InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Once Upon a Time ❯ Making Friends ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Kagome was so excited. Finally, finally her life was starting to look good. This unexpected visitor on her doorstep would be her ticket out of the castle gates and into the adventures of the world beyond!
 
Kikyo was also starting to get excited, but for different reasons than Kagome's excitement.
 
"Are...you..um...serious about switching places?" She asked breathlessly.
 
"Of course! I wouldn't pass up on an opportunity like this! I mean, fate has decided to give me a chance of life outside the castle before I rot and die of boredom, so who am I to refuse it?" She laughed. "In fact, we should put this plan into motion as soon as possible, like, RIGHT NOW!! So hurry up, let's switch clothes!"
 
Kikyo nodded eagerly as a gleam of hungry ambition passed through her eyes. Kagome failed to notice as she started pulling out all the ribbons and knots in her hair.
 
For the next few minutes, there was a lot of scuffling as they each tried to put on each other's clothes. In fact, size wasn't the problem at all. They both would've had a perfect fit, if it weren't for the fact that neither of them knew how to put the unfamiliar garments on themselves. Kikyo was struggling with all the laces that entwined her head, while Kagome looked with confusion at the stringy pieces of rags that she was supposed to wear.
 
After a good deal more of struggling, they both managed to fit awkwardly into their outfits. They looked at each other, contemplating once again at their mysterious indentical-ness. After a moment, kagome said out loud, "We should probably do something about our hair."
 
Kagome grabbed her brush and studied Kikyo's hair before nodding and proceeding to try to untangle all the knots in the crow's nest on top of Kikyo's head. Kagome heard Kikyo stifle gasps of pain and winces as the brush traveled relentlessly through her tangled hair.
 
It took more than thirty minutes to get Kikyo's hair into a decent shape (I won't go into the details, but let's just say that Kikyo found out what shampoo was in the most unpleasant way), passable as the hair of someone with regal standards.
 
"Now then," Kagome said decisively, "it's my turn. Can you grab some of that oil off the fireplace mantle? Thanks."
 
Kikyo watched as Kagome rubbed the oil into her hair, shaking it a few times to make it look more convincing. Once again, they looked at each other, different thoughts running through their heads.
 
Wow, Kagome thought, This girl looks so different with my clothes on. I bet I really do look like a beggar now. Who knew that it would be this easy to blend in with the general population?
 
Kikyo, on the other hand, was thinking on a darker side. This princess is either very stupid, or very naïve. Doesn't she realize that she's throwing herself out into hell on earth?
 
Kikyo shook off the momentary pity that entered her mind. An evil thought crossed her head. This princess just handed me her entire life. I think that I'll play with it before doing anything else around here.
 
Oblivious to Kikyo's scheming mind, Kagome cheerily said, "Okay, so how do you want to do this? You can either chase me out of the castle by force, or just let me go out through one of the side doors."
 
"How about I just send you out the front gate?"
 
Kagome thought for a moment, then said, "I guess that works, too. Oh, and one more thing. Is there anything about you, I mean 'me,' that I should know about? You know, like family members and friends."
 
"Huh? Oh, um, well..." Kikyo hesitated, "My father's name is Naraku, and, um, I have a younger sister named Rin."
 
She wouldn't need to tell her about Inuyasha, seeing as how he had ditched her and left her to be beaten by the guards. She didn't want this girl to get too close to him, anyway.
 
"Hmm, all right then," Kagome stated, "as for me, you can call my father dad and my mother mom, but only in private. Otherwise you call them your highness, same as everyone else. And I have a little brother named Sota, whom you probably know, him being the prince and all. Yeah, that's about it. Oh wait! I'm also engaged to a wolf-demon called Koga."
 
"You're engaged to a demon?" Kikyo asked.
 
"Most unfortunately, yes I am. Please don't be too nice to him, because then he'll think I've finally decided to become his woman and become an obedient yet faithful wife.”
 
Kagome pulled a face. “The creep.”
 
”Yeah, sure….okay," Kikyo agreed. Maybe she could get close to this wolf-demon and see what kind of benefits she could reap from him.
 
"So, would you like to show me out the gates?" Kagome said with mock respect.
 
" ….why, certainly, loyal subject," Kikyo played along. She could get used to this. She thought as they walked out into the corridor and down the stairs, Kagome slightly behind with her head down.
 
They ran into no trouble, and soon Kagome was outside the metal bar gates, and for once no one took any notice of her. It felt good, not having a bunch of eyes bore into her back. Through the bars, she whispered to Kikyo, "hey, I'll be back by nightfall, so open the door for me on the west wall, ok?"
 
Kikyo nodded, her face carefully concealing her glee.
 
"Well then, your highness, I implore you farewell," Kagome said loudly before walking away into the crowd.
 
Kikyo watched as Kagome's retreating figure soon melted into the streets. Kikyo called out, "don't worry; I'll be waiting for you.”
 
