InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Not Knowing ❯ Are We Being Followed? ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


Chapter23: Are We Being Followed?
 
The night went comfortably, considering Mira and the rest of them didn't worry about demons that night. This gave them the opportunity for the injuries to relax some.
 
Morning came and all was woken by the sound of the bird's gentle song. All but Mira, who was up before the sun. Like her father, she too, didn't get much sleep when she was outside. At home she would sleep the whole night.
 
She had gone out to check out the area, and the village they would soon come to. It was small, and the people seemed nice. They were coming close to the waters major shore, and close to her aunts home.
 
`Maybe I should visit Aiji and see how her wedding is coming along soon.' She thought. She and Aiji were close, and some would say that they were twins, had it not been the dark hair color difference and the fur around Aiji. Other than that, they did look alike. Their human nights were almost hard to tell them apart. Aiji's brown hair occasionally mixed with her back hair, and made it difficult to decipher if it were black or brown.
 
But there was another reason for waking up early, something dangerous permeated in the air. Something foul and toxic.
 
Mira bounded up a few tree's until she could see the full landscape. The suns colors were more red this morning and eerie looking. Over the horizon, a thick line of purple clouded the area.
 
`Something's wrong' Was Mira's only thought before she bounded back down the tree and walked back to her campsite, where Saya was sitting by the fire that had been lit. But the boys were no where in sight. She looked at the clearing, then to Saya, “They went to go hunting.” She said.
 
Mira nodded, and walked over to the fire sitting in front of the taijiya, “Inukuro… has decided... to stay with us. To fight with us when the time we meet Naraku comes.” Saya said.
 
Mira said nothing for a minute or two, “I see.”

“You're ok with this?”

“Why wouldn't I be, I ain't holdin anyone back, and refusing no offer am I?”
 
“No, it's just… nothing, forget it. It was stupid of me to say something like that. Forgive me.” Saya said with a slight smile.
 
Mira shook her head, “Nothin to forgive about.”
 
The boys came back about an hour later, carrying a deer carcass over their shoulders. Inukuro in front and Honou carrying the back. Saya beamed with glee at the boy's large catch.
 
“It was a good hunt; we got there early enough to catch it.” Honou said, “Well, actually Inukuro did most of the work, he's the one who caught it.”
 
Inukuro scoffed and set the deer down, as the girls went right to skinning. Saya pulled out her knife and worked on one end, while Mira used her claws and worked one the other.
 
Once skinned and cleaned, both Mira and Inukuro pulled large chunks of meat apart into smaller portions and set them by the fire to be cooked. During the pulling process, Saya and Honou grabbed a few containers and walked over to the river to fill them up.
 
After that… all was silent. And the scent that Mira detected earlier was becoming more noted. Coming closer, close enough that Inukuro smelled it now. But by then, Mira's senses were becoming sore. The dogs in the west had a more sensitive nose, which was probably why enemies used high smelling things when they attacked.
 
She groaned a few times and held her head, Saya would occasionally ask if she was ok. And she brushed it off as nothing.
 
Inukuro knew better though. When Mira looked in his direction… she too, knew what was wrong.
 
“I need some water, I'll be right back.” She said as she stood up and brushed off her backside, before turning her heel and walking away.
 
Saya knew something was wrong, “Hold on, I'll come….”
 
“No… I'll be fine.”

Saya was on one knee when she said that, she set back down on the ground, then brought her gaze to the dieing fire.
 
~~
 
Once she reached the river, Mira just jumped in. Needing the cold water on her heated body. All the toxins in the air were driving her crazy and left her feeling queasy and hot.
 
She remerged from the water, disturbing the peacefulness it once possessed, shaking her hair and running it through her fingers, then shaking it once more.
 
She sighed, and looked down at her reflection, and dipped her hands in the water and splashed her face.
 
“I take it you sense it too?” She asked when she felt a presence behind her. Inukuro.
 
“Yeah, so what's the plan? We stay; we could be intoxicated… then what?”
 
“If we go…. What do you think will happen?” She asked as she repeated her motions again.
 
“It could be a way to Naraku.”
 
“And if it is, do you think we're ready to fight him? Most of us are still trying to recover.”

”What the hell from, huh?” He asked, Mira could sense his anger rising
 
She whisked around and glared at him, “It ain't any of your business.” She waded through the water and stepped on the bank
 
Then she plopped down on the ground and rung out the sleeves of her kimono. The blood stains had been washed out days ago, but the marks on her skin were still present.
 
When she raised her sleeves to ring them out, they were seen. Inukuro just stared at them, “You got a problem or something?” She asked when she felt his gaze.
 
“Nothin.” That was the only word that left his lips as he turned his heel and went back to the campsite.
 
`What a weird boy.' She thought as she shook her sleeves once more, stood up, and followed his footsteps.
 
She was about to enter the forest, when some sort of presence made its way to her form. She stiffened, a hand on the tree that she stood by, and she waited. Mira could feel the figure moving closer, and silently. Almost like a shadow.
 
Her left hand, reached down to her obi and reached for her blade. Dragging her claws against the metal, hearing them ring in her ears.
 
The minute she heard a twig snap, she drew and whirled around, to find… no one there. Her eyes gazed around the open area as she slipped her blade back, and still no one. No presence, no sign of any one there. But Mira was sure someone was there. An aura lingered, in the spot directly in front of her.
 
Mira kneeled down and touched the area. A certain darkness sat there, and it disturbed her. She quickly got up and headed out.
 
Unaware of the eyes that were watching her.
 
