InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ On Vacation ❯ Where There's a Problem, There's a Solution ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~*~*~*~*~*

Disclaimer: The series Inu-Yasha does not belong to me. I wish it did, but then again, Rumiko Takahashi is great and I love to read her manga and watch the anime. So, maybe I don't. But I love the storyline and all the characters, except Kikyo and Naraku. Viz, Shonen Sunday/Shogukan, Ocean Productions, and any other place that contributes to or distributes Inu-Yasha, besides Rumiko Takahashi, are the true owners. Ok, here I go!

Chapter 1: Where's There's a Problem, There's a Solution

Musashi was rather peaceful, basking in the after glow of the Feudal sun. Fiery autumn leaves fluttered about the small village, some settling about the five-hundred-year-old Goshinboku. Assortments of songbirds chirped cheerily as they flew about in the cooling, yet still warm, currents of wind. Alas and alack, though, the people of Lady Kaede's village weren't at such ease.

"Grr! I still don't know why in all the hells you're so pissed off!"

"And I don't get why you're so inconsiderate as to go through my backpack without even asking!"

Unfortunately, that was the stronger noise that serenaded the villagers and the quarrelling two's companions.

Shippo peeked out of Lady Kaede's hut to see how it was fairing. Inu-Yasha and Kagome were at the small field that lay before Inu-Yasha's Forest. They both bore the same expressions: annoyance, stubbornness, and complete and utter fatigue. Even from this far off, the fox-cub could easily see that they were going to go full out if they didn't take a break.

"If you were hungry, you should've just said something!" Kagome yelled in exasperation, making a loud, irritated sigh. "Ugh! You don't have to be such a snoop, Inu-Yasha!"

"What?! What do you mean, 'snoop'?! I have every right to search your backpack at my leisure!" he shot back; his amber eyes squinted into slits as he glared at her. "Not like you have anything worth looking at anyway."

Shippo scrunched his eyes shut as he heard the familiar command.

"SIT!"

And also the familiar thud that followed.

He quickly brought his head back into the hut and shook it with an unwavering rhythm.

"Is it really that bad?" Sango asked, giving a half-smile that begged for some good news so it could become a full one.

It faded away completely as Shippo replied, "No. If anything, one of them is going to have some serious blood lust today."

Lady Kaede shook her head, her mouth caught in a straight line of understanding on the wrinkled face. "Aye, those two are really at it today. They are much more calm with each other than when they began the journey-"

THUD!

"--yet, they have been squabbling more than ever." Lady Kaede strained her acting skills as she pretended not to notice the sound of Inu-Yasha's body meeting the ground. A few strings of curses followed and wafted into the silence of the hut.

"Well," Miroku began, running a finger down his staff, "both Inu-Yasha and-"

THUD! THUD!

"-Lady Kagome have been going nonstop. Sango and myself have had more rest than them, I suppose." His fingers clenched onto his staff at each of the thuds, feeling some kindred spirit bond with his hanyou friend. If only he could learn some suavity….

Sango nodded her head, cringing as she heard more cuss words spewed than sand on the shore. Or a better comparison would be more cuss words than dust on the ground…. "Especially since they have to contend with not only Naraku like the rest of us but-"

THUD! WHAM!

Sounds like Kagome hit him over the head with something. "-they also have had to deal with this whole stupid Kikyo situation."

Shippo frowned. "I don't get it. Inu-Yasha should've realized by now that Kagome's much more important. For one thing, she isn't always trying to-"

THUD! WHAM! WHAM! THUD!

A short cussing spree followed before Shippo half-heartedly finished with a sweat drop, "-kill him."

Silence from the foursome in the hut followed, even though the bickering outside still hadn't ceased.

Sango sighed after about four or five more minutes of noises, complete with mental images. "They need a break. A vacation."

Miroku's head lifted from his chest, snapping out of his meditation. A vacation…. He stood up. "Lady Sango, you are brilliant." He flashed a bright smile at her.

She raised a suspicious eyebrow at him. "What do you want, monk?"

He waved his hand at her. "Nothing at the moment. Lady Kaede, a word with you, please."

"Of course," the old woman said as she got up, setting her mortar and pestle down, following the young Buddhist monk into the back room.

