InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Devotion ❯ Without You ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
like to give another shout out to Kitycat. She wrote the flashback at the end of the chapter, though i did tweak it a little. Anyway, kind of a sad chapter, but for you guys who have been following the story, you know that i never put sad parts in without trying to convey a twist. Keep that in mind.

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------

Without You

Sesshoumaru awoke feeling calmer than he could ever remember. He breathed deeply and took in the smell of wildflowers. At first he thought he was in a field somewhere, but it didn’t feel like he was lying on hard ground. He opened his eyes slowly and realized that he was lying in the lap of his mate. In that moment, everything came back to him and his brief moment of calm was shattered.

She was perfect for him. She could calm him even at the height of his bloodlust, he was sure, and he loved her for that. And yet…they couldn’t be. But he’d be damned if he let her go. He gently lifted his head as not to wake her and she shifted slightly in her sleep. But this time, there was no smile. It was as if she knew that all was not well even in her sleep and it unnerved him. He decided that it was no longer safe for her to stay here with him. He would have to take her home before something happened.

“Rin…”

Her eyes opened immediately. They were slightly red and very tired. She had been sleeping, but it was a restless sleep that barely brought her into unconsciousness. The type of sleep Sesshoumaru usually had.

“Yes.”

“You’re to go home.”

Her face spoke of her confusion. “What?”

“I’ve decided it would be safer for you in the Western Lands.”

“Will you come with me?”

“I have matters to deal with here. I should be back tomorrow.”

“But–”

“No, Rin.” He knew what she was going to ask and he couldn’t let her stay. Didn’t she understand the danger? Here, he wasn’t sure he could protect her. Sure, his power was unmatched by any individual demon here, but he was pitifully outnumbered.

He was sending her away. Rin knew that it was for the best, but something felt wrong. She felt a strong sense of foreboding.

“I understand. Will anyone escort me?”

“We should speak with Masako.”

--------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------
< br> They knocked on the door of the conference room where Sesshoumaru knew Masako to be setting up for today’s meeting also.

“Enter.”

“Masako…”

“Sesshoumaru. And Lady Rin. How may I help you?”

“I require five guards and one of your carriages.”

Truth be told, Masako wasn’t at all thrilled at the prospect of simply giving Sesshoumaru this tall order. But, Sesshoumaru demanded the proper respect and he was an honorable demon. They would be returned in due time. “Of course.”

Masako went through the course of dealing with Sesshoumaru’s request after asking Fumiko to take care of the pending meeting preparations. It was not long before the rest of the council was awakening that Rin was ready to be seen off.

After she stepped into the carriage he waited before closing the door. He leaned his head inside of the carriage. “Rin. Stop that.”

She looked down and noticed that she had been wringing her hands in anxiety.

“I’m sorry. I couldn’t help it.”

“You know how to protect yourself. If the need arises, use what I have taught you.”

“I know.” Somehow the thought wasn’t comforting. She looked at him and he captured her lips in a quick kiss, quieting her fears.

“You need to be strong, Rin.”

“I will be. I promise.” With that he closed the door and watched them head off in the direction of the Western Lands. She had better be careful. He thought before turning back to Masako’s domain.

---------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------

The y had been going along for quite some time. Rin had watched Sesshoumaru out of the back window until he disappeared. Then she cried briefly before becoming reserved to the mind numbing emptiness of travel without him. She was peering outward through the left curtain when the carriage came to a stop. She sat straight up in confusion and listened hard.

“What do you want?”

“That all depends on what you’ve got to give.” Bandits?

“Oscuromaru. Stand down.”

“Yes Master.” It was not long before she heard the screams of the guards. She wondered what human could be so strong as to take down five demon guards. The whole time she stayed stock still in fear. After all, she had seen her “family” die at the hands of bandits.
Soon everything grew quiet. But the silence was short lived. “Men, take what you can find.” Jeers were raised as she heard the bandits move closer towards her. When they finally opened the door, she gasped.

“Well, there’s no gold in here, but I think we’ve found something much nicer don’t you men?” They all nodded in reply as they undressed her with their eyes, making her feel soiled. No one but Sesshoumaru was allowed to look at her like that. Just then, the man who had opened the door reached for her. Considering the width of the carriage, it wouldn’t be too hard for her to leave through the other side, so that’s what she did.

