InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ On a Wing & a Prayer ❯ Lord Kurai & Kyoko's Suspicion ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

On a Wing & a Prayer

Part XV: Lord Kurai & Kyoko's Suspicions

A green, ogre-like demon darted through the dark forest. The demon who had attacked Gina. On his face was a large scowl. The princess is mine, he thought cynically. The demon skidded to a stop when he came upon a creature dressed in a baboon hide. "Ah…Lord Naraku…I've looked for you for a while," he said, changing into a human form. Naraku turned to him, lifting his hood.

"Ah, Lord Kurai, I've been awaiting you for some time. I would have thought with your demonic qualities that you would have found me faster," Naraku said. Kurai smirked a bit. "Yes, well, I couldn't help but gaze upon my beloved tennyo and her new beau," he said. Kurai snickered a bit. "I can't wait to have her," he said dreamily. Naraku gave a heavy sigh. "Of course. I agreed to have you pose as dear Lord Kagewaki's younger brother and enchanted your people to believe so. Under this guise, you could be married to the Lady Gina and then give back the jewel fragments you stole from me," he said.

Kurai licked his lips. "Ah, such lustrous beauty, yet such amazing power. And I'll get to take my revenge on Sesshomaru for marring my perfect face and wounding my shoulder," he said, indicating a large scar on his face and a wound on his shoulder, "And then trying to take away my lovely tennyo. The audacity."

Naraku handed him a large, glowing white orb. "I supposed you wanted this," he said. "Ah, yes!" Kurai exclaimed gleefully. Her gripped the jewel with both hands, and in an instant, the image of a sleeping Gina tucked in Sesshomaru's arm, appeared. "So peaceful, so alluring…the only problem with it is Sesshomaru in my place," he said to himself. Kurai gave a slight growl, handing the silvery orb back to Naraku. "I'll have my tennyo, and when I do, you'll have this," he said, holding out a large jewel shard.

Naraku gave Kurai a final growl. "You better keep your end of the bargain, Kurai," he hissed. The other young lord gave a simple scoff. "Of course. I would do anything to get my hands on that heavenly maiden."

*******

Sesshomaru sighed a little as he watched Gina sleep in his arms, snoring lightly. He had insisted on staying with her, though even he didn't know why. A slight smile crossed his face and his shut his eyes. Ah, Gina…you have no idea how much I care about you, he thought. He gently ran a few fingers down her face. He pulled away as she stirred. Gina cuddled up even closer to him, a slight smile crossing her face. "Mmmm…Sessho…maru…" she mumbled in her sleep.

His face contorted a bit. She's…d-dreaming about me? he thought. Without even thinking, he leaned over and planted a small kiss on her lips. When he began to move away, her eyes opened. "Sesshomaru…how long have I been asleep?" she asked gently. "Only about a half an hour," he replied simply. Gina furrowed her brow.

"Earlier…did you feel like someone…or something was watching us?" she asked. Sesshomaru sat up. "Do you mean when you were asking if everything was alright?" he asked in turn. Gina nodded a little. "Yeah. I felt like there was some kind of dark energy around us," she replied. She chewed on a fingernail for a moment, then looked up at him. "You did feel something in the air, didn't you?" she asked. Sesshomaru didn't want to worry her, but he also, for some strange reason, wanted her to know the truth. "Yes. It was fleeting…but I didn't want to risk you," he said coldly. Gina didn't answer, but shifted over, cuddling against him.

Sesshomaru slid his arm around her as she shut her eyes again. "Sesshomaru," she whispered, "You don't have to worry…I'm right here…and I'll never leave you, because…I love you, with all my heart."

Little did the blissful couple know, but they were being listened to, by none other than Kyoko. She gave a light sigh, her head hung in a mix of anticipation and sadness. I just hope that she doesn't do him like Chidori did…