InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Once Upon a Time ❯ Suspicioun ( Chapter 5 )

[ A - All Readers ]

“What?" Kagome looked at him with an expression of shock on her face.
 
"Well, um," Inuyasha stammered, trying to make ammends for the unbidden words that had escaped his lips, "well, I, uh, figured that you can't, uh, find a place to sleep in one single night, so, since my room is big enough....." he trailed off and looked at her.
 
Kagome was about to refuse profoundly (with a slap to go with it), when her common sense got the better of her. Yes. It was true. There was no way she would be able to find a room on her own, her knowledge of the streets being scarce. Besides, she had heard that during the winter season there were no lodgings to be had; merchants booked them all for their long winter stay at the kingdom.
 
She growled.
 
She could not have picked a worse time to come up with the stupid 'switching places' plan.
 
Inuyasha could see that Kagome was seeing the logic in his offer. And he was starting to see it, too.
 
He didn't know what had possessed him to make such an offer, but it would be nice to have a companion during the winter, when he was practically cooped up in his room all day. His boring days would take on a nice change, at least.
 
That is, of course, if he could forget the resemblance that Kagome shared to Kikyo.
 
"Fine," Kagome said at long last. "I have little choice, seeing as how you're the only one likely to offer me shelter..."
 
She saw Inuyasha give her an evil smirk.
 
"And don't you get any ideas, you hentei," she said sternly.
 
"Don't worry," Inuyasha said, "I'm NOT tempted."
 
It took him quite a bit of willpower to weave out THAT little lie.
 
The truth was, when Kagome had accepted, Inuyasha had been about to grin with pleasure at the prospect. But he had realized how stupid that would look and had hurriedly tried to convert his facial features. He guessed he hadn't succeeded very well, if Kagome's response was anything to go by.
 
"Oh, really?" Kagome huffed. "Well, I'm going out to look for a job. You can do what you want in the meanwhile, got it?"
 
Inuyasha raised an eyebrow at her. "And exactly HOW will you know your way to the main street?"
 
Kagome paused for a moment. "Um, isn't this building on the main street?"
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes. "Idiot, if we were on the main street, we would be deafened by the noise. That's why I got my place waaaaaay over here."
 
"Wh-what do you mean by 'waaaaaay over here'?"
 
Kagome ran towards the door and wrenched it open.
 
Inuyasha let her.
 
Kagome looked out the door with disbelief written on her face. She was facing an alley; on either side of it were tall, grey buildings looming up into the barely discernable sky above. Inuyasha's 'apartment' was situated at the end of this desolating alleyway. Kagome had never seen such sights of poverty.
 
The buildings were old and the windows barred and cracked. Even so, she could distinguish vague figures resembling humans inside the buildings. Where WAS this? Surely they weren't in Kagome's kingdom anymore?
 
Inuyasha came up behind her. He could sense the dumb shock that Kagome was feeling. He couldn't help but sneer at her, "What's wrong, princess? Did you think that everyone in your kingdom was happy under the rule of your father? Think again, Kagome. This alleyway right here is one of the BETTER places to live around here. Reality isn't so pretty, you see. Not every commoner praises the king for his wonderful deeds, like your street spies tell you and the rest of your royal family."
 
Kagome managed a nod. She had had no idea what her kingdom looked like. She now realized that. She still had so much to learn about the very place in which she lived.
 
And she was determined to find out as much as she could of the conditions of her people. Even if she had been stripped of her power, she WAS still a princess, after all. It was her civic duty, right?
 
Taking a deep breath to steady herself, she turned and faced Inuyasha. She could see that he was watching for her reaction at the prospect of reality that had slapped her in the face.
 
"I'm going to try to learn what I can while I'm out here," Kagome said, determination ringing in her voice, "are you going to help me?"
 
Inuyasha caught on quick. "Er, wha-?"
 
"I said, will you help me survive and learn out here?" Kagome repeated, gesturing the empty alleyway with a wave.
 
Inuyasha crossed his arms, scrutinizing her. "Huh, I don't know what you're thinking, but I ain't risking my life for some girl that lands herself into my life."
 
