InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Mate ❯ Chapter 4

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Part 4

~*~*~

A loud, piercing scream woke Kagome from her deep slumber. She jerked sharply, looking wildly around for the cause of the horrible, bone-grating noise. Her gaze settled on the little bundles next to her. Both were awake, but only the little black haired boy was shrieking. Her daughter, on the other hand looked as startled as she was. How could something so small make such a horrible sound?

Kagome leaned over and picked up her son. She bared her breast and held him close so he could eat. When he finally found what he was looking for, he nipped her. Kagome winced. Ouch. That hurt. Babies weren’t supposed to have teeth.

"Now, what to name you. I hate to break the bad news to you two, but mommy was not as diligent as she should have been in picking names for you. Got any ideas for me?" Kagome looked down at her suckling son and then at her daughter, who appeared to be falling asleep again. "Not gonna help me, huh?"

"Their names are Kiyoshi and Aiko."

Kagome looked up. Inuyasha had just walked in, snow covered. He was carrying 3 rabbits. "Excuse me? You named them?"

"Yes." Inuyasha sat down next to the little fire and began to clean the rabbits.

"You didn’t ask me my opinion."

"I didn’t need to. It was my right to name them."

"Sit." Inuyasha did a face plant.

"What the hell was that for?!" Inuyasha picked himself up off the ground and glared at Kagome. "I have EVERY RIGHT to name my children. You just said that you didn’t have any names picked out. What’s the problem?"

"The problem, Inuyasha, is the fact that I’m their mother. They are my children, and, contrary to popular belief, you are NOT their father. A father is there THROUGHOUT the pregnancy, and doesn’t send the mother of his children away like a piece of garbage. Sorry to disappoint you." Kagome looked over at Inuyasha. He had an extremely pained look on his face. Good. He should feel guilty. But he was right. She didn’t have names for them, and despite the fact that he should have at least ASKED her what her opinion was, he had saved her the time it would take find the names. "However, the names aren’t detestable, so I guess it’s all right that you named them."

"I’m honored." Inuyasha glared at her before turning away. He resumed cleaning the rabbits. "What I want to know is why you didn’t come back sooner, like when you found out, maybe?"

"Yeah, right. And risk you coming after me with those claws of yours, thinking that someone from my time fathered them? I don’t think so."

Inuyasha winced. Was her opinion of him that low? "I wouldn’t do that. . ." he muttered under his breath.

The time in the cave past swiftly for the next few days and Inuyasha and Kagome started a routine. Inuyasha would tend to Aiko when Kiyoshi would scream bloody murder when he was hungry while Kagome would feed him. After Kiyoshi was done eating, they would swap babies. Inuyasha would not let Kagome get up to do anything. She had gotten sick from being out in the cold weather and was still weak from childbirth. And the storm outside had only intensified in the days they had spent in the cave, so Inuyasha couldn’t hunt.

Worried that Kagome might get worse, and they would run out of food, Inuyasha had decided to move his new family to the closest place that he knew would be safe, warm, and had access to food. Kouga’s den. Not the place Inuyasha would have picked under normal circumstances, but it was the closest safe haven, and Inuyasha was willing to swallow his pride to make sure Kagome and the pups were safe.

So he strapped Aiko to his chest with strips of cloth and put his red kimono over the top. Then he strapped Kiyoshi to Kagome’s chest and wrapped a blanket over the two of them. Inuyasha loaded Kagome onto his back, and then threw the heavy cloak over all of them. Making sure he had everything from the cave, he walked out into the storm, carrying his family.

The weather was terrible, and Inuyasha quickly lost his sense of sight and smell. He stayed on a straight path, but there was no telling if he was headed in the right direction. He could only hope that he found the den soon.

A short time later, Inuyasha felt a slight tug at his sleeve and looked down. He could just make out a slight form pulling at him to follow. Inuyasha sighed with relief. He allowed himself to be pulled to the right. The unknown guide led him to a cave about fifty yards over. As they entered the familiar smell of kitsune and wolf met his nose.

