InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Devotion ❯ The Road to Love was Never Easy ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
song I used in this chapter is "Save the Best for Last" by Vanessa Williams. If you haven't heard it, you really need to becuase it sounds like a lullaby and goes really well with the story. Some of you know this already, but some of you don’t. This is NOT an epilogue. I decide to lengthen the story. I wanted to give a shout kitycat higurshy out to for your support. That said, I hope you enjoy the continuation and curse the snag. (you’ll see what I mean)
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------

The Road to Love was Never Easy

“Mmmm,” Rin said as she stretched, just waking up, “Sesshoumaru.” She rolled over to hug him good morning, but he was not there. At first she was surprised, but as the drowsiness wore off, she remembered that he did this every morning. Of course he had to his patrol of the lands. Still, would it kill him to stay with her one morning?

She rolled out of bed and cracked the door to see if she would have to endure doing nothing once again. Sure it was nice to have not a worry in the world, but sometimes she liked to be left to herself. Outside, there were already servants waiting on her when she had barely opened her eyes.

“Oh, Lady Rin! How may we help you?” said one of her main ladies-in-waiting.

“Oh! Not today!”

“Especially today. You know today is the meeting of the lords don’t you?”

“Oh…right.” Sesshoumaru had told her that she was to accompany him to this meeting today. She was to be presented in front of the council. “In that case, do whatever you think would be best.”

“I’ll run your bath. Hitomi, set out her clothes, and Ayiki you will prepare her make-up and hair. The rest of you may to your duties elsewhere.” Sesshoumaru’s servants hadn’t always been this accommodating of her. But, ever since he marked her, things had changed. Everyone had a newfound respect for her and she was confident that, soon, that would mature into friendship.

After she finished a perfectly warm bath, she walked out to find the servants waiting for her. They had chosen the kimono that matched Sesshoumaru’s. It was one of his favorites. The seam was embroidered with cherry blossoms in a pattern that made it seem as if they were falling down her dress. They tied it with a baby blue obi and sent her over to Ayiki to do her hair and make-up. Ayiki was very talented at her job. It was said that she could make a monster look beautiful.

She styled Rin’s hair in a bun atop her head with a curtain of hair hanging down to her shoulders. Then she powdered her face, added red eye shadow and rouge and painted a purple crescent moon around the asterisk on her forehead. As she touched up the make up, Sesshoumaru entered.

“Is she ready?”

Ayiki stared at my face, looking over her work before she set down the brush. “Yes,” she said before bowing to her lord and exiting the room.

“How do I look?” Rin asked her mate.

“It won’t stand the trip.”

“Let me worry about that. So?” she said spinning around and smiling.

“You look nice.” If it was possible, her smile got even bigger. “It’s time to go.”

“Yes Sesshoumaru.” She quickly fastened Hinotsume into her sash and joined him at his side. She proceeded to create a purple orb of energy around them as he produced a cloud and they flew out over the balcony.

--------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------

They landed a little ways away from the domain of the Lord of the Northern Lands where the council was being held this year. Rin quickly dissolved the barrier and looked up to Sesshoumaru. He stared blankly ahead and she jumped slightly when he spoke.

“Rin…”

“Yes?” she asked softly. Anyone could see that right now he was very anxious.

“Be careful.”

“I’ll be on my best behavior and I promise not to do anything that would cause any problems.” He looked at her with a look that said you wouldn’t have to do anything. “Shall we go?” Sesshoumaru nodded solemnly and she threaded her left arm through his right.
When they reached the castle, Sesshoumaru noticed that much more of the council than usual had arrived. The meetings were usually quite tedious, time consuming, and boring so many of them usually made excuses as to why they could not attend. Perhaps it was not wise to reveal so much in his letter.

Rin could feel the tension all the way into his aura so she slowly stroked his arm until he let out a shuddering breath that he hadn’t known he was holding. She smiled weakly at him and he relaxed. Unfortunately, a small breeze picked up for a second, carrying their scents to the other demons. The females looked up mildly interested while trying to hide their feminine curiosity. The males however…stared at the woman on Sesshoumaru's arm. It didn’t last long because Sesshoumaru growled and all of the women regained their mate’s attention.

They began forward into the throng of demons when a single male demon approached them. He had pink eyes, red hair, and on his forehead was a black flaming feather. She had to admit that he was very handsome.

“Sesshoumaru. Welcome.”

“Caspian.”

“And who is this beauty?” he asked, taking Rin’s hand and brushing his lips across her knuckles. Sesshoumaru growled again as he reclaimed her hand in his.

“Does your mate have a name?”

“My name is Rin, Lord Caspian.”

“Of? I’m sorry, Lady Rin, but I don’t recognize your symbol.”

“I-” She didn’t know what to say and thankfully, she didn’t need to because the Lord of the Northern Lands came out to call the council together. “It is a pleasure to see so many of you this year. Please, follow me so that we may begin the meeting.”

“I’m sorry, but we’ll have to finish our conversation later, Lady Rin,” he commented before following the rest of the multitude. Rin was about to do so as well before Sesshoumaru squeezed her hand, telling her not to. As soon as he was sure Caspian was out of earshot, he began.

