InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Heart Will Never Know ❯ Naraku, Whatever Has Become ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
My Heart Will Never Know
By Moonraker One

A/N: Sorry if this chapter's a bit short. If I didn't do it this way I would have taken longer and many of you would crucify me.

CHAPTER THREE – Naraku, Whatever Has Become

Sesshomaru still couldn’t believe what he’d just seen. The two halves of the giant demon monster Kaagan lay in a misshapen circle of red snow, the color of which due to the creature’s blood. Just a few minutes prior, he had been a force of destruction towering at ten feet tall; his defeat probably would have taken Inu-Yasha–tetsusaiga and all–a whole thirty minutes to kill. He looked at the five foot seven woman in his presence, the horrifically powerful Kagome Higurashi, and would not have believed her capable of annihilating such a beastly demon with a single hit to his abdomen.
She saw him staring at her with gaping eyes. “You look like a deer in a bright light, Sesshy!” she called out, taking to the sky. “We’ve got one more spot to hit before nightfall!” He shook his head, snapping out of his sheer befuddlement. Indeed, she was pulling all of the strings.
“Who’s our next target?” he inquired, following her in the air. She pointed to a series of huts surrounded on all sides by forest.
“Who else? Naraku.”

***

Naraku stared into his jug of water, just before dipping his hands into it and throwing water on his face. News traveled fast between demons, and he’d heard just a short while before that the girl that journeyed with that bastard hanyou, Inu-Yasha, had become a demoness. He’d also heard, from one of his spy insects that Sesshomaru had become her personal servant, not to his will or preference. He cursed his luck; if she had the power to enslave a demon as adamant as the Lord of the Western Lands, what was to keep her from being a very powerful thorn in his side? He prepared his blade, and closed his eyes to begin his meditation. Suddenly a young one came charging into the room.
“Lord Naraku! Lord Naraku!” the child shouted. Naraku regarded the child with slight contempt; the little brother of that woman Sango always had been a problem when he was capable of self thought, and he possessed practically no spiritual power of any kind. Here, was the potential for an extraordinarily mighty being. “Demons are coming, my lord!”
“I know,” he said to the kid. “I wish to meditate to more properly focus my power.” With that statement, and a single waving motion of his hand, the kid scattered like a roach at the sight of daylight’s arrival. The powerful dark demon drew his eyes shut and forced himself into a calm, meditative state. It took him a while to properly get his mind off of the two targets that at this moment posed the greatest annoyance to him, but when he did, the room lit only dimly by the moon’s light shining in began to glow due to the now-visible aura of Naraku. Within moments after his meditation began, bolts of energy shot off of him. He pictured the battle between him and Kagome’s forces, which to the best of his knowledge, consisted only of herself and Sesshomaru.
You will die by my hand, Kagome, he thought to himself.