Shippo glanced over to the demon exterminator who was stroking Kirara. "What do you suppose Miroku means?"

"In which way: as in the discussion he's having with Lady Kaede or what he'll want later?"

"Ugh! That's it!" Kagome flopped onto a log. "I can't take this anymore!"

Inu-Yasha removed his face from the ground, dust still settling. "You can't take it anymore! You didn't just go through roughly nineteen 'sit' commands! Fuck, I'm even lucky if I can even prop myself up on my elbows!"

"SIT!"

WHAM!

As Inu-Yasha dutifully splat to the ground again, the girl gave him a sardonic grin while she casually said, "Now you can make it an even twenty." Kagome sighed, rubbing a hand over her eyes as she got up. "I'm going home…."

"Fine! Go home!" Inu-Yasha hollered from the ground, to her retreating back. "I don't give a damn!"

Kagome froze as she felt something tug inside of her, and tears forming in her eyes. She stormed off, fists clenched tightly at her sides, refusing to let him see her in such a state. "You big, stupid, half-demon jerk!"

The hanyou blinked as he peeled himself off the ground and rose stiffly to his feet. "What's her problem? Oh, well, at least she didn't sit me again…." He grimaced as he shook his body out, which was more than slightly painful. "Sheesh, what a mental case," he mumbled, as he ran into the forest named after him, ablaze with color, going in the opposite direction of the girl. "She didn't have to get so defensive about her stupid bag."

As Kagome was tearfully, as well as irritated, stomped her way to the Bone-Eaters Well, she met up with Sango.

"Hi, Kagome…." Sango fiddled with the strap on Hiraigotsu. "I heard the fight between you and Inu-Yasha."

"Who didn't?" the raven-haired girl asked resignedly. "He's such a jerk."

Sango patted her friend's shoulder as they reached the side of the well and sat on the lip of it. "Don't worry. He's a guy. A half-demon, but still he's a guy." Kirara jumped into her lap. "Be glad he isn't like that lecherous monk."

Kagome smiled slightly as she rolled her eyes. "Yeah, but you like Lord Miroku after all."

At that, the demon exterminator flushed, absently stroking Kirara. "I-I do not like that pervert!" She gave the small cat-demon a tiny squeeze, to which she protested with a short mew.

Kagome smiled one of her cheerful, all-knowing, matchmaker smiles. "Uh- huh, sure, Sango. Like I really believe that."

The girl choked back her words as she spluttered and flushed more. "H-hey! Well, what about you and Inu-Yasha, hmm?"

Kagome's smile faltered and her eyes wandered about, resting for a moment on the very-much-deflated yellow backpack slung over her shoulder. "I don't care. Inu-Yasha is Inu-Yasha…. He's Kikyo's. He always goes back to her." She turned her grey eyes to the ground and sighed. That's right…. He'll always be Kikyo's…. And me…

"Kagome…." Sango murmured in a caring, almost sisterly voice as Kirara moved to the other girl's lap and nuzzled and licked her chin. "You know that's not true."

She kicked some of the autumnal leaves around with her foot. "I…I'm just his shard detector…." She stroked the cat-demon, who mewed loudly and shook her white and black head.
"You are not! Inu-Yasha's saved you countless times! He cares so much more deeply for you than he's willing to admit! He's scared…."
Kagome shook her head slightly; inside knowing what Sango said made sense and was pretty accurate. "What am I rambling all this stuff for? Forget it, Sango." She tilted her head as she smiled reassuringly at her. "I'm sorry I even said anything…. But I'm still mad at him. He could at least be more considerate about asking to go through my backpack."

Sango nodded, laughing a little. "It's to be expected."

Inu-Yasha angrily came to a skidding halt when he reached the edge of the village. "Stupid girl…. Why does she have to take everything as a personal offense?"

"You shouldn't be speaking, Inu-Yasha," Miroku pointed out as he came up to the scowling hanyou.

"Feh. I'm not some over-filled emotional reservoir." He crossed his arms and tossed his nose in the air, knowing full well his eyes weren't displaying the same tone as in his voice.