"You won't have to," Kagome said, "all you have to do is find me a job."
 
 
---in the streets---
 
"How, how did I let myself get into this?" Inuyasha muttered as he strode down the cobblestones. "Find her a job, huh? Why can't she find her own stupid job, for cryin' out loud? She's spoiled rotten, sitting in her pretty castle all day, that's what she is!"
 
He wasn't exactly sure why he'd agreed to help her in the first place. He didn't even owe her anything. Well, besides the fact that she knew his deadly secret.
 
Yes, of course that was it. He was being threatened by this little fact to obey her every whim.
No matter how stupid those whims may be, he added.
 
Someone bumped into him, knocking him slightly off balance. Growling, he turned on them to vent some of his frustration on them.
 
He stopped in mid-syllable when Sango turned towards him.
 
She looked relieved at finding him. "Oh, Inuyasha, just the person I was looking for. Rin just ran up to me and said that Kikyo had been missing since last night. I know you don't like her," she said quickly as Inuyasha growled in annoyance, "but if you could just, you know...find her in your own way..."
 
"You mean sniff her out?" Inuyasha said skeptically. Sango looked sheepish.
 
"Yeah."
 
Inuyasha frowned. He didn't appreciate being treated like a dog. He was really glad that he had an excuse not to oblige to use his nose this time.
 
"No need for me to exercise my awsome powers. I know where she is."
 
Sango looked surprised. "You do? Where?"
 
"Oh, um well...." What should he tell her? Certainly not that he was at her house. He wouldn't be able to handle Miroku's perverted grin if that reached his ears.
 
"She-she said she's looking for a job. She's in the streets somewhere. If you know anywhere she can get a job, I can go tell her."
 
It was the truth, if only partially.
 
Sango rolled her eyes. "Inuyasha, you know as well as I do that there are no job openings this time around. I'm surprised she doesn't know either. I mean, she is a street 'profiteer,' like you."
"Um, yeah. That's what I told her. Too stubborn to take advice, I guess."
 
A surprised voice sounded behind him. "The Inuyasha I know, giving Kikyo advice? What is the world coming to?"
 
Inuyasha turned around and growled into Miroku's face, "If you like the way your face looks right now, I suggest you stop talking."
 
That wiped off Miroku's amused grin.
 
"So where exactly is Kikyo anyway?" Miroku asked.
 
In the castle over there, Inuyasha thought discontentedly. The thought of Kikyo sitting on piles of velvety cushions, gloating in his face, was sickening him.
 
"Inuyasha, you okay? You look like you're in serious pain."
 
Quickly wiping off the expression off his face, Inuyasha said, "Nothing, nothing. Oh, Miroku, you work at the marketing business, right?"
 
Miroku drew himself up proudly. "That's right. The President of the marketing company, that's me! I handle all negotiations going through our city, as well as passing out stalls for rent, making sure the stock of our company never runs out, and generally keeping this city running smoothly!"
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes. "Yeah, yeah, whatever. Listen, do you-"
 
"Inuyasha, there you are! I've been looking all over for you....oh, hey Sango, hey Miroku!"
 
Kagome came running up, smiling at them. "So, what are you guys talking about?"
 
Sango and Miroku exchanged glances. They were both thinking the same thing, ever since yesterday's incident. If this Kikyo was the Kikyo Inuyasha had always criticizing, then it just didn't make sense. This Kikyo was kind-hearted, gentle, and always had a smile on her face. Absolutely nothing about her was disagreeable, like Inuyasha had declared.
 
Something was definitely wrong here.
 
"Umm.....Kikyo?" Sango ventured timidly.
 
It took Kagome a few moments to figure out who Sango was talking to. "Yeah?"
 
Sango wasn't sure how to put the question. Kagome smiled at her curiously.
 
"W-well, you see....Inuyasha has mentioned you to us before...."
 
"And well, you see," Miroku came to the rescue; "his description of you just doesn't seem correct...." he trailed off, looking from Kagome to Inuyasha for a reaction.
 