***

Sesshomaru and Kagome stood hundreds of yards apart, standing on the peaks of different mountains, staring each other down before the strike. This was part of a training session that he decided would be wise for them both to undergo. He wanted to see if her speed was as great as her strength, and she wanted him to see how great the gulf between her and him was. Even she did not fully understand the sheer immenseness of her newfound demon power, but he did. He predicted that the cause of her power was the fact that she simply had so much untapped spiritual reserve thanks to her time fighting evil on the side of Inu-Yasha. With a mere glance, she leapt, taking to the sky, and so did he.
“HEeyaaahh!” he shouted, rocketing towards her, his blade drawn and ready to attack. He attempted to slash at her midsection, but she lifted her right hand and stopped his strike…with her index finger and nothing more. The impact and the sharpness of the blade had no impact on her skin whatsoever. Infuriated, he drove several more powerful strikes in her direction, each time she brought the same finger into the path of the blade and stopped it with no effort. After an entire minute of going this way, she elbowed him in the gut and violently axe-handle smashed him towards the ground. Upon landing, he pulled his blade up to his shoulder for striking once again, and she smiled and waved her index finger in front of her face like a parent scolding their child.
“Sesshomaru,” she told him, “you need to put more force into your sword slashes, yet have the duration of the slash be shorter. Basically, quicker, stronger sword swipes and you should improve.”
He cleared his throat as a sign of confusion; since when did she become such a good teacher? “Kagome,” he inquired, “now you’re such an instructor of training due to your increase in power?” Her smile waned into a slightly peeved frown. In the space of his next eye blink, she moved a whole seventeen feet from where she stood to directly in front of him in a snap. Driving her fist into his abdomen faster than he could ever have seen even a blur, she sent him on a fast-moving trajectory into the nearest tree. He fell flat on his face and picked himself up; even when her punches were mere taps compared to what they could be, they still packed a great deal of force.
“You need to get rid of this ‘questioning my will’ habit,” she warned him. “If you disobey me again, I’ll hurt you a lot more severely next time.” He got to a standing position to see her with a moderately angry expression. He could not believe what had happened. She had just taken him completely by surprise and sent him violently into a tree with a single hit, and it wasn’t even anywhere near her full strength. It confused and angered him at the same time; how dare she treat him as though he were any demon just wandering around?! He was the lord of the Western Lands! No one told him what to do!
“You’re gonna DIE FOR THAT!” he shouted, bringing his sword down towards her forehead. She shook her head, but did not flinch. The blade made direct contact with her forehead…and shattered into a thousand pieces upon impact. He lifted the broken hilt up to his face, in incredulity that his most powerful sword ever had just broken from a single hit to her forehead. He took his attention off the blade only a second too late; she spun around and drove a roundhouse kick into the side of his head, breaking his neck immediately. Fortunately for him, she healed him with a bit of her energy before he hit the ground.
Lifting him to her eye level, she finalized the conversation with, “I OWN you Sesshy. You are my toy to play with–or break–at my will. You may be the Lord of the Western Lands, but I am powerful enough to kill almost anyone who comes my way. Wanna be the next notch on my gun, Sesshy?” Powerless to say otherwise, he shook his head to signify that he submitted to her will, after which she grinned and threw him down face-first into the dirt. “Good,” she ordered. “Now get me some food.” Although, for the life of him, he did not know what a “gun” was. “Get the pieces of your sword so I can redraw it.”

