InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Once Upon A December ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Once Upon A December

Prologue

~Selene Serenity~

Disclaimer: I don't own IY or Anastasia, please don't copy or steal.

Author's notes: Look for them in the next chapter.

~Prologue~

I, Kaede was part of a famous line of Priestesses, the Higurashi family. I am a distant relative though, so the events I am chronicling here did not affect me directly, except that my favorite relative, a dear child I loved so much was lost forever. I will never forget that day; it will forever be burned in my memory.

The Higurashi family always strived to do they best they could for the people of Japan. They told fortunes and most importantly they protected the powerful Shikon no Tama. The Shikon no Tama was a very powerful jewel that evil forces yearned for. Humans, and demons, yes demons searched and fought to get to the jewel, but were always thwarted. Most people are unaware of demons in this world, for it seems impossible in this day an age where magic seems to only be a myth.

The Higurashi family had hired a man by the name of Onigumo to attend to the family's needs. He seemed to be a friendly person and no one suspected he was evil at all. If only we had known ahead of time what his true intentions were. Somehow he managed to infiltrate out shrine's security and found the Shikon no Tama. By the time we realized what was going on it was far too late. Onigumo was really an evil demon by the name of Naraku, who sought the power of the Shikon no Tama, and now he had it.

On the night that he stole the Shikon no Tama, our family was celebrating the birthday of my great niece, Kikyo. She is the relative I mentioned earlier. It was her sixth birthday and I had come from my home to visit her on her special day. As the celebration went onward we all soon felt that something was going amiss. Soon Naraku made himself known and came to us all, showing off his new prize, the Shikon no Tama. Most of the guests panicked and abandoned the shrine, running for their lives.

The Higurashi's stayed behind and fought him, but with the Shikon no Tama he was too powerful. At that very moment Naraku vowed to kill anyone who had come in direct contact with the Shikon no Tama. I feared for my relative's lives. While I was not one of the ones he vowed to kill, most of my family was, most importantly Kikyo. I took her and we both made a run for it at the order of Kikyo's father. I had to get that child out of there if it was the last thing I did. She still had a very precious life to live. We got further and further away from the screams of pain and agony from the others who were fighting for our chance to live, but soon I realized that someone was following us. Looking behind me quickly I saw a young woman in a kimono, her black hair tied up in a kind of bun, her red eyes starring back at me. She held up a fan and quickly swished it in our direction. A strong gust of wind pushed us a few feet up into the air and then sent us crashing down again.

I can still remember Kikyo's tears and cries for help as we lay on the floor, the woman approaching us. Then, out of nowhere, three children ran in between the woman and us. One, I distinctly remember had to have been a demon, and the others human. "Get out of here!" The human girl shouted at us.

"We'll take care of her!" The human boy assured them.

"But you're only children!" I cried.

"Go now! Before it's too late!" The demon barked. I didn't wait a second longer and took Kikyo into my arms, running as fast as I could out of the shrine.

As we ran out none other than Naraku appeared before us. He smirked and starred at Kikyo. "Did you think I would let her get away!?" He laughed evilly. "I have a vow to fulfill."

Kikyo looked up at him with fright, tears still pouring out of her eyes.

"If only you hadn't touched this…" He said, waving the Shikon no Tama in the air. "I may have been able to spare you for a little while. He walked closer and closer to Kikyo, his grin getting bigger by the second. I tried to stop him, but he knocked me down to the ground. Naraku reached for Kikyo's face and as he did she bit his wrist with such force. He screamed and slapped her in the face. His arm suddenly began to change into what looked like a tree root, and a very sharp one at that. He aimed it at Kikyo who seemed to be starring at something…the Shikon no Tama. She quickly dodged the root as he thrust it at her and reached for the Shikon no Tama. Just as he grabbed it, Naraku jerked back, causing them both to loose grip on the Shikon no Tama. It fell and on contact broke in half, giving off a great glow. The two both reached quickly for the halves, each only getting one. As Kikyo held her piece it glowed even brighter, a pure power emitting from the half.

Naraku screamed in pain, the jewel's power burning him. She crouched on to the ground, muttering something until he seemed to be frozen in place. Had Kikyo sealed him away?

I took this chance to grab Kikyo and run to the nearest train station. The steam was billowing from the train as it started up. I managed to get up on a car with some help. I turned back and grabbed Kikyo's little hand. I did everything I could to get her up, but the train was gaining speed quickly and one small movement caused me to loose grip on Kikyo's hand. She fell backwards and crashed on the tracks, hitting her head. I screamed out her name as the crowd at the station surrounded her. But it was too late. I had lost her…Kikyo…