InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Immortal: A Tribute to Rin ❯ My Immortal: A Tribute to Rin ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

My Immortal: A Tribute to Rin

By: RayJay

A one shot inspired by the beautiful song performed by `Evanescence' (I do not own them nor do I own Inuyasha)

~*~

I'm so tired of being here…

Sullen golden eyes probed over the immense property of the large garden that had once been the joy of one whom had been so dear to him. He took a deep breath of the crisp night air, his sharp canine nose detecting the scent of water as his eyes traveled to the sky, seeing how the clouds were beginning to look their fullest. It would rain soon. It hadn't rained in months… not since she had disappeared…

Suppressed by all of my childish fears…

The proud but now melancholy Taiyoukai strode purposefully through the expanse of the green terrain, searching for peace and comfort that he was desperately seeking, finding none. He was inevitably alone again like he had been since his childhood, after his mother had been slain before his very eyes and his father had taken the human wench. He took in a deep breath, closing his eyes as a chilling breeze passed through the garden, sending his long, pure white hair into the invisible wind in all directions behind him. He took this time to reflect as he listened the rugged and wild sounds of the leaves in the trees rustling against each other in the harsh breeze.

And if you have to leave, I wish you would just leave because your presence still lingers here…

`It looks as if it might storm, Sesshomaru-sama. Should Rin and Sesshomaru-sama return indoors?' Sesshomaru looked a small distance ahead to see an image of Rin when she was still a very young child, observing her as she picked a flower and raced it over to him. He felt something tighten in his chest when he gazed into her innocent, trusting dark eyes as the child blossomed into the beautiful young woman he had taken as his mate.

`I hope that these beautiful flowers are not destroyed by the coming storm,' Rin said with that goofy, optimistic smile she always had had. `They compliment your hair and eyes,' she added, holding out the flower for him to receive it. His mouth had gone unbelievable dry and his lips felt brittle as his tongue went to moisten them. He reached out slowly to accept the flower she held in her diminutive hand but the image his mind had produced slowly disappeared with the sound of her sweet laughter.

Sesshomaru felt pain flood through him like never before as he realized the treasure he had lost months ago. The only being that had ever loved him and showed him true loyalty… and the only being he had ever come to care for and love. Rin, he thought in anguish as he reached to his side, snarling viciously as he yanked a yellow Sango blossom from its stalk, grinding the undeserving bud with his poisonous claws to help sooth his ire and ease his pain.

These wounds won't seem to heal; the pain is just too real. There's just too much that time cannot erase…

Sesshomaru brought his hand that was now bleeding from the depths of his claws and opened it, gazing at the destroyed, blood covered blossom in his hand. His throat tightened and he swallowed, holding up his palm, letting the harsh wind that was tousling his hair wickedly blow the tattered, yellow, bloodstained Sango bud into the wind as he tried to calm the raging maelstrom in his chest.

The Taiyoukai looked behind him swiftly at the balcony to the room that used to be Rin's before they began to share quarters with a flame of hope in his chest. He prayed that this was all a bad dream and that she would be staring at him, thinking she was hidden with her dark eyes shining in love and wonder. The flame that had been lit was extinguished when he saw the darkness leaking from the room that had been the place where Sesshomaru had marked the young woman as his mate nearly three quarters of a century before.

She was in his mind… she was in his soul… she was everywhere but with him now…

When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears…

She had been plagued with nightmares from her death by the wolves before he had given her life once again with the Tenseiga. She would cry out as a child, even as a grown woman from the awful dream that threatened her subconscious and he would be there, holding her, protecting her the best that he could.

`Sesshomaru… It has been decades since that occurrence yet I am still haunted by these awful visions and memories…' she sobbed into his chest one night when she was nearly fifty years old. The taiyoukai had held her close, running his fingers through her graying dark hair as he tried to calm her worried heart, yet he could not sooth her entirely.

When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears…

Sesshomaru's vulnerable mind then wandered back to when she was an adolescent, before he had actually started to realize how much she really meant to him. He had tried to leave her off near a human village, assuming she would fit right in because he had thought, like a fool, that she did not need to be in such strange company for any longer. He remembered her broken cries of betrayal and loss as he walked away emotionlessly, determined to keep up his façade until she was out of his hearing range. She had stopped squandering for a few moments but then Sesshomaru sensed an aura of youkai heading in her direction. Her scream of terror followed soon after and he could not help himself when his urge to go and rescue her became the only option he felt to consider.

He slaughtered the youkai that had touched her. The filthy, weak vermin had tried to mate with her and in his haste to tear her clothes from her body left deep gashes on her lower waist that were dripping with blood. Rin, of course like the defiant, overly courageous adolescent that she was, tried to hide her injuries from her lord, insisting that they were minor but he scooped her into his strong embrace anyways and flew her back to the castle, completely at war with himself. He had accomplished nothing at this point. He had tried to leave her… realizing that he could not.

`Am I really that much of a burden to you, Sesshomaru-sama? If this is the case then I will work to earn my keep. I will-` He remembered silencing her with a wave of his strong, lean fingers to his lips, shaking his head briefly as he walked down the hall giving her no explanation. Rin knew him all too well though. Her dark eyes lit up and she followed him, thanking him many times over.

And I've held your hand throughout all of these years…

`Come with Rin, Sesshomaru-sama! Rin wants to show you something!' A young Rin grasped the Taiyoukai's large hand and attempted to drag him along, realizing that she would not be able to pull him. He did however, assist her in trying to pull him as he walked slowly as she scampered her small little strides, speeding up so she could lead the way for him.

Why did he remember all of these insignificant little memories? Why did they seem like they had all happened yesterday when in truth in had been almost a century?