She slammed the door behind her, knocking down her would be captor, and unsheathed Hinotsume. With a quick flick of her wrist she sent a trail of fire around the carriage, which quickly consumed it with the bandit inside. Before she could do more, two of the men grabbed her from behind and Hinotsume clattered to the ground. Just when she thought that she was trapped, their leader told them to stop.

“Let me see her.” The circle of woman-hungry bandits opened as they let their leader in. “My you are beautiful.”

“I am taken already.”

“Then there is no need for me to stop my men.” That was all those filthy bandits had to hear before they closed in tighter.

Protect me.
Protect whom?
Protect me. Keep me safe. Keep us safe.

She wasn’t entirely sure what was happening, but she knew that these men would harm her. She couldn’t let them do that. She had to fight back. She felt a pulsing from deep within her. It was a pulse of power. Her blood grew more powerful. The dormant demon blood that had begun to mix with her own during her first transformation began to rush. She felt the way she had when she had been a demon.

She felt changes coming over her. Her nails and incisors grew and her ears grew pointy. The world turned red before her eyes. She had to kill them. She had to kill them all. She had to protect.

The men stepped away from her as the violent changes took place. But by the time they had enough sense to run, it was too late. She pounced on them and slaughtered them all. Their almighty master didn’t even seem to care. But, for kicks, she decided to leave one alive.

“Go! I leave you to your life only to deliver a message to Lord Sesshoumaru in the Northern Lands. Tell him of me. If you do not, I will track you down and kill you!” He wet himself and began scurrying to his feet clumsily as he fled and began his journey.

“Beautiful as well as strong.” At the sound of his voice, she spun around quickly.

With her demonically inclined nose, she was able to smell his demon blood. His blood reeks of fire. She growled.

“Phoenix.”

He chuckled before sending a column of fire around her. Rin screamed, but not from the heat. The column was far enough away from her that she wouldn’t burn, but it created a vacuum that robbed her of air. She felt light headed before passing out.

Once he was sure that she was unconscious, he let down the column and approached her. She’s even more beautiful when she’s sleeping. He sniffed her neck and smelled the dog demon’s mark. If he remembered correctly, Sesshoumaru was the Lord of the Western Lands now, assuming nothing he was unaware of had happened.

He took her in his arms and two orange wings sprouted from where two larger slits in his kimono revealed his back. As he flew away with her, her nails, ears, and fangs shrunk. It was then he smelled something else, something that had been covered by her demonic state and the blood of the fallen men and demons. Perhaps she would serve a better purpose as bait.

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------

Mind- numbing. Boring. Stupid. Sesshoumaru was going through all of the words to describe these annual meetings if only to keep his thoughts from Rin. He didn’t know why, but he felt as if something was wrong. He looked up with everyone else as a feminine hand knocked on the door.

“I’m sorry about this gentlemen. Enter!” To everyone’s surprise, it was merely a servant girl, not the Lady of the house. “Mihii, this had better be important.”

“Forgive me my Lord, but there is someone here to speak with Lord Sesshoumaru.”
Masako and Sesshoumaru’s eyes met but when they knew that neither of them knew what was going on, Masako turned back to Mihii. “Send them in.”

A soiled human scurried past the servant girl and prostrated himself before the council. They cringed their noses in disgust at the smell.

“Lord Sesshoumaru, my Master has taken your woman.”

He was furious to have let this happen, but he acted as if it didn’t matter. He merely smiled. The other demons grew wary. Sesshoumaru only graced people with smiles before he killed them. “And who is your master, human?”

“Master Takachi.” Caspian flinched and Sesshoumaru acted as if he didn’t notice.

“Hmm…” The human looked surprised that he would be left with his life. Sesshoumaru, wishing to end the hopeful look on his pitiful face, killed him with his poison claws. As the others watched him disintegrate, Sesshoumaru turned to Caspian. “And what do you know of this Caspian?”

“Takachi was one of my tribe once. Because of his greed, I banished him.”

There was something else going on here and Caspian was a part of it. But, perhaps he would let him live to see what he could get out of him later. Right now, he had to find Rin. He simply left the castle and no one dared to stop him for even they could sense his bloodlust rising.

