InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Last Summer ❯ The Trouble ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
 
 
One Last Summer
 
Chapter Twelve
 
Part II
 
6:23 PM, Thursday, June Twenty-Sixth. (Taishou Manor)
 
'I will not kill Ban-chan.'
 
'I will not kill Ban-chan.'
 
'I will not kill Ban-chan.'
 
'I will not - fuck.'
 
Just as Sesshomaru was about to reach out with a strong, long-fingered hand and strangle the blue-eyed man, Kagome decided it was time to play a game. Leading the large group into the living room of the manor, and taking special care to deliver Rin up to her bedroom, she said goodnight and gave her a kiss on the forehead like a mother would, before returning.
 
"Come on, Sesshomaru! It'll be fun, I promise! And if not, then you can confiscate my chocolate ice cream for two weeks!" She tried, looking up at him pleadingly. It was almost believable, if she quivered her lip a bit more…
 
"No."
 
"Please?"
 
"No."
 
"C'mon, Sesshomaru!"
 
"No."
 
"Three weeks?"
 
"…No."
 
"Don't make me bring out the Fluffy shirt!" So she still had that shirt from the one time when they went to the beach, huh?
 
"No." Well good riddance. It was an embarrassment, anyways.
 
"Ugh, you're so impossible!" She stormed away with a pouting look on her face, sitting down on the soft-carpeted floor next to Sango and InuYasha. He decided on leaning against the wall with a small glass of wine in his hand, in case things became too much.
 
Dazing off into the world of where Ban-chan was being tortured mercilessly by Sesshomaru himself, he was only snapped into attention when he felt someone glaring at him. Looking around, he realized the group had begun to play a round of cards, the game formally known as 'BS'.
 
His gaze locked with the painful glare. Brought to him by Kagome, who silently watched him with a deadly look. While he was thinking of murderous thoughts of Bankotsu, who sat next to Miroku and InuYasha, Kagome was probably thinking along the same lines about him. She huffed and looked back to her cards.
 
Sighing and rolling his eyes, he walked over and sat down in the open space left between Kikyo and Miroku, across from Kagome. She gave him a bright smile and dealt him some cards, and looks were exchanged between Sango and Kikyo. No one noticed, however.
 
"Two fives."
 
"One six."
 
"One seven."
 
"Peanut Butter."
 
"One Eight."
 
"Two nines."
 
"Four tens!"
 
"Bull Shit, Kagome!" Sango clapped her hands over her mouth, but the words were already out.
 
"Read 'em and weep, Sango! Take the pile!" Kagome shouted, and thus another round was started. The game lasted until nine, when finally they gave up on playing, since it was almost impossible to win with a crowd that large.
 
"Okay, what's next?" Kikyo asked, picking up all the cards and placing them in the original box. The group - of course with the exception of Sesshomaru, who seemed to not care, decided upon just sitting back and watching a movie.
 
A foreign flick it was, one that Kagome herself picked out. One that only she herself knew the words to, since it was based in America, and the characters spoke in English, which was her second language. It was something that's title translated to something along the lines of "The Ring". Although it was a horror flick, it was only half as scary as it would be since everything was in a foreign language.
 
Yawning and stretching as she stood up, Kagome decided it was time for everyone to go to bed. Even though they were all years over eighteen, and didn't have bedtimes.
 
"Alright! Let's go home, girls!" She included Bankotsu, who was staying at the girl's condo with them. And since they had a strong, male to protect them, the condo was deemed safe as long as he was there. And Kagome didn't sleep in her room, or therefore a room with a large window unprotected. Sesshomaru - surprise of all surprises - volunteered to drive the two homes. Sango would be going home with Miroku, and Kikyo would be staying with InuYasha.
 
"Thanks so much, Sesshomaru. I appreciate it." If he hadn't offered to drive them home, then pair would have had to resort to walking home in the cool of the night. It wasn't the temperature, or the distance. Both of them could have easily handled it.
 
It was more the fact that Kagome hated being outside at night when someone knew her location. Not only some random person. More of the men that were hunting her. Not that Bankotsu wouldn't protect her, but if they had a group larger than three men, which no doubt they did, he wouldn't stand a chance. Kagome didn't want him to get hurt.
 
Also, with a ride home, thugs that stalked the alleys around the neighborhood where Kagome lived wouldn't pester them for crack. Or something else…
 
"Hn." Was his only reply, but she knew that it was the best she could get for a "You're welcome." Stepping out of the magnificent silver car - one of Sesshomaru's that she had never seen before - the two walked up the stairs and into the apartment. Not before Kagome turned back around and waved goodnight to Sesshomaru as he backed out of the parking lot.
 
