InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Devotion ❯ Love's a Game for...Three? ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
means evil. Here’s where things might get a little bit harder to follow. Italics mean it’s the human Rin, single quotations means it’s the demon Rin. Sorry that I freaked so many of you out with the whole souten and shippo dying and Rin becoming a demon, but read what’s at the end of the chapter and we’ll go from there. Ok?

-------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------
Love's a Game for...Three?

Emerald green eyes opened to the room around her. The human Rin had been overshadowed by all of the demons now inhabiting her body. She stretched her now clawed fingers before standing. There was a burning on her left side. She looked down to see Hinotsume radiating fire. ‘So my own sword would defy me?’ She picked the sword out of her obi and flung it across the floor.

‘Damn. This girl was stronger than I thought. She still retains the smallest amount of purity. Still, I can’t waste time.’

‘The Jewel. Bring me the Jewel of Four Souls!’

The demon Rin tore out of the room and was in front of Kagome’s room in seconds. Her head turned at the sound of Sango yelling at Miroku. In an instant, her claws had torn through their bodies. No! Sango! Miroku! The human Rin protested fiercely to killing her friends, but her voice never reached outside of the dark prison as she saw them die before her eyes.

‘Too bad for them. If they had stayed quiet they might have lived.’

“Rin!” Kagome gasped. She had seen the whole thing. She had an arrow raised at her friend.

“I don’t want to hurt you.”

“Do you think that your priestess powers will work on me?” Rin raised her hand and the purple aura around the arrow dissipated. Then she darted in front of Kagome, grabbed her throat, and pinned her to the wall at least a foot above the ground. “Now, be a good girl and give me the Jewel.”

“Never!” she clawed at the hands trapping her, but to no avail. Where was InuYasha? He should have been back by now.

“Then I’ll have to take it by force.” No! Not Kagome! Why am I doing this? Claws cut through the flesh of her neck, breaking the chain holding Shikon no Tama around her neck and dropping it into her waiting hand.

‘Just one shard left.’ No! Don’t kill Souten! ‘Shut up! Your efforts are useless. You are too new to this demon body. You don’t yet have the power to control it.’

Two seconds and she was in front of the room holding the Thunder Pike. The door was cracked and she could see that Shippo and Souten were both inside. Rin made quick work of Shippo and when Souten turned around to see what had happened, she sliced through both her and the Thunder Pike. What have I done?

The final shard flew into the air and Rin caught it.

“Rin. Why?”

Rin looked down at the dying Thunder Beast beneath her with a twinkle in her demonic green eyes. “If you had been a better friend, you would have seen how badly she was hurting. But no. You were too selfish and spent all your time with that fox demon.”

Rin heard Souten’s final breath and a wicked smile spread across her face. Why did I say that? ‘You said that because it’s what you were feeling. She wasn’t there when you needed her. If she hadn’t been spending her time with him, things might have turned out differently.’
She pushed the final shard in place and held it between her hands. The Jewel fused together with a bright light. It was finally complete.

-------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------

L ord Sesshoumaru had finally reached Laimei Valley. He was standing outside of Souten’s home. Now he understood why she was so reluctant to leave his domain. This place looked dismal.

He wasn’t surprised when Rin came outside. However, it seemed as if she was. When that passed, an evil smile crossed her face. This couldn’t be her, and yet it was.

“Lord Sesshoumaru, how nice to finally see you. I’m afraid you’re a bit too late.”

“For what?”

“Handsome too. I can see why she gave it all up. All for you. Humans are strange creatures aren’t they? But, I suppose they don’t have an eternity like we do. But, I suppose we can spend the rest of our lives together,” she said while circling him. “Whaddya say? In that way, at least I’d keep my promise.”

His golden eyes gazed into unfamiliar green ones. Except for that and the claws, everything was the same. “Where’s Rin?”

“What the hell?” it was InuYasha. This was something Sesshoumaru had to handle himself. Poison seeped from his fingertips and he cut his half-brother across the chest, killing him. He hadn’t used his acidic poison, so he could revive him later…if he felt like it.

“ My, you are strong. I don’t think I like that name: Rin. From now on I want to be addressed as…Akuhei. I think it goes well with yours.”

“My patience is wearing thin with you. I will not ask again,” he said, unsheathing Toukijin.

“I’m right here. Honestly, it hurts that you don’t recognize me.” Her flingers clenched around the black Jewel within them.

It couldn’t be her. He sniffed the air. He definitely smelled the scent of wildflowers, but mostly it was just the smell of hundreds of demons. One of his rare smiles crossed his usually emotionless face. Rin’s became twisted in anticipation. “Just like Naraku.”