Sango looked on as Inuyasha and Kikyo (who we all know is really Kagome) both took on a worried expression. Inuyasha fixed his quickly, though.
 
"Well?" Sango pressed, emboldened by the guilty expression on "Kikyo's" face.
 
"Wha-what exactly did Inuyasha say about....um....me?" Kagome asked. Inuyasha twitched.
 
"None of your business, wench," Inuyasha growled.
 
Ignoring him, Miroku replied, "Oh, the usual words that one uses when talking about a dirty street rat that won't leave you alone. Need I go into details?"
 
Kagome shook her head, thinking that maybe that was just a bit harsh on Kikyo.
 
She realized that this was her that they were supposed to be talking about. She should be acting offended and furious.
 
Seconds ticked by.
 
How was one supposed to act out these things?
 
Kagome was having a total blank-out. She had only gotten mad several times her past (well, not seriously anyway) and had no idea how to do it. She half-heartedly tried to look offended.
 
"I can't believe you would...uh..say such things about me Inuyasha! I am hurt."
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes and rubbed his forehead. Kagome didn't blame him. It had sounded pathetic.
 
Of course, this just aroused more suspicions in Sango and Miroku. "Are you two hiding something from us?"
 
"N-no!" Kagome said a little too quickly.
 
"Absolutely not!" Inuyasha said, looking at an interesting-looking cloud shaped like a claw.
 
Miroku looked at them with a 'yeah right, and I'm a green-headed monkey' expression on his face.
 
It was so funny Kagome had to laugh. The corners of Inuyasha's mouth twitched up as Sango watched Miroku's expression with skepticism.
 
The humor lasted for a few moments.
 
However, Miroku and Sango weren't finished with their inquiries just yet.
 
 
---The palace----
 
Kikyo stood next to the king's throne, looking gloatingly over the assembly of ambassadors, all of them trying their best to get on her good side. They fawned her with compliments, saying how pretty she was, how beautiful and smart, until she actually started believing all their petty lies.
She smiled at them in triumph as they tripped over themselves to bribe the king and his royal daughter. It would be better if this brat wasn't here, Kikyo thought scornfully as she glanced icily down at Sota, the prince and heir to the throne.
 
He was standing next to her, looking nervously from the eager ambassadors to his father for approval. He obviously wasn't comfortable with public standings.
 
If he's so nervous, he should stay in his room; he shouldn't come out here to ruin my perfect day, Kikyo thought.
 
Just then she felt a stare and turned to see a young woman, whom Kikyo recognized as one of the ambassadors, looking at her with a somewhat indescribable expression.
 
Kikyo looked down at the woman, not really sure what she wanted. She raised her eyebrow at her; in return, the woman bowed low to her and gestured to follow her out into the hallway.
 
Kikyo was puzzled for a moment. Should she follow this mysterious woman out? Her bow had seemed un-formal.....almost mocking, even. But the woman's smile had indicated that she somehow knew the princess in a personal way.
 
She decided to follow.
 
Once they were out in the hallway, the woman turned towards her, beaming, and hugged Kikyo as tightly as she could.
 
Kikyo stood stiffly, shocked that anyone was allowed to touch the princess in such a way. "What are you doing?" Kikyo demanded.
 
"Oh, come, Kagome, drop the superior act....it's me, Ayame!"
 
Kikyo suppressed a puzzled expression. Most inconvenient. This Ayame was probably a friend of Kagome's; Kikyo didn't know how she was supposed to act.
 
Ayame sighed and said sarcastically, "you know, only reason I was promoted as a foreign ambassador was because you put in a good word on my behalf to Koga! I'll always be thankful, you know. Anyway, I just wanted to speak to you privately for a few moments."
 
Kikyo nodded uncertainly at her. Ayame took no notice and continued.
 
"You see, I was watching you deal with the ambassadors today, and, well, you seemed not yourself somehow."
 
Kikyo was instantly alert. Of course! If this woman knew Kagome, than she might notice something out of the ordinary. She listened warily as Ayame explained how 'Kagome' was acting differently.
 