Kikyo turned around and couldn't help but smirk at the princess's ignorance. She actually kind of admired her innocence; it took a great deal of sheltering for anyone to be that trusting.
 
“I'll be waiting, waiting for you to come just to see your face when I close the door of your home on your face.”
 
She headed back to the towering castle, unspeakable plans running through her head.
 
 
---in the street---
 
Kagome looked around her in amazement. The hubbub in the streets was constantly rising in volume and the neverending stream of people passed everywhere she looked. She couldn't believ how unconfined, how free she felt now that she wasn't even wearing a corset. Humming happily (no one could have heard her even if she had shouted out 'ninety-nine bottles of beer on the wall') to herself, she continued up the street.
 
She was just considering which direction to take when an angry voice behind her yelled,
"Kikyo!"
 
It took Kagome a few seconds to realize the man was calling her. Of course, she had no idea who he was, but judging by the furious and contempt look in his eyes, she guessed he was someone she was supposed to know.
 
"um...yes?" she answered timidly. Before she could react, the man had grabbed her by the elbow and threw her non-too-gently into a nearby alley. She stumbled, but righted herself as he bore down on her, his eyes flashing.
 
"Where have you been, you useless, pathetic, excuse for a whore! I feed you and let you live in my house and this is how you repay me? By inexcusably disappearing and then walking in the streets as if you have nothing to do?!"
 
His voice was rising in volume and speed, his face turning a livid red. Wait, who was this guy anyway? Kikyo had mentioned a father…..
 
"Oh," was all she could manage. She assumed that this man was supposed to be her father for the day.
 
"'Oh'? is that all you have to say?! Where have you been? I better see some profit from your mysterious absence, or I'll make sure you regret the day you were born!"
 
"oh..um..." she had no idea what he meant be 'profit,' and she definitely couldn't say that she had been at the castle. What did he want….?
 
At her delay, Naraku's nostrils flared. He stepped up to her and slapped her face, hard.
 
"Don't you dare hide any from me, you conniving wench!" He roared into the face of a now very shocked Kagome. Before she knew it, he had removed the velvet bag that had been sticking out of her pocket with a gleam of triumph in his eyes. "So, you thought you could hide this from me? you disobedient wretch! you won't be allowed in the house tonight. Stay out in the streets for all I care!"
 
With that, he left, laughing his head off as he jingled the bag in his hands. She stared dumbly as he disappeared into the crowd. Kagome had brought a few golden coins along with her just in case she needed it. And now it was gone, snatched from her by her so-called 'father'.
 
She sank down to her knees. Never in her life had she encountered such abuse or neglect, let alone be subject to it; already she was starting to realize the hardships of a commoner's life. She stared blankly at the brick wall in front of her. Maybe it was just Kikyo's father that was like that? It could be that he was an exception to everyone else around her.
 
But then again, no one had helped her when Naraku had thrown her into the alleyway.
 
The more pressing problem was, what was she going to do until nightfall? Without money, she could buy no food.
 
Just then, a timid voice called from the entrance of the alleyway. "Um, sister, are you okay?"
 
Kagome looked up. A little girl was watching her, clutching the corner of the wall. Kagome sat uncertainly for a moment before standing up. It didn't escape Kagome's notice that the little girl flinched back. This puzzled her to no end.
 
"Why are you afraid of me?" She WAS her sister, right? Why would her own sister be afraid of her?
 
"Um..." the little girl (Rin, that was her name right?) looked at her and whispered, "you...aren't gonna hit me for...'pitying' you?"
 
Kagome looked at her and smiled sadly. That was it then? Was Kikyo just as bad as her father? Maybe Kagome had judged Kikyo too soon; she had presumed that Kikyo was another shy, respective woman who lived an ordinary life in the town.
 
Well, Kagome wasn't going to stand for that. But first things first.
 
Kagome looked at Rin and smiled invitingly.
 
Rin stared at her in astonishment. This wasn't like her sister Kikyo. Kikyo would've screamed at her to mind her own business, or yell at her to pick up trash in the dirty street corners. Kikyo never smiled like she was smiling now.
 
Kagome considered Rin's shocked look, and affirmed her suspicions of Kikyo's personality.
 
Never having been one to be able to stand an unhappy face, Kagome gently approached her new sister and pulled her into a sisterly hug. She felt Rin stiffen and utter a small gasp. Kagome stroked her hair as she murmured, "I'm sorry, Rin, if I ever have hurt you in any way." She pulled back and looked into Rin's tear-filled eyes. “Will you forgive me?" Kagome asked.
 
After all, Kagome was Kikyo for the day. The least she could do was make peace with her sister.
Rin couldn't speak, she just nodded, trying to comprehend that KIKYO was apologizing to her. Kagome gave her a smile. Rin looked at her and smiled, too. If Kikyo had suddenly changed overnight, then Rin liked that change very much. Being a child, she decided not to question it, but enjoy her new sister's company. Rin grinned happily for the first time in a long while.
 
