InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Once Upon A December ❯ Starting Out On A Journey ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Once Upon a December

Chapter One

~Selene Serenity~

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha or Anastasia. Please don't copy or steal.

Author's Notes: Hey everyone! I was listening to my Anastasia soundtrack the other day when I got this idea. I'm not sure if this will work out well, but I hope so! The fic based on the movie, Anastasia. (The cartoon.) Most of the stuff will be the same, but some stuff will be changed. Oh! And to clear something up, Kagome is just plain Kagome in this, when I said Kikyo in the prologue, it was still Kagome, that was just her name then. There will be no Kikyo in this fic. When you're done reading leave a review and tell me what you think!

~Chapter One~

Many little voices called out Kagome's name from the windows of the orphanage. "Bye Kagome! We'll miss you!"

Kagome turned back to the orphanage and waved energetically. "Bye everyone! Take care!" She called out to them.

"Kagome! Would you listen to me!?" The old woman growled.

"Yes…ma'am…" Kagome mumbled and hung her head, now facing the gate of the orphanage.

"Now where are you to go?"

"To the next village over to work as servant to the lord there." Kagome muttered as she fiddled with the jewel, well half a jewel in her pocket.

"Correct. Now hurry up and get there as fast as you can." The old woman pushed Kagome out past the gates, out on to the snow covered road. Kagome gave a final wave to the other orphans and left down the road.

Kagome had lived in that orphanage for her entire life. Well at least the life she could remember. They told her she had been found at a train station just wandering around. Someone had found her and left her in the orphanages care. She was about six when they found her, though she didn't really know her exact age. It was now ten years later and she still couldn't remember the first few years of her life. It was all just a blank to her. Now she was considered to old to live in the orphanage and was forced to go find work as a servant.

Soon Kagome reached a fork in the road. One way led to the village where she was to work, the other to a different village. She sighed and looked down both paths. 'I don't want to be some lord's servant! I want to live free!' She thought. "I just want a sign of what I'm supposed to do now."

"Kiara!" A small voice laughed. "Hey! Wait up!"

Suddenly some small demon dashed over Kagome's feet. It almost resembled a small cat. Kagome gasped. "A demon!"

Yet another demon ran past her. This one sort of resembled a human, though he had pointy ears and a bushy tail. "Kiara, you run way to fast!" He laughed.

The first one, Kiara stopped running and looked back at Kagome and mewed. The second demon turned to see what Kiara was looking at. "Ah!" He cried and ran behind Kiara. "Don't hurt me!"

"Me!? Hurt you? You're the demon here, not me." Kagome almost laughed.

"Yeah, but you're a lot bigger!" He protested.

"Well I'm not going to hurt you if you don't hurt me." Kagome knelt down so they were at the same eye level. "I'm Kagome, who are you?"

"My name's Shippo!" He gave a little smile, and this is Kiara!" Kiara mewed once more.

"It's nice to meet you. But what are you two doing out her all alone?" She asked, a little concerned.

"We're going to that village over there!" Shippo pointed down the second trail that Kagome was not supposed to take.

"But why alone? Where are your parents?"

"My parents are dead, most of my pack was killed actually. I barely escaped with my life."

"Oh! I'm sorry Shippo."

"Naw, it's okay."

"But it's dangerous for you two to be out her alone." She pointed out. "Who knows what could happen?"

"Well why don't you come with us?" Shippo suggested.

'My sign?' Kagome thought. 'Maybe I should…'

Kiara stepped closer to Kagome and nudged her knee a bit, mewing happily. Kagome laughed and stood up. "All right! I'll go with you!"

"Yeah!" Shippo cheered.

And with that the three of them started down the path to the Miko Village.

***

"Miroku, none of those girls looked even remotely like her!" Inuyasha spat. "We need a girl that's going to convince that old bat its her."

"I know, I know." Miroku sighed. "But you know, it's not all that easy to find a look alike of anybody."

"So what are we going to do?"

"I have no idea." Miroku stood up and picked up his staff. "We should call it a night though. It's getting late."

"Yeah." Inuyasha agreed and jumped up. "Let's get back to the temple."

***

"So Shippo, what were you planning on doing once we got to the village?" Kagome asked as the stood in the middle of a passing crowd.

"Nothing really. We just travel from town to town." Shippo replied.

"Oh…and here I thought you might know someone here." Kagome sighed. "Ah well. Lets see if we can find a place to stay.

As they walked around the village they found that no one was willing to take them in for the night and all of the inns were far too expensive for them to afford. They kept walking until the reached what seemed to be a shrine. "Hm…this place looks abandoned." Kagome noted. "Darn I was hoping maybe someone would take us in here too."

"Kiara! Come back!" Shippo cried as Kiara ran into an open door of the shrine. Shippo ran in, following her.

"Shippo! Kiara! You can't go in there!" Kagome called. Though she knew she wasn't supposed to Kagome walked inside anyways.

***

Inuyasha jumped of the ground with a start. "Inuyasha, what is it?" Miroku asked worriedly.

The two dog-ears on top of Inuyasha's head twitched a bit. "Someone's here. I can hear them." He replied.

"You sure?" Miroku said, picking up his staff once more.

"Sure." Inuyasha nodded and gripped the hilt of the Tetsugia. "Let's go."

***

Kagome walked around the huge shrine, not finding Shippo or Kiara anywhere. "Shippo!? Kiara!?" She called, her words echoing through the shrine. There was no reply.

She thought she heard something behind her and quickly spun around, but nothing was there. When she turned back the other way, a demon, slightly taller than herself stood before her. He had long, white hair and strange golden eyes and stared at her with anger, and the most noticeable things were the two dog-ears on his head and the sharp claws pointing right at her throat. Kagome gasped and backed up, but the demon followed. "What are you doing here?" He growled.

"I'm sorry! I'm just looking for my friends! They ran here. If I could just find them I'll leave."

"You shouldn't have been trespassing." His claws came closer and closer.

"I said I'm sorry!"

"Inuyasha! Leave the poor thing alone!" Another voice shouted from behind Kagome, but she didn't dare move to see who it was.

"And why should I!? She broke in here!" The demon shouted.

"Well it's not like were really here on legal terms!" the voice said sarcastically. As he said this, the owner of the voice, a human, a monk by the look of it, walked into Kagome vision.

"Fine." Inuyasha spat and brought his hand down to his side.

"I'm very sorry Miss." The monk apologized and took Kagome's hands. "My friend here overreacted."

"It's okay." Kagome assured him.

"Good! Now Miss, would you bear my child?" He smiled at her.

"What!?" Kagome cried with disgust.

"You pervert!" Inuyasha shouted and hit him hard on the head, making him loose his grip on Kagome's hands.

"Sorry, very sorry. That's just a question I ask all beautiful young women I meet." The monk rubbed his head. "My name's Miroku, please don't take any of this the wrong way."

"Kagome!" Shippo cried as he ran in the room. "I found Kiara!"

"Good job Shippo." Kagome managed to smile down at him. "I'm sir sorry." Kagome bowed to Inuyasha and Miroku. "We didn't mean to disturb you, and we'll just be leaving now." Kagome started for the door with Shippo and Kiara following.

"Wait!" Inuyasha shouted and grabbed Kagome's wrist.

"What!?" Kagome spun around. "I apologized didn't I!?" She shouted.

"Miroku…look." Inuyasha said, starring at Kagome, then at something next to her.

"What?" Miroku wondered and stepped closer. He too started starring, then his lower jaw dropped down. "No way…" He mumbled.

"What!? What is it!?" Kagome demanded.

"You look just like her." Miroku said.

"Just like who?"

"Kikyo…"