InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Mate ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Part 1

~*~*~

"You’re leaving, right? This time for good?" Inuyasha asked.

"Well, it doesn’t have to be for good. I mean the well will still work. I can come back any time to visit." Kagome smiled with more confidence than she felt.

"What’s the point? The Shikon no Tama is all put together, Naraku’s dead, Miroku’s curse is gone, Sango’s brother is back to normal and they’re going back to their village to rebuild, Shippou is going to stay with Kouga and his pack, and Kikyou is at rest. What the hell is the point in coming back?" Inuyasha glowered at her.

"They’re my friends. I want to see them again. I want to see you again, Inuyasha. What’s wrong with that?"

"Just the fact that you live in a completely different era than us. You shouldn’t have been here in the first place. If that damned demon hadn’t dragged you here two years ago, NONE of this would have happened . . . " Inuyasha sighed, and looked off into the distance.

"I’m glad that I was brought here. I’m glad that I made such wonderful friends—"

"I’m not!" Inuyasha whipped around and glared at her.

Kagome just stared at him. "I didn’t realize my presence was such a burden on you, Inuyasha."

"Dammit, Kagome, I love you! I can’t bare to lose another person that I love! And you’re talking about jumping back and forth through time and visiting like that’s good enough! It’s not good enough! Either stay here or go home and don’t come back! I can’t stand to have you so close, but so far away . . . " Inuyasha seemed to realize what he had just said, and fell silent.

Kagome couldn’t believe what she had just heard. Inuyasha, in love with her? He had always treated her like she was more of a pest than anything else. But he just said that he loved her. Kagome’s heart started to swell with happiness. She had loved him for so long and never thought that he would return her feelings. This was the moment of truth. Her moment to tell him how she felt, too.

"If that’s the way you feel, Inuyasha, I guess I’m going to have to stay here." Kagome smiled at him. "Because I love you, too."

Inuyasha just stared. "You do? Why?"

Before she could respond, Inuyasha rushed forward, crushing her in a tight embrace. "You really mean that? You’re not just saying that, are you?"

"Why would I say it if I didn’t mean it?"

Inuyasha grinned at her. "I love you, Kagome, and I’ll do everything in my power to make you happy." He leaned forward and kissed her. They spent the night in each other’s arms, taking joy in being together, and loving each other. As they laid together, exhausted from the night, Inuyasha whispered into Kagome’s ear, "You are my mate, forever. Ai Shiteru."
~*~*~

When Kagome woke up the next morning, Inuyasha was no where to be found. Sighing, she headed back to camp. Shippou bounced up and into her arms. "Good morning, Kagome! Where were you all night?"

Kagome blushed. "Out with Inuyasha. Has he come back to camp yet?"

Miroku and Sango noted the blush. But before Miroku could comment, Sango slapped a hand over his mouth and cleared her throat. "No, he hasn’t. Will he be coming to say good bye before you leave?"

Kagome smiled. "I’m staying here. I do have to go home to get some things, but I’m staying here with Inuyasha."

Sango could feel the hentai grin form on Miroku’s lips behind her hand. She yanked her hand away as if she were burned. Miroku looked at Sango, grinning broader.

"I take it you and he, er, confessed your feelings to each other?" Miroku raised an eyebrow.

Kagome understood his meaning and flushed a deep red. All she could do was nod. She cleared her throat. "I better go find Inuyasha."

"That won’t be necessary. I’m right here."

Kagome turned and smiled at him. But he didn’t return the smile. In fact, he just stared icily at her. Kagome frowned.

"Is something the matter, Inuyasha?"

"I just came to say goodbye. Goodbye, Kagome. Enjoy the rest of your life." With that said, Inuyasha turned and started to walk into the woods.

Kagome stared. What? Was Inuyasha telling her to leave? Why? He told her that he loved her and wanted her to stay with him. He took her as his mate. Kagome tore after him. "Inuyasha!"

But he didn’t stop. She grabbed his arm. "Inuyasha, what’s wrong? You said—"

"Last night was a mistake, Kagome. I don’t love you. Never have. I won’t say I’m sorry last night happened. I enjoyed your body very much, but that was all it was. Nothing more. Now go home. I wouldn’t come back, either. You might break the Shikon no Tama again, and I don’t feel like traipsing all over the country again to clean up your mess." Inuyasha continued to walk away.

Stunned, Kagome just stood there. He said it was all a mistake. He didn’t love her . . .

Tears burning her eyes, shaking with shame and humiliation, Kagome ran back to camp.

"Kagome, what—"

"Sorry guys, I was wrong. I’m not staying. I gotta go now. It was great knowing you all. Bye." With that, she picked up her backpack and ran to the well. She could hear Miroku call her name, but she didn’t look back. She leapt down the well.

"What happened? I thought she said she was staying." Shippou looked at Miroku. "What did that baka do now?"
"I don’t know, Shippou, but I’m going to find out." Miroku stood up. He went in the direction Inuyasha had walked. He soon found Inuyasha, sitting up in his tree, looking as if someone had died.
"Mind explaining why Kagome left, when she said she was planning on staying here?"

"None of your damn business, monk."

"Dammit, Inuyasha, she loved you. Anyone with eyes could see it! And you love her, too! What in the seven hells happened?! Tell me right now, or so help me, I’m gonna drag it out of you!"

Inuyasha remained silent for a long time. But then he replied, in no more than a whisper, "She deserves better than some half demon that has caused her nothing but headache after headache."

Miroku was stunned. "You don’t think you’re good enough for her?"

Inuyasha just sighed. He looked at Miroku. "I’m a Hanyou. I’m rejected by humans and demons alike. What kind of life could I offer her when I can’t even make a home for myself? I told her I’d make her happy, and that’s what I’ve done. When the pain goes away, she’ll realize that this is for the best . . . "

Miroku stood silent for a time. Inuyasha really thought he did the right thing. Stepping back, Miroku said, "I’m going back to camp. I’ll see you later."

He got no reply.

Three Months Later . . .

"Pregnant?!"

"Yes, Kagome, pregnant. And about three months along, too. Congratulations." The doctor smiled at her, but seeing the look on Kagome’s face, she frowned. "Kagome, are you all right? You did want to be pregnant right? If not, there are options—"

"No! Er, I mean, It was just a surprise. I want to keep the baby." Kagome forced a smile.

Kagome walked out of the doctor’s office, stunned. Pregnant. She was pregnant. How could this have happened? She had thought she had the flu. Being nauseous all the time. What would her mother think? What would Grandpa and Sota think? She was only 17 years old!

"Damn you, Inuyasha. This is your fault." Kagome growled under her breath.

~*~*~