“That’s Caspian of the Phoenix demons. Be careful of him, his tribe is known for their manipulative nature.”

“Yes.” They walked together into the castle as large as Sesshoumaru’s if not larger. The lord of this castle was waiting for them at the door to the meeting room, as they were the last to arrive.

“Sesshoumaru! Wonderful to see you! And who is this?”

“This is my mate, Rin. Rin, this is Lord Masako and Lady Fumiko.” Though she wasn’t comfortable with him she smiled.

“I’m pleased to meet you as well.”

“Rin, Fumiko will take you to the other women.”

She looked uncertainly at Sesshoumaru. He kissed her palm and nodded his head towards Fumiko. Then he and Masako disappeared behind the door. Rin looked on like a cat left out in the rain. She looked miserable and Fumiko noticed.

“Lady Rin, you don’t want to be on the other side of that door. All they do is talk business, and boring business at that.”

“Oh, no, I just…”she trailed off. How was she supposed to explain that she felt uncomfortable here without him?

“Follow me.” Rin did as she was told and they eventually ended up in another room at the far end of the hall overflowing with chatty women. They all grew silent as Fumiko and Rin entered. “Ladies, Lady Rin of the Western Lands.”

They swarmed her and asked what seemed like an infinite number of questions. She began to get dizzy.

“Ladies! Calm yourselves! She can’t answer you all at once. Lady Asami, you first.” So for quite a bit of time, Rin answered all of their questions. But the question that was to be her undoing came from Lady Susumu.

“Lady Rin, how did Sesshoumaru and you meet?”

She wanted to tell the truth, but she pictured Sesshoumaru’s anxious face in her mind’s eye and remembered him telling her to be careful. That meant that if they didn’t recognize–even though they might suspect–that she was human, then she should keep it to herself. “He saved my life. I’ve followed him ever since.”

“And now you’re his mate? How romantic!” sighed Susumu.

“Ladies. The gentlemen must have finished by now. I will escort all of you to your rooms now.” She proceeded to lead all of us down the hall and other corridors to some twenty rooms. Rin’s was apart from the others.

“Lady Fumiko? Why is this room so far from the others?”

“Sesshoumaru usually likes his room apart from everyone else’s.”

“Oh, well thank you.”

“You’re welcome Rin. Good night.”

Rin had sat on the bed for a couple of minutes after cleaning her face and taking down her hair before Sesshoumaru entered quite audibly and began pacing in front of her like a caged animal.

“Sesshoumaru? What’s wrong?”
He looked at her as if it was the last time he would see her and she grew frightened. “I told them.”

“Oh…and?”

“The council does not approve.”

“Nobody has ever approved of this sort of thing.”

“There’s more…they want me to produce a full demon heir by the next year’s meeting or they will dissect my lands among themselves.” The silence stretched out between them and she sought to end it, to dissolve the hurt he was feeling, and to make him fell content once more.

“...Sesshoumaru…come here,” she asked tenderly. He climbed in bed with her and she cradled his head in her lap running her hand through his hair and gently stroking the magenta stripes on his face until he calmed down. Then she sang him to sleep like she did whenever he was tense. Her voice had matured as much as she had in the past years. It sounded like water it was so smooth and like songbirds it was so beautiful. Sesshoumaru’s eyes soon drooped.

“Sometimes the snow comes down in JuneSometimes the sun goes round the moonI see the passion in your eyesSometimes its all a big surprisecause there was a time when all I did was wishYou’d tell me this was loveIts not the way I hoped or how I plannedBut somehow its enough

And now were standing face to faceIsn’t this world a crazy placeJust when I thought our chance had passedYou go and save the best for last

All of the nights you came to meWhen some silly girl had set you freeYou wondered how you’d make it throughI wondered what was wrong with you

Cause how could you give your love to someone elseAnd share your dreams with meSometimes the very thing you’re looking forIs the one thing you cant see

And now were standing face to faceIsn’t this world a crazy placeJust when I thought our chance had passedYou go and save the best for last

Sometimes the very thing you’re looking forIs the one thing you cant see

Sometimes the snow comes down in JuneSometimes the sun goes round the moonJust when I thought our chance had passedYou go and save the best for last

You went and saved the best for last”
She listened to his breathing and was sure that he was asleep. She brushed a kiss over his forehead and smiled softly as he sighed. That’s when the doubts started. Maybe…maybe things would be easier for him if it were a real demoness who he was mated to. Maybe he’d be happier. But no, he had chosen her and he wouldn’t do that unless he really loved her. Doubly so, considering she was human.

Then why shouldn’t she shake this feeling? They were deeply in love, but she felt like he deserved better than what being with her would bring him. She cried into his hair until she too fell asleep. The whole time she wondered why just loving each other had to be so complicated.

----------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry to say, but my updates might be coming a little slower with all of this schoolwork and extracurricular activities. I hate school! It seems like i never have a free moment. If it seems like I've gone on for like ever without updating, e-mail me because I check it every day. I'll get right on it. Ja!