InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ On a Leash ❯ A Test of Skill ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Inuyasha is not mine. Happy now?

A/N: Well, I'm eventually going to go back and have all the chapters have our favorite hanyou's name spelled Inuyasha, but right now, that would take way too long, so until I can go to my brothers' house (the younger one rents the downstairs apartment from out eldest-I'm the youngest sibling, the only girl), we'll just go with the way I've been using Viz's spelling. Alrighty? So, far, so, good. I think. Still having to pace myself and man-oh-man do I keep hoping this is going to come out the way I want.

Gonna say this once: If it's in dialogue, it supposed to be that way. No one talks perfectly 100% of the time.

Chapter Seventeen: A Test of Skill

Kagome crept down the stairs. She headed for the den, from which she could hear faint voices, probably from the television. She gently rapped on the doorjamb, crossing one foot behind the other. "Hey, Inuyasha. Can I come in?"

"Yeah," he replied, the volume of the TV decreasing. "What's up?"

The girl crossed into the room. Mama had laid a futon on the floor for him, which he was currently sprawled on his belly upon, Tetsusaiga laid next to him. A can of coke sat at arm's reach to his right, and a late night showing of a translated Star Wars movie was flashing on the television screen.

Sitting down on the floor beside the futon, Kagome made herself comfortable before beginning. "Inuyasha, all half-demons have a time of vulnerability, do they not?"

Inuyasha looked at her, mildly surprised and maybe a little annoyed. "Yeah. What of it?" he asked in a closed-sounding voice, turning part of his attention to Luke Skywalker battling against Darth Vader.

"Um…" she droned into silence. The buzzing of the light sabers smacking against each other filled the air as the fight continued. Kagome had watched the Star Wars trilogy a few times-Souta and Miroku were both huge fans, and Sango had a love of writing fan fiction on it-and she found her hands starting to grip an imaginary sword, envisioning some form of opponent she was fighting-

"What of it?"

"Huh?" Kagome peered back at Inuyasha.

"Why do you want to know?"

"Oh," she glimpsed at the floor, "well, I just wanted to know…when…you know…."

"No," he sat up, swinging his body around so his legs were stretched before him and he reclined rearward on his hands, "I don't."

"Well," she folded and unfolded her hands lethargically before saying, "I was wondering if it is-was-possible for you, while you were a dog, to lose your powers?" Kagome peeked up from the floor to Inuyasha. "And maybe…"

The hanyou let out a long exhale, tipping his face to the ceiling. "…Yeah, Kagome, I could lose my hanyou powers. You sensed my youki, didn't you?"

"Mm…mm-hmm." She nodded.

"So, yeah, I guess Kikyou's spell played on my demonic energy and so when there was none, it kind of piddled out."

"Then, only I could take it off because of her warding against you…"

"And because you're a miko, or at least training. You had enough spiritual power." Inuyasha took an askance look at the girl beside him. "What's the point of all this?"

"So, you've transformed while you've been with me, haven't you? When there was no demonic energy, you changed. Am I right?"

Inuyasha gulped. "Um…" He might've been a bit slow on the uptake on a lot of things, but he had a hunch he knew what she wanted to know. He completely turned away from the pointed stare she was giving him. "Just drop it would ya?" he muttered.

Kagome made a sound of bother. "Hey!" She reached over and snagged one of his forelocks, whirling him around to face her with a yelp. "Answer the question," she demanded. "Have you or haven't you?"

He glared at her, but the strength of it died rather quickly. "Y-yeah…."

Kagome's eyes softened, yet she still queried, "Did you follow after me to movies?"

A long pause.

"….Yes."

"Did you call yourself Taisho?"

Another wait.

"…Yes." Inuyasha waited for her to say something more, yet nothing came. The silence began to grate on his already half-frayed nerves and the slightly mortified expression on his fiancée's face didn't help any. "What the hell's with that look? It's not like I could tell you who I really was!"

The girl started at the exclamation, releasing his hair. "I-I know…"

"Then what is it?!"

"I just wanted to make sure you were him."

"Huh?" He quirked an eyebrow.