***

“Lord Naraku!” Sango’s little brother shouted, running into the room and shattering his master’s calm, quiet concentration. Descending slowly from his point three feet off the floor, he opened his eyes, stood up, and regarded the child with calm authority.
“What is it that requires the interrupting of my meditation?” he demanded.
The child peered behind him with slight nervousness. He pointed to a certain white-haired hanyou standing in the doorway, tetsusaiga drawn in attack mode, while looking slightly frightened at his master Naraku. “That bastard Inu-Yasha is here,” he merely announced. Immediately, Naraku drew his blade. Sango’s little brother wisely stepped aside, and let the two demonic titans of power stare each other down.
A evil half-smile cocked itself onto Naraku’s face. “What have I done to be graced by your presence, hanyou,” he asked.
Inu-Yasha did not hesitate to begin shouting. “Cut the shit, dark demon!” he barked. “I demand to know how you demonified Kagome!” To this the evil Naraku began to chuckle, and then he burst out laughing. This pissed off the dog hanyou. “I’m sorry, I believe I missed what was so funny! After all, if you lie to me I’ll cut you from ear to ear. Hell, I may just do it anyway!”
Me demonify that miserable human?! You must be a few fangs short of a tetsusaiga! I would never turn such a human into a demon! The simple fact that she is so pure would pose problems for everyone.” Although he wanted to launch himself forward and attack, Inu-Yasha heard the last statement by Naraku and it took him by surprise.
He cocked an eyebrow in confusion. “Why would it pose problems?”
Naraku rolled his eyes; did he really have to answer such an impetuous question? “When a human being is made a demon,” the dark demon carefully explained, “an amount of demon energy is required to ignite the process. The more demon energy that the person starting the process has, the more he or she must pump into the subject to ignite the transformation. Secondly, how powerful the subject becomes post-transformation, is determined by their purity of soul multiplied by the aforementioned demon energy; that becomes their new demon energy. I am a pure demon; it would require a huge amount of my demon energy being injected into her for me to catalyze the process. And it would become a problem, because I know of few beings more pure than herself prior to her demonification; she would easily be the most powerful being in existence.”
“So, what you’re saying is, if you had done it…”
“The world would belong solely to Kagome Higurashi,” Naraku interrupted. “No force would be powerful enough to stop her from conquering it all. Thus, she had to have gone to a person who had very little demon in them.”
Kikyo, who’d been standing behind Inu-Yasha the entire time, with bow and arrow held over his shoulder pointed at the dark demon opposite him, stepped out in front. “Wait! I have a few villagers learning how to survive in the wilderness as well as some other things from me and Kaede. One of them has a slight bit of demon energy in him! It’s probably why he’s many years older than the others and he still looks in his late twenties!”
Naraku smirked. “Then kill him; he never would have survived into the future, and she never would have gone to him for her revenge on you.”
“You KNOW I can’t just murder someone who hasn’t done anything yet!”
“Then why won’t you?” Inu-Yasha asked the dark demon in front of him.
The evil demon extended his arms at his side, and said, “Because I want to fight her at her full power. I want to take her virginity from her, and then break her body in my hands. I want to enjoy the finest kill I’ve had in a hundred years. Murdering a symbol of human perfection such as her will be my finest bloodshed.”
“You sick, sick demon,” Shippo cried, cowering in the corner behind Kaede.
Naraku cocked his head and formed a more evil grin than before. “Or maybe, I’ll produce an heir from her womb, and create the most powerful demon bloodline EVER!”
“I've heard enough,” Inu-Yasha screeched, a look of bloodlust in his eyes. He brought Tetsusaiga down towards Naraku, only for the demon to put his own blade in its path to stop it. From the force applied by his hanyou opponent, however, he could not keep up the opposing force much longer. “I've been training to get stronger, evil one, and I will destroy you today!” Naraku saw an opening and took advantage of it immediately, catching his white-haired hanyou foe off guard, impaling him quickly through his gut. Even through the pain, Inu-Yasha did not lose focus on what he had to do; this ingrained behavior had been acquired through many a battle where he lost large amounts of blood. He knew if one did not have a liberal attitude towards their own bodies, never would they win a combat to the death.
Everyone had stepped backwards, allowing for the two demonic powerhouses to lock each other in combat with no hesitation. Inu-Yasha felt a slight lax in pressure applied to his sword after Naraku struck a counterblow, and as such he used that moment to apply enough force to throw his foe's sword off of his own. He made sure not to waste a moment of time and as such, he swung his tetsusaiga as hard as he could horizontally, unfortunately not doing much damage to Naraku as he tilted his torso backwards to avoid the worst of the mighty blade's cutting power. As his white-haired enemy drew his sword to above his head to strike again, Naraku made use of the instant's lag time between strikes, and diagonally slashed at Inu-Yasha, making almost a powerful hit as the hanyou tried desperately to outmaneuver the blow. It was a mistake that he shouldn't have made, as it cost him a diagonal slash across his torso, not very deep but costing him blood nonetheless. He gained his composure and violently whipped his blade through the air and met Naraku's with yet another clang of impacting metal. Neither side seemed to be gaining much ground, but Inu-Yasha had visibly lost some speed with two cuts, one a full impalement, the other a slash he could not completely avoid. Naraku, having already thought out his opponent's most likely next moves, raised his sword above his head and delivered a strike that would force Inu-Yasha to break his attack pattern in order to avoid having his head sliced in two. With that accomplished, he instantly rotated his sword so that it was beneath tetsusaiga, and shoved it away with a quick push. With the hanyou's defense completely down for a brief moment, he swung his blade horizontally in order to slash Inu-Yasha in two.
KLANG.
The horrifying sound of metal meeting metal instead of slashing through flesh caught the better of Naraku's attention. Both he and the hanyou stared in disbelief for a few instants at the sword that had blocked what would surely have been a death blow. It was Tokijin, the blade of Sesshomaru having been reforged by the will of Kagome.
“Sesshomaru,” Naraku inquired, “why do you side with this miserable demon?”
The lord of the western lands only huffed in response. “This 'miserable demon,' as you call her, is far more powerful than myself, even,” he shot back. With one swift motion, he used his blade's momentary strength to launch Naraku's into the far corner of the room. The moment he whirled around to zoom after it, a hand reached out and, snatching him up, lifted him three feet off the ground. It was Kagome.
“Oh Naraku,” she said, with a false tone of endearment. She changed her nice smile into a sadistic grin and tossed him into the far wall with one swift throw. “You disappoint me.”
He psychically called his blade to come to him. “You are nothing to the great Naraku!”
She giggled slightly, and held her arms out to her side. “Kill me, rape me, by all means, but make sure you have the power to actually accomplish your goals before I kill you.”
Converting /tmp/phpppbyAs to /dev/stdout