InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Devotion ❯ And They're Off ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
ditto

><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><>< ;><><><><><><><><><&g t;<><><><><

Okay so that was one or two days again. If I do say so myself, I’m on a roll! But that’ll probably be short lived since I’m kinda runnin’ outta steam. Don't think the chapters will get much longer than this but i'll keep at it. Thanks for the reviews and hope you like this chapter. Enjoy! ; )

><><><><><><><>< ><><><><><><><><><> ;<><><><><><><><><>&l t;><><><><

And They're Off!

Lunch in Lord Sesshoumaru’s presence had always been rather dry. Rin was always the only one who ate at the table. Sesshoumaru resigned himself to watching. Rin remembered those first couple of days after she had found him weak and alone in the forest near the village she was staying in. He had told her that human food didn’t ‘suit’ him. However, he never seemed to get hungry so he must eat something. It made her wonder what he did eat. After all, Souten’s brothers were infamous human eaters.

“Your friend is overstaying her welcome.”

“Hmm?” she questioned, looking up from her steamed rice and chicken. “Oh, I’ll take care of it.”

“Make sure that you do,” he said while eyeing her skeptically.

An awkward silence stretched on between them. Not that silence was uncommon while she ate. She just had felt different there, knowing how she felt and not knowing how he did. Deciding to take Souten’s advice, Rin set down her chopsticks and crossed her hands in her lap before continuing.

“I enjoy your company, my Lord.”

The reply he offered was a simple nod. Sheesh, that was harder to say than she thought and all she got was a nod for it. To get his face to change at all she’d have to tell him what she really though. It was just three words. Why couldn’t she say them. Maybe it was because of what those three words entailed. Or maybe she thought that telling him would make him want to put distance between them. And if he did then she just wouldn’t be able to bear it.

“Lord Sesshoumaru, I–”

“Finish your meal. I have other things to do before the day is over.”

“I’m not really hungry, anymore,” she said as she felt a pit form in the bottom of her stomach. Perhaps he didn’t feel the same way.

“Then you have my permission to go.”

“Thank you, my Lord,” she said before rising from the table, bowing quickly and leaving. Out in the hall the tears began to well up in her eyes. Rin hadn’t covered her face with him. She didn’t want him asking her about it. Her goal in life was to be as strong as she could. To her and her master, crying was a show of weakness. But why had he pushed her away? Wait, he didn’t even know what she was going to say. It was stupid to be crying, she thought. But still, she couldn’t stop the tears from hitting the wooden floor as she half walked, half ran to the courtyard.

There, she stopped at the garden of white lilies that she had tended over the time that she had been here in the castle. They reminded her of her Lord’s silver white hair…and of the family that she had lost. After they had been killed it was white lilies that graced the graves that she had dug. Now she watered them with her tears. She hadn’t felt so helpless in years.

“Mama. Papa. I don’t know what to do. I really do love him, but he’s just so…different. You would have liked him, though, mama. He is quiet like you. But he always manages to give a hint of how he feels by what he does just like you, Papa. I’m just so confused. How do I make him see? How do I let him know?” she whispered. With a sigh and so many unanswered questions running through her head she went to fetch water for the flowers.

Meanwhile, back in the dining room, Sesshoumaru was just staring at the door Rin had left out of. Was she really about to say what he thought she was going to say? He too had felt the tension between them as she spoke and it unnerved him more than he would have liked to admit. The he had heard her voice change as if she was about to make an earth shattering confession. He had stopped her, but why? He hated being wrong, but more than anything, he hated not knowing. Oh well, he thought. He still had more pressing matters to attend to. If what she had to say was that important, then it would resurface later. Either way, it didn’t matter.

Back in her garden, Rin had just finished watering her precious lilies. It was tedious work since the well was on the other side of the courtyard. Sesshoumaru would be to blame for that. When she was small, he had given her specific directions on where to construct her garden. Being the naïve and humble child that she was, she obeyed his order without question.

“So you care for the demon, yes?” came a disembodied voice.

“Who’s there?” Rin asked while reaching for her sword only to find it missing. Then she remembered. She had put it beside her when she had sat down to eat and left in such a rush that she had forgotten it.

“You’d like to be with him, yes?”

“What does that matter to you?”

“I could help you, yes.”

The offer sounded terribly tempting. At that moment she wanted nothing more than to be in her Lords arms as she had been last night. But only a demon could hide itself such as the one holding this voice was. Long ago, Sesshoumaru had told her that most demons couldn’t be trusted. No, this one wanted something in return. But for the life of her, she didn’t know what. And she wasn’t planning on staying long enough to find out.

“I don’t need the help of any scheming little demon,” she shot back. Then she ran and was surprise to find that the demon wasn’t following her. She merely felt its presence and wind carried laughter as she turned around. Perhaps it wasn’t as dumb as it sounded, she thought. Souten had said that Korryu was in here but she hadn’t seen him since their afternoon sparring match. That must mean that she was out for the night. Exhaling a deep sigh the chocolate-eyed girl went in search of Ah-Un. She hoped that flying in the night air would help her to think about things more thoroughly. She would go back for her sword later.

><><><><><><><> ;<><><><><><><><><>&l t;><><><><><><><><><& gt;<><><><

Some distance away, the demon slayer, monk, priestess, half-demon, fox demon, and cat demon were once again on their quest for the Shikon Jewel shard.

“Are you sure that you sensed it coming from this way?” asked InuYasha.

“Of course I did. It was there for hours.”

“What do you mean was?” he whined.

“Well, I felt it getting purified and contaminated very quickly. I sensed it for a long time and then, just as quickly as it resurfaced, it was gone. It was really awkward too. ”

“Gone!”

“I can’t explain it! If you think that you can do better than why don’t you try to find it! Besides, I’m sure that if we keep going this way we’ll eventually come across it.”

“If we keep going this way, we’ll be in the Western Lands!”

“What’s wrong with that?”

“Are you insane!”

“InuYasha…Sit!”

“B rings back memories, doesn’t it?” instigated the fox demon, Shippo. He was now a full grown demon and it was quite the sight to see him still teasing InuYasha. The resemblance to the drawings that Souten had drawn with the crayons was uncanny.

“Why you!” the half-demon yelled before chasing him. Of course, it was a little harder to catch him because of his growth. Still, his he wasn’t fast enough and it wasn’t long before he landed a fist on him.

“Sit!”

“Hey Kagome. Doesn’t InuYasha’s brother rule the Western Lands?” intervened Sango.

“Oh right! But I don’t think we’ll be going that far.”

“I hope not,” chimed Miroku.

><><><><><><><&g t;<><><><><><><><><>& lt;><><><><><><><><>< ><><><><><

Author’s note: so here comes shippo and the gang, right on cue! After some thought I figured that the logical thing was for everyone to come to the Western Lands with their usual attitudes in tow. Oh, and as an added incentive to future reviewers, you’ll get a preview on the next chapter if you input more ideas. Remember to read carefully!