InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Devotion ❯ A Happy Accident ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
You know the deal. Why would it be called FANfiction if I owned the characters and controlled their fates?

><><><><><><><> ;<><><><><><><><><>&l t;><><><><><><><><><& gt;<><><><

A Happy Accident

The traveling trio entered the Western Lands after three hours. In just one more hour they arrived at the castle. Since Naraku’s defeat Sesshoumaru had been working mostly on rebuilding his father’s empire. As they entered the castle Sesshoumaru, as well as Rin, noticed the disapproving glares from his servants. There was only one among those faces that held a smile. Hanging behind her were two very long ponytails and in front of the face was a lock of hair that ran the length of her face.

“Souten?”

“Rin!”

T he two girls ran to embrace each other after making recognition. Unlike everyone else there, Souten and Rin both knew what it was like to loose their whole family and be left to fend for themselves. They had met when Souten had tried to attack Sesshoumaru near Laimei Valley. When he dodged her and cut her with Tokijin it was Rin who tended to her wounds, despite Sesshoumaru’s impending indifference. It wasn’t until later that Rin had found out that she was only trying to protect her land. Rin immediately extended an invitation to join them in the Western Lands should she need the company. At that point Souten had immediately refused. A couple years later though, she decided that she could use getting away from her castle in order to reassess how she would go about returning the Thunder Demon Tribe to its former glory.

“Souten,” Sesshoumaru cut in “escort Rin to her room.” He was tense enough as it was and didn’t need this display of affection in front of his servantile to worsen things. After all, it was not he who had invited that demon girl here. In fact he tried to avoid her altogether. She refused to call him ‘Lord’ and insisted that her stay was only temporary. Besides, she was Lady of her own domain.

“Yes,” she choked out before giggling and running off with her friend in tow. In Rin’s room they finally got the privacy to talk of more personal matters.

“So how much longer ya gonna stay? I missed ya.”

“As long as I need, I suppose. How was your trip?”

“It was good. Mostly we traveled to places that are indebted to Sesshoumaru for fighting off bandits and other demons. During the reign of his father many humans lived here. But, they left after he perished. We also ran into Kagome and InuYasha. Needless to say, Sesshoumaru-sama wasn’t pleased.”

“How are they?”

“Ya mean how was Shippo?” A blush came over the demon girl’s cheeks. “Heh, I was just jokin’. They’re fine.”

“That wasn’t funny Rin! Don’t even get me started on Sesshoumaru and you!”

“That’s different. I at least acknowledge my feelings for him. I just don’t know how he feels about me. That’s the problem. Lately, it’s been harder to read him. It’s like he doesn’t need me anymore. What do I do?”

“Well I’m not an expert on these things. But seeing as how we both know he’s not going to say anything, I think that you should.”

“I guess…Where’s Korryu?”

“He’s in the courtyard. Oh, that’s right! Since last you’ve seen him he’s grown a little. Sesshoumaru says he’s too big to stay inside anymore.”

“Well, he has been getting pretty large. Speaking of the courtyard, do ya wanna spar with me. I’ve been practicing.”

“That all depends on whether I’m able to use the Thunder Pike or not.”

“It’s finally fixed? But how?”

“Come with me.”

The two rushed out of Rin’s room and into one of the few guest rooms down the hall. Standing against the far wall was a huge black box with a single square metal piece in the center. Just as her brothers had a unique lightning ability so did Souten. Whereas Monten could focus it through his mouth and Hiten through the Thunder Pike, Souten could pinpoint the energy through her fingers.

Souten proceeded to shoot off a lightning bolt at the piece of metal. A series of clicking sounds filled the air before the doors to the box creaked open.

“Wow…”

“I had it specially made to hold the Thunder Pike. It will only open by a focused lightning strike to the lock. That way I don’t have to worry about it breaking again. Since I couldn’t figure out any other way to fix it I had to implant–”

“A Shikon Jewel shard! That’s going to attract a lot of attention. Sesshoumaru-sama won’t be too happy about that.”

“Whatever. Like I care what he thinks,” the girl responded while rolling her eyes. “But, how did you know?”

“Oh, just a hunch I guess. After Naraku was finished Kagome thought that the jewel would be completed. After the fact she noticed that a single shard was missing.”

“There’s no need to worry. The box keeps the demonic aura around the Thunder Pike sealed. Since the shard is enhancing it, it too is kept hidden. No one would be able to sense it unless it’s open.”

“Are you sure you want to practice with that?”

“If I thought it’d be that bothersome, I wouldn’t have opened the box. It’s only for a couple of hours or so. That’s not long enough for something to pick up on it and make their way all the way out here. What? Afraid you’ll lose?”

“I can take you any day.”

“Well then, let’s see the extent of your practice.”

The pair raced to the courtyard in order to celebrate their reunion with a sparring match. Souten had to admit that Rin had improved since their last duel but her sword was still no match for the Thunder Pike. But just when Souten thought she had won, Rin would execute a perfect defensive strategy, forcing her back enough to once again cross blades. This went on so long that the girls eventually came to be lying in the grass, panting.

“Not bad…huh?” Rin asked.

“If it was…a real fight…you’d be dead.”

“The Thunder Pike truly is astonishing.”

The two battle-giddy girl erupted into laughter at the fun they had just had only to be interrupted by one of Sesshoumaru’s older male servants.

“Miss Souten. It is getting late and you should get something to eat before the day grows late. The Lord also requests his human’s company for the afternoon meal,” he said without even glancing towards Rin.

“Thank you Hemtomaru,” Rin replied earning a glance from the proud demon before his nose went into the air as he stalked away.

“I’m sorry about him Rin. He just–”

“Don’t worry about it. Believe me, I’ve been treated worse. And when you think about it, it’s better than the way Jaken treats me. Well, I’d better get going. If I’m not there in three minutes Sesshoumaru-sama is going to throw a fit. Oh, and remember to seal the Thunder Pike,”Rin warned as she exited the courtyard.

“Yeah, yeah,” the crimson-eyed demon agreed before stalking off to her room to guard her precious heirloom in its case. Little did they know that those few hours were quite enough for something, or rather, someone to pick out the force radiating energy from the Thunder Pike. The Shikon Jewel shard.

><><><><><><><> ;<><><><><><><><><>&l t;><><><><><><><><><& gt;<><><><><

Author’s Note: Okay so I know the jewel really was completed. But just go with me on this one. I promise it’ll make the story more interesting. Besides, this is fanfiction, and this story is supposed to be my own little fantasy, ain’t it? I've said it before and i'll say it again: anything that would make the story mor ejoyable for you to read will make it mor enjoyable for me to write! ; )
P.S. Thanks for the support SUGARSWEET PIE!