His cold eyes glittered before disappearing into shadows as the car drove off into the darkness.
 
 
 
11:51 PM, Thursday, June Twenty-Sixth. (Shore-side Condo's)
 
 
 
Stretching her arms over her head, Kagome went into her room to check on Bankotsu. She found him lounging across the bed, legs tangled in the sheets already, and he had only been sleeping in there for a bare five minutes at most! Sighing, she gently untangled his legs in the sheets, careful not to wake him, and tucked him in under the covers.
 
Walking out of the room and switching off the light as she left, Kagome looked back at her old best friend once, and a smile was brought to her face. They had had some good times when they were kids… crazy ones, but good. Part of her resented some of them, and she would definitely not be like her guardian. Kagome would not allow for her children to do and go through all the things she went through.
 
Even though her childhood was a good one, she would never, ever wish it upon someone else. Of course, it was bad enough with the whole Witness Protection thingy, but it just got worse from then on. Nothing that she'd like to muse over either. Let us just say that she had a hectic life, back before college. And no matter how much fun it was, it wasn't worth the pain it brought her today.
 
When the time had come, college had been like an escape for her, because she left everything behind. Her friends, her guardian, her little brother - although reluctantly, as she tried to persuade Keade to let him come with her - and the past she hoped to never remember.
 
She had met Sango, and Kikyo, her new and current best friends, and InuYasha and Miroku, her best friends' boyfriends. And Rin, the little girl she loved as a daughter! Plus, there was Sesshomaru, who - well, she didn't want to get into those thoughts right now.
 
It was all so confusing.
 
But in the strange, hazy calamity of her mind, she tried to keep it all clear. Clear so that her friends and family members that she loved wouldn't have to go through anything that might hinder them… in physical, or mental ways. The old Kagome - the one from her teenage years, after her parents had passed away - couldn't have cared less. The new Kagome - the one who regretted her past and wished it all away - however, cared more about her friends and family than the world itself.
 
Which, in many ways, caused much trouble for the girl. Being too innocent at such and age brought on troubles like these, including the one that was sleeping in her bedroom as she herself slept in Kikyo's windowless room.
 
No, Bankotsu sleeping in her room wasn't any trouble at all.
 
She missed her bed.
 
It didn't matter that the great Sesshomaru Taishou himself had almost murdered the largest troublemaker in Tokyo - without his own knowledge - that night.
 
More witness protection!
 
Lastly, she noticed that her thoughts kept drifting to one man.
 
The man she, at times, loathed for being so conceited.
 
The man she never would have believed she'd be thinking about.
 
The man that held her life in the palm of his hand.
 
Sesshomaru Taishou.
 
 
 
10: 19 AM, Friday, June Twenty-Seventh. (Shore-Side Condos)
 
 
 
"Hello, sleepy-head!" Kagome chimed as a bleary-eyed Bankotsu stumbled into the kitchen of the condo.
 
He grunted something what she thought sounded like a "G'morning," but she could never be sure with Bankotsu. For all her knowledge, he could've said something like "Shit the world, it sucks, I need an Advil." She just preferred to think it was good morning.
 
"Want some eggs?" She didn't wait for a reply, knowing what he'd say, and set a plate full of scrambled eggs and a stack of pancakes in front of him.
 
Before she even gave him chopsticks, the meal was down his throat and in his stomach. Bankotsu yawned hugely, and rubbed at his sleep-filled eyes with large fists, making Kagome giggle. He looked like a little boy who just rolled out of bed when he did that.
 
'See? Bankotsu's not so bad. Nope, that was all left behind him when he went to college. Just like me! Wait… he did go to college, right?' Mulling over her confused thoughts she didn't notice him stand up, clear his plate, and mumble something about taking a shower before walking down the hall towards the bathroom until it was too late. She ran after him, yelling some incoherent phrases that shouldn't be repeated, only to have the door slam in her face and the sound of the water running echo in her ears.
 
Foiled again by sweet, innocent Ban-chan.
 
 
 
4:22 PM, Friday, June Twenty-Seventh. (Taishou Manor)
 
 
 
She was grateful for the fact that Sesshomaru had given her the few days Bankotsu was in town off. Although, she would only work for him for one summer, and he was nice enough to give her the break. In her mind, though, she didn't deserve it, after all she had put him through. So Kagome did her best to come over and watch Rin for him, and not put the servants through the ten-year-old's terror.
 