"Usually, you're so stiff and closed off from them, and you don't even give them a smile. But today, you were treating them as if they were your friends and your slaves. What's gotten into you?"
 
It was apparent that she wanted an answer. Kikyo thought quickly and decided that evading it now would create problems later. After all, the real princess wasn't coming back. It was time Kikyo took the liberty to change a few aspects on her life.
 
"Well, you know, Ayame," Kikyo began, "I was thinking the other day that it wouldn't help me if I was just closed off all the time. I don't know what I was thinking when I acted like that before, but now I'm a new Kagome! I decided to open up more to the people around me, so I'm gonna need some support from you, okay?"
 
Ayame blinked. "Wow, never thought YOU would make a life-changing decision like that. I'm really surprised. But I suppose it's up to you. Oh! The ambassadors are leaving. I better go. See ya, Kagome!"
 
She made another mocking bow, which Kikyo deciphered as an act of friendship, and turned away to join the crowd of people leaving the hall.
 
As she turned back to her room, Kikyo knew it was time for 'Kagome' to make herself big.
 
 
---in the streets---
 
"Wow, I never imagined Miroku owned the main business company of the kingdom!" Kagome said as she and Inuyasha made their way down the streets.
 
"Feh. He goes to the palace every month to report to the council about the stuff. I'm surprised you've never seen him before!"
 
"I didn't have much interest; my brother Sota used to go to all the meetings."
 
"Sota?"
 
Kagome sighed. "Sotaru Atawa Higurashi VII."
 
"Oh."
Kagome looked at Inuyasha. "Yup, the heir to the throne. My little brother. He's the one who'll be king after my father passes away. so don't you worry," she added, "Kikyo won't get the throne."
 
It's like she can read my mind, Inuyasha thought, annoyed. It was true that he had been afraid of Kikyo ascending to power. He shuddered to think about what would happen if that sick-minded woman came to power.
 
But then again, it made him shudder to think about what she would do to get to that power.
 
He opened his mouth to argue with Kagome on that point, but shut it again. No need to worry her with such things, he thought.
 
He mentally hit himself.
 
No, no, no, no! You do NOT care about her, you do NOT worry about her, and you do NOT care what happens to her, so stop protecting her! He scolded furiously.
 
Looking sideways at her, he could see the light of the sunset in front of them striking her face, outlining every detail on her face quite clearly. She looked so innocent, loving, caring, kind...
 
He stopped himself from being carried away.
 
"Well," Kagome said, interrupting his mental hardships, "thanks for getting me that job at Miroku's company. Now I can make an honest living for myself!"
 
Inuyasha snorted. "It wasn't me who got you your precious job, it was Miroku, and what's so good about an honest living anyway! You get WAY more money living a street rat's life like me."
 
Kagome looked at him seriously. "That money wasn't earned rightfully, and I don't believe anyone can come to a good end making money like that. Just you watch," she said, turning to face the road again, "I'll make enough money to support both me and you; that way, you won't have to 'work' while I'm living at your place. I won't have you feeding me with dirty money."
 
Inuyasha huffed, but otherwise said nothing.
 
They turned into an alleyway, disappearing from Sango's sight.
 
She had heard every word of the conversation. She stood rooted to the spot, as the truth finally hit her.
 
Kikyo wasn't Kikyo; she was Kagome, the princess of the kingdom.
 
This was BIG news, as in 'meaning-serious-trouble-for-anyone-who-knows' kind of news. And another thing. She was staying at Inuyasha's HOUSE?
 
since when was Inuyasha so nice to a woman? Of course, Sango knew Inuyasha wasn't keeping her just because of her title; no, Inuyasha wasn't like that.
 
She wondered if Inuyasha had finally found that 'special someone.'
 
Only time will tell, she thought. Smiling to herself at the mental picture of the couple-to-be, she turned and ran off towards her house.
 
Little did she know that another pair of ears had heard Kagome and Inuyasha's conversation.
 
As the stranger slowly walked off after the pair, he smiled coldly.
 
What interesting developments, the stranger thought, it will be amusing to use this information. Do you not agree, little brother?