InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ On That Day ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

Author's Note: This fic was written for the April Drabble Contest, and is also the first fic I'm posting on MediaMiner. I hope it at least qualifies, as I haven't tried to do one before. And restricting the story to 500 words was so hard. I tend to ramble in my stories, and I almost screamed when I was trying to condense it down. I really like it though. Hopefully you will, too. Ok, well, enjoy! And review if you want!
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha, unfortunately. I was thinking about getting a puppy, though....
 
OoooOoooO
 
Kagome sighs.
 
The schoolgirl had come home a few hours ago, to celebrate her birthday with her family--the only damper on her mood being the very irritated hanyou who had yelled at her for leaving, then promptly refused to say goodbye before she jumped into the well.
 
Stupid Inuyasha..... I had just planned on staying for the evening, but you had to go and act like a jerk...
 
The miko rolls her eyes at the hanyou she had left in the past. Kagome didn't understand why he had been so upset. The boy didn't usually throw a tantrum like that simply because she wanted to come home--especially since it was only for a few hours.
 
But she couldn't figure out what was bothering him, and--because of Inuyasha's idiocy-- Kagome decided that she wasn't going to return until he came for her, determined to have as much fun as possible in the mean time.
 
The problem was, Kagome wasn't enjoying herself as much as she thought. For some reason she felt out of place, now that she was back on this side of the well.
 
I'm just being silly... This is where I belong. Just because I got into an argument with the girls when they took me to dinner....and have pretty much ignored Sota and Gramps since I came back.....and I forgot the package Mom asked me to pick up.... That doesn't mean...
 
Kagome suddenly bolts upright, a gasp leaving her lips.
 
I am such an idiot.... the miko thinks, jumping off her bed and smacking right into a certain hanyou.
 
“Oof!”
 
“Are you ok?”
 
Kagome nods as Inuyasha pulls the girl to her feet. She rubs her sore nose, then glances up at the boy.
 
“I...”
 
“I'm sorry, Kagome.”
 
The girl blinks, sure she hadn't heard him correctly. “What?”
 
Inuyasha fidgets in place. “For....earlier,” he mumbles, dropping his golden eyes to the floor as a blush crosses his cheeks.
 
The miko continues to stare. She was the one who should have been apologizing, not Inuyasha.
 
“Why are you sorry?” she asks, almost angry. “I'm the one who forgot. Mom asked me to come back today, and I... I...”
 
Inuyasha slowly raises his gaze to the girl's when she stops, seeing Kagome's dark eyes filling with tears.
 
“I'm sorry, Inuyasha. I feel like I've known you for so long.... I didn't realize that today.....”
 
The girl utters a quiet gasp when a pair of strong arms wraps around her.
 
“It's alright, Kagome. I.....”
 
“No, Inuyasha. I shouldn't have forgotten. That day was the best.....”
 
The girl stops again, burying her face against the boy as she blushes scarlet. Inuyasha smirks.
 
“I know what you mean.”
 
Kagome finds herself smiling as she tightens her arms on the half-demon. She didn't feel lost anymore; not with Inuyasha there.
 
On the contrary, she felt quite at home.