InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ On Vacation ❯ Surprises Beyond the Well ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2: Surprises Beyond the Well

Inu-Yasha and Kagome landed at the bottom of the Bone-Eaters Well-actually, to be technical, Inu-Yasha landed on the bottom of the well and Kagome fell on top of him. The two groaned as they separated and sat on their own plot of dirt in the darkness.

"What the fuck does he think he's doing?!" the annoyed demon growled, though his usual bark was lacking.

The girl dusted off her green skirt and sighed. "I don't know, but it's not very funny." She felt around with her hands next to her. "Hmm…ah! There it is!"

"What?"

"My backpack."

Inu-Yasha pointed a finger at where he figured she was. "It's all that stupid backpack's fault!"

"Huh?" her confused voice replied through the well's blackness.

"Yeah, you heard me! It's because of that stupid thing that we got into an argument!"

"It is not! It's because you can't just say 'please' like a normal person!" Kagome slung the bag over her shoulder again.

"Tch. I'm a demon. I don't know where it says I have to have manners." He crossed his arms. Why can I barely see her?

"Whatever. Anyway, how's about we get out of the well? This place is starting to get a little drafty." She rubbed a hand over her opposite arm.

With a bit of a sneering tone, he snorted, "Feh, fine, you weak human." He crouched down. "Climb on and I'll jump us out."

Presuming which shadow was his outline, Kagome was able to mount the hanyou's back, making sure her pack was secure, and was about to flick one of his ears for being a jerk, when he leapt into the air.

Sorry to say, but, Inu-Yasha didn't make it much further than a fifth of the way, if even that. The pair came crashing back down, Kagome on top again.

She groaned, staring incredulously down through the dark at the back of Inu-Yasha's head. "What's wrong, Inu-Yasha? Surely you aren't getting that feeble in your old age."

He snorted as he pushed her off, making her slide onto her rear. "Shut up…. Huh?"

The girl could tell he was patting his face or something. "What is it?"

"Nothing," he snapped, his hands not ceasing their hasty, blind search.

Kagome shook her head, desperately wishing for a long, hot shower, feeling her way to the rope ladder her family had thrown for her into the Bone-Eaters Well. She gave it a tug, to make sure it was still secure, and proceeded to scale up. She stopped and turned to her Feudal companion, peering into the shadows. "Well, are you coming or what?"

"I'm staying here!" Inu-Yasha gruffly yelled up through the darkness.

Before she resumed her climb with a shrug, she noticed something. Inu-Yasha's youki…it's gone! He's…. The girl's shocked realization hit as she inquired, which came out more as a statement, "You've gone human?! How?!"

"Huh? How'd you figure that?" his dumbfounded voice wafted up.

"Because your demon aura is gone."

"Keh."

She jumped down again. "Come on, Inu-Yasha. Don't be difficult. It's obvious we can't get back to the Feudal period. They probably set up a barrier or something. That'd explain why you're human."

He angrily sighed. "Fine." The boy searched sightlessly until he was sure he found her hand and, using her as leverage, stood up. Her hands are soft…softer and smoother than anything I've ever felt, and so warm…so full of life and loving-kindness….

She led him by the hand, the other patting the cold stones over to the ladder, and they both ascended. When they both set their feet on the other side of the well, Kagome brought Inu-Yasha, once again by the hand, to one of the taper candles and looked him over.

She was right.

His hair had changed from the moonlit silver to a deep, jet black; his normally amber orbs were now an equally expressive violet; and his claws, fangs, and cute, furry dog-ears were replaced by human traits. He would've seemed totally serene, framed by the candlelight, shadows making deep contrasts in the valleys of his features, if he hadn't been scowling quite so noticeably.

Inu-Yasha realized his appearance, but for some reason, he felt his frown gradually slipping off his countenance. He kept gazing into Kagome's large, beautiful, grey eyes; framed by thick, dark lashes as the blustery wind that whooshed through the window blew her raven hair dancing about her face.

She has such a kind and gentle heart, and it shines through. It's like her inner beauty is breathed out into her physical appearance. Inu-Yasha shook his head, doing his best to hide his slight blush. His heart hammered in his chest, he was wondering if she could hear, because he sure could. Why was he being so…nervous around her? It was Kagome. No big deal…right? "So, what do we do?" he inquired, forcing his normal gruffness over his minute stutter.

"Um…. I'm not sure." She didn't notice the wavering in the boy's tone. "But I think we should go inside and eat, or we're going to get really cold and hungry."

He grunted his concurrence and started his way ahead of her through the sliding doors of the mini-shrine, the sky now growing dusky, and a good layer of autumnal leaves covering the ground. The breeze still moved gently.

Kagome shut the doors and trotted up behind him. "Hey, Inu-Yasha, stop for a sec. I think I see a clue."

Peering at her wonderingly for a moment, he ceased walking. "What'd you find?" He felt her lift his long hair off the back of his neck. He felt the chilly wind hit his sensitive skin and he shivered slightly.

"It's a sutra," she informed from behind him. "It says:

To seal the power of the one who runs,

The one who protects,

The one who loves.

To stow away the greater power as it is on the new moon.