As he flew out on the route that Rin had traveled only a few hours before, he thought to himself, How could she let his happen? How could I let this happen? Maybe it would have been wiser to keep her here, especially so considering she was with child. But that is why I sent her away in the first place.

Yes, he had known she was pregnant for quite some time. He had known since that night.
It was the night they celebrated 10 years since they’d met each other. Rin was in the garden picking her favorite flowers, like she used to do when she was but a child. She picked them for the anniversary because they would go with her other special gift.

After she chose the most beautiful flowers in the garden she headed to their room hoping that Sesshoumaru wasn’t there so she’d have time to prepare. Luckily, he was in his study trying to work, but to no avail. Ever since he took Rin as his mate, she brightened up his life in a way that no one else could, making anything else seem rather boring.
He eventually began turning her anniversary present over in his hands. It was something he had custom made for her. Though he knew she wasn’t particularly interested in lavish gifts, he loved spoiling her with some of the most beautiful things he could find. He had a pink lotus flower made out of rose quartz with a lavender jade crescent moon resting upon it.

Meanwhile, Rin was in the room arranging the flowers. She got dressed in a beautiful kimono; Sesshoumaru’s personal favorite. It was white at the top, slowly flowing down to a blue as dark as night, figures of red roses scattered all around.

He soon tired of just looking at his gift, he wanted to see it on his mate so he tucked it into his obi and headed for their room. When he arrived, he found a room full of flowers and in the middle of them, the most delicate and by far the most beautiful flower of all: Rin.
She called his name shyly, and then went to him to see his reaction to her surprise.

Sesshoumaru saw a lack of control of ones emotions as weakness, but with her it seemed as if he didn’t have to hide that part of him because she could see it in his eyes anyway. He grinned and hugged her gently.

Then she brushed her lips against his, closing her eyes, opening them when Sesshoumaru put his hands on her shoulders, pushing slightly. She looked disappointed, almost asking way he stopped the kiss. It was obvious by now what her gift was, so before things went any further, he wanted to give her his. He reached inside his obi and produced the little ebony box where the ring was. He presented her the tiny box and she looked at him curiously before opening it. When she did her eyes seemed to sparkle with amazement as she had a short intake of breath. She must have thought he wouldn’t remember something so small and trivial, but he could never forget anything in his life involving her. Her smile was so radiant. Sesshoumaru took the ring from the box and slid it onto her left ring finger.

After that she threw her arms around his waist and he did the same, letting his hands travel a little bit lower as a wicked smile graced his features. She gasped and he crushed his mouth to hers, savoring it. She tasted so sweet and innocent and looked so beautiful with her eyes closed. After a couple of minutes, they broke the kiss gasping for air. In her excitement, Rin started taking off his clothes as he sat bare-chested in front of her so she could trail wet kisses all over his neck and chest. That treatment from his shy mate sent shivers all over his body. She stopped and threw her head back as he began pushing down her kimono, slowly reveling the beautiful creamy flesh he longed for and following the cloth with kisses.

When she realized that his electric caresses had stopped, she looked at him and noticed his heated gaze roaming her body and blushed lightly. However, her need for him was piqued and the embarrassment was swiftly overshadowed as her beautiful chocolate eyes clouded with lust. She kissed him with a newfound urgency leaning sideways as he pulled her onto the king sized bed that was filled with white and red roses petals. He laid her on the bed and caressed her slowly relishing in the little moans she emitted and the way she arched her back, aching for him.

Even if she was bathed in the scent of the roses surrounding her, he could smell very clearly her specific scent of wild flowers. He could also sense her heightened fertility, meaning that if they continued, she would almost certainly get pregnant. At that moment, he didn’t really care if he were to father half-demons as long as Rin was there to be the perfect mother that he knew she would be. So he made love to Rin with the passion of every restrained emotion he’d had in all his years and knew he’d never regret it.

-------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------

A uthor's Note: So how'd you like it? If you thought this was a little bit more than teen content, tell me and i'll be happy to tweak it again. But before I make a decision, i'll have to take the majority of reviews before i update my next chapter.
I feel like i don't say this enough, but I LOVE ALL OF MY REVIEWERS! anonymous and accounted for alike.