out if I actually let it happen? Never mind, I do not want to think about that kind of mayhem. You can bet Inu and Kagome are gonna be getting together.
 
Devon Masterson-Bond- Now your'e probably lot's and lot's more confused! Yay!
 
Animedorkette- Cliffie's are cruel but necessary…
Kaora- Now Kagura's back and it's all more compelling/confusing… hope you like it.
 
Cute and Fluffy- Yay! I love songs about me kicking ass! I hate to endorse skipping class, but I can't help but be happy that my story is that neat. Two hours to read, whoosh. I just can't help but think how long it took me to write. I guess bout 22 hours by now I'd imagine. My my my. Your review was like my favorite this chapter! (hands out special trophy)
 
Sarah- Same public park she used to live in. Thanks.
 
FoxFireBlossom- The very first? I do feel honored! Yay! Don't worry, I have sworn off whining in my author notes.
 
DemonDogs- Yay! Favorite's list! With the new twists, I'm sure it will go on plenty long.
 
MoonlitStarDestiny- No rape, I swear. Thanks for the compliments. I will check out your story, maybe I can help? I'm sure I'll love it if it's Sess/Rin.
 
InuObbsesses o.o- on screen keyboard should be considered an effective form of torture…
 
Arrowfire- Anybody x Narraku is odd. Don't worry, I would never let it happen. Here's something weirder: Jakken X Rin. Trust me, it's out there, and it will get you when you least expect it…
 
Sesslover101- I would never do such a thing!
 
Owlman114- I liked Sess freaking out to. He can be adorable. I got a new keyboard YAY! And to answer your question her top never was ripped, she kicked the guy in the nuts before he could, and the skirt covers the undies. I love how you find all these little things. But don't worry, I usually have an explanation. What you should have been on me about was the fact it was raining in the alley a few days after it snowed. That was an actual mistake…now it gave birth to a new plot!
 
My Dream's Shadow- Thanks!
 
Inufire- thanks.
 
Tiger5913- No damage.
 
Jon C- Sorry to be so heinous. Thank you for still liking it.
 
Flashflashrevolutionpro- You'll see.
 
AnimeFreak-TrunksPan-lover4evr- All will become clear…eventually.
 
Animemistress419- I'll try.
 
Silverlie-This wasn't quite as bad as a cliffie.
 
ChibiNeko192-Duh dun dun! It is sooo mysterious.
 
Inuyasha-girl1117- I shall try.
 
Youigy hunter- Of course not!
 
V4n3saCH4N- Thank you very muchly!
 
Vivian- The best? I doubt it, but nonetheless it makes me feel VERY good about myself.
 
Jillian Jiggs- Fabu? I don't doubt that is one of the top ten things anyone has ever said about my story.
 
Adora Bell Dearheart- Don't get your hopes up…I'm terrible…
 
Heka- Chockie!
 
Aphrodite-girl- thank you, I can feel the warm fuzzies multiplying.
 
Kasashi Maru- LAME! GAHHH!!! Just kidding.
 
Miroku's great ancestor- okay.
 
Wattz-up-garl- THANKS SO MUCH!
 
Unknown beedee- Love always prevails.
 
Inuyasha_Lover69- Awesome? THANKS!
 
Mythsweet- Thanks so much, I actually laughed out loud for like minutes… (ALLKNOWING RULEBOOK: It was pathetic.)
 
Katba- Even I am confused…
 
Kita- No more rape stuff.
 
Kjw035- That is exactly it, or I am sound asleep and suddenly wake up “I HAVE TO UPDATE!!!”
 
SimpleOne- He turns up sooner than I thought…
 
MY MinD- SORRY….
 
Luna-Divine- I love fanfics like that too.
 
Moongirl527-Thanks, it means a lot to me.
 
BadKitty88- I'm sorry…
 
 
Oh my dear lord, I love you guys, but if I have to do that again anytime soon, I will die…
 
Love,
Kitkat07