InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Mate ❯ Chapter 3

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Part 3

~*~*~

It had been four days since Kagome had left the village behind. The weather had been fair, but with the snow, traveling had been slow. She estimated that she had at least another three days before she reached the Sango’s village. And on top of that, a snow storm was starting.

Kagome looked sideways at the shadow that was up in the tree to her left. It had been there since leaving the village. At first, it had scared her. Was it a demon? Had it come for the Shikon no Tama? No. Kagome now knew what it was. Inuyasha. He had followed her out. And was also making sure that she was safe. She had sensed other demons coming close, but hadn’t seen one. Which meant that Inuyasha had taken care of them.

But he hadn’t approached. He just kept to his shadows. Which was just fine with Kagome. She was just not ready to see him yet. But the pain of knowing that he didn’t want to even share her fire light and stay warm was just too much. Why? Why didn’t he want to be near her? That’s when the most terrifying thought hit her. Could he smell that she was pregnant? Did he know, and think that someone else was the father? Oh God.

Kagome, with a lump in her throat and feeling stress cramps, looked straight ahead and continued to walk. She cleared her mind of all thoughts and concentrated on the landscape. It was just beautiful. The hills and mountains covered in snow. Kagome stopped. Her eyes widened. STRESS CRAMPS?!

She couldn’t be going into labor now! She was still supposed to have a full week! She quickly scanned for a shelter, any form of shelter. Kagome knew without a doubt that if she had the baby here, in the snow, that she wouldn’t be able to move to a safer and warmer place. They would die. Kagome picked up her pace, searching wildly for any kind of shelter.

She had been an idiot. She had been feeling these stress cramps since she had left the village and never once considered that she might be in labor.

That’s when the first wave of strong contractions hit her. Kagome fell to her knees, clutching her stomach. As soon as the pain subsided, another wave struck. She was going to have the baby any minute. She already felt the urge to push.

Suddenly, strong arms pulled her off the ground and pressed her firmly against a warm chest. A blanket was pulled over her head and then they were off. She could hear the wind and snow howling past as they quickly passed through the land. Her savior didn’t speak. He didn’t have to. It was Inuyasha. He had saved her and their child.

Soon they stopped. Inuyasha pulled the blanket off of Kagome’s head and laid it on the ground. They were in a cave. He gently set Kagome down on the blanket, then hurried around the cave setting a fire, gathering snow in a pot and setting it to melt and boil. When he was done he came over and looked Kagome in the face.

"How long?"

"Soon. The baby’s coming now. . ." Kagome held her breath as another wave of pain passed. "How did you know?"

"I could smell that you were with child. Kagome, is it. . ."
Inuyasha couldn’t finish. He really didn’t want to know. He’d find out as soon as the baby came. He had known when Kagome had arrived. After the shock had worn off, he noticed the change in her scent. He knew she was carrying a child. It had been driving him insane these last few days. Was it his child? If not, was it that weakling human’s, Hojo? If that was the case, why did she come back? But he couldn’t ask her. He was afraid of the reaction she would have toward him. He couldn’t stand for her to reject him, even if it was what he deserved.

Kagome groaned, bringing Inuyasha back to reality. He was going to have to deliver this child. His or not. He bent low and set Kagome in the proper position, then looked to see how far she was. His eyes went wide. "The baby’s head is out! Kagome, push!"

He didn’t need to tell her twice. Kagome pushed with all her might, a scream torn from her throat. But she felt the baby pass through. It was over. She fell back onto the blanket, gasping for air.

Inuyasha caught the baby as it slid out. Then a slow smile came across his face. It was a boy. His son. The little baby had black hair like his mother, but little puppy ears like his father. The little one didn’t cry, he just blinked up at Inuyasha, with big violet eyes. He yawned and Inuyasha saw two little points in the baby’s mouth. Little fangs. And his fingers had little claws. He was absolutely beautiful.

"Inuyasha, I don’t feel well. I still feel like I have to push."

Inuyasha frowned. "It’s the afterbirth. Let me set the baby down." Inuyasha turned and wrapped the baby in a towel from Kagome’s bag, then set the infant down on the blanket next to him. He turned and looked down, ready for the afterbirth, when he saw it. Shock overwhelmed him. There was another head partially out. "Kagome! It’s another baby! Push!"

Again, Kagome bared down with all her might, and again the baby slid out. Inuyasha held the child close to him. "Are there any more in there?"

"How the hell should I know?! You’re the damned father! You did this! How many more did you put in there?!"

Inuyasha blinked. Of course that was a stupid question. Shifting slightly he put his hand on Kagome’s stomach and pushed slightly. No, he didn’t feel any more. He looked at the little bundle in his arms. This one was a girl. She had silver hair and golden eyes like his, but had human ears like her mother. She was like her brother in the way that she didn’t cry. He put his finger in her mouth and felt the two little points that were her fangs. But her fingers were normal, human fingers with no claws. She was beautiful.

"You have a son and a daughter, Kagome. Now rest. I’ll clean them up. You sleep."
"I want to hold them. Please, Inuyasha. I don’t care if they’re still messy." Kagome reached for her children. Inuyasha smiled and handed the little girl to her, then he picked up the little boy and moved next to Kagome.

Kagome was crying. Her baby had turned into two precious children that were as perfect as she had hoped. This hadn’t been the way she had pictured bringing them into the world, but this had been just fine. Inuyasha had been here to help her through it. And that was all she really wanted, even if she wouldn’t admit it.

Inuyasha sat there with Kagome, until she fell asleep. When she did, he moved the pups away from her and closer to the fire, where the snow was now melted and pleasantly warm. He unwrapped the boy and began to wash him. When he was done, he picked another towel out of Kagome’s bag and wrapped him in it. He repeated the process with the girl. Inuyasha moved to Kagome and proceeded to clean her up as well. After they were all clean, he began to clean himself. He took off his outer kimono and rinsed the blood off of it.

When he was done, he picked up the babies. They needed names. Kagome was bound to get mad that he was naming them, but here, in his time, the father picked the names of his children. And that was what he was going to do. If she didn’t like it, tough.
He looked first at the little boy. Despite the trauma of being born, he seemed perfectly content. "Kiyoshi." That was a good, strong name. And it was a name that seemed to already fit the boy. He looked like a Kiyoshi. He smiled it was a good choice.

It was the girl’s turn. She was so precious. His little one. He never thought he could love another as much as he loved Kagome, but this child, and Kiyoshi had managed to steal his heart in only an hour. "Aiko." He smiled. Another good name. Kiyoshi and Aiko. They were perfect names. Now, he just hoped Kagome thought so, too.

He regretted sending Kagome away. He thought that he was doing the right thing. Had he known that she was pregnant, he never would have done so. Looking at the two pups, and then Kagome, Inuyasha swore a silent oath. He would be a better father than he had been a mate. And he was going to be the best mate to Kagome he could be. That was, IF she would have him back. But he would be the best father he could, no matter what.

Inuyasha sighed. He set the pups down next to Kagome and moved to the opening of the cave. They were going to be there a while. Kagome needed to get her strength back and they didn’t have food. He looked back to his family and sighed. He felt like he was abandoning them, but he was just going to go hunting. "I’ll be back soon. I promise." And with that, he leapt out into the storm.

~*~*~