InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Protector ❯ My Protector ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

My Protector
By: Kitz the Kitsune
________________

Title: My Protector
Genre: Romance, Drama, One-Shot
Rating: PG-13
Series: Inuyasha
Warnings: Foul Language, Death
Pairings: Kyoushuu/Mika
Summary: A warm summer's breeze caressed my face, and I knew he was watching me again. He always did. He was my protector. My secret loving protector....

-13-

I ran harder as the mob's shouts closed in on me. 'Your fault!!!' Their chants rang in my mind. 'No! No! I'm didn't mean to! I'm sorry!' I screamed to myself trying to deny the inevitable truth; it was my fault. I suddenly tripped over a protruding branch, twisted in mid air, and landed hard on the dirt floor beneath me. I tried to get up, but found, to my horror, that I couldn't move. It was like gravity had increased ten-fold over my body, keeping me there so I could suffer and be ravished by my own guilt and self-conscience. The screams, rants, and raves grew closer, breaking the silence that had coveted the night.
 
"There she is!" a person uncovered my hiding place, "There the traitor lies!" 'No!' I screamed in my mind, unable to find my voice, 'You've got it all wrong! I didn't mean to! It was an accident!' Unfortunately when I had fallen, I had fallen upon my back, and was facing the sky. The heavens sparkled in their extraterrestrial glory, and a wandering thought asked 'Would this be the last thing I ever see?' Pounding footsteps alerted me of the coming doom, but I ignored them remembering how I got in this situation.
 
-*- Flashback -*-
 
It was starting out to be the ever normal day for me. I woke up to find the hut empty of my master, Saishii, and my young apprentice, Emi. The sun was already peeking up over the dark horizon I noted absentmindedly peeking outside. I sighed as I remembered how I came to be here, but shook the memories off with a refreshing deep breath of air. I arose from my futon, and picked up my regular training outfit. My baggy black pants, and black wife beater contrasted sharply with the kimonos and yukatas of this time, but I didn't care because at least I had a reminder of home with me every day. I picked up my bow and katana, and yawned as I stepped outside the hut. I felt a familiar aura on the edge of the forest, and smiled up at the treetops.
 
"Ohayo!” I called cheerily to the treetops, “Are you going to come down, and talk to me today?” I heard a slight rustle as he jumped to the next tree following my gentle pace to the hot springs. I sighed inwardly at the lack of response, and berated myself because I knew he only came down when I was losing a battle; physical or emotional. I stopped myself from daydreaming back to one of those days. Those were stories for other days.
 
"Fine. Up yours then!" I shouted at the mysterious form. I heard a strange noise that sounded like a mixture between a rumble, purr, and light growl. I had long ago connected it as a form of laughter from him, and, many a day, enjoyed getting him to make it. Though some days, like today, I hated when he laughed at my insults and pirate like curses. I swore softly under my breath, and started a full out sprint toward the really-long-five-miles-away hot springs. I knew, by his shadow, he was following her effortlessly, but to lose him wasn't the point of my running.
 
I closed my eyes, and took in a deep breath of fresh forest air. I didn't need to know where I was running to know where I was going because the forest would never lead me awry. I ran for about fifteen more minutes before the mist of the hot spring hit my face, and I stopped and opened her eyes. I felt him still behind her, looping among the treetops, about a mile away. I smirked at his actions, knowing from the first, and last, time he was peeking he got what was coming to him. I sighed again, but shook myself from the memory. That, also, was a story for another day.
 
I hurried, bathed, and dressed, and was ready in the maximum of fifteen minutes. For a teenage girl with needs, I was feeling proud of my maximum time. I picked up my sleeping yukata, bow, and katana, and started running back to the village. He picked me up, bridal style, about a two miles away from the hot spring, and ran north of the village. I gasped in surprise because he rarely interacted with me, heck he had never spoken with me! I sometimes talked to him so I wouldn't crack, and start talking to myself constantly. I talked to him about the future, my past, and my sister, Kagome, because I knew he was from the future.
 
Most of the time he wore a pair of hakama pants with a matching robe. Both were black, and embroidered in sapphire, and the robe had a sleeping blue fox on the back with sapphire rose petals falling around it. The pants had sapphire rose petals going down the right side, and a matching sash around his waist. At his side he carried a sword surrounded with ancient aura, and a single lavender and black rose.
 
I had often wondered if the rose was from a past love of his, and he kept it by his side in her memory. But every time I thought that it brought a sigh to my lips. Like now. He looked down at me when I sighed, but looked back up a second later to see where he was going.
 
“Where are you taking me?” I asked curious about our destination. This had never happened before! He didn't grant me with an answer, and I responded with a unhappily muttered 'Fuck you then.' He made his laughing sound, and his vibrated off his chest giving me a peculiar tickling sensation. I giggled uncharacteristically, and decided to get a better look at his face.
 
