InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Devotion ❯ Just Another Day ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I do not own inuyasha or any of the characters.
Just Another Day

Rin was eighteen now and she was still following behind Sesshoumaru. She just couldn’t tear herself away from how dashing he always acted and was for that matter. She had never made any forward advances towards her Lord and Master though, with every passing year the hormones raging through her body made it increasingly hard to hold back. She wanted him. More than she had ever wanted anything and feared that he would never feel the same way about her.

She remembered how two years ago, he’d had a kimono made to match his, to let all others know that she was in possession of the great dog demon. She had never felt more prideful than she had that day. It was just two years before that that he had shown her how to defend herself with a sword that he’d had made by the infamous, Totosai. She would say that she’d done quite well for a human, though she knew her skill would never match that of Sesshoumaru’s. On those days she felt sure of his feelings for her. Too bad she couldn’t say the same right now.

Just then, Rin felt something coming from behind. She unsheathed her sword, flicked her wrist, and sheathed the sword without looking behind her. Then she heard the body of a felled lesser demon fall behind her as a prideful smile spread across her face. She had been walking farther behind Sesshoumaru than usual. But could she really be blamed for that? They had been walking for days and it seemed as if she had nothing better to do to occupy her time than hone her fighting skills.

“Rin, catch up or you’ll be left behind,” he said in his usual expressionless voice.

“That’s kinda what I was tryin’ to do,” she joked in her imperfect Japanese as she caught up. All these years of travel had made her rough around the edges. Something that Sesshoumaru had been trying to break for some time. After all, she wasn’t always like this. That had set in after her awkward stage had started. Along with the defiance.

“Rin…” he warned.

“I’m sorry my Lord,” she cleared her throat “What I had meant to say was that I was falling behind so that I could take the opportunity to work on the swordsmanship that you had graciously offered me.” This time speaking in the proper way that his human child should.
It seemed like only yesterday that she required nearly none of his attention. That is, if you excused the times he’d had to save her from Naraku. As she had grown he’d had to constantly remind her that she was his and would be punished if she acted contrary to how she was expected to. That never stopped her from getting on Ah-Un and flying away after she yelled at him for ‘treating her like a child’. It gave him a headache just thinking about it.
He was jostled out of his thought by the sound of her yawning.

“Jaken, we’re stopping.”

“Yes me lord,” the green toad demon groveled.

“Lord Sesshoumaru, I’m really not tired,” Rin complained. She was mentally kicking herself for yawning out of boredom. Once it even got near dusk he would start listening for signs that she was tiring. Then they would stop. Sometimes it was sweet and other times it was annoying because she really wasn’t tired. She also knew that he was too proud to admit that he had made a mistake so they would be stopping regardless. “I’ll get the firewood,” she sighed.

When she returned Sesshoumaru had already made himself comfortable against a tree as usual. She didn’t think that she had ever really seen him sleep before. After arranging the sticks for Jaken to light as soon as he came back with something to eat (Sesshoumaru said that it was Jaken’s job to get the food after her abduction years ago) Rin went over to Ah-Un and began petting him.

“Lord Sesshoumaru may I fly him? Just for five minutes?” she pleaded. She stuck out her bottom lip and snuggled up to the horse.

“Do as you please,” he replied nonchalantly. That pout always warmed his heart and let her do almost anything she wanted, though he would never openly admit it.

“Thank you, my Lord,” she said, bowing before mounting the double-headed demon horse and taking flight. Twenty minutes later, she came back down from the skies; hair scattered wildly about her and cheeks blushing prettily. By that time Jaken had already lit the fire and cooked her a generous portion of food. Under Sesshoumaru’s order no doubt.

“You stupid human girl! You should have come down long ago! Don’t you–” he was cut off by an icy stare from Sesshoumaru. Rin had long since outgrown him and the respect he demanded was often hard to give him. She finished her dinner in silent thought before walking over and cuddling up next to her Lord in place of his arm. She had long since outgrown the need to do such in the cold nights but he never pushed her away so she stayed.
She just knew that locked away in that heart of his he harbored some feelings for her.

Mustering all of her courage she turned into him and placed her hand on his chest feigning sleep by using the techniques that Sesshoumaru had taught her to slow her heartbeat and control her breathing. Then she prayed to whatever god was listening that he didn’t push her away.

Sesshoumaru noticed her sudden shift in her ‘sleep’ and cracked an eyelid to see what she was up to. She had never tried adamantly at anything he had taught her and with his heightened senses he could still hear her heart beating faster than usual. What he saw startled him. Tonight she had tightened the embrace between them. The way her hair was falling around her and her face softened gave off an air of contentment.

Rin stiffened only for a moment before relaxing. How could she not? She fit perfectly against him, as if they were carved from the same piece of stone. She didn’t know why, but it felt right to be at his side. She just hoped he could feel the same way.

‘This could be interesting’ he thought. And so he let her stay like that, for the time being at least.

Rin awoke contentedly by Sesshoumaru and sighed. He hadn’t pushed her away. That was a start.

Since Naraku had been destroyed Sesshoumaru did little more than travel. He was like a drifter doing so only to occupy his time. Of course he would return to his domain, the Western Lands, for a month every three months to make sure that everything was in perfect order. That is where they were headed now. A few hours of traveling and they would be there. That’s why last night’s abrupt stop was especially annoying.

“Rin go wash up. I want you looking presentable when we arrive,” he said in response to her awakening. Rin simply did as he said after grabbing what she needed from her bag. She was I no mood to argue right now, even though it would have been fun.

She dipped her hand into the water to test its temperature. ‘Cold,’ she thought. The water was always cold. She wasn’t going to bathe in that water so she quickly ran a wet cloth over the skin that Sesshoumaru’s Western servants would see. Then she skipped back to the campsite. There she found Jaken awake and scowling. Knowing that Lord Sesshoumaru had just kicked him made it impossible to suppress a giggle. They walked off into the sunrise towards the castle of the Great White Dog. It was just another day to her.

While Rin was asleep Sesshoumaru had gone to his castle to make preparations for their arrival. From previous visits home and the impending remarks from Jaken, Sesshoumaru knew that none of his demon servants approved of his human companion. He wasn’t sure himself why he allowed her to continue following her. The simple reason would be that she had been a part of his life for so long that she was the norm for traveling. Sesshoumaru didn’t like spontaneous change. Besides, she knew how to bandage wounds properly whereas Jaken’s small hands always made him tie the knots too tight. He didn’t know why he became suddenly overprotective of her in the Western Lands. It seemed to be a necessity. Lately life with her had become increasingly uncomfortable. Something had to change.

Upon returning he sat down next to Rin and leaned down back into the position in which he had left her. She looked so innocent when she was sleeping. Finally, he placed her hand over his heart once again thankful for her deep sleeping.