"Oh, ho? You're not? Then why do you get so jealous when Lady Kagome is in Kouga's company?"

A twinge of envy panged in the dog-demon's heart. "She could do better than him!" he sounded, whipping his head around to face the gently grinning monk.

"So you are jealous? Ah, it is to be expected…. Perhaps the saying is true then: stupidity is truly boundless."

Inu-Yasha growled, realizing he'd been played like the wild card in a game of poker; Miroku had just laid down a royal flush, all hearts, and he was the joker in the mix. "Step off. I'm not jealous over her. I'm just saying she could do better. Hell, a rock is better than that wimpy wolf."

Miroku sighed as he shook his head, which pissed off the demon more. "I am saying you have nothing to worry about when it comes to Lady Kagome…. You do so love denial-"

"Miroku! Inu-Yasha!" Shippo yelled, running towards them from the forest.

"What is it, brat?" the dog-demon asked, staring quizzically down at the kid.

"It's Kagome!" he panted. "Naraku's after her!"

Naraku! Inu-Yasha took off, sniffing the air for Kagome's scent, Shippo riding on Miroku's shoulder. "Are you sure it was Naraku?!" he inquired swiftly, eyes darting around anxiously.

"I think it might've been a kugutsu, but I could be wrong. She's over at the well."

The hanyou and the monk both increased their speed. Upon reaching the Bone-Eaters Well, they slid to a halt.

"Where is he?!" Inu-Yasha snarled, his eyes apprehensively searching the fiery monochromatic color scheme carpeted beneath his feet and in the trees that contrasted against the cerulean sky.

The two looked up at him, still seated on the lip of the well.

"Who?" Kagome asked, still caressing Kirara's white and black fur.

"Naraku!"

"Well, we don't know at the moment, do we?"

Inu-Yasha gawked at her, his nose now about touching hers. Slowly, he swiveled his head to glare at the fox-demon perched on the monk's shoulder. "What are you pulling, fox?" He felt a prickle on the back of his neck.

He dove behind the young Buddhist monk's head. "N-nothing! I'm just doing as I was told."

"He speaks the truth, Inu-Yasha," Lady Kaede said, emerging from behind a tree and standing beside Miroku.

Sango rose and stood next to the old lady priestess. "He is."
Kagome and Inu-Yasha exchanged befuddled glances.

Miroku walked over to them. "You two have been working the hardest, and so you deserve a rest." He continued speaking before either could get a word in edgewise. "Further more, on behalf of myself, Sango, and Lady Kaede, we are very sorry. "

"Huh? Wha?" the startled pair said as the monk pushed both of them back into the well, tipping them over the edge simultaneously.

"Have a nice trip you two!" he shouted down as they began to mesh through the fabric of time.

"Miroku, you bastard, I'm going to kick your-" Inu-Yasha was cut off as he and Kagome disappeared.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A/N: Hey, everyone! This is another story I thought up. Yes, I know, first chapter is short. I'm still working on "The Mysterious Little Visitor" but I've been meaning to work on this one too a bit. *thinks* ok, I have a lot I'm meaning to work on…. Anyways, this is the basic first author's note, except I have an exclusive interview with everyone's favorite houshi, Miroku!

Miroku: *bows his head* I am honored to be here.

Thanks for coming on such short notice. Now, Miroku, why shove Kagome and Inu-Yasha in the well?

Miroku: *hand begins to wander* I merely believed they need some time to cool off.

*swats his hand away* I see. Any other comments?

Miroku: Not many. But I have a question.

No, I will not bear your child…. Ok, enough with trying to touch me! I'll beat the snot out of you! Better yet…Sango!

Sango: *sees Miroku and narrows her eyes*

*steps out and pulls down the extremely convenient black curtain* Due to problems within in my control, this concludes my author's note.

*screen ripples as banging and brawling continues*

What a violent chapter….

Anyway, see ya later!

~Moonlight Shadow

Japanese used:

kugutsu: (if my memory serves me well) puppet/golem

hanyou: half-demon/half-breed/half-youkai

youkai: (basically) a demon

houshi-Buddhist monk

P.S. E-mail me at: hanyou_miko_dreamer@hotmail.com I love comments and reviews! ^^