With a visage that was more recognizable as embarrassment, "I was worried about Taisho…and…since I didn't know why I hadn't seen him…. I was just curious I guess." She smiled. "But it looks like you're right here, Inuyasha."

"Oh…" Former canine scratched behind an ear. "That was it?"

She bobbled her head as she made a sound of concurrence. "Yup. I guess I'll go back to bed. Goodnight, dog boy."

He grunted once. "'Night." Inuyasha watched as Kagome, yawningly, left his temporary bedroom. She really wondered where I was all this time?

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------

Early the next morning, Grampa rapped on the doorjamb of the den. "Get up, Inuyasha!"

The boy woke up in alarm, letting out an extremely undignified yowl. "Geez, old man," he groused, squinting one eye as he tried to shake the ringing from his ears. "You didn't have to shout."

Gramps stood there with his hands tucked behind his back, in his priest's garments once more. "It's time to start your training."

"What training?" Inuyasha, fully awake, got to his feet, taking Tetsusaiga with him.

He peered up at the dog-demon with a stern face. "To teach you how to fight with your sword. Follow me." Gramps whirled on his heel and strode away.

Not knowing what else to do, Inuyasha followed. "Where exactly are you gonna teach me?"

Gramps took a right turn, near 'home base' and the old man's room, and continued down the hall. It was then, as they took a left to follow another corridor that Inuyasha realized he'd never been on this side of the house. The shrine house was still fairly dark, as none of the lights had been turned on, and what light that shone through the windows they passed was faint, almost eerie. Finally, they came to a large room; something in the far reaches of it glowed.

Flipping the switch outside the unknown chamber, Gramps mysteriously said, "In here."

Luminosity flooded the room, revealing to be a small dojo training hall. A few practice swords, bows, and staves hung on racks on the walls. Other than that, the room pretty bare, with the exception of wall of rice paper that separated into two sliding doors, like much of the shrine.

"What the hell…?" Inuyasha stepped in after the old man.

"This is my private training area, Inuyasha." Gramps gaited to the wooden practice swords and took two from the rack. He tossed one to the boy, who caught it with ease. "For now, I want you to use that sword."

Inuyasha gave a quick dip of his head, setting Tetsusaiga to the side. "Whatever."

"I want you to grasp the bottom, which would normally be the hilt and hold it firmly." Gramps demonstrated with the one in his own grasp. "Be careful where you place your thumb. You would lay your left hand beneath your right in the same grip." He waited as the hanyou boy did as instructed. "Now, you are going to use these strokes when swinging your blade," Gramps performed the strokes first, "and keep your feet from getting jumbled or letting yourself get knocked off balance."

"Do we really have to get into all this pomp and circumstance crap?" snipped Inuyasha, growing impatient. "You said you were gonna 'teach' me, Gramps, so get on with it. Any idiot knows how to hold a blade with one hand or with two. And moving ain't a problem for me-I'm half-demon."

Grampa gave an aggravated grunt. "Only an idiot rushes into things half-knowing."

"Well, maybe I already know half of this and you're just showing me the other half I forgot," he retorted. "I'm not learning to play tennis, I'm going to wield a sword, and starting off with this dinky, little wooden practice sword isn't going to be good enough. If I'm really supposed to use Tetsusaiga, taking baby steps right now probably isn't the best idea." Especially since someone's after Tetsusaiga and probably me…

Pacing back and for a moment, Grampa started, "You know that the military taught all members in the armed forces hand-to-hand combat, including bushido.

"Your father personally taught me in his off time how to wield a sword in the style of your family. I practiced it quite a bit, needless to say. That is one reason why your father entrusted me with Tetsusaiga, Inuyasha. He trusted me and wanted me to instruct you. I have been practicing for fifty years, waiting for you to arrive.

"Now it is time to begin."

The hanyou blinked several times. "Whoa, whoa, whoa-you mean to tell me you're going to spar with me, Gramps?"

He took a stance. "My only stipulation is that because you are half-demon, you will have to use as much strength as a human would possess, or else you could really hurt this old man. Your father had to do the same with me in my prime. Now, we are going to see how much you know."

