InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Priest Charming ❯ He's Always Right Beside Me ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I love Inuyasha with all my heart. But he is like a bird, and he'll always fly away…..::cringe::

A/N: Awwww so many cool reviews. You guys are awesome! I'm glad I chose to write a Miroku/Sango story….not only because they're totally awesome, but because there really AREN'T that many good fics for the pairing out there. Well….sorry, this chapter is not as humorous as the rest of the story so far. But, it was necessary, so if you want to get some laughs, chapter 5 should have more of that.

This one's kind of short. I wrote it in a hurry because I'm on vacation, and this might be my last chance to post anything for the next month. So enjoy!

You know the drill- read and review please!!

"My Priest Charming"

CHAPTER 4: He's Always Right Beside Me

The first person to reach the village chief was Mirokur. Seeing Kohaku flailing so limply had jarred his body into motion. By the short, grim nod that the older exterminator had sent him, he automatically knew that Kohaku was still alive. But, by the looks of it, only barely.

Letting the man rush his son into the waiting arms of the patient wives at the fate, Miroku began looking around wildly, wondering fearfully if Sango had suffered the same kinds of injuries as her brother.

For a few grueling moments, there was a bated silence, as a crowd of men moved up on the peek of the hidden pathway that lead to the village. Coupled with the envoy that had been sent out to retrieve them, marched the taiji-ya of the village. As a whole they looked drawn and withered. As the women began to pick out the standing as their husbands or sons, Kagome, standing nearby, was warmed by the relieved cries that escaped from between pursed lips.

It seemed as if Kohaku was not the only one in bad shape. The demon they had been sent to exterminate was a part of a much larger family of demons. After the extermination job had been successfully completed, more demons had returned in a full-on assault against the taiji-ya. In the end, the ranks had managed to protect the small farms from further attack, but the fight had been long and excruciating. Though many had come close to death, there had not yet been any casualties.

The wounds were grievous. The procession of men moved in painful strides. Upon stretchers and backs the wounded men were hauled, and it had made traveling the hilly terrain difficult.

Out of the clouds of dust, Miroku faintly made out the shadows of the figure of a lone woman, limping besides the ranks of men. As both he and Kagome saw her, they rushed to her side. Miroku let out a long-contained sigh of relief to be in her presence again. Only lately had the realization dawned on him that there was probability that Sango would not return. And, somewhere deep inside of him, a nerve that hadn't been touched since the death of his father was struck.

Her friends were alarmed by Sango's wounds. Though she had the scant to move on her own, she still looked pained and downtrodden. Her lower leg and knee was bound thickly with heavy cotton, and whatever had happened to it was causing her to move with labored steps. A thick cut splintered across her brow, leaving clusters of crusted blood on her temple and the corner of her eye. Her left arm was caught up in a makeshift cloth sling.

Kagome laid a light hand on her friend's shoulder, her voice choked up in worry. "Sango-chan! Are you OK?"

Sango smiled grimly at them both, but a hint of panic flickered in her eyes. "Where did my father take Kohaku?"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Kagome had left the room at the left wing of the chief's house, giving the excuse that she had to grab new cotton cloths and fresh water. Of course, any fool would know that getting water and cloths would not take longer than a few minutes. So what if she had taken a half an hour already? After the bustle of worried housewives and an anxious father that had surrounded him all day, Kohaku's room needed peace and quiet.

Since Sango had had her wounds treated properly, she had sat herself beside her brother's bed and hadn't moved once. Miroku had taken the same route, planting himself right beside the wounded woman. Six hours and neither had even hinted at the desire to stand or even eat.

Sango, unable to sit on her injured leg, sat awkwardly, skewing her legs to the side and leaning her splinted arm on her thigh. In her hand, she kept a tight grasp on Kohaku's clammy fingers, a perpetually watery gaze focused on her brother's unnaturally pale face. He was plagued by a high fever, tossing lightly and mumbling strange words in his sleep.

Beside her, Miroku sat, a stoic look darkening his normally carefree demeanor, watching the boy with the same solemnity as Sango.

Outside the room, graced in the fading light of dusk, Kagome hummed a simple tune to herself. Taking a lingering glance at Sango and Miroku, she finally turned to poke at the hot coals of the dinner fire, rustling up the flames in preparation for cooking. This is where Inuyasha found her.

He flapped into the room in his red haori, and Kagome's head shot up in surprise. She sent him a tired smile, her voice hushed. "Look what the cat dragged in." She teased. "What brings you here?"

Inuyasha quirked an eyebrow at her, gracefully flopping to a seated position against the wall beside her. "How's the brat doing?" he said it gently.

Kagome feigned surprise at his question, then smiled at him again. "Kohaku-kun is…recovering. He'll survive the wounds, but it may take some time."

