InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Devotion ❯ Save the Best for Last ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
lemon in this story. It is rated teen of course. I thought about it, but I was like, what do I know about things like that? So I barely described it. Hope it doesn’t take away from the intimacy.

-------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------

Rin was finally coming back and things would return to normal. This feeling of discomfort would finally dissipate. Then his thoughts quickly turned back to the kiss in the woods. He remembered how much he wanted to make take her as his mate. Perhaps things wouldn’t be so simple.

He also knew that she felt the same and was coming back for just that reason. He didn’t know what to expect of her when she arrived. Well then, he would just have to be prepared for anything. He entered his study and found the scroll he was looking for. It was a scroll on demon mating rituals. Then he reached into his desk and pulled out a necklace with a chalcedony crescent moon hanging from the end. It had been his mother’s.

He unrolled the scroll and placed the necklace in the center before rolling it back up causing only a slight bulge in the paper. Just then he heard tiny footsteps outside of his door. That stupid toad. He had failed and now he had the nerve to think that Sesshoumaru would even want to see him. He opened the door with enough force to make the insolent green toad smack into the other wall as Sesshoumaru walked in the direction of Rin’s room. He placed the scroll on her bed and left.

When he returned to his study, Jaken was there waiting for him…groveling. Even though it was proper for him to act as such, it was an eyesore. Especially so since he did it every time he make a mistake. And he made a lot of mistakes.

“Jaken,” he called.

“Uh, yes m-m’lord?”

“When Rin arrives, tell her that I will not be meeting with her. She should eat lunch and spend the rest of her day as she sees fit. Even you should be able to complete a task as simple as that.”

“Yes m’lord. Thank you.”

“Jaken, if you should be unsuccessful in this, I will tolerate your presence no longer.”

“No, my–” he tried to respond but was met with the sight of a closing door.

Sesshoumaru sat in his study going through the stack of letters from the Lords of the neighboring lands with the intent of finally answering some of them. He opened one with his sharp claws and began reading it.

Lord Sesshoumaru,
We are currently aware that you have yet to select a mate. This being the case, we request your presence at our daughter’s coming of age party. The Western Lands are not ensured to you, but to all of the Lords, until an heir is assured.

Lord of the Eastern Lands,
Jitsuryoku

Sesshoumaru flung the letter away with disgust. It was obvious that he should choose a mate soon but to have the neighboring lords badgering him about it was quite another matter. He pulled a clean sheet of paper out of his desk and began writing his reply.

Lord Jitsuryoku,

I will regrettably be unable to attend the celebration as a very important matter has arisen here that requires my complete and immediate attention. And as for the matter of choosing a mate, do not further concern yourself in the matter for I have done so already. She will be presented by the next meeting of the Lords.

Lord of the Western Lands,
Sesshoumaru


He couldn’t believe he actually graced that inquiry with an answer, but now was not the time to make enemies among allies. It was best to just respect the alliance and the trust that they shared in order to protect their lands together. He sat there growling for a short while before he picked up another letter determined to finish most, if not all, of it before he retired for the night. And he was there for most of the night, just opening and answering the overflow of letters that he had been neglecting.

------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------

As the Western Lands and Sesshoumaru’s domain came into view, Rin couldn’t suppress the contented smile that spread across her face. She was home.

“Ah-Un.” The two-headed demon horse grunted in reply as he descended from the air. She led him off to the stables and brushed their mane, nuzzling them slightly. Then she released them from their muzzles and saddle, covering them in a warm blanket before turning to leave. They grunted lowly.

“How could I have forgotten?” she smiled as she fumbled around in her kimono for two cinnamon sticks. Finding them, she fed each of them out of the palms of her hands and kissed them both on the muzzle. She left the stables approaching the castle when she saw a green speck flailing about wildly in an attempt to run with a staff threatening to tip him.

“Oh…Rin…I’m glad I found…you,” he said in between gasps of breath.

How did he get back? He must have left before she turned into a demon. The thought of him doing that made her especially intolerant. “Yes?” she asked with disdain evident in her tone.

