InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Devotion ❯ The One My Heart Beats For ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I know that I probably shouldn’t have done this, but I borrowed a line from one of Alice Hoffman’s books called The Foretelling. It just fit so perfectly into the story that I just had to use it. Consider this a disclaimer to that.

------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------------

Do I: the all-powerful Lord of the Western Lands love her: a mere human?

He looked over her lifeless body once more. She was beautiful. But not just physically. She was beautiful to him because he loved her.
Damn! He was succumbing to the same weakness that seemed to plague the men in his family. How could he let this happen?

Weakness? Did loving a human make you weak? Instead of making excuses as to why you’ll have to do without her, why not propose the benefits of keeping her? cried a voice in the back of his head. He remembered something that his father had told him when he was just a pup. He said: The weak are cruel, Sesshoumaru, the strong have no need to be. It is what separates demons like us from man and beast.

When he really thought back on his life, he realized that he hadn’t lived up to those words until after he had met Rin. She brought out the best in him. Besides, she had died just trying to please him. Forever a selfless and naïve girl, he thought. Then the Lord of the Western Lands did what no one would ever expect a seemingly coldhearted demon to do. He kneeled down and pressed his lips over hers, noting how her full lips complimented his. Still warm.

She was his match. In that instant, he knew that he could never go back, he could never force himself not to love her. It mattered not to him anymore, that she was human.
Tenseiga pulsed impatiently at his side. He unsheathed it obligingly and watched as the soul-stealing demons appeared before his eyes.

“Rin, this is a decision you must make for yourself. You must make it without my opinion or Sesshoumaru’s in mind. Quickly, I can feel his sword pulsing.”

That being said… “I choose to be…to be…a…priestess.”

“Your will be done, Rin. Take this, it’s Sesshoumaru’s left arm. I wish you happiness.”
There were so many questions that Rin wanted to ask. Unfortunately, before she could even open her mouth, Rin heard a buzz fill her head. As it grew in intensity, she fell to her knees, clutching onto Sesshoumaru’s disembodied arm and lost consciousness.

Sesshoumaru brought his sword arm down, killing the demons claiming Rin’s soul. As soon as the last one fell to Tenseiga, the Jewel beside Rin cleared and cracked, sending an incredible amount of energy outwards. There was a strong gust of wind, blowing Sesshoumaru’s long silver hair out of his face. Through the wind, he could hear Rin’s heart starting to beat again. As she opened her eyes, the Jewel of Four Souls turned to dust and the wind finally stopped.

Rin lifted herself off of the ground and looked at him. He noticed that her hair had grown three inches off of her head and in the shadow of that hair, she had the symbol of immense spiritual power gracing her forehead. Her chocolate eyes gazed into his golden ones for only a moment. Then she jumped up from the ground and wrapped her arms around him.

“Sesshoumaru,” she said gripping him tighter “I’m sorry…that I…disobeyed you. I should not have left in the first place. For my foolishness I have ended up causing you trouble and-”

Sesshoumaru lifted her face up from his chest and silenced her with a kiss. He was just glad to have her back with him. He had been…afraid. Though he’d never admit it, he had been afraid that Rin wouldn’t come back to him. Besides, when she got started talking nervously, it was kind of hard to make her stop.

Fireworks! That’s all that Rin felt when her Lord kissed her. She actually got weak in the knees. But something wasn’t quite right. She always imagined her first kiss: Sesshoumaru, his arms around her waist, holding her close. The way he was holding her was…Of course! How could she have forgotten his other arm? But it wasn’t there when she was revived.
It may not be here physically, but it’s here spiritually. I can call its physical presence by opening a barrier between the physical and spiritual realms.

How did she know all of this? These must be Midoriko’s memories. She opened her eyes to look at him before pushing away from him, but stopped when she saw InuYasha lying in a pool of his own blood.

“Is that InuYasha?” she asked, moving back a step as the memories flooded back.

“Are you not feeling well?”

“Sesshoumaru I…I k-killed everyone. I need you to revive them for me.”

He could tell she was distraught over the fact that she had slaughtered all of her friends. He wanted nothing to do with them. If they were weak enough to die by the hand of a demon like Naraku, then he shouldn’t feel obligated to revive them. But, if he didn’t, Rin might never forgive him. He eventually decided to revive them and then he could always kill them later. “Show me.”

Her face immediately brightened up with a smile. “Yes my Lord. But what about InuYasha?”

“He will be fine for the time being. Show me the first.”

First she led him to the hallway where Kagome, Sango and Miroku were. Then to the next hall where Souten and Shippo were lying. Finally, he revived InuYasha. He revived all of them, if only for her.

He began walking out towards the forest and Rin obediently followed. When Sesshoumaru was sure that InuYasha and none of the demons would be able to hear them, he turned around to face her.