Even if it meant that there would be that the twelve hours spent until Sesshomaru got home were watching movies. Just like her first day.
 
"Psst…" Bankotsu whispered at her behind his hand. Rin sat on her lap, absorbed in the movie, which looked to be something or other about a dog and a cat, and currently the cat was floating downstream in a wooden box… you know the rest.
 
"What?" She whispered back fiercely. She wanted to know what happened to that cat!
 
"What the hell are we doing here?" He whispered just as fiercely.
 
"Baby-sitting Rin!"
 
"She's old enough to take care of herself."
 
"She's only ten!"
 
"When I was ten, I was already a father!"
 
"WHAT?!" Kagome screamed, and Rin turned to look at her. Her face turned red as she saw the amusement hidden in Bankotsu's eyes.
 
"Ooooh! You… why I oughta…" She punched his arm, making him wince. For an 'innocent' girl, she sure had a good arm on her.
 
"But really. It's so boring. I don't give a shit about a stupid dog in a box."
 
"It's a cat."
 
"Whatever!"
 
"Well, unlike you, Bankotsu, I have responsibilities!" Kagome was very angry now. Sure, they had a past together, where it was filled with the pair partying and going crazy, but it was different now. They were grown up.
 
Or, at least she was.
 
 
 
10:47 PM, Friday, June Twenty-Seventh. (Taishou Corporation)
 
 
 
Just the thought of Kagome and him, spending a night together, in a condo, all alone had irked him all day.
 
Of course, he had more trust in Kagome like that.
 
She would never betray him!
 
But it was still enough for him to do something drastic.
 
Something he did best.
 
After work was done for the day, Sesshomaru drove off into the night.
 
Not towards home.
 
Towards the bar.
 
 
 
12:31 AM, Saturday, June Twenty-Eighth. (Taishou Manor)
 
 
 
Bankotsu had stormed off hours ago. Right after she had cut of the conversation with that last comment, he had jumped up and left with a "I'm Out-a Here.". Not that she cared. Much.
 
"Is Sesshomaru coming back soon?" Kagome asked the younger girl, knowing that Rin of all people would know when he was coming back.
 
"Soon… he always comes back soon…" She yawned, her small mouth opening widely and showing off all her pearly whites.
 
"Okay Rin, it's time for bed."
 
"But I wanted to say goodnight to Sesshomaru before I go… to sleep…" Rin's chocolate brown eyes were already drifting shut.
 
"How about I stay here and say it when he comes home. Just for you." Kagome added, making the younger girl smile and snuggle deeper into the older one's embrace as Kagome lifted her up.
 
"Alright… G'night, Kagome… love… you…" Before Kagome could respond, the little girl was out for the count was a bad case of tiredness.
 
"Night, Rin-chan. Love you too…" She brought the child up to her bedroom, treading carefully through the stuffed-animal covered floor, and set her on the bed. Kagome kissed the young girl's forehead after tucking her underneath the covers. So wrapped up in the moment, she did not notice the slam of the front door until the perpetrator stomped down the hall and into his room.
 
'Aw… a few more seconds awake and Rin would've been able to say goodnight. Oh well, I'll just do it for her I guess. Like I said I would.' Cautiously Kagome tip-toed to Sesshomaru's room, making not a sound.
 
"Sesshomaru?" She called quietly and tentatively as she peeked into the room. Only to see the offending man struggling to pull his work shirt off, over his head. Kagome stepped up and touched his arm, a sign of offering to help him. He turned around, his golden eyes flashing, and she gasped and took a large step back. How had she not noticed before?
 
He reeked of alcohol.
 
 
I am sorry if you are unsatisfied with the last chapter. I would just like to make it clear that KAGOME IS NOT PERFECT. I hate stories like that. So what if she has a bad past? Sorry if I made her not 'up to your standards'. Then don't read the story. Because I'm not going to change it.
 
Anyways… Sorry for that… Yeah. But please, no flames. I can barely stand constructive criticism. Check out my profile if you have the time please!
 
Also, I am sorry about Sounga. Actually, I've never even heard of it before. EEEK! So, if someone would be so gracious as to send me some information about it and possibly a picture? If so, I will um… discuss the secrets of the story with whoever does!
 
Thanks, Please review! (Sorry for the long author's note) Love, CcB.
 
Later.