"You're actually serious about this?" he asked, still disbelieving.

"Come, Inuyasha."

"But-"

"This is a test, boy! Now come!" commanded Gramps.

As reluctant as he was to locking wooden swords with Kagome's grandfather, Inuyasha did as he was told. His mother and father must have known what he was supposed to do, even though the thought of having a crucial part of his life planned out was not all that appealing, and right now, he was going to trust their last judgments.

Raising the practice sword above his head, he rushed Gramps-mindful not too use all his strength in his swing-and made a vertical slash at the stationary old man's head. Why isn't he moving? Inuyasha thought as the strike neared his pate. He was about to pull out when the dull thump of wood on wood reach his ears and he was pushed back.

Gramps struck at his side and Inuyasha dove out of the way, tucking into a roll. He was on his feet again, just barely managing to block another strike. Over and over, a pattern like this went, but Inuyasha was eventually able to find some sort of rhythm and tap Gramps on the wrist, his neck, and once his leg-he really didn't want to harm an old fart.

"That's enough, Inuyasha," wheezed the old man. "You have a lot of potential, and sometime during our little match, you became more confident of your skill. Your father showed you once, didn't he?"

"Yeah, he did." He gripped the wood, staring at his bruised knuckles, but feeling a rush of energy through his body and grateful at the mobility he'd been able to execute. "After a while, it started to become second nature to me, again."

"That makes my job much easier." Gramps took Inuyasha's sword, and, along with his own, replaced it on the rack. "Now, let's have some breakfast." He slapped the hanyou boy hard on the back; his eyes widened and he made squeaky noises of pain in the back of his throat. "Eh?"

"You whapped me there eight times with that stick, old man," growled Inuyasha. That's the last time I let you get off easy…

Gramps looked at him for a moment. "Oh, I did, didn't I? Oh well. Just mind the fact you're going to learn from that. It's imperative that you learn."

Tell that to my shoulder blades…Inuyasha thought, stalking after Gramps. He doubled back to snatch Tetsusaiga before shutting off the light. No way was he leaving that thing alone ever again.

When they entered the kitchen, the sun had lazily risen, but tantalizing smells of real food tickled at Inuyasha's nose. Mama was humming over the stove, making a huge stack of flapjacks. "Hello, boys," she greeted with a smile, taking a glass from the cupboard and filling it high with milk. Syrup, orange juice, butter, utensils, plates, and tea were already on the table. "Go ahead and sit down. Kagome and Souta should be down in a bit."

"What're you doing up so early, Mrs. Higurashi?" Inuyasha queried, plopping tiredly into one of the kitchen chairs. He laid Tetsusaiga over his lap.

"I was up for you two, of course." She took the plate of pancakes and set the entire stack in front of Inuyasha. "I figured Grampa would have you up bright and early for some reason or another, so I decided to start breakfast early."

"You made pancakes. Lovely, Sana." Gramps reached over to steal one from the hanyou's stack when his hand was slapped by Mama.

She gave him a glare behind her smile. "Those are for Inuyasha, Grampa," she stated pleasantly, continued to warn him with the look only a woman can give. "You'll get some in a sec."

Gramps moaned, something about 'at this age' and 'starving to death' until he sat at the head of the table.

Turning to the half-demon with another grin, Mama said, "I'm sure you're famished, Inuyasha. Go ahead and eat, dear."

"Th-thanks." The giving heart of Mama never ceased to amaze Inuyasha. He slathered butter between each cake and poured syrup over them all.

Oh, the taste of simple pancakes after eating kibble for so long…

Mama made a short stack for Gramps and eventually sat down with a few for herself. "So, what were you doing, Grampa?"

After swallowing a large mouthful of syrup-soaked flapjack and a gulp of orange juice, he replied, "I was teaching him how to properly swordfight."

"I see. How did it go, Inuyasha?"

Aforementioned boy glanced up from his piggy indulgence. "Wish I'd done better than that," he answered truthfully. "I felt really inept, 'cause I haven't used a sword in a long time…and then I can't use my strength to its fullest…."

