InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Devotion ❯ Loneliness ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
’s Note: Sorry for the wait all of you who are following this story but I have been busy and will be busy for the majority of the summer (uugh, moms!) I was trying to get a lot of chapters out for you guys. Keep reviewing and I’ll do my best to update the chapters.

><><><><><><><><>< ><><><><><><><><><> ;<><><><><><><><><>&l t;><><><

Loneliness


“My Lord, there are…humans that wish to stay the night here,” Hemtomaru stated, pausing to decide whether or not he should mention the others, the uttering the word ‘human’ like the vilest of curses.

“And?” the fearsome dog-demon asked.

Hemtomaru had been with his master for far longer than that human girl and that annoying, yet devoted, toad of his. He had seen how his Lord had regarded humans before he brought back that human. If any human had dared asked to stay in his domain...no human would have dared to stay here! This was a perfect example of why that human girl was bad for him. She was ruining his reputation and making him weak.

“InuYasha is among them.” He stared at his Lord waiting for an answer and was confronted with a harder gaze than his own. He flinched when Sesshoumaru finally spoke.

“Make sure they are gone by morning.” It was a bad storm by the way the air smelled. They could get killed if they stayed outside. But why did he care? Because Rin would be upset if she knew he had let them go. But if he let them stay, well, that would make her smile. He loved how she smiled so wide her eyes closed. Maybe that is why he let her follow him. He noticed that he hadn’t seen Rin all day. He had been busy lately and hadn’t noticed. Her lack of presence at his arrival was…unusual. “Where’s Rin?” he asked, making an already very angry steward fume. He couldn’t believe that he actually cared where that human was!

“I’ll tell her to come to find you after I show the others to their rooms,” he said with surprising calm in his voice. Then he proceeded to return to the front gates where a group of slightly drenched travelers awaited his reply.

When Hemtomaru reached the door, he was so put off by having to welcome these…creatures into his Lord house that all he could do was stare at them in disgust for some time.

“Well?” Kagome said while tapping her foot audibly. She was obviously not amused with the way he was looking at them.

Suddenly snapping out of his daze, he motioned for two maids to come closer. “My Lord has graciously allowed you to stay the night, only. See them into some rooms. I have other duties to see to.” Another human to see to. Ironic.

“But, sir, we’ll be one room short,” one of the maids said hesitantly.

“She left earlier this evening. Now, if you’ll excuse me,” he said, turning on his heel with a snobbish ‘humph’.

“Feh, don’t worry about that. I’m not staying.” InuYasha said as he leapt into the air and away from the castle.

“Don’t go too far,” Kagome said concernedly. She knew coming here would be hard on him, but still, she never expected it to be this bad. Sure, this place was not his home. He had his own forest near Kaede’s village that he had taken for himself. But this was his father’s home. It was heart wrenching seeing him flee from it.

After he was out of sight, both girls turned to their ‘honored guests’ and said, “Please, follow us.” One of them led Miroku, Sango, and Kagome to the rooms on the left-hand side of the wing with the bedrooms. The other led Shippo and Kirara to rooms on the opposite side of the hall.

Shippo wasn’t as at ease about staying in Sesshoumaru’s domain as he let on. Even Shippo knew how cold-hearted he could become. He was expecting a room filled with cobwebs and spiders as he wondered how long it had been since anything had stayed here besides Sesshoumaru and his servants. He was surprised to find the room surprisingly clean and welcoming.

“This is nice,” he sighed breathing in the soft, steamy smell of the room.

“Well, this room is better than the others since Miss Souten was staying in it not too long ago.”

That name sounded familiar, but he couldn’t put his finger on it. “Miss Souten?”

“Yes, her real title is Lady Souten of Laimei Valley, but my Lord wouldn’t have us using that while she was staying here.” That was the valley of the Thunder Demon Tribe. Her?

“What was she doing here?”

