InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Not Knowing ❯ Midoriko’s Cave and the Answers to Questions ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 14: Midoriko's Cave and the Answers to Questions
 
Saya faced the female hanyou that she had come to see as a friend.

”This is as far as I take you” She said, “There is no way I'm going in there.” She inclined her head towards the darkness of the cave. Mira could hear the dripping of water and the faint sense of a dead demonic aura, one that has been dissipated for hundreds of years.
 
Mira blinked at the border of the cave. Sensing the barrier that surrounded it, only the purest of hearts may pass through. She removed Saya's mothers green sarong, her kimono, still damp and her body felt cold, but she'd live.
 
Her silver hair clung to her back and her neck, but at least her clothes weren't as constricting as they were a while ago. The heat from walking around had done some good.
 
Well… here she was. Mira reached up and clasped the blessed jewel once more in her clawed hands, before taking her time, taking one step at a time into the moist grotto.
 
The second she reached it, se felt a convulsing pain run through her. She squeezed her eyes shut and did her best to venture onward. The shocking pain numbed her body, the feeling only made her tighten her grip on the semiprecious stone. Mira could feel her hair whipping around her face, smelled the burning odor on her clothes.
 
Soon enough the barrier gave way, and the pain subsided. Mira opened her eyes and rubbed them from the pain that was currently present from closing to tight, than blinked. Gazing back at Saya, who was scared and worried as she witnessed what, had just happened.
 
Mira released a breath, and looked down at her being. Her clothes were dry. She could smell as well as hear the sizzling, both on skin and fabric.
 
Saya even heard the burning and rushed over to Mira and pushed her sleeve up. Mira's arm that was a full rich color had turned to an ashy black and grey spotted with dark purple.
 
Mira yanked her arm away, and continued her way through the cavern. Allowing her sight to adjust to the total darkness, before stepping onto the moist floor. Feeling it change from under her feet, from warm semi moist grass, to stone cold wet ground.
 
Passing the barrier outside and coming in, Mira heard more drippings of water on the sharp teeth like stalactites on the ground. An occasional drop would hit her on the head.
 
Shaking the cold sensation and flicking her ears to get the small amount of water out of them, she looked up and saw crystals shining naturally. Like stars locked up in one room. Mira felt the ground and the air grow colder. And before her eyes the cave opened up, a bright light shining down in the middle of the room.
 
The blinding light that disrupted her sight seemingly damaged them fore a minute or two. Blinking a few times to adjust she rubbed them with the back of her hand. Focusing her regaining agitated eyes, Mira gazed upon the large rock formation in the middle of the room like area.
 
The ground was smooth like marble, perfect. As though the whole place was cleared from something. Mira's clawed hands scrapped against the wall gently enough not to accidentally mark it.
 
Step by small step Mira made her way to the center of the room, gazing at the immense effigy surrounded by a glowing light from the opening in the upper limit that was carved in to an almost perfect circle, sparkles from what ever was above her floated down, casting even more beauty to the oddly shaped sculpture.
 
Mira stepped closer and took a better look.

'A woman?' She thought, `This must be the Priestess Midoriko. Well it's no wonder why this cave is considered such.'
 
The priestesses shape had seen better days. Faded and worn with time and running water. Midoriko would only be standing here for a couple more hundred more years or so. Though she could be made out, her face was full of serenity. Even the flower like mark was still noticeable on her forehead.
 
Mira's eyes wandered further down, coming across the hole in her chest, she rested a hand in the inner rim. She had heard stories; this was where the Shikon Jewel was forced out. Speaking of, the jewel started to pulse again. `Silence.' She said to it.
 
Her attention was drawn away, when she felt a small irritation on the side of her neck. So she did what any one would do, she smacked it. Hearing a squish sound, she pulled back her hand to see what it was that bit her.
 
`A flea… how irritating.' Mira muttered to her self as she watched it flutter in the air down to her palm. Man oh man did she have half a mind to kill it.
 
“Master… Inuyasha… why would you do such a thing.” The flea said. Mira narrowed her eyes in annoyance.
 
“Um, excuse me. Do I look like a man?” She asked. Then she thought about what the flea said, “What the hell is it with people mistaking me for my father?”

The flea popped to his original size, those huge eyes of his that stared at her, made her feel uncomfortable.
 
`Resist… squish.' She thought.
 
“You are Master Inuyasha's daughter?” He asked.
 
Mira sighed, “Yes I am.” She said flatly, yet full of pride.
 
“Master actually settled down? Wow, never thought he would any time soon.” He said with, well… I guess it was a smile, Mira certainly couldn't tell. The damn insect didn't even look like he had a mouth, “So does this mean Kagome is your mother? Where are your parents? Are you here alone?”

TOO MANY QUESTIONS! Mira thought as her free hand came crashing down upon the one the flea was on, creating a loud smacking sound. Lifting her hand to see that the flea had actually moved before her hand made contact
 
“That is no way to treat your elder's young lady. You definitely are Master Inuyasha's daughter.” With her keen senses she could hear him speak, seeing him sit upon a part of the statue that was once a demon… just as Midoriko was once human.
 
Mira looked away from the flea, “Oh where are my manners, my name is Myoga.”

”Oh so you're the retainer that always ran off at the sight of battle.” She said, placing her hand on her hip, directly above her blade.
 
“Humph… well I for one am dishonored.” Saying so as he crossed all four of his arms and sat down on the stone, “But again, where are your parents?” He asked again
 
Mira stayed silent, she had left home not that long ago, and she was feeling homesick for a short time. Myoga was concerned for her silence.
 
Though she finally did answer, “My father is with my older brother back at the village.”

”And your mother?”

Silence… “Dead.” She whispered.
 
Myoga was not aware of Kagome's demise nor was he aware of Mira's birth; he knew how much Inuyasha loved her. Mira was perfect proof of that.
 
She gazed at the statue once more. The wind from the cave entrance had blown past her gently, lifting her hair and swinging it over her shoulder. The light from the roof shone down on her and reflected in her eyes and on her skin.
 
Myoga noted that she had her mother's beauty, as well as her fathers… and her grandfathers. Another thing she had gained from the Taisho family was her rich sweet blood.
 
A shudder ran up both the flea youkai and the inu hanyou, “I think I will take my leave.” Said the flea, bounding on Mira's shoulder.
 
“Go on ahead, I ain't stopping ya.” She said, fully aware of the sudden chill.
 
“You're not, but he is.” He said, as Myoga stared at the intruder that blocked the only exit.
 
AN: OMG, this is my first authors note, so I hope every one is enjoying it so far. I really need some reviews, let me know how I'm doing, but not only that…
I'M RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS. So I'm really gonna need help soon.
Well, in the next chapter, Mira finally gets the answers to her questions, about past present and future. Who knows she may get an answer that will please everyone.