Grampa snapped, "That's because you need to have-"

"-the skill in which to channel your strength in the proper direction," Kagome said before yawning as she entered the kitchen. "Is that what you were going to say, Grampa? Oh, pancakes!"

Gramps huffed but didn't say anything.

Shrugging, Kagome took the seat beside Inuyasha. "Good morning, Inuyasha."

"Morning," he managed between slightly ticked off bites of flapjacks. Regardless Kagome had finished the little rant of Gramps, he was insulted-or more ashamed with himself for not recognizing the validity of the statement. Pride was both his strength and his weakness.

"So Gramps is showing you how to swordfight?" Kagome accepted the three pancakes her mother passed to her. "He can be pretty tough when he's trying to show you something. Mind passing the boysenberry?"

Inuyasha handed her the container of syrup, drumming his claws of the tabletop thoughtfully. It was odd, how only yesterday morning, he'd been lying on the floor at Kagome's feet, getting fed the odd scrap from her or Souta's (or even Mama's) plate. Now, here he was, in his natural body, eating breakfast like a person.

He'd had the collar on for so long that it was a little odd to be in this body. Last night, before he'd gone off to bed, Inuyasha had stopped by the downstairs bathroom. It had been very strange indeed to see flows of silver hair again, gold eyes, being able to run his tongue over fangs in a humanoid mouth, his dog ears-he'd leave the tail business to Sesshoumaru--, clawed fingertips-hell, even an opposable thumb was fascinating.

Never having to go back to being a mutt again…

He knew the family probably still had lots of questions about his past, and rightfully so, but Inuyasha was always a private person. His matters were his, but he was steadily beginning to see that the old saying of "your past affects your present and future" was undeniably true. He was no mind reader or psychic, that's for sure, yet he had enough brains in his dog-eared cranium to know that there was no coincidence of Naraku playing some role in his life now; he'd been involved, though indirect to his knowledge.

Naraku had somehow known about the Tetsusaiga and the deed, but that conversation, so fragmented, about him fifty years ago… Why would Naraku want the deed so soon if he knew it wouldn't expire for fifty years?

That question bothered him, along with: And if he wanted the deed, I'm sure Sesshoumaru wouldn't let anyone defile anything of Father's. So he laid in wait…but what for? That bastard Naraku's as greedy as the come, so what more could he want besides the Western Domain? He could've found someway to try and distract Sesshoumaru…or maybe he didn't know where the deed was at the time… There's gotta be something more.

Naraku had obviously thought Kikyou knew something, but whatever information she held, not even Inuyasha knew.

Kikyou was part of his past…and he really didn't want her in his new present or his future with the Higurashis-with Kagome.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------

After breakfast, Gramps said he had to rest his bones a bit and toddled out to attend to any visitors that might venture up.

Basically, he was going to watch a few game shows before nodding off in the recliner.

Inuyasha, in the meantime, had returned to the den to take a closer look at Tetsusaiga. The wrappings of the hilt were battered and rather sad appearing; the blade was nicked in places, it lacked luster, and it was pretty dull-edged, too.

He gave it a swing, hearing it swish through the air. The only thing that seemed to be in good condition was the ebony wooden scabbard. He sighed, "Man, you looked a lot cooler when you transformed, you old hunk of metal. Hmm?" The sound of footsteps approaching reached his ears, making Inuyasha gaze at the doorway.

Souta rounded the corner, Buyo in close company. Judging from the way the cat was yawning, he was ready to nap.

The boy however, still clad in his solid blue pajamas, and smelling strongly of maple syrup, was overjoyed to see Inuyasha. "It really did happen!" he cheered, rushing into the room. "You really do exist!"

"Uh…yeah…" Inuyasha replied, not sure what else to say but that.

"I saw Mama and she said that you're learning to use a sword-does that mean you're going to use Tetsusaiga, Inuyasha?"

"Well, yeah I'm going to wield it, kid. It's my sword."

"And Sis's dowry," he also pointed out.

"That too."

Souta plopped down beside the hanyou, starting some form of idol worship immediately. "You said you wanted to protect us, right, big brother?"