“Mira, your wet again?” Saya asked when she saw Mira step into the cleaning.

”I needed to cool off.” Mira constantly looked back.
 
“Mira,” Honou called, catching her attention as she looked in his direction.
 
“We can walk to the village from here; we don't need the boat any more.”

”That's fine, let's head out then.” She said as she walked passed Inukuro, who had rested against a thick tree. She passed him and said nothing.
 
Saya grabbed her pack and slung it behind her shoulders, then slipped her scythe into the tie around her waist.
 
Honou was ready and had followed Mira's steps close behind
 
`Good, so neither of them had noticed any thing yet.' Mira thought to her self as she noticed that both of the humans had sensed nothing yet.
 
Kilala had perched herself on Inukuro's shoulder. Taking a liking to him so quickly, and he to her, as he scratched behind the nekomatta's ear.
 
Although, he could feel eyes watching their every move, the sooner they got to the village… the better.
 
~Mid Afternoon~
 
It has been at least three hours by the time they had reached the village. It was a rather medium sized town, full of bustling people doing their daily chores or selling goods.
 
Or at least that's how it was when the group barged through. The site of the humans was shrugged off, but the sight of the two hanyou's and the demon perched on the males shoulders… well, that went unnoticed.
 
Strange how Mira's parents were well know… and people looked at her as though she was just another stray walking in.
 
One lone human stopped in their path, “Your kind is not welcome here. Turn your tails and leave us in peace. Nothing more than a burden to us.” Referring to the demon part of the pack.

Mira growled, “Your kind?”
 
“Yes your kind abomination.”

Bad mistake, Mira's rage shot through the roof every time that name was directed to her
 
“Oh… I know you did not just call me an abomination.” She bolted, but was shrugged back quickly.
 
Inukuro had grabbed her around the waist and her left wrist and pulled her back, “It ain't worth it. Hasn't you father taught you better. This is what he went through when he was younger.” He whispered in her ear.
 
She struggled still, doing her best to manage her anger. Growls emanated from deep in her throat.
 
She pulled away from his grip, “We're just passin' through, you damn bastard.” She glared at the man. The small mid-aged man, who didn't even pass her chest, and he was giving her complaints.
 
The man shook in fear, “Trust me, I had no anticipation for stayin here. We're just passin through.”

“Then you may leave.” He said, then brought his attention over to Saya and Honou. “As for you, your slavery has been let off.”

”Slavery?” Saya asked.
 
“You may leave these abominations now and may stay here.”

”We're not slaves.” Honou said.
 
The man looked as thepugh he were in shock, “Any one who shares any form of a relationship with… those things, has to be one themselves. Leave our town now.”
 
“Yosuke, that will be enough.” A woman called. Her complexion was like no other. Black hair that was tied up at the back of her head. A long flowing kimono with multiple colors and layers.
 
She had to be the daimyo's daughter from the nearby castle.
 
“But Princess…” the man stumbled.
 
“They are welcome here.” She interrupted. She walked up to Mira first, seeing that she was the closest one.
 
“Forgive this man, he knows not of you.” She bowed deeply.
 
“Please, do not bow your majesty.” Mira said as she looked off to the side.
 
“Kami, not?” The princess said as she looked up. “Your father and friends saved this village long ago.”

The old man in the background continued to stare, `The princess has been possessed by a demon.'
 
“Please, come with me. You may stay at the manor if you wish.”

”I am sorry, but we must be out and on our way. We've wasted a lot of time in the forest and must make up the time we have lost.” Inukuro spoken up as he walked up to stand next to her.
 
Mira nodded at his comment, and the princess nodded, “Please understand that you are welcome here.” The she giggled, “My, my Mira, you certainly are becoming such like your mother.”
 
Mira raised an eyebrow, and the princess just looked between the two hanyou's. Mira looked to Inukuro, the back to the princess, that's when she got the thought and blushed and turned away.
 
Inukuro… sadly enough, had missed this.
 
She raised her hand and covered her face with the sleeve of her kimono and started to walk away.
 
“Lets restock and head out already.” Mira said to Honou and Saya.
 
Saya snickered, “Your face is as red as a tomato. What ever happened to you?”

Mira shot a glare at her. `If you value your life, shut the hell up.' That look sent chills down Saya's and Honou's back.
 
Saya walked over to a booth and looked at the merchandise, thinking of what may be highly needed.
 
She found some food, water containers, bags and some fabric they could use. And yeah, just like their father, they conned to get money when needed. She as a fortune teller and he as an exorcist. Though their mother never approved of this, they did get what they needed and nothing more.
 
Mira examined a few of the weaponry they had and scoffed. A few of the men didn't like they way she dressed, but liked her blades. So being the greedy idiots they are, they challenged her… and lost.
 
“What a bunch of fools.” She breathed, as she slipped her blades under her obi and walked away. Taking the bow and arrow she claimed as a prize.
 
Although most of her demon heritage showed, she took pride in her human nature as well, and being part miko, she had to learn to use on of these. Sooner or later.
 
It was just a regular old ordinary bow; she slung it over her shoulder and made her way to the river bank.
 
Saya, Honou and Inukuro all met up with her in no time at all, showing the material they had bought. Once they were packed, they headed out.
 
But Mira couldn't shake off the feeling that someone had been following them since the minute they woke up.
 
AN. Well another chapter is done, and I only got one review… sigh… how sad. Well, any way if anyone has questions please email me or put it in a review and I'll do my best to answer them, and if any one has any ideas… please tell me. I hope you are all enjoying the story. Please tell me how I'm doing. TAH