“She was here on invitation from Sesshoumaru’s human. I really shouldn’t say more than that. Make yourself comfortable.”

As soon as the servant left, Shippo changed out of his drenched clothing and lied down on the pallet staring at the ceiling. He let out a soft chuckle as he thought about the last of the thunder demons. He wondered what she was doing nowadays. He also wanted to know what she looked like as he remembered mistaking her for a boy when they first met. She might be worth paying a visit.

><><><><><><><> ;<><><><><><><><><>&l t;><><><><><><><><><& gt;<><><><><

Meanwhile, a certain older male servant was becoming increasingly angry with a certain human. He had checked all of the places where she usually was and wound up with nothing. Finally deciding that she wasn’t in the castle, he had to report back to Sesshoumaru. He shuddered to think what fate would befall him if he came back without his human.
He stopped outside the room that his lord had been patiently waiting in for the better part of an hour and lifted a shaky hand to the door. Before his pale knuckles touched the door he heard his master tell him to enter.

“Where’s Rin?” he asked annoyed. He shouldn’t have had to wait on that girl, much less for a girl who didn’t show up.

“Forgive me my Lord, but I was unable to find her. Earlier this evening she went to ride on the Ah-Un. I do not believe that she has returned yet,” he said shakily.
Sesshoumaru turned to face his servant. He knew he hated his Rin. He knew that he thought he was too superior to Rin to have to watch her. His shortcomings were becoming too costly. He let him know with one look that any further mistakes would cost him his life on his way out of the door.

When he came to stand outside he noticed that Rin’s flowery scent had mixed with that of the rain, making it impossible to tell which way she headed. He growled deep in his throat at her cleverness. She had left on purpose and it angered more than it should have. He wanted her back with him, but he was too proud a demon to go and bring her back.

‘She’ll come back eventually,’ he thought. At least somewhat convinced, he headed back inside to look over some more maps of the Western Lands.

><><><><><><><> ;<><><><><><><><><>&l t;><><><><><><><><><& gt;<><><><><

“Mama! Mama! Pick me up! Hold me like you’re holding Srad.”

“Be quiet Rin,” her mother hushed her. “You’ll wake him. Be good and go sit in the wagon and go to sleep. You must be tired too.”

“But I’m not tired,” Rin whined.

“Don’t make me tell your father,” she warned.

Rin solemnly walked to the back of the wagon and climbed on and under the tarp thinking how unfair mother was acting. Ever since Srad was born, she acted like there was no time for Rin anymore. The wagon came to a stop soon and Rin peeked out from under the tarp to see bandits facing her father. She couldn’t make out the words, but he was definitely worried for his life. She dropped the tarp over her eyes as she saw a bandit raise his sword to her father.

Her mother’s screaming. Her mother’s silence. Srad’s wailing. The sound of a sword cutting easily through flesh. The evil cackling of the bandits.

Rin woke up in a cold sweat, whimpering softly. She hadn’t had that dream since…since before she had met Sesshoumaru.

She remembered back to earlier that night to where she and Souten were giggling at making such a clean escape. Maybe too easy of an escape. She vaguely remembered changing for dinner and the light talk they shared about Laimei Valley’s at its best.

Then they turned in for the night. She wanted to go back to Sesshoumaru, but knew that’s exactly what he was expecting her to do. She wanted him to be happy, even if it meant her unhappiness. She owed him that much. She owed him her life. Silent tears streamed down her cheeks, unchecked, for an hour before she cried out and drifted back off to sleep.

><><><><><><><> ;<><><><><><><><><>&l t;><><><><><><><><><& gt;<><><><><

Author’s Note:
Wow! My chapters end too sadly, don’t they? I don’t mean them to be saddening, but it seems that there’s no other way for them to end. After all, this is a very emotionally challenging time for Rin and Sesshoumaru (even though he’d never say so!). Still awaiting sword names. Promise the next chapter will be better. And by better I mean less teary moments.