InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Priest Charming ❯ A Pervert's Paradise ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DICSCLAIMER: I do not own Inuyasha!

A/N: Yay! Everybody really seems to love this story, and it makes me proud. I was really, at first considering only keeping this at 6 chapters, since I'm writing 3 other stories at the moment, but I guess the end of this chapter changed that. I still don't know if it will be extremely long, but it will be over 6 chapters…Sorry for the long wait! I hope you enjoy this…

"My Priest Charming"

CHAPTER 5: A Pervert's Paradise

Sango had discovered quickly that trying to travel on foot with an injured leg was not the way to go. Lots of labored limping, and excuses for Miroku to suggest that he carry her on his back. She was monumentally grateful to herself for having remembered to bring Kirara with her. The large demon cat was very useful, and much less embarrassing to ride than a certain guileful monk.

They had been traveling along the countryside for the better half of the day, the fields and rice paddies passing by slowly, melding into familiar landscape. The group was small, but would have provided a formidable enemy, had any bandits happened upon them. Sango rode atop the large cat, while Miroku paced easily beside her. The man and woman who had asked for the assistance of the exterminators walked in front, leading the way down the forking roads.

Sango's ears, as always, were sharp in picking up the noises around her. They were relaxing sounds. The soft jangle of Miroku's staff as it hit the hard ground at every step. The predictable plod of Kirara's feet. The wind through the trees, the chatter of small children along the wayside, and even the steady buzz of crickets, appearing in the approaching dusk. She breathed in, contented. It had been a while since she had been outside the village gates.

Of course, she hadn't planned her trip to be quite like this. The fact that Miroku had tagged along, instead of another taiji-ya, had irked her. She had suggested to her father that one of the young soldiers come along, but, of course they had all been wounded. She had begged for Kagome to come- but she had been needed to tend to the injured men, and she had seemed none to worried that Sango and Miroku would do just fine as a team. Sango had even called on Inuyasha to accompany them, but the half demon was not one to dole out favors so easily. He had sneered that he would rather shove nails in his eyes then spend that much time with Miroku.

Miroku had never ceased to make her nervous, in a way that confused her tremendously. Adrenaline, jumbling nerves, anger, embarrassment- she couldn't hide these things whenever he was around. What was the use of being a trained soldier, anyway, if you couldn't learn to keep up your guard around someone as silly as a lecherous monk? She would never understand.

But she had noted, a week before, that his mind must have not been all full of fun and games. The way he had patiently sat by her side as she tended to Kohaku. And he had even comforted her…acted uncharacteristically sweet. Of course, that could have always been another way to make a pass on her. Perhaps that was where all of her confusion sprang from. Really- what was Miroku? Was the sweetness she had seen a sign that they were growing closer?

She glanced over at him stealthily, chewing on her lip. It wasn't something she could come right out and ask him. Maybe she would never find out.

He was asking her something, so she waylaid her thoughts quickly. "What?"

He raised his eyebrows lightly. "You're feeling alright?"

"I'm just fine." She heard her voice roll out coldly. Damn him and his kindness. Now she'd never know.

"We can rest for tonight if you'd like-"

"That's quite alright."

They both fell into silence, the pattern of their steps seemed to ring out loudly.

Then Miroku spoke. "So….refresh me. What exactly is the plan of action?"

Sango sighed. He had basically trapped her in a corner, made it impossible for her not to talk to him. How could any one person be so crafty? "We don't really have a plan yet. We have to know the exact details of what we're dealing with first."

And here was the tricky part. The part where Miroku really had stressed that he should come along for the ride. The two villagers that had shown up at their door, had had quite a problem with the mountain demon beside their home. Now, you would suppose, in any other case, this demon would be a ravishing beauty that attracted men to her side. Sango only wished it were true. Then, perhaps Miroku would go alone, be trapped by an evil yet beautiful demon, and he would get what he deserved, the pervert….

But the demon itself wasn't a problem. It was the demon's prey that was really starting to bug her. The noble's daughter- the most beautiful woman in the village. She had been taken hostage by the mountain demon. Miroku had seemed to think he was the perfect man for the job.

Now, Sango was feeling like she was nothing more than his keeper.

XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX

Sango was curled up next to the fire, polishing her hiraikotsu with care. Miroku sat near her, cross-legged, his eyes dancing in the light of the flickering flames. They had arrived at the village well after sunset, and the village's chief had immediately called his wife to cook them a meal.