He had deep sapphire eyes that clashed beautifully with his cinnamon skin. His fangs and black claws glinted eerily in the early dawn's light, while his shoulder length sapphire forelocks brushed against my cheek. I blinked interest when I realized his hair fell in a tightly coiled obsidian braid that ended right below his waist. The blue seemed to blend with the black in barely noticeable streaks, and his bangs seemed to be colored in the same fashion. I then led my eyes to the objects of affection on my object of inquiry; his ears. He had pointy midnight black ears that twitched every so often from behind his ruffled bangs.
 
I know it my sound strange that I'm describing him to you like this, but I'm an artist. Ok not really. I just sketch, but I pay excruciating amounts of detail to, well, detail. He looked down at me again with his curious sapphire orbs, but once again continued on where he was going. I felt something brush against my left hand and looked down at the most curious appendage... a tail! It was sleek and black and it looked like the end was dipped in a bucket of dark blue paint. I shifted to look behind my guardian to see the base of his tail wrap around his waist. I wondered what would happen if I touched it. Hmmmm......
 
I ignore my unfounded urges to touch his tail as I felt our decent. I looked around to discover I was in a beautiful, scenic clearing with a waterfall, butterflies, and all that other cute fluffy spring like stuff. I felt his presence move from behind me, and I turned to see him sitting atop a boulder gazing vaguely in my direction.
 
“Thank you.” I was surprised to hear the words come from my mouth. I can't remember the last time, or if I ever, thanked someone. His eyes seemed to smile at me even though he only grinned sheepishly. I decided since he responded I might as well continue with my conversation.
 
“What's your name?” I had always wondered what his name was, and what his voice would sound like. He seemed to hesitate a minute before answering, but finally he did.
 
“My name is Kyoushuu, but you may call me Kyo.” Kyoushuu? Coy and Charming? It seemed to fit him well. His voice was smooth as silk, but deep as the rolling thunder before a rain shower.
 
“Why haven't you spoken to me before?” I asked curious to his mysterious ways of following me. “And why do you follow me?” His facial expression did not change in the least, but his eyes reflected the answers I wanted to hear.
 
“I refrained from speaking to you, and I follow you, because my orders state for me to protect you at all cost. I was not supposed to interact with you.” His voice had a clipped, professional air to it, but it was smoothed out by his deep rolling voice, and softened blue eyes.
 
“Protect me?” I wondered aloud more to myself then to him. “Why? I'm not that important. Or am I dangerous? Can me not being from this time affect something?” I couldn't help the questions that flowed eagerly from my mouth. Questions I had wondered for so long...
 
He seemed highly amused by my enthusiasm, but answered my questions all the same. “You and your sister decide the fate of the world. While Kagome now travels with a inu hanyou by the name of Inuyasha collecting the shards of the jewel; you are the only one who can purify it.”
 
“What?” I couldn't help the question from falling from my lips. Kagome was at home, in Japan, in 1997, with Souta, Mama, and Jii-chan. I had disappeared down a well at my school abroad in New York, USA. The well had been destroyed moments after I fell in. He seemed to have read my thoughts as they passed across my face.
 
“Your sister fell into the well upon the grounds of your home in Japan. It transported her here where she freed Inuyasha from his curse, and accidentally broke the Shikon no Tama. They now both seek together to complete the jewel. You probably will not see her until the final battle with Naraku.” He didn't need to explain Naraku. I knew exactly who he was...
 
“How do you know all of this? What are we going to do-” I was cut off by a foreign gasp from the bushes. I turned to see my master's newest apprentice, Emi, I think her name was. She gazed at both me and Kyoushuu in complete shock before drawing her arrow.
 
“NO!” I shouted forcefully putting myself between the arrow's path and Kyoushuu. Just as the arrow was going to hit it's mark an eerie bluish green light surrounded me, and the arrow seemed to pause before my heart, turn, and strike right through the young girls heart.
 
I could only stare at the girl as her life blood flowed from her already dead body. There was no question whether or not she was alive. The arrow had gone straight through her chest taking her heart out as it struck through her and hit a tree. I dropped unconsciously to my knees, and I felt him wrap his arms around me. I don't know when I started sobbing, and I don't know when I stopped, but all I know when I awoke... I was alone.
 
The sun was about to set when I awoke from my slumber, and to my horror the village men were gazing at me with unreadable expressions. They stood over Emi's body, looking from me, to her body, to the arrow, and finally to look over my head. I turned to see Kyo in chains, ropes, and covered with ofudas struggling fruitlessly to free himself while soldiers stood stoically over his body. My master approached me slowly; I still to in shock to speak.
 
“Higurashi Mika,” she spoke in a professional tone. “You have slain young Emi in cold blood. What do you have to say for yourself?” I looked into my master's stone cold brown eyes that looked like barren land, and told the absolute truth.
 