"Uh…" boy that kid jumped on being attached pretty easy, "yeah…. Did I really say that out loud yesterday?" Inuyasha inquired, tucking Tetsusaiga into the scabbard once more.

Souta bobbled his messy-haired head largely. "It was really great!" he went on, missing the look of distress that crossed the hanyou's countenance. "So, you're really going to marry my sister?"

"I guess…" he replied slowly. "You're not tape recording me or something, are you?"

"Nope."

"So, it's not a trick question?"

The boy shook his head. "But you're going to marry her?" Souta repeated enthusiastically, having a problem sitting still.
Inuyasha didn't answer straightaway, only releasing a long breath. "Well, the way I have to look at it is my folks must've known something I didn't." He ran his fingers down the sleek scabbard pensively. "My mom was a mystic after all."

Souta's brown eyes wobbled to an enormous, adoring size. "Really? A real mystic…. Cool."

"Heh." Inuyasha smirked. "It was pretty cool. She could see into the future a bit, a couple different kinds of ESP."

"Like moving stuff with her mind?" Souta asked eagerly.

"Yeah, that and she could read minds and know the feelings and emotions left in an old objects. Not to mention she could create and destroy matter." Inuyasha grinned at the look of whimsy on the youngest Higurashi's face.

"Wow…. Can you do any of that?"

He flopped backwards onto the futon. "Don't know. I never tried." He held up a hand. "I've got these claws, which are pretty useful, but that's not uncommon among demons."

"No, but you're the coolest," insisted Souta. "I'll bet you're really strong and could defeat anyone who wants to get Tetsusaiga. I'm sure Sis thinks so, too."

Inuyasha let his hand drop onto his stomach before looking to the little boy. "Ya think so, kid?" he inquired, almost hopefully. It was the least he could wish for right now; he wasn't sure of his feelings for Kagome exactly, and no doubt she was even less certain.

The life of being a plaything of the gods…

Souta nodded vigorously. "You were a cool dog, and she told me once that she thought she could understand some of what you said to her." He grinned brightly, while Inuyasha paled at the reminder that to Kagome, his name evoked images of a silver-haired husky. "But now you're Sis's fiancé, so you have to be cool, 'cause you found your way here without anyone telling you."

"Yeah… Yeah, I guess I did."

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------

"Again, Inuyasha," Gramps barked, now holding a bamboo sword and swatting slowly at the hanyou's, which was raised above his head. "Good. Now continue to block each strike. You must remember this is a bit like a dance. You should become comfortable enough to recognize certain patterns and transition."

"Sounds easy enough," stated the half-demon, whirling around to parry. After tuckering the poor man out, Inuyasha had decided to at least refresh his skills and go slow, which was really difficult considering he felt ready enough to take down a dragon.

"If you practice hard and nurture your gift, it will be. Your sight, Inuyasha, is multiples better than the average human's, so it should help you greatly when fighting a skilled opponent."

"And if they're hella fast," he avoided a particularly swift series of blows from the old man, "I should be able to dodge them, right?"

"Do not forget defense, no matter what," Gramps repeated for what must've been the thousandth time. "Reach out with your senses and keep yourself alert."

"Got it." Fighting was not something unfamiliar to Inuyasha, and he was feeling more at ease in practice, but he was really itching to wield Tetsusaiga. It had felt so natural holding the blade, and it he wanted that sensation of connectedness again.

Gramps reversed allowing Inuyasha to do play the offensive part and put him on the defensive, though returning to the easy, flowing tempo. "You are at ease with offensive. All I can say is do not let your blows get wild and careful of your temper. I've seen that displayed plenty today."

"Hmph. Can't we go a bit faster?" bemoaned Inuyasha.

The old man thought it over. "You learn quickly. Our first match was probably nowhere near as fast as you would have liked."

"Wouldn't have been fair to overtake you, old man," the boy mumbled when they paused.

"For now, we will continue with this kind of training, but perhaps tomorrow or later tonight you will get a match as you wish." Gramps winked with a crooked grin. "You'll need a training opponent that is youthful enough to keep pace. As your father taught you so much, and you, Inuyasha, have seemed to have retained it so well, all I can do is help you perfect it. I was expecting a much longer and more difficult road to teaching you-I do not think I'll have much more to teach you after a few days if we keep our practices this long."