“Uh, well, Lord Sesshoumaru asked me to inform you that he will not be able to meet with you for the rest of the day. You may use the time as you see fit.”

“Oh…” her heart sank. She really was looking forward to seeing him. “Well, he must be busy. I will not bother him. Thank you Jaken.”

“He suggested you start by eating. Are you hungry?”

Rin focused on her stomach and only then did she notice the tight, empty feeling in it. “Yes, I’m starving!”

------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------

Today had been a very rough day. Not only was Sesshoumaru absent the whole time but she struggled finding things to occupy her time. But no matter how hard she tried, her mind always wandered back to Sesshoumaru.

She opened the door to her room and stopped before her bed finding the scroll that had been placed there for her. She wasn’t in particularly tired so she opened the scroll across her bed. The first line in bold letters read:

A Brief Assembly of Demon Mating Rituals

Her curiosity piqued and all inklings of drowsiness gone, she opened the scroll further. Her eyes caught on a header describing the physical aspects of the mating.

If a demon is to meet with his or her predestined mate, then there will be a bond between them no matter how far they travel from each other. This means that their very existences are intertwined. Consequentially, both life spans will be affected and lengthened, or in more tragic cases shortened, by this union.

In order to complete the mating ritual, the male must mark the female with two fang marks at the base of her throat, mingling his scent with hers so that humans and demons alike will at least recognize that the female belongs to a demon.

‘So that’s why his fangs scraped over my neck’ she thought, subconsciously rubbing at it. She quickly scanned the farther down the scroll until she found something else.

Losing one’s predestined life mate can be a dangerous and traumatic time for the mate that has been left behind. Most go mad with longing and despair choosing death over an existence with an incomplete being. Ladies whose duty it is to take over the Lands neglect their duties and slowly die. It is aid to be unbearable to endure and painful to watch.

By this time, tears were rolling down her cheeks. How could Sesshoumaru want to endure this maddening loneliness? Why would he even try to do this alone? She unrolled the scroll to its full length in search of anything else that she could be missing. What she found made her gasp in surprise. In her pal, she held the most beautiful crescent moon necklace she had ever seen.

‘This must mean…’

She quickly clasped the necklace around her neck and tore out of the room in search of Sesshoumaru as hot tears of happiness and sorrow streaked down her face. She came to his bedroom and entered without knocking. Seeing him sitting on the edge of his bed with his head in his hands, she ran over to him and threw her arms around his waist.

“Sesshoumaru…” she whispered.

“Rin.” She heard the unasked question in his voice just by hearing him say her name.

“Yes, Sesshoumaru. I will. My answer will always remain the same and I’ll never leave you. Because I love you.”

He tightened the grip that had fallen over her when she flew into his arms and pressed his lips to hers. She whimpered from the intensity of it and equaled his passion as his lips ran over hers and his hands roamed her back.

The next thing she remembered, she was on her back and Sesshoumaru was leaning down to give her his mark. She shivered, but not from fear, as his fangs ran across her creamy skin before piercing it. She let out a small gasp of pain as he removed them, but it quickly turned to a sigh of ecstasy as he licked the wound.

It felt wonderful to smell himself mingling with his mate. When he saw the heated look she gave him, he lost control and made love to her right then and there. It was passionate but gentle, though his inner demon longed be unleashed, and he gathered her into his arms just as she fell into an exhausted sleep.

He felt so complete and he asked himself when had he ever felt that way. The answer: never. As he gazed down at Rin, he knew that she was his predestined and so long as he lived, he would never let anything harm her.

He was going to start a family with her and raise his pups to be strong despite their half-demon disposition. He kissed her forehead and inwardly smiled as a soft smile lit up her sleeping face. He lay there with his arms around her, thinking about the life they would share until he too fell asleep, his dreams inhabited by nothing other than his mate: an unlikely human girl named Rin.

------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------

Author's Note: The story’s not over yet. I will be making an epilogue. But boy was this chapter hard to figure out. Anyway, I’m hoping to get a few more reviews this time. Ten would be nice considering I know I have like 20 people being alerted to the update of this story.