“I don't know.” Silence surrounded the clearing, chilling me to the bone. I turned panicked, confused eyes to Kyo, and was afraid to realize my gaze reflected in his own.
 
“I TOLD YOU!” One of the village men bellowed to the soldiers. “THAT WRETCHED HALF-BREED CORRUPTED HER! HE SHOULD BE SLAIN!”
 
“NO!” I cried out throwing myself in front of Kyoushuu. “Emi... Emi she walked into the clearing where I found this-” I cut myself off, and looked down to Kyoushuu. “-hanyou. I was inquiring his presence when Emi walked in, and immediately drew her arrow-”
 
“-As she should.” My master interrupted. “All of youkai descent are evil.” I silently shook with my rage at the ignorance of the people.
 
“That's not true.” I whispered, but I believe that only Kyo heard me. I rose my voice back to normal level, and continued. “- I tried to stop her because my inquiries were not finished, and to my surprise I glowed a bluish green and the arrow turned, and hit it's intended mark... on Emi's body.” Silence once again engulfed the peaceful clearing.
 
Suddenly a dark bluish black engulfed the clearing, thick like fog........
 
-*- Flashback -*-
 
The next thing I knew Kyoushuu was gone, I was being called a witch, and chased to my death through this kami-forsaken forest. I blinked out of my reverie to realize that I was being tied up, chained, and ofuda covered. I heard a dark treacherous voice whisper in my ear.
 
“You thought he would save you, didn't you wench?” he spat cruelly while tying my wrist so tight it drew blood. “Well he fled leaving your worthless ass here! We will destroy you for what you did to my precious daughter Emi.” I felt warm tears slide down my cheeks as they started to drag me away toward the village. A chilling growl stopped everyone in their tracks.
 
In all of his glory stood Kyoushuu stood menacingly on the path. He was growling, flexing his claws, and his eyes and aura portrayed an eerie, homicidal onyx.
 
“wHeRe Is ShE?” he spoke in a chilling tone, his deep voice shaking us to the core with the implied violence behind it. The crowd of villagers parted like the Red Sea to show me in all of my binds. I looked at him upside down from my place on the ground, and he snarled menacingly beside me in an instant. He easily cut through my chains with his sharp claws, and turned his intimidating eyes on my master. “You said you would protect her from harm and prosecution. You lied.” he informed coldly. “Your death is nearing.”
 
I saw my master blanch at the cold words, and I finally realized why Kyo had left. He had expected my master to protect me, but she had failed. I started to cry out of relief. I had thought he had abandoned me, but he hadn't. He flicked an ear toward my crying form, and, without breaking eye contact with my master, picked me up bridal style. I felt something warm drip down my arms as I gazed into the face of my pissed savior, and murmured as it all went black. “Arigato, koibito.”
 
-13- Love Anime. Now and Forever more. -13-
 
I blinked groggily as I awoke, confused at the sight of the wooden ceiling above me. I heard a low chanting voice from beside me, and turned to see a young woman praying over a bowl of spices. The bright green leaves slowly turned a bright red, and finally faded into an eerie bluish-black color. I watched amazed as the leaves seemed to turn instantly to dust, and then swirl into a liquid like substance right before my eyes.
 
The girl finally looked up, and I gasped seeing her eyes were an eerie light blue coloring, just like the sky. She stood to her full height, and I scanned her profile. She had ink black shoulder length hair that had sky blue highlights... or was it the other way around? I couldn't tell. Her skin tone was about the same at Kyo's, and she seemed to be human surprisingly. I blushed when I realized I had been staring, but she had been examining me as well.
 
“Hello.” I greeted, blushing at the sound of my raspy voice. Just how long had I been here? Where was Kyoushuu? She giggled lightly at my voice before smiling kindly.
 
“Good Evening Higurashi-san.” she greeted formally bowing lightly. I blushed and sputtered at such a high greeting.
 
“Mika!” I finally got out. “My name is just Mika. What's yours?”
 
“Well just Mika,” she snickered lightly, “My name is Kaosu. You are in the village of Marada.”
 
“Oh.” I said not really knowing where we where. Where was Kyoushuu?
 
“Kyoushuu is outside in the trees if you wish to see him.” She seemed to smile while saying these words. I blushed thinking she had just read my mind, rose slowly, and walked to the forest's edge. I saw his shadow dancing among the treetops, and had to smile to myself.
 
“Arigato.” I called up to the treetops. His shadow seemed to pause before he himself was in front of me.
 
“You've already said that koibito.” he whispered only for my ears. I blushed for like the millionth time today, and gave him a small smile. He leaned forward slowly, and barely brushed his lips against mine before he was.. gone. I stood smiling for a moment before running out into the middle of a nearby clearing with my eyes closed. A warm summer's breeze caressed my face, and I knew he was watching me again. He always did. He was my protector. My secret loving protector....