InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Not So Long ago... ❯ Oversued Titles ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Not so long ago...
 
No, that beginning is used WAY too much! Not to mention that it's inaccurate...
 
How about a classic? That sounds about right...
 
Once upon a time, long, long, ago, there lived a demon. This demon was an intelligent and powerful TaiYoukai of royal blood and, frankly, a royally annoying attitude.
 
Not that he knew that. Most humans and demons were too scared to clue him in. In fact, only his father ever dared to speak out-of-terms to him. However, his father had been dead for a long time. So had his mother.
 
This demon was patrolling the Western lands. The thing is, he was not supposed to be doing so. Why? They were his lands. After the destruction of Naraku, his servants had practically held him under castle-arrest.
 
"It's too dangerous, my Lord!" They would say. How right they were. It was sheer havoc outside his walls. Thousands upon thousands of demons had been released from the body when Naraku was slaughtered Naraku. Not the small, worthless demons that could be dissolved with one strike, either. Big, dangerous, deadly demons. Dangerous to even our main taiyoukai. That was dangerous.
 
Therefore, the only solution was to sneak out. Actually, it was easier than it seemed. Our muse chuckled aloud as he slipped by his last phase of security, running into the woods to escape from their sense of smell as soon as possible.
 
Not that it mattered. If any of his guards caught him, they could be easily disposed of. He just didn't feel like smelling like blood.
 
After walking for nearly two hours through the woods, he found himself on the edge of a clearing. Peeking through the trees, he found that there were two demons battling it out in the tree-less area. One was a small-ish green, mantis demon who was winning. Its opponent, a young dog demon, whom was bleeding badly, was loosing horrendously. She, for our demon could tell that it was a female, looked to be on the brink of passing out.
 
Without hesitating, he-our demon- jumped into the fray, destroying the mantis with one swing of his claws. What the-? Why am I helping this whelp? If she wants to die, why am I saving her?!
 
But, just as he struck, the mantis copied his move, slashing the demon Lord across the chest, utterly destroying his kimono.
 
Damn it, this kimono was expensive! Nevertheless, according to his body, which wasn't obeying his mind, what he cared about more was the girl/demon.
 
As soon as the mantis fell to the ground, the female canine demon collapsed as well, returning to her almost-human form. Our muse twisted around and caught her barely an instant before her face hit the ground. The demon Lord helped her up without a word. She looked confused, as if she had only just woken up from sleep, as she stared at him with large amber eyes, her white hair falling from its ponytail.
 
"Are you alright?" Our demon asked. Not that I care... The she-demon nodded slowly.
 
"I think so," She replied, smiling. Suddenly the girl started to laugh, falling to the ground.
 
What. The. Hell. WHY IS SHE LAUGHING?! Our muse was absolutely outraged. Yet, for some Kami-known reason, he felt like laughing too. Not knowing what to do, he finally settled on searching for an explanation.
 
"Why are you laughing?" He asked, grabbing her arm and tugging her up again. She 'eep'-ed and a crack could be heard for a quarter-league around. Was that...Did I just snap her wrist?
 
Surprisingly, the she-demon kept laughing as she pried her arm from his vice grip.
 
"That was," She said between fits of giggles, "Absolutely incredible." She stood for a moment before her breath calmed and she could speak uninterrupted.
 
"I'm Amaya. Thanks so much for saving me." She said, bending into a small bow. "Who might you be?"
 
Our muse turned and walked away, uttering only one word. Had the girl not been a demon, she wouldn't have heard it.
 
"Sesshoumaru."
 
~
 
10 years in the future, Sesshoumaru, Lord of the Western lands and Master of the House of the Moon, sat up in bed, head pounding, eyes red and fangs bared. As you can imagine, this was awfully frightening to the child who was trying to wake him up. The poor girl jumped so high that she fell off the bed, hitting her head on the wall. After that, to add to her poor master's headache, she started to howl.
 
"Ooooooooow! Lord Sesshoumaru, why did you do that?!" Rin cried, getting up dizzily. Sesshoumaru looked at the girl and almost smiled. This girl was definitely the Rin he saved those years ago. She had grown a bit since than, though. Her hair was longer and she was about a foot and a half taller, not to mention that she had developed beyond the small kimono she used to wear. In fact, it would only fit her at a shirt.
 
Stretching his newly paired arms, he got up and reached out a hand to help her. (His left arm FINALLY grew back! ^_^)
 
By Sesshoumaru's count, she had been around for about five years. She insisted that it had to be less. Ah, puberty must force it's victims to have the need to be correct. He resolved after many hours of thinking it over.
 
"My apologies, Rin. I had a rather...upsetting dream." He said. He had long since resolved to tell the girl the whole truth most of the time, mostly to avoid a verbal fight with Rin, as he always lost. Along with that, when Sesshoumaru was alone with Rin, he allowed his emotions to show themselves. He found that it actually helped his temper.
 
"You wanna tell me what it was about?" Rin asked kindly, taking the offered hand. "It helps to talk about it, you know."
 
Sesshoumaru sighed. "For the hundredth time, Rin, I know."
 
"Annnnnnnnnd?" Rin asked, dragging out the word.
 
"It was about someone I met long ago..." He replied, voice trailing off.
 
"Who? Did I know him?" Rin pressed, dragging him to two chairs where they could sit. Sesshoumaru chuckled.
 
"It wasn't a 'him', Rin. It was a girl. An InuYoukai, in fact." He said.
 
"What was her name? How did you meet her?" Rin asked, sighing. She had been obsessed with all the mushy romance scrolls that his mother had left behind since she found them on her second expedition through the castle.
 
"Well, I saved her life. A mantis demon was attacking her and it was about to eat her when I killed it. She thanked me and I left." Sesshoumaru responded, dumbing it down from a 400+ year old to a 13 year olds conversational standards.
 
"Oh, that's soooo sweet!" Rin said, clasping her hands on her chest above her heart. "Wait, what about her name?"
 
Sesshoumaru thought for a second. "Her name was... "
 
"Yes?" Rin pressed.
 
"I don't remember." Sesshoumaru sighed lightly. She had said her name in the dream, but it was slipping out of his grasp, just as all dreams did eventually.