Inuyasha smirked. "My mother used to say I was too young to learn, but I guess not, huh?"

He shook his head. "Not at all." Gramps straightened up, and backed away; Inuyasha ceased attacking. "My joints are creaking something fierce, rheumatism you know. We're finished for today. Why don't you go and talk to Kagome? I'm sure it would be a good idea for you to get to know your fiancée a little better, now that she knows what you're saying."

Nodding, Inuyasha took Grampa's advice and left the training room to go search for Kagome, feeling very full of himself indeed, especially with Tetsusaiga tied at his left hip with a sash of red cloth he found in the old man's room. He discovered the girl outside, sweeping the shrine's steps. He tramped his way outside, not bothering to put shoes on. "Oi, Kagome," he called as he neared her.

"Hmm?" She turned, bundled in her sapphire coat. She smiled lightly, still brushing away snow. "How'd training with Grandpa go?"

He shrugged, but an arrogant smile spread across his face. "Apparently I'm a gifted swordsman."

"Not surprising," Kagome calmly asserted, looking down at the twenty-odd steps she had left to sweep.

"Why's that?"

"You had potential. Gramps kept saying you did; his voice has a tendency to carry." The girl laughed, a melodious sound. "Even so, it looks like you still have some maturing to do with your skill."

Inuyasha blinked at her, scrunching his nose. "Huh? What do you mean?"

Leaning the broom against the crook of her arm, Kagome reached out and pulled his hands into her, revealing the dark, fat lines of violet across his knuckles and backs of his hands. She inclined her head at them. "You got pretty bad bruises. I bet Gramps doesn't have so many."

The hanyou snorted. "Old fart probably doesn't have any. I went easy on him."

"Oh really?" She giggled.

"Shut up, wench," he retorted. "You don't think I'm some pussy, do you?"

Kagome shook her head. "I never said that, but…if that's what you think of yourself, Inuyasha, that's your business."

"Bitch."

"You know, the more names you call me, the more my thoughts on your IQ dwindle."

Inuyasha snorted again, about to cross his arms, when he realized Kagome was still holding his hands. "Uh…" He flushed.

"Hmm?" She glanced down at her gloved fingers curved gently over his long, clawed ones. More pink poured into her cheeks, making her already chilly cheeks ruddy. "S-sorry."

"Yeah, well, uh…" Inuyasha intelligently spluttered as Kagome languidly released his hands. Being coy never was his strong suit, and with Kagome it was doubly hard. Inuyasha was a straightforward guy, but the problem was, he didn't what he should be upfront about. "Well," he managed, "I'll be able to join you for dinner tonight, huh?"

Kagome smiled. "Yeah, you will. By the way, where'd you get the clothes? You really look like a bullfighter now with the sword at your side."

"Funny." Inuyasha crossed his arms across his chest. "My brother Sesshoumaru provided them for me. Buyo got me the clothes I wore to the movies."

She blinked, the latter statement taking precedence. "Buyo? My Buyo? My big, fat, cuddly, chub-a-wub cat?"

Sniggering, "Yeah. He's actually pretty resourceful."

"So where'd he get them?"

Inuyasha's laughing died. "Well…they were your dad's…"

Glancing down, Kagome murmured, "Oh."

"It was Buyo's idea, so don't blame me," he said hurriedly. "I didn't think your mom wanted to find me in the nude wandering around your bedroom."

She shook her head, foregoing that image. "No, it's not that. I'm sure my father would have been glad to know that someone got a use out of his clothing. I wanted to know why you followed after me that night." She turned to him, allowing gold and cobalt to mix together. "You know, when I went to the movies with Houjou."

Inuyasha stuttered for an excuse. "I-I didn't want to see you with that kid…Houjou. It bothered me. He was weak, how would he be able to defend you with those scrawny arms of his?"

Kagome rolled her eyes. "Be honest."

"I told you; I didn't want you to fall for some guy that couldn't protect you. It wouldn't have been safe, you twit."

