InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Of Moonlight & Honor ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Of Moonlight and Honor
Part 3

 

     In the center of the Western Lands, the earth rises up to touch the heavens. The peaks do not match the heights of Fujisan further north, but they possess their own majesty and unique beauty, the rocky cliffs standing in counterpoint to the vast stretches of wooded slopes. In the midst of these mountains, unseen by the majority of humankind, stands the castle of the Taiyoukai of the Western Lands. And, if you look closely, you may see a small opening in the cliffs nearby. From this fissure come sounds not meant for mortal ears: the sounds of a sword shearing rock. The testing ground for the blades Sesshoumaru carried was deep under the earth, in a forest of stalactites and stalagmites. Here was where Sesshoumaru took his rage and attempted to regain his control.

     The Toukijin flashed, slicing a spire from the ceiling of the cave, then again again as it fell, leaving numerous pieces of neatly cut rock lying on the ground. Another column was cut and another.

     How could I have been such a fool? he berated himself.

     Another voice, this one a memory, joined his own. Control, boy! You have no control! Now do it again! How can you possibly imagine that you could ever take over the Western Lands from me? Weak, stupid boy! Perhaps I should adopt a human son--he would be stronger than you!

     I am not weak! "I am the Taiyoukai of the Western Lands, Father!" he snarled as he reduced more stalactites into rubble. "I. . . am. . . not. . . weak! I will not be weak! I control the Western Lands! I control the Tenseiga! I control myself and I control my destiny!"

     True. I have control of my destiny. And I have control of theirs. It would be a simple matter to go her and end this charade finally. It would be nothing more than she deserves for deceiving me. It would be a simple solution. A clean, final ending.

     Sesshoumaru-sama! A childish giggle broke across his thoughts, shattering glass-like to catch his eye with the twinkling shards. Rin. No matter how hard he tried, she was never very far from his thoughts. He could see her as the child she had been--laughing, happy for reasons incomprehensible to him. Making him the center of her universe.

     Sesshoumaru-sama. Several years later, a wide-eyed, tentative young woman had come to him. She traveled alone, sometimes, in those days. Sesshoumaru-sama, I think I've found him.

     Found who?

     I don't want to leave you, Sesshoumaru-sama, but. . . Her eyes had shone with something he couldn't recognize and a small smile curved her lips. I think I've found the man I want to marry. I love him. May I have your blessing? He had given it to her, because she asked him. Every pup had to leave the den, even if it was for reasons the elder couldn't understand.

     Sesshoumaru-sama? Rin glowed when she entered his chambers a year after her marriage. I have something to tell you. . . I am with child. . . She had been so happy, so radiant. . .

     Sesshoumaru shook his head violently. Plans for what to do about the current situation and pictures of Rin bled into one another. The child he had found dead on a forest road became his own may-be son. Phrases of Tsukiyo's first letter brought back the images of a young woman in love, her face filled with hope. And when he contemplating cutting Tsukiyo down with a single sword stroke, it was Rin's despair he saw, Rin's eyes going blank in death. "No!" he barked savagely. "Rin has no part of this decision! It is mine!" The sword stopped, leaving Sesshoumaru breathing heavily in the center of a wide circle of debris. With a deep breath, he once again brought his sword up to guard position. His mind cleared as he began the series of kata his father had taught him centuries ago, moves so ingrained that they may even have been written on his soul. As the sword moved where he willed it, his mind took up another path, going further back into the past.

     What is that? Sesshoumaru peered at the bundle his father carried in his arms. A bundle that seemed to consist primarily of large, golden eyes and even larger white, fuzzy ears. He leaned forward to inspect it, then backed away as the thing gurgled and flailed tiny arms at him.

     This is your brother, Sesshoumaru. His name is Inu-Yasha.

     But. . . Sesshoumaru sniffed again to make sure of what he thought he sensed. But that's a hanyou! You-- You mated with a human?! Sesshoumaru's nose wrinkled in disgust at the thought.

     Yes. His father answered patiently. I certainly neverentertained the idea, but Hanako is. . . different. And Inu-Yasha, his father's face looked both chagrined and incredibly smug, was certainly unexpected.

     So why not just get rid of it? Sesshoumaru asked indifferently. It was no use trying to discern his father's incomprehensible actions.

     His father loomed over him, expression stern. Other reasons aside, he had said, there are two things I have attempted to teach you. Perhaps you should remind yourself of them?

     Sesshoumaru straightened his spine. Head high, he recited, All that I do is do be performed with honor, for a warrior is nothing without honor. Honor is your responsibility to yourself, your dependants, and your duty. Second, the blood tie is sacred above all other ties. To the blood of your blood you owe life, honor, and death. Father? Sesshoumaru relaxed slightly.

     Yes, Sesshoumaru?

     Is that hanyou blood of my blood?

     His father studied his face for long moments and sighed. Perhaps someday, my son, you will understand this. Someday. . .

     Sesshoumaru sheathed his sword and stood up. Do I understand, Father? He asked his dead parent silently. Perhaps. Perhaps not. But it was clear to him what his father would have said if he was alive. Sesshoumaru would take up his duty and his honor and fetch the human woman and their unborn child.

    

--tsuzuku

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
Cultural Notes

 
Fujisan
is Mt. Fuji, near Tokyo (otherwise known is this era as that hick-town, Edo ^_~ )

Looking at a map of Japan, I've decided that the Western Lands are at the southern end of Japan's main island. There is a reason for this, both geographically and plot-wise. But we'll get to that later. Much later.

The way Sesshoumaru is testing his sword is called tameshigiri, though humans tend to use rolls of bamboo matting rather than rocks which would kill the measly 'human' blades.

Kata are the forms used in martial arts. So Sesshoumaru is going through a set pattern of moves.