One month from now, it shall be removed

That night's new moon.

"It sounds more like a poem than a spell. It must be custom made for you, Inu-Yasha." She stepped around in front of him, a pensive smile on her lips.

"Grr! I bet it was that old hag who put the spell on when I was talking to that damned fox and perverted monk!" He clenched his fists, and immediately his left hand clasped Tetsusaiga's scabbard, belted at his left hip. "Why the hell would they do this for?!"

"Well, remember what Miroku said? That we needed a vacation?" Kagome moved beside him as they continued walking, explaining her theory. "Maybe this is what they meant." She pinked a bit over the bridge of her nose, linking her index fingers together as she glanced down bashfully. "Apparently, you're stuck here with me for a month, Inu-Yasha."

"Remind me when we get back to hurt them," he grumbled.

The girl looked at him, seemingly a little hurt. Her cobalt eyes appeared as if they were going to well up with tears in a moment, and her face was crestfallen. "Staying with me won't be that bad, will it?"

He shifted his gaze to see her and quickly amended, "No, no. It's not that. I just hate the fact that they tricked us."

She nodded. "Ok then," she replied, sounding much more cheerful.

The two continued making the short trek to the Higurashi house, not saying anything verbally, but saying much more by each other's company. The wind was blowing colder. Upon entering, the two were greeted, not only by the warm air circulating about, but also Sota, who'd been in the living room playing with Buyo the cat.

"Sis!" he cried, jumping up, to which Buyo fell off with a flop to the floor.

"Hey, Sota," she greeted, a bright smile on her face.

He ran up and hugged her. "Wow! You're back! You've been gone for a long time, Kagome."

"Hehe, I know. But it looks like I'm getting a month vacation. So is Inu-Yasha." She grinned happily still.

"Really?" Sota peeked around his sister to see the tall boy with long, midnight black hair, in a scarlet kimono, and a sword belted at his side, glancing around the room almost nervously.

"Uh, hey…." In a flash, Inu-Yasha found the child clutching onto his waist, greeting him like an old, dearly missed, friend. A quiet smile crept across his lips. He gave a slight chuckle.

"Wow!" The boy stepped back and looked at the former demon carefully. "Inu-Yasha…what happened to you?"

"Eh, well…." He gave a quick look over at Kagome seated on the couch, and she nodded for him to continue. He gave his head a slight scratch before he began, thinking of how to phrase it. "Well--er--in the life of every half-demon, like me-uh--there comes a time when the power from the demonic half of their blood ebbs away, rendering them mere mortal. Miroku--you know who he is right?" he waited as the kid bobbed his head, listening intently complete with absolute adoring eyes. "Well-uh-he-um--used a sutra on me. Sutras, o-fudas, and all forms of written spells and such used for purification just-well--purify me of my demon blood and make me full human rather than killing me…. " He took in a deep breath. "Did you understand any of that?"

Sota nodded vigorously, it wouldn't have been too much of a wonder to Inu-Yasha if the kid's head fell right off his neck. "Yup."

"Hmm…. Pretty bright."

"But where is the sutra? I can't see it."

Kagome spoke up. "I don't know if there's such a thing as a time releasing sutra, but the one Miroku and Lady Kaede made for Inu-Yasha says it'll stay put for a month. I tried to see if I could move it any and it won't budge. It's underneath his hair." She walked over to the two boys and lifted Inu-Yasha's hair off the nape of his neck. "See?"

"Yeah!"

She let his hair drop as Mama and Grandpa came into the room.

"Kagome!" her mother happily exclaimed, rushing over to embrace her rarely seen daughter. "Oh, sweetheart, how are you?"

"Oh, I'm good." She grinned, hugging her mother back.

As Mama nodded, she spied Inu-Yasha. "My dear…you're human." She blinked a few times in surprise.

"Uh, yeah…" he answered quietly, not knowing what else he could say.

Grandpa gaped at the former dog-demon, circling about him. "Hmm…. Hmm…."

Getting a little annoyed with the old geezer, he piped up, "What exactly are you hmm-hmming about?"

"Ah-hah! Wouldn't you like to know!" With a strangely, semi-evil laugh, Grandpa left, giving Kagome a quick hug.

The group stood there, a little confused.

"Grandpa has serious problems, huh, Sis?" Sota said, looking up at his sister.

She nodded, her face not at all phased, more like she expected it. "Yeah. At least some things don't change."

Mama was busily fussing over the two teenagers. "Oh my! You two look so tired! You both have horrible dark circles under your eyes. Let's sit down to dinner and then we'll talk about what to do with our extra person while he stays here." She bustled them to the dining room--the food, nice and warm, already set on the table.

Mama and Sota sat on one side, and Kagome and Inu-Yasha sat on the side opposite. Grandpa, for the moment, was nowhere to be found. The original two seekers of the Sacred Jewel were completely starved, but ate their portions slowly. Inu-Yasha was actually using very good manners, very polite and courteous.