Her eyes opened wide. That one sentenced echoed to the centers of her soul where the human Rin was struggling against his dark and empty confines, but she stopped at his words.

Is what I did wrong? Does he hate me now?

‘Shut up!’

No! I can’t do this anymore! If he is unhappy with me, then…I have to go back to being a human.

‘Try it! The demon energy is all that sustains you now. If you try to escape it, you will die!’

I…I don’t care! I’ve disgraced him. For that I… I deserve death. A single tear fell down her cheek.

‘No! I won’t let you!’

Sesshoumaru was a little confused at what he saw. First a tear fell down her cheek and then she started backing away from him with a horrible grimace on her face. What was going on?
This isn’t in your hands anymore. And with that, Rin pushed all of the demons out of her body, collapsing to the ground and gasping for air. In a matter of seconds, she had died and an almost clear Shikon Jewel rolled out of her hands.

----------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------

Sess houmaru gazed at her lifeless body and was about to turn away when he felt his chest leapt into his throat again. He couldn’t leave her. Leaving her to die meant leaving her forever. It meant no more smiles. It meant no more laughter or flowers or silly questions that he was sometimes reluctant to answer. He walked over to her against his will. She had dishonored him, yes that was true, but she owed him her life. He knew she would gladly spend the rest of her life making up for it.

A small breeze sent her scent into his nostrils and he breathed it in deeply. He breathed it in as if it were the last time. If she was dead, if he left her, it meant never smelling what seemed to be a mix of every wildflower imaginable to man in one place again. He growled low in his throat. He couldn’t be without those things so quickly. It would drive him mad. Was this what love was? Was it loving the small things about someone? Was it not being able to do without them…forever? Never seeing their face again, never touching them, never breathing their scent.

Did he love Rin?
------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------
Rin opened her eyes to blinding whiteness. Am I dead?

“Yes, Rin. I’m afraid you are dead. But you knew the consequences of your actions before you made them.”

She looked familiar. “Are you the priestess Midoriko?”

“I am.”

“Where am I? Why am I here?”

Midoriko chuckled slightly. “Do not worry. I have plenty of time to answer all of your questions. Time passes differently inside the Shikon Jewel.”

“I’m in the Jewel! But how?”

“I am one with the Jewel and you are one with me. When you died the other part of my soul that resided in your body, came back to the rest of itself. And as for the more complicated reason of why you are here, it’s because you purified the Jewel.”

“How did I do that?”

“You demonstrated all of the Four Souls with purity. Arami-tama: You showed immense courage by standing up to Sesshoumaru and trying to help him in his weakened state. Nigimi-tama: When you stole food and followed him, risking your own well-being, you offered him friendship even though, at the time, he didn’t return it. Kushimi-tama: Sesshoumaru is not an easy person to understand. You had more patience with him than most, and showed true wisdom by doing what was best for him, even though he didn’t yet understand. By leaving him, you allowed him to finally realize his feelings for you. And Sakimi-tama: You gave up your life for Sesshoumaru’s happiness, showing true love.

“But, I’m not ready to leave him yet.” She was dead. That meant never seeing him again. As reality overcame her, her heart broke all over again. She had thought this for the best, but it hurt so badly.

“And you won’t have to. I have already died, but your soul is not completely mine. After so many centuries apart, your soul has become completely your own. Sesshoumaru will awaken you soon. I can grant your wish, and this time you will have complete control of yourself. If I allow the demon inside the Jewel to overtake it, you will also become a demon. However, if you choose otherwise, the Jewel will become pure and you will inherit all of my powers.”

If she became a demon, she could be with Sesshoumaru forever. He might even agree to take her as his mate. But, something in Midoriko’s eyes was pleading for her not to. If she did as Midoriko wanted she would have the power to purify any demon. She would be so much stronger a human than she was now. But…Midoriko had said that he was about to revive her. Did that mean he liked her the way she was?

What Midoriko wants is… What does Lord Sesshoumaru want?

“Rin, this is a decision you must make for yourself. You must make it without my opinion or Sesshoumaru’s in mind. Quickly, I can feel his sword pulsing.”

That being said… “I choose to be…to be…a…

------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------

How’s that for a cliffhanger? I bet this will be completely frustrating to all of you.
(Grins evilly)

But seriously, so many people were like “Rin shouldn’t be a demon” that I decided to let you guys decide. I’ll try to give you two or three days to vote on this, but keep in mind what will happen on both sides. And take into account how much you want this couple to be together, okay?

Personally, I want her to be a demon because if she’s human then that means hanyou children (assuming he agrees) and InuYasha will tease and that will just be a hard life. But…I’ll put aside my selfish desires for those of my faithful reviewers.