InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Mate ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Part 2

~*~*~

At eight and a half months pregnant, Kagome was uncomfortable at best. She felt as big as a house, and the panic of knowing she was about to be responsible for a life was starting to kick in. Her mother, grandfather, and little brother had all been very supportive of her. But she still felt terribly alone.

She had decided after the first doctor’s visit that it would be best not to go back. What if the baby had dog ears like Inuyasha? How would she explain that? She didn’t want to be in the Tabloids as the girl who had the half dog, half human child. She could hear the questions now. ‘What kind of dog was it?’ ‘Were you always attracted to dogs, instead of boys?’ ‘Is the father your family pet?’ Ugh. No, definitely not. She was not going to risk the doctor seeing little dog ears attached to her unborn child.

Sighing, Kagome flipped through the little name book. She felt guilty she hadn’t picked a name yet, but with all the things on her mind she couldn’t concentrate on picking a name. But being as far along as she was, she supposed it was time to really get picking. She flipped to the "C’s" and scanned for any potential names, when she landed on the oddest name she had come across so far. ‘Chowder? Who in their right mind would name their child Chowder?’

"Kagome, look what I found in the attic. It’s your old backpack." Kagome’s mother came into the room holding the big yellow bag that had been Kagome’s traveling bag in Feudal Japan.

Kagome took the old bag from her mother. "I thought I threw this thing out. Why was it in the attic?" Opening it up, Kagome saw that there was still clothing and bath things still in it.

"There was still some stuff in it from your last trip and I thought that you might want to go through it. I’d hate for you to throw out something that you really want."

Kagome pulled out a dress that was on top. "I didn’t wear maternity dresses nine months ago, mom. Care to explain why you packed this full of stuff?"

Kagome’s mother sighed and sat down next to her. " Honey, I think it’s time that you go back. Inuyasha has a right to know he’s about to become a father. I know that he hurt you, but he deserves to know. And I think you already know this, but this child isn’t meant to live here. Not in this time. It won’t be understood, and will have a hard life. At least in the other time, the baby will have Inuyasha to teach him how to live."

"Mom, you’re forgetting that Inuyasha doesn’t want me. What makes you think he’ll want our baby?" Kagome scowled at her mother.

"I’m not saying you can’t come back. Just that you need to tell him. And consider the possibility of living there. This baby deserves better than living here and being a spectacle for people to gawk at." Her mother sighed. "I know you’ve had to think about this, Kagome. Don’t you want this child to grow up happy? And with a father?"

Kagome closed her eyes. Her mother was right, of course. She had been thinking along the same lines. And she did miss all the others, too. Miroku’s lecherous smiles, Shippou sleeping on her pillow at night, Sango and their girl talks. Even Inuyasha and his "I’m tough" attitude.

"Okay. I’ll go back for a visit. But only a visit. I don’t want Inuyasha to think I’m trying to force him to take us. And I will consider moving there." Kagome looked into her bag. "But don’t you think I should wait until after I have the baby? I mean, I’m due in a couple of weeks."

"Nonsense. Now is the perfect time. That way Inuyasha can be a part of the birth if he wants. It’s a very emotional time and trust me, he won’t want to miss it." Her mother smiled. "Besides, I don’t want to risk you changing your mind."

A few minutes later, Kagome was standing outside the well. She looked down. "Funny. I don’t remember it being this deep."

"Don’t be such a wuss. It’s always been this deep." said Sota, as he, too, looked down the well. He looked up at her and grinned. "Say hi to Inuyasha for me, okay?"

"Yeah, I will. Don’t worry." She smiled at him and ruffled his hair. She wrapped the thick woolen cloak around her as she leapt down the well. It was winter now, and it would be very cold in the past.

She felt the familiar tingle as she passed through the time barrier and her feet touched lightly to the ground. I’m back, she thought. Her stomach lurched at the thought.

She looked up to the top of the well, and saw that there were dark snow clouds moving above. Sighing, Kagome went to the task of climbing to the top. It was difficult, because of her large stomach. After huffing and puffing her way to the top, Kagome looked around. There was a light layer of snows covering the ground, but the wind whipped the snow all around. Pulling the cloak tight around her body, she headed for the village.

By the time she had traveled the short distance to the small village, it was already dark. Kagome moved past the dark structures until she found Keade’s hut. She moved to the door and knocked, hoping that Keade was not out on a house call.

Moments later, the door opened and Keade stepped up to the door. When Kagome lifted her face, Keade’s eye widened. "Kagome, is that you?"

"Hi, Keade. May I come in?"

"Of course, child. Please, come in. I’m sorry for my lack of manners." Keade shut the door after Kagome stepped all the way in. "It was just surprising to see you after all these months. Tell me, what brings you back after all these months?" Kagome slipped the heavy cloak from her shoulders and turned to face Keade. "Oh. I see."

Kagome sighed. "The baby is Inuyasha’s, but I don’t want to see him just yet. I want to see Miroku, Sango, and Shippou first. Also, I was wondering if you would mind if I stayed with you for a while. I think I want to move here, but I have no where to stay."

Keade smiled. "Congratulations on the little one. And of course you can stay here. I’ll have the townsmen start on a hut as soon as the weather is nice."

"Thanks Keade. I really appreciate it. Do you know where Sango, Miroku and Shippou are? I want to leave to see them tomorrow."

"In your condition?" Keade’s eye widened. "But you look like you will have the child any day!"

"No, I have a couple of weeks yet. Besides, the exercise will do me good."

"If you’re sure. . . Shippou is staying with Kouga in the mountains still, although the little fox visits every once and a while. Miroku is with Sango and Kohaku in their village. I think he’s helping them build a shrine there for the dead."

"Why are they building a shrine for the dead? I thought that they were going to rebuild the town."

"They were, but no one wants to live where a massacre took place. They have decided to move to this village after the shrine is finished."

"Oh, I see. Well, I guess I’ll head for Sango’s village first, then. I should get there in three or four days, depending on the whether." Kagome smiled at the thought of seeing her old friends. It had been a long time. She had missed them terribly.

"Well, rest tonight. I’ll pack some things you’ll need for the trip. As well as things for the baby. Did you bring anything for the child? Clothes, blankets, diapers?" Keade looked at Kagome. Seeing the blank stare, she sighed. "You were planning to be back in your time for the birthing?"

"Yes, but I guess I won’t be, will I?"

"Not if you visit the others, no. Don’t worry Kagome, I’ll make sure you have the things you need for the child."

"Thanks Keade."

Keade smiled. "Get some rest, now. You have a long trip in front of you."

~*~*~