`Sesshomaru…' Rin as a young woman whispered as they walked along together through the very same paths in the garden that he was now treading on at this moment. `I love you… I truly and deeply love you, ever since I was a child. You are my savior and my protector and I am very honored that I am your mate now,' she added, sliding her now slightly larger hand into his hand that still was in greater size than her own. Sesshomaru remembered stopping them from their casual stroll and with his free hand brushed a stray lock of her dark, sun-highlighted hair behind her ear before he kissed his mark on her soft throat. She gasped at the extremely sensual touch in a public surrounding where others could see but relaxed when his lips moved from their location on her throat to her lips as she became pliant underneath him.

`I can't leave you alone,' Rin whispered, her voice cackling and weak as a tear fell down her wrinkled cheek. She reached out with a shaky, aged hand and reached for the Taiyoukai's, relief washing over her olden features when he assisted her by taking her hand into his. `I will get better, you will see and then we will walk through the gardens and I will tease Jaken like I used to… and then you can kiss me like you did in the past… but… you have not for months… I probably repulse you…" she finished, her voice saddened as the smile that had lit her old lips faded.

I did not want to hurt you, Sesshomaru thought at the memory of Rin in the sick bed. In truth he had wanted to more than anything… but she had been so weak and he had been so lonely… he would have hurt her with his passion and aggression and he did not want that for her at all. The Taiyoukai looked up to the darkening sky as a rumble sounded in the deep of it, letting out the deep breath that he had not been aware he was holding. I love you, Rin… he added in his thoughts as he lifted off from the ground, hovering above the beautiful garden.

But you still have all of me…

You used to captivate me by your resonating light…

Sesshomaru closed his eyes as he neared the sky, the harsh wind feeling like a challenge as it pulled at his hair and his long robes and fluffy boa that he had inherited from his father. The smell of the fresh storm passing through his nose and in the midst of it he caught a hint of sakura blossoms. It teased at his memory, making him feel like he was insane because Rin's essence had been of rain and sakura blossoms… It had been her taste also…

He remembered the first time he had kissed her, how large and confused her deep, dark chocolate eyes had been afterwards. Then, he had taken her to her bed, watching as he tried to be gentle with her as they made love, hoping that he wasn't harming her as she tried to control her facial expressions. She cried out his name in ecstasy unbridled with love heavily apparent in her tones as she reached up to pull him down into a passionate, longing kiss. Then, he marked her neck deeply, tasting her blood as it ran into his mouth and trailed down his lips, splashing down onto her shoulder as they relaxed into the embrace of the other, her eyes closing in exhaustion.

But now I'm bound by the life you left behind…

Sesshomaru groaned as he felt the wisps of clouds brush by his face, his ears popping with the chaos of the changing winds in the skies. He had never flown this high before, especially before a coming storm and grit his teeth as the sound of thunder clapped in his ears but he did not care. His heart was aching and was in much more pain then his sensitive ears would be in later.

Your face, it haunts my once pleasant dreams… Your voice, it chased away all of the sanity in me…

Her cries of ecstasy, fear, and her laughter… Her tender, genuine, loving smile… He was going mad remembering all that was not with him or could ever be with him any more. She was truly gone… Rin, he thought in anger and in pain as he let out a frustrated roar that was drowned out by more thunder that rolled in the deep of the clouds. Lightening flashed in his eyes, as he shielded them, not minding in the least if he was going to be struck down by it. In fact, he was challenging the lighting to strike him.

These wounds won't seem to heal, the pain is just too real. There's just too much that time cannot erase…

Sesshomaru felt the rain fall down in thick sheets and spurts as he closed his eyes, allowing himself to be completely drenched in it. His hair was now a damp curtain around his body as he brushed it out of the way to push his face towards the sky for an answer, for comfort… For Rin…

Why did you have to leave? Why am I this lonely without your presence, Rin? The taiyoukai screamed brokenly in his mind, envying the cloud for they could cry when he could not.

I've tried so hard to tell myself that you're gone…

Why? Why did you go? Sesshomaru continued to ask in his mind, his thoughts only on his mate as the thunder and lightning performed a display around him, the wind brushing past his drenched form. He could steal feel the warmth of her small body pressed against his own as they would sometimes just sit together under the light of the moon in the garden, staring at the stars.

And though you're still with me…

She was human, you fool. You knew this time would come sooner or later, another more rational side of his mind conflicted as he started to come closer to the garden again, the rain still coming down in hard, fat droplets against his soaked clothing and hair. The happiness was not to last… You feared this time… You knew that she was going to die, another reason why you hate humanity…

Rin… Images of the human flashed through his mind from different points in her life, the demon's heart twisting and wrenching at them all. He grit his teeth and landed in the garden, releasing some of the green poison from his hand, melting the flowers that Rin had cared so much for. He couldn't stand to look at them any longer knowing that she would not be tending to them any longer. That was the only reason he had kept them there in the first place. He then stopped himself, closing his tortured hand into a fist as he looked up, his golden eyes raw as he watched the storm, like he used to from Rin's room when she was a child. It was inevitable… He would have ended up alone eventually…

I've been alone all along…

The taiyoukai closed his eyes and spread his arms out as more rain from the sky splashed onto him, only harder now. The sky is an expressive part of nature… He thought as he calmed his raging soul. He opened one eye slowly and then the other as he pictured Rin's lovely face in the dark, lightning filled sky and nodded, swallowing as he wiped his damp bangs out of his eyes. A tribute to Rin…

The End

(A/N: I was extremely inspired to do this because I bought the Evanescence CD (finally) and thought that I should write something of this nature. I've been practicing on my Sess/Rin capabilities. This is my second one. PLEASE REVIEW! What's the point of visiting if you're not going to review? Well, now to update my other neglected stories! WOOOOOOOOO!)