InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Devotion ❯ Teary-Eyed Farewells ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
These things are getting annoying

Thanks to my mom’s quick thinking we found a Holiday Inn with free wifi. So, I thought I might as well try to upload something. I wrote this kind of quickly because I need my rest so it may be fairly short. But, better something than nothing, right? Hope you like it, review it, Enjoy!

><><><><><><><> ;<><><><><><><><><>&l t;><><><><><><><><><& gt;<><><><><

Teary-Eyed Farewells

After cleaning up the rest of the blood that Rin hadn’t been able to, Sesshoumaru went to his room to think. He had slowed his heartbeat so that a blush wouldn’t rise to his cheeks as she cleaned him. He wouldn’t have had to trouble himself with that if she had just listened. He had only been coming from hunting. Had he not told her that the blood was not his? Then he had told her to stop. It wasn’t as if he had yelled at her, but his tone was so unfamiliar that she was taken aback. Perhaps he shouldn’t have been so harsh. She had only wanted to help.

He sighed. She truly was unlike any other human he had ever encountered. Her heart had never carried the feelings of contempt or hatred. She demonstrated that constantly when she was here. Despite the way his servants treated her, she was always friendly in turn. He often wondered why he had allowed her to follow him. Of course, she was indebted to him with her life, but there was more to it than that. Sesshoumaru didn’t feel inclined to think on his feelings any longer, so he walked out of his room to continue the tedious task of protecting the Western Lands.

The girls went to bed after their discussion, but not before the demon-girl thoroughly advised Rin not to go anywhere near Sesshoumaru. She may have been a grown woman, but she was still in her lord’s ward, and more moral than Souten would have thought possible. Last night she found out that since Rin’s family’s death she had never told a lie, and if confronted by her lord, would tell him everything. This was a bit confusing to Souten, her being a strategic genius, a position that relied on manipulating people and situations. But, seeing as how this major flaw in their plan couldn’t be helped, she did what any great mastermind would do: she worked around it.

Rin was very worried about today. To make things run a bit more smoothly, Souten had given Rin specific directions on what to do today. First she had told her to sleep, because today could be mentally taxing. Instead, Rin had stayed up all night in a restless fit, unable to get what she was about to do out of her head. Considering how things were going, today was going to be a very, very long day.

The list was very short, yet thorough. I consisted of only four directions. Get a good nights sleep, Avoid places that he could easily find you in, Don’t leave anything behind that would give us away, and Take the Ah-Un to Laimei Valley an hour before the sun sets. Simple enough directions to follow, except for avoiding Lord Sesshoumaru.

She felt an excited sensation on the back of her neck. She suddenly had got the feeling that Souten’s Thunder Pike was outside of it’s case and went to Souten’s room to investigate. Not surprisingly, the inhabitant of the room was also there.

“What are you doing here? You should be…somewhere else.”

“That wasn’t on the list.”

“Do I have to tell you everything?”

Rin really was in no mood for this right now, so she shrugged off the comments. “Did you take out the Thunder Pike again?”

“No. Why?” she asked, puzzled at this change in subject.

“I could’ve sworn…I guess it was just my imagination.”

“Yeah…” Souten muttered, eyeing Rin carefully.

“Well, I’m going to go pack. See ya!”

“See…ya,” she sighed the last word to air because Rin had already closed the door behind her. She was acting very wired today. More so than usual. But, she was about to leave the love her life who was too stupid to see how wonderful Rin was and just how lucky he’d be to have her by his side forever. Just the thought made her heartsick.

In her room, Rin was packing what few things she possessed for her stay in Laimei Valley. When she had closed her bag, her eyes came to rest on the sword beside it and tears began to fall. It was her most prized possession. Then she began to laugh, remembering the sword’s forging. Just for her.

At first, Totosai had been completely unwilling to make her a sword and it was funny to see Sesshoumaru get so annoyed. He said that he only made demon swords and that he’d never make a demon sword for a human. Sesshoumaru then held Tokijin out to her to see if it would have any effect on her. Rin took it obediently and it pulsed once beneath her small fingers before falling still.