That was one of Kagome's talents. Her smile had always been able to cheer up even the most depressed person. She used her smile now, to make amends for whatever crimes Kikyo had commited.
 
 
Rin walked through the streets, holding Kagome by her hand. The new Kikyo was a whole lot more friendly, and Rin felt safe and warm around her.
 
Kagome smiled at the bright, young child. She seemed to be no more that 7 or 8, yet she was so full of life. Now that Rin wasn't frightened of her, Kagome could see the simple joy and energy in her eyes.
 
They walked like that for some time, Rin pointing funny or interesting things out to her, and Kagome following along, nodding at the occasional sights.
 
"Too bad daddy won't let you in tonight," Rin said in a disappointed tone.
 
Kagome asked, "and why not?"
 
"Because that means I've got to eat dinner alone with him, and that's never very fun," she said matter-of-factly.
 
"Oh, I see," was all Kagome said. After a moment, she asked, "Then how come you don't just stay outside?"
 
Rin turned to her, her eyes wide. "Kikyo, I can't do that! He'll be really angry if I don't turn in my profits for today!"
 
There it was again. The mysterious 'profits'. Whatever they were, Kagome was starting to doubt that it was anything good. "What profits?"
 
In answer, Rin seemed to sidle up to a stranger walking in the opposite direction. Moments later she had a little drawstring purse in her hands, jingling it merrily. "This profit, of course."
 
Kagome stopped dead, shock written across her face. She looked back at the stranger that Rin had just pickpocketed. He was still within reasonable distance. Snatching the purse from Rin's confused hands, Kagome ran towards the man, calling out, "sir, sir!"
 
He turned around. He was a young man, with black hair tied back into a short ponytail. He was with a woman who had long black hair that was tied loosely at the end.
 
"Yes, what is it?" he asked curiously.
 
"Kagome skidded to a halt in front of him and handed him the purse. "You dropped your purse, sir, and my younger sister," she indicated Rin, who was running towards her, "picked it up."
 
The man looked surprised. He took the purse, saying, "wow. Not many people these days would be decent enough to return a purse that has been dropped by an owner."
 
Kagome blushed, the truth being that Rin had TAKEN the money from him. The woman next to him spoke up. "Miroku, I told you not to have your money hanging out like that. Of all things, I'm surprised someone hasn't already taken it by now!"
 
This statement caused Kagome to blush even harder. The woman turned to her. "Thank you for picking up my idiotic husband's money. My name is Sango, by the way, and this is my excuse for a husband Miroku."
 
Miroku looked at Sango, shock imprinted on his face. "My dear Sango, you are too cold! Surely I am someone worthy to be called your husband!"
 
Sango glared at him. "Shut it, you lech, cause I ain't buyin'."
 
Rin had finally caught up to Kagome. "Why did you do that?" She asked her, astonished, "There must have been a ton of coins in there; I could tell by the weight! How come you gave it back!" She hid behind Kagome when she realized that her victim was still there, listening to her every word.
 
Kagome gently pushed her in front of her, saying, "because a little kindness never hurts anybody, Rin. Now be nice and apologize to the Miroku and Sango."
 
Sango looked surprised." Why should she apologize to us? We should be the ones thanking you for picking up our purse.”
 
Kagome stammered, "Well, you see, she's just a little kid and I was hoping you would forgive her for...uh….stealing your purse. I-I mean, sorry about lying to you, but she still has a lot to learn, ya know...?" she gave Rin a meaningful look.
 
Rin looked sheepishly up at Miroku. "Sorry, Mister."
 
"That's just fine, um..." Miroku looked at her.
 
"Rin would be her name,” Kagome said.
 
"Right. I accept your apology, Rin," Miroku smiled, "and since you and this lovely young lady here have decided to come clean, why don't you two join us for lunch? It's the least I can do after you helped me recover my money."
 
Kagome was about to protest, since it was Rin who had stolen the money in the first place, when Sango agreed. "yes, that's a good idea. Come on, then, you two! I'm guessing that you two are sisters? What's your name?"
 
"Kago..I-I mean....Kikyo," Kagome said hastily, "and as you know, my sister Rin."
 
Miroku's eyes widened slightly, but nodded in acknowledgement. Sango seemed puzzled, too, but soon forgot it in favor of dragging the two girls towards a nearby restaurant. "Hurry up, you two! I'm starving!"
 
Rin looked at the building they were about to enter for lunch. "I-In there? But that's the best restaurant in town!" Rin squealed from nervousness and delight.
 
"It is?" Kagome looked at the shabby, run-down building in front of her. THIS was the best eating place in the whole town?
 
"Of course it is!" Sango said, laughing at the astonished girls, "Miroku and I don't eat out unless it's somewhere good!" and, as if that statement explained everything, Kagome and Rin were hustled into the building.