"You've been very quiet today," Miroku spoke, his eyes not turning in her direction.

Of course she had been quiet today…how could she speak to him, when she didn't know how to form the syllables- what tone to use- unforgiving? Accepting? Caring? Their relationship was growing into something beyond her comprehension, and Sango was left without knowledge of how to act.

"I've just been thinking about things…"

"Worried about Kohaku?"

Sango made a small sigh, then nodded. It was partly true. Her mind had been wracked with worry and guilt over her brother since his first extermination. But, it wasn't what her mind was most focused on.

"He admires you very much, out of all the exterminators, I think…"

Sango didn't answer, but pierced the bone boomerang with her gaze. He always liked to wander into personal territory in conversation, but so kindly. She had been so used to, of late, having to drag him away from girls or act offended at his actions. To look him in the eye with complete seriousness was making her nervous.

And who had put them alone in such a small room?

As if on cue with her thoughts, the village's chief entered the room, a pleasant smile gracing his round features. "We welcome you here, taiji-ya. It pleases us that the exterminators have agreed to help us out…but.." he surveyed the two with a kind of confused disappointment. "Why are there only two of you? I had hoped that you could have sent many more."

Miroku raised an eyebrow, but said nothing. Sango immediately was apologetic. "It grieves me to inform you, Akashi-sama, that there has been a recent battle in which many of our men were wounded. We were the only two that could be spared."

He bit his lip almost nervously. "Ah, that is indeed grievous."

Miroku cleared his throat. "If I may ask, why do you need more than two hunters?"

"The demons of the mountain, they have taken my lovely daughter away. They have told the village that they will kill her."

"Why was she taken away?"

The older man's voice trembled. "I…do not know…"

Miroku was quiet for a moment, then spoke once more. "Well, we are more powerful then we look. We will stake out the area tomorrow once we have rested, and see what we can do. That is all I can offer." Sango marveled at how his tone had become unnaturally sharp, almost rude. But, why was he acting this way towards a country man who needed their help? She looked on silently.

"Yes…." The chief said, slowly. "That would be wise…" the words sounded doubtful, hesitant.

Miroku had folded his hands inside his robe sleeves, was studying the fire once more.

"You two…." The chief spoke now towards Sango. "You are married, then?"

Sango nearly dropped the heavy weapon on the wooden floor, as a squeak escaped her mouth. "….Married?! We-we're no such thing!" She was blushing darkly.

The man looked apologetic, as he bowed to her. "I am sorry if I have offended you. Unfortunately, we have but one spare room in my house, and I must ask for you to share a room, if that is not too much to ask."

She shook her head, silently. What could she say to that, after all?

The chief finally bowed out of their room, leaving them to their own devices.

Miroku was grinning slightly, even as he looked deep in thought. Sango tried not to meet his eyes. Married? Did they really look like a couple? Of course not! Where could anyone get a thought like that from?

"You know, you didn't have to deny it so adamantly!" He said it with mock offense, as he smiled teasingly.

She frowned, embarrassed. "I just didn't want anyone…to get the wrong impression." She rubbed the cleaning cloth harder on the smooth surface, so he wouldn't see her hands shake. Then, a thought coming to her, her head popped up again. "Why were you so rude to him?"

"Don't you think what he said was suspicious?"

"What do you mean?! His daughter needs to be saved! What could be less suspicious?"

Miroku sighed. "I may just be reading too much into his actions…but something about the way he spoke irritated me. When he talked about his daughter, he barely even flinched, as if he were not sad. Then, he insisted that there be more taiji-ya, without even seeing our strengths….I don't know if I trust him."

Sango listened hard, taking it all in. She didn't know who was right, but, somehow, Miroku's words made sense to her. "I don't know if I believe those things…" she said, quietly. "But, it may be safe to keep an eye out for extra suspicions or danger."

Miroku nodded. "I think that is the only thing we can do."

He yawned widely. "And, I think it's time we get some rest."

"I agree."

XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX

A/N: Please let me know what you think! I wrote this chapter kind of hastily in order to get it up faster. I'll be going back later this weekend to revise it.

Also, if you get a chance, I would appreciate it if you could check out my new fic, "A Match Made in Heaven." It's InuKag and MirSan, and I think it has great potential. I, personally, adore it.

Thanks for reading!