"What the hell were you doing out there, Shippou? And why would you let this stupid little fox out there, Kouga? Are you trying to kill him? I assure you, pounding him into the ground would be more fun."

"Nice to see you, too, Inuyasha. And your welcome for pulling you to safety." Shippou scowled up at Inuyasha. "And if you must know, I was out there for training. I have to get a better sense of direction."

"In the middle of a blizzard?"

"It’s the best practice." Kouga grinned at Inuyasha, his usual air of arrogance showing on his face. "You couldn’t find this cave by yourself, Inuyasha? Your nose stop working?"

Inuyasha pulled himself straight. But before he could reply, a loud shriek filled the air. Shippou yelped and slapped his hands over his ears while Inuyasha and Kouga cringed. "What on earth was that?" Kouga asked, putting a finger in his ear and shaking it vigorously.

Inuyasha went to his knees to let Kagome slide off his back. He helped her with the bindings holding Kiyoshi to her chest, then set to work on the bindings holding Aiko to him. Inuyasha slipped his daughter out from under his kimono and began to pace with her as Kagome set to work feeding their son.

Inuyasha glanced over at Shippou and Kouga and nearly laughed out loud. Both were staring at Kagome and the babies, their jaws hanging open. "Kagome!" The little kitsune launched himself towards Kagome, but Inuyasha caught him by the tail.

"Not so fast. She’s feeding Kiyoshi, or didn’t you notice the baby she’s holding?" Inuyasha pulled Shippou eye level. "You leave her alone. She’s sick." Then he dropped Shippou on his head.

"Kagome. I’m so glad to see you." Kouga smiled at her over Inuyasha’s shoulder. "I take it that this mutt is the father? My condolences. But they must take after you. They’re beautiful." He lowered his face towards the little girl, a hint of a smile playing on his lips.

"How have you been Kouga?" Kagome smiled, seeing how the wolf seemed to like her children, even knowing Inuyasha was the father.

"Just fine. I’ve missed you, though. You staying now, or are you going to leave again?"

"Kagome’s smile faded a little. "I haven’t decided yet."

Kouga glanced up at Kagome, then at Inuyasha. There was definitely tension between the two. "Why don’t you guys stay with us until the storm clears? Come on, if we follow this cave, it’ll lead to the back of my den. You can rest there until the weather clears." Kouga straightened. He looked Inuyasha in the eyes, seeing if he was going to protest. Inuyasha scowled, but said nothing.

Kagome smiled. "Lead the way."

"Uh, shouldn’t you finish feeding him first?" Inuyasha looked at Kagome.

"Nonsense. I can walk and feed Kiyoshi at the same time. Besides it’s cold here, and I want to go someplace warm."

They began walking deeper into the cave, when Kagome stumbled. Inuyasha, who was watching her every move, quickly handed Aiko to Kouga and caught Kagome before she fell. "That’s it. No. You finish feeding him here, then Aiko. We’ll leave as soon as they’re done eating."

"It’s okay Kagome, you feed them, then we’ll go." Kouga said, covering his surprise at Inuyasha’s trust in him. He wouldn’t have believed that Inuyasha was capable of trusting him with one of his children. The gesture, however unexpected or unintentional, made him smile.

After Kagome finished feeding the babies, Inuyasha handed Kiyoshi to Shippou, Aiko to Kouga, and carried Kagome on his back. They trekked their way through the cave and eventually made it to Kouga’s den. Inuyasha set Kagome down and sniffed the air.

"You can sleep over there Kagome." Kouga pointed to his sleeping area over in the corner.

"Thanks Kouga. We really appreciate this." Kagome smiled and walked over to the corner. She laid out the blanket over the straw, then she laid her babies out on top of the blanket. Kagome settled down next to them and almost immediately fell asleep.

~*~*~