Having spent time with him as Taisho, the insults' effects were numbed especially since he never denied the obvious. "You were jealous…" she whispered.

"I was NOT jealous!" shouted Inuyasha. "Got it?!" His ears were feeling rather hot right now….

"Yes, you were!" Kagome poked him in the chest, narrowing her eyes in annoyance.

He took the jab and leaned forward at her. "No, I wasn't! I told you-"

"Then why'd you bite Kouga at the vet's office and pee on him the other time, huh?" She placed a hand on her hip, challenging him to challenge her as they stood about two feet apart.

"Because he's a sneaky wolf, that's why!" His arms moved out to the sides and his fingers curled into fists. "Gods, shouldn't it be obvious to you, or aren't you bright enough to know that wolves are ruthless?" He stared down the bridge of his nose at her, their shared gaze remaining unwavering.

"He just likes me, Inuyasha," she reasoned calmly. "Why does that bother you so much? It doesn't mean I automatically like him that way back."

Inuyasha grunted, finally breaking their connection. "Forget this, this is stupid," he assessed, crossing his arms, hands still in fists.

Kagome made a little growl of frustration prior to turning away from also. "You're so immature, Inuyasha."

"Keh."

Geez, she thought, giving an askance glance when he happened to be looking to her also before diverting her eyes again, still in unison with him, would it kill you just to admit that you're jealous?

I always felt a weird connection to you, Kagome and now… Inuyasha muttered to himself, nowhere loud enough for Kagome to hear him, "You're my fiancée…."

It's not like I even like Houjou or Kouga all that much, Kagome huffed quietly. Besides…

The wind was still, as were they and their words, but even so, it felt as if things were rushing by the pair.

"You know," she began softly, now peering out over the bustling Tokyo below, "you're my fiancé. I always thought it was either going to be really ridiculous, or really awful but…it's not so bad, to be honest. I mean, I didn't expect you to first be my dog."

Taken aback, Inuyasha looked to her, seeing her feathery black hair fluttering in the wind, while he remained mute for a spell. "Wish I could say I don't feel any different, being engaged and everything, but I wasn't raised knowing I was betrothed to someone who hadn't been born yet. I'm me, but with some kind of duty now."

"Yeah," she laughed, absently moving the straw bristles of the broom across the snow. "I was kind of scared of having to marry some old guy."

Inuyasha chuckled a bit at that himself. "I had no opinion or choice on this, but you didn't either." He shoved a hand in the pocket of his pants, feeling the scabbard of Tetsusaiga brush against his hand, still slightly pulsing with warm energy. "Not exactly how I imagined my life to run. Then again, transfiguring into a dog wasn't in the plan either."

"That's what makes life, life," Kagome said, moving her gaze to him. "Neither of us planned it, and neither of us knows what's ahead. So, even though my grandfather and your parents decided it, we still can choose what we make of our lives. Destiny or not, we still have free will, Inuyasha."

Inuyasha nodded deeply. Here stood a pretty young girl not much younger than he, and it reminded him of a few things--things that would have to be dealt with, things for her safety…for her verve, to which he'd grown so fond. "I guess we'll just have to see what comes and face it."

Kagome smiled. "Together."

"Yeah…together." He scratched the nape of his neck with his free hand. "And, ah, well, didn't mean for you to see all that last night." Another flood of warmth went to his face. "Just kind of how it always happens when changing…"

"Apology accepted," Kagome laughed gently; he was glad she wasn't going to hold it against him. "I'm glad you're back to your normal self. That's what matters."

"You don't have a dog anymore," Inuyasha pointed out lightheartedly.

"No, but…now I've got you." She smiled at him again and this time, he truthfully smiled back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hey! Finished this and...as the story has more plot twists, the more befuddled my brain gets. Gotta kind of laugh it off. It usually straightens out: "Be like licorice, and story shall be on the right path." Ok, hokey, but I kind of felt like it. Like I've said before, please read and review each chapter separately that way I can look at questions or concerns you had for each chapter and know without trying to sort through questions that bounce through the story's time frame. As you can tell, I've changed all the names to their 'proper' status.

~Moonlight Shadow