Apparently he was stopping here for privacy so she saw no better opportunity than now to give him back his arm. “Thank you Sesshoumaru-sama!” she said bowing and smiling the smile he lived to see. “Now, I have something for you.”

Brief glimpses of physical calling flashed in Rin’s memory. She needed a circle and a strand of Sesshoumaru’s hair. There was a memory of calling to the spirit and bringing it to inhabit a physical prescence.

He watched as she bent down and made a circle with her hands in the dirt. “Could I please have a strand of your hair? I can’t finish until I do.”

Unbelievable! Hadn’t he done enough today? “Rin…”

“I wanted it to be a surprise. Please?” she pouted.

He hated her obvious influence over him. He had come to terms with not being able to have her leave a long time ago, but he never thought he would have dug a hole so deep as to fall in love with her. Despite his pride screaming for him to refuse, he was mildly interested in what she was planning. And when was the last time he had received a gift other than those flowery ringlets that she enjoyed making as a child? He gave her a small strand of hair from his bangs, his stoic face hiding his anxiousness.

Rin smiled as she placed the strand in the center of the circle. Then she stepped back and closed her eyes. Her brow creased in concentration as she searched for the arm on the spiritual plain and then brought it into contact with the hair. Her eyes opened to watch, brow creased in concentration, as the hair pulsated and grew into the haggard shape of an arm. A deep purple line appeared and wrapped around the arm. Finally, claws grew rapidly from the ends of the fingers and the completed figure of Sesshoumaru’s arm lay before her.

Rin picked it up and turned around with a prideful smile, holding the arm as in offering. The smile disintegrated when her eyes met his.

“You’re not pleased. I’m sorry, I thought–” she was on the verge of tears.

That arm had failed him, and to a half-demon like InuYasha no less. He didn’t really want it back, but he could find some pretty good uses for it. For example, he could hold InuYasha down by the throat when he killed him. Yes, there were definite advantages to keeping it.

“I will accept it.”

“What?” she said slightly confused. The response she got was his familiar stare. He didn’t like to repeat himself and she was sure she had heard correctly, but was hesitant to believe it.

“I’m not weak anymore Sesshoumaru. You don’t have to watch over me anymore to make sure that I’m not picked off by some stupid demon. I just wanted to thank you for everything.”

He nodded and she knew that he understood what she was really saying. He accepted her and her gift. She walked over to his left side and positioned the arm where it should have been. He felt the odd tingling sensation of flesh and bone knitting itself back together for but a brief moment. He supported the weight of his own arm and flexed his fingers to see how they functioned after so little use.

“Does it please you, Sesshoumaru-sama?” she asked apprehensively.

“Yes.” That smile. The smile that was his undoing. He extended his right hand for her and she took it without hesitation before he pulled her close and lifted her chin so that she looked into his eyes. There he saw an eternal devotion to him and he suddenly felt almost…giddy? that her heart belonged to him and no one else...ever.

They were so close. All he need to do was lean down and…

“I love you, Sesshoumaru.” It was the first time she had addressed him without his title. The thought made him crazy for her. It made him so happy to hear those words after so long that he just couldn’t suppress the smile that was tugging at his lips, so he figured he could hide it by kissing her.

Their lips met and the passion between them roared to life. Feeling a little bit more confident than last time, Rin snaked her hands into his silvery mane, deepening the embrace. Sesshoumaru, in turn wrapped his other arm tightly around her waist. She moaned into his mouth making him growl deep in his throat. He hadn't told her that he loved her too, but she didn't need to hear the words uttered from his lips. She could feel it in his kiss.

The whites of his eyes turned red behind closed lids. He tore his lips from hers as he traced kisses down her neck to the dip in her shoulder. Her breath was coming in short gasps as he paused over her. He could take her as his mate, right now and he was sure she’d only be too happy. But it would be painful and she didn’t yet understand all the responsibilities that would come with it. Even though he wanted this, he couldn’t let her make an uninformed decision.

He stepped back and Rin’s gaze dropped to the ground. A pink blush rose to her cheeks as realization dawned on her.

“Souten should be awake now right? I think maybe I should speak to her.” She felt like a child. Once again she was talking to fill the silence between them.

He picked her up bridal style and heard her heart rate spike considerably. Then he turned into a ball of light and when it dissolved they were in front of the Laimei Valley Castle once more.

Sesshoumaru set her down before telling her to return before tomorrow afternoon to explain things.

“Yes, Sesshoumaru.” She watched as he disappeared into a ball of light before she sighed in relief and discomfort as she knocked on the door, not entirely sure what to expect from the people behind it.

-------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------

Okay, so I know this wasn’t much of an ending to a chapter, but come on, it’s been like a month since I’ve updated at all. I wanted to give you guys something. I’m really really really really really sorry about the wait!