Now, make the sword,” her lord had ordered the old man.

I’ll need a source of demonic power.” Sesshoumaru produced a bag of demon bones for the sword.

It should be done by the end of the month,” he said shakily.

I’ll be back at the end of the week,” her lord had stated with an order in his tone. Fortunately for him, Totosai got his meaning. The next week the sword was finished.

This one was really difficult to make for a girl like her. But, I made it so the sword will grow with her. And as for the sheath, it expands depending on the size of the sword.”

Rin…”Sesshoumaru called her to take the sword.

Thank you Master Totosai!” she said, giving him a small bow and a toothy grin. She was so cute that he had to pat her on the head and say ‘you’re welcome’ after presenting her with a sword of her own.

So many fond memories with her Lord. And now it was time to leave those behind, because she loved him. He probably thought of her as nothing more than a devoted servant who had, lately, become quite bothersome. The thought brought up fresh tears, falling freely.

“You’d want my help now, yes?”

‘This thing again,’ she thought annoyed. “No, I don’t need any help from the likes of you.”

“I’ll be watching when you need me, yes I will.” The voice said, even as it faded away.

She wondered how long it had been watching her and shuddered. Then she hastily hid her belongings in the top drawer of her dresser before returning to her friend’s temporary quarters.

><><><><><><>< ><><><><><><><><><> ;<><><><><><><><><>&l t;><><><><

One day. That’s how long they had before they would enter the Western Lands at their steady walking pace. They cold make it by the end of the night if it proved a necessity. However, that was the complete opposite idea of what InuYasha had in mind. In fact, InuYasha wasn’t planning on getting that far. But, since the Shikon Jewel still hadn’t resurfaced and they were still traveling in the same direction, he began to get a bad feeling about this final shard.

“Kagome, I don’t like this. It’s just a bit too coincidental that the final shard is in the last place I would want to go.”

“Yeah, so? It’s not like we haven’t been dragged into traps before.”

“InuYasha, you really shouldn’t worry so much,” sighed Miroku. His constant sulking disposition was putting an obvious damper on the excitement of finding the last shard and disposing of the Jewel for good.

“But I thought that Sesshoumaru had no interest in the sacred jewel. Why would he be going to such great lengths to hide it?” asked Sango.

“Duh! Because he’s not the one who has it. He thinks that the jewel is insulting. To him, enhancing power by unnatural means makes you weak.”

“But then, who has it?” asked Kagome

As those four conversed heatedly over the whereabouts of the shard, Shippo and Kirara waited patiently for them to finish. Then they felt the rain on their bare skin and turned.

“I guess we’ll need to find shelter before it gets worse.”

“You can’t be se–,” InuYasha began, only to be cut off by Kagome jumping on his back.

“Let’s go dog boy!”

“Why does this always happen to me!” Luck had eluded him again and the group was now heading in to the Western Lands at full speed.

“It’s raining. Maybe we should wait until tomorrow to go to Laimei Valley,” pleaded Souten.

“No. We have to go today. I don’t know if I can take another day like this one.”

“Alright, but you’ll have to leave as soon as possible to avoid the worst of the storm. I’ll follow you in an hour.”

“Okay. I’ll see you later then,” Rin said as she slipped out into the hall and into her room. Then she went to the top drawer to retrieve her things before going in search of the Ah-Un. When she reached him he was a bit skittish of flying in the rain so Rin had to give him cinnamon sticks and pet him until he calmed down. Then she mounted the two-headed horse before taking to the sky.

Allowing herself one last look at her lords domain, she caught sight of a white ball of light returning to it.

“I love you my lord, and I’m sorry,” she whispered into the wind.

><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><>< ;><><><><><><><><><&g t;<><><><

Author’s note: I need a name for the sword, so when you send in reviews it would be much appreciated if you could send in names for the sword as well. Sorry I couldn’t preview this chapter to the reviewers.I should be back in about two days time. We'll see how it works out.