Inuyasha nodded slowly at the appraisal of Kohaku's condition. He craned his neck a little to see into the room behind Kagome. Catching a glimpse of Miroku and Sango, he snorted. "What's the monk doing in there?"

Kagome's smile spread more deviously. "He hasn't even touched her all day, or said one disrespectful word. I'm proud of him."

Inuyasha rolled his eyes. "Don't expect it to last for too long!"

Kagome tsked lightly. "I think you'll see that there's more to Miroku than meets the eye…like he's got something in there other than perversion."

Inuyasha grunted. "Whatever…That still doesn't answer my question. Why the hell is he hanging around?"

Kagome looked at him sidelong, incredulity twisting her features. "You haven't seen it? Miroku…..he….cares for Sango,"

"Yeah! He cares about her ass!"

"Inuyasha! Don't be so vulgar! I think Sango may be special to him…As well as him being somewhat special to her." She sighed happily at the thought.

Inuyasha looked at her as if she had just grown another head. He snorted again. "I don't see it…"

Kagome looked at him dryly. "I guess I shouldn't have expected you to."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It had been a very long day. Sango's muscles were tired, her wounds were twinging in pain, and her eyes were blurry and strained from lack of sleep. After spending the entire day at Kohaku's bedside, she had made her way out into the empty training field where she and her brother had trained together.

Settling herself in the thick, clean grass, she stared wanly out into the sea of stars above her. "May I join you?" Miroku's golden staff was buried in the soft dirt next to her leg. Sango didn't respond, but didn't object as Miroku sat down cross-legged. It was silent for a while, both of them peering out into the endless dark expanse of the sky, beleaguered with their own thoughts.

"Kagome said Kohaku will recover just fine with the right amount of rest." Sango nodded silently, sadness apparent on her face.

"…What's troubling you, Sango?"

Sango sighed deeply, her voice choking and hesitant. "It's my fault that Kohaku is in the condition he is now. I should have…never allowed him to come along with us. He just wasn't ready!"

Miroku watched her face contort, as a small tear rolled of her cheek. His lips twisted in sympathy. "Sango…" he began, a sad smile playing around his lips. "No matter what happened out there, it is not your fault. Kohaku was of the correct age to fight, he was well-trained, and most importantly, he knew exactly what he was getting into. Almost every fighter out there was wounded- including you." He nodded to her bandaged body. "He's going to be just fine- don't worry."

She looked at him, her eyes widening.

He grinned kindly. "So….smile."

Even in the haze of sadness and exhaustion, Sango felt a blush rising in her, and was grateful that Miroku had been there. "Thank you, Houshi-sama…."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A week later, and Kohaku was still in bed. But, now, he was conscious. He was talking, and eating, and laughing feebly. Sango still stayed at his side by day, but was able to leave him alone in the nights. His fever was quickly dying, leaving dark pockets underneath the boy's eyes and strain in his face.

His bodily wounds were still painful to him, though. Cuts and bruises ran up his arms, and a welt from the demons' poison had bubbled on his lower abdomen. His right wrist was broken and his leg muscles twisted. But, he was smiling. And that was better than anything Sango could have hoped for.

Exactly seven days after the taiji-ya had returned home, the bell was rung at the front gate. But it was different this time. The bell wasn't a cry of warning or a cry of fear, as had been expected last week. This time, it was more of a greeting. Someone had come to visit- most likely a new customer.

Sango was with Kohaku, smiling under his teasing jokes, and gently spoon-feeding him a thick soup. She heard the ring of the bell, faintly, but didn't even bother to raise her head. If it was something urgent, she would be notified. They knew exactly where to find her, and she wouldn't leave her brother's side for any distraction.

About ten minutes later, Sango heard loud voices in the foyer. A middle-age man, it sounded like, and a young girl with a sweet voice. She didn't make anything of it until she heard Miroku's voice interspersed in the conversation. By the sounds of it, he was back to his old self, wheedling to the young woman about her beauty, and how necessary it was for her to grace the village with their presence just a bit longer.

Sango sighed to herself, and Kohaku giggled as a faint slap was heard from the adjacent room.

The sigh still heavy in her voice, Sango leaned back to see the faces of the visitors. "Houshi-sama!" she called. "Who is it?"

"Sango! It seems as if the taiji-ya have a brand new assignment." Somehow, she didn't like the sound of his voice, and the perverted smile she could hear almost as well as she could see it. "You wouldn't happen to mind if I came along, would you?"

~*- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - *~

A/N: OK, so that definitely wasn't the longest chapter I've ever written, or the most detailed. But it performed it's duty! Awww some nice Miroku/Sango stuff. As hinted by their "new assignment" there promises to be more fun in the next chapter. Crazy houshi hijinks and taiji-ya trouble. So, stick around! And read and review, please!