Wish he'd act more like that…. Kagome thought, watching as the boy carefully, and with much practiced ease, get a fair amount of rice and chicken to his mouth; not even a grain spilled. Still, it's rather odd that he's so well behaved. After all, he didn't exactly get invited into fine places, I suppose…. Her face saddened a bit. That's really not a fair thing, excluding him just because he's half-demon. It's not like he asked to be it, did he? Some people are too superficial and prejudice.

"Have you had enough, Inu-Yasha?" asked Mama with a smile.

With a nod, and quiet voice, appearing a little startled, Inu-Yasha responded, "Ah, mm, yes, Ma'am. It was all very good." He gave an anxious bow from his position on his knees. "Thank you." He peered down over his nose, blushing a tiny bit.

That definitely wasn't the way he'd greeted Kagome's family when he came for her the first time. Even now, he still felt a little funny, especially since he'd interrupted their dinner.

She bobbed her head and smiled in return. "Well, all right, if you're sure. Well, if you're hungry, feel free to tell one of us."

"Um, yes, thank you, again." Inu-Yasha stopped his politeness for a moment long enough to glance over at Grandpa.

The old geezer was scowling rather disapprovingly at the former hanyou, the gray eyebrows knitted up in contemplative condemnation of the boy who was always whisking his granddaughter off to the era of monsters and legends. "Hmph," was the only noise that came out of from the wrinkled mouth.

"Choking on something, old man?" he asked, straining back the supreme scoffing sound, and settling with the underlying, overly polite sarcasm.

Another, "Hmph," followed and Gramps rose to his feet. "I have to get to working on some more spirit wards. You never know," he glowered at Inu-Yasha, who merely snorted, "when a demon might appear on the grounds." He rose to his feet and snuck off to make o-fuda and sutra.

Kagome closed her eyes and shook her head. Making sure he was out of earshot, she remarked, "I guess Gramps still hasn't realized that he doesn't have any spiritual power…."

"That's for sure," Sota agreed, spooning some more rice into his bowl.

The rest of the dinner was rather peaceful, quiet conversation. Kagome and Inu-Yasha just listened to Sota and Mama chat. The house was warm, fighting against the freeze outside. The room seemed softer, and more inviting than it ever had to either of the two.

Mama swept off some dishes from the table, followed closely by Sota, still chattering animatedly.

"I really like Inu-Yasha, Mama," he was saying when they entered the kitchen.

His mother smiled. "I think he is a good boy at heart. A little misunderstood, but he seems to care very much for Kagome."

Sota bobbed his head in agreement, and almost lost control of the bowl of stew he was carrying. "Oops!" He managed to keep the sloshing liquid under control. "Well, Kagome cares a lot about him. They sometimes act a bit funny around each other. You know, like they share a secret that no one else knows."

Mama smiled, setting some of the dirty plates in the sink. "Well, that's because the do, Sota. They share a secret just between themselves. It's a special bond they share, even if they don't always realize it, those two are quite close."

"Yeah, you're right, Mom." Sota set the stew on the stove and began heading back to the dining room. He stopped, and whirled around once he'd entered the doorway. "Hey, Mom, I think you ought to see this."

"Hmm?" Curious, Mrs. Higurashi obeyed her son's beckoning hand and came into the entryway behind him.

At the table sat Inu-Yasha and Kagome; however, they had fallen asleep, lying against the wall somewhat. Kagome had leaned over and laid her head against Inu-Yasha's shoulder, resting against the front of his shoulder and part of his chest, her lips brushing against the fabric of his shirt with his head was lolled on top of hers. The boy had one arm wrapped protectively around her waist, to which the girl had thrown an arm over the forearm, and his other hand was at the ready, resting on the hilt of his sword. Behind them, the interrupted form of a bow and quiver full arrows was present; Kagome's free arm was leaned back a bit, her fingers gracing over the bowstring gently.

Mama, grinning softly and knowingly, only looked away from the touching scene when she saw some small snowflakes drifting outside the window.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A/N: Ok, I've updated. Sorry about the delay. Yes, I didn't have my writing program, but I got it for my sweet 16 so now I'm catching up on some much needed writing…. Hehe! Yes, I do write other things than just Inu-Yasha fan fiction, but that, however, is going to be a book, someday. I still have a ways to go. In any case, I really appreciate all the reviews I've been getting for Shikon High! I'll try to write when I can. Currently, my 10 year-old-niece is playing the Inu-Yasha fighting game and waiting for me to join her in my room.

Inu-Yasha: My fighting game?

Yeah, I almost always play you or Kagome. Or demonic you…scary though….

Inu-Yasha: *puffs up with pride* So, no making fun of me today?

Nope, no in the mood Inu-Yasha. Just going to let you off easy today.

Inu-Yasha: What's the catch?

Catch? Oh, nothing, just I'm going to have you lose to Shippo…that is, when my niece is playing you against me.

Inu-Yasha: What?! You're actually gonna-

Just shut up this time, smile, and say bye-bye.

Inu-Yasha: Yeah, yeah, later.

Quickie, I'm on both FanFiction.net and MediaMiner.org. Thanks again, and please write to me at: hanyou_miko_dreamer@hotmail.com

Till then, ja ne!

~Moonlight shadow

Japanese used:

youki-demon energy

nani-what (originally, in the A/N Inu-Yasha was going to say that)