InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Old Life but a New Beginning ❯ Mixed Feelings ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 6



“No.” the youkai answered. Kagome glanced at him then looked back into the water.

“My father told me about you. Is it true what my father spoke of?” she asked.

“Depends. What did he say?” he asked in return.

“He said that we were to be mated long ago. It was interrupted by a battle and I had to leave you.” She answered.

“Then what he spoke of is true. We were to be mated in the spring but as you say, it was….interrupted.” he answered.

“Sesshomaru, do you still have those same feelings for me today?” she questioned.

“Why?” Sesshomaru asked curiously.

“Because I return them with the deepest respect and hope.” She said as she stood up and faced him.

“If revenge is what you seek upon Inuyasha, then I shall not take part of it. Your heart still beats for Inuyasha, my half breed of a brother.” He answered.

“Even thought he confessed his love for me, I think he still wants to use me as a jewel detector. Now that I have my family’s heirlooms, I must kill Kikyo. I made a deal to switch bodies with her and with her in my body, she will be able to wield the blades and use them for her own amusement.” Kagome said as she unwrapped her tail and let it rest on the ground. “I can’t let her do that Sesshomaru. I really do return my feelings for you. I guess that I don’t know what my heart desires anymore. I feel like I am torn between you and Inuyasha, only Inuyasha is closer to me.” Kagome walked up to him but kept an arms length away. Sesshomaru could see her more accurately now.

‘She looks so radiant and beautiful. The moonlight bounces off of her skin perfectly. How could such a beautiful being exist?” he thought, his emotionless mask still settled upon his face. Kagome smirked when she caught the scent of sandalwood and fresh pine.

“Inuyasha, you really must stop pretending to spy on me like this.” She said, still staring at Sesshomaru who looked beyond her to see a red clad figure enter the clearing.

“Kagome is it true?” he asked, also stopping at a distance of arms length. Kagome walked back to her spot by the stream and sat down with her tail curled up around her.

“I do not wish to speak of any further of past conversations.” She felt a tear drop run down her face. Kagome felt a strong arm come up behind her and wrapped around her shoulders, pulling her into his chest. She sat there for a couple of minutes taking in his scent but quickly regained control and stood out of Inuyasha’s warmth. She let her tail drag behind her as she walked into her den, dropping the barrier as she went inside.

‘Sesshomaru was right. I do still love Inuyasha, but Kami hasn’t answered my prayers. I don’t want to love him anymore.’ She thought, depressed at the situation she had gotten herself into. Inuyasha got up and walked to the entrance to her den and was surprised to see that it shock or throw him back. He tensed when a wave of sadness and depression washed over him. He saw Kagome sitting there on her cot, her tail sitting on the ground being as limp as ever.

‘Why does she reject me? I’ve told her my feels for her and she still rejects me.’ Inuyasha thought.

Maybe she thinks you still love Kikyo and you’re telling her that you love her because you don’t want her to leave you. She probably thinks you’re saying it just to get her to hunt down the jewel shards.

Inuyasha heard a strange voice in his head and suddenly started turning his head this way and that.

“Who said that?” he asked annoyed.

To his mistake, Kagome heard him and asked “Who said what?”

Smooth move dog breath. You already know who. You take me everywhere you go. Hello! It’s me, the sword!

‘This isn’t right! How can you be talking to me?’ Inuyasha thought worriedly. He then growled when the Tetsuseiga didn’t answer him.

“Inuyasha?” he turned his attention to Kagome and snapped out of his growling.

“Huh?” he said absentmindedly.

“Umm, do you think…..I mean……Do you mind if…..you could just……hold me in your arms?” she asked. Inuyasha walked towards her and sat on her cot, back against the wall. Kagome moved over to him and settled her head against his chest. She snuggled close to him as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders. Kagome then wrapped her tail around both of them, ensuring both warmth and comfort.

“Like this?” he said into her hair. She just gave a little nod and grabbed a fist full of fire rat haori. Inuyasha took in a deep breath, breathing in her scent. He sighed when the smell of toasted vanilla and sugarcane came over him. Kagome looked up to find Inuyasha’s eyes closed his heart beating simultaneously with hers. She tightened her tail around the two of them and carefully laid Inuyasha on the cot with her right next to him. She snuggled into the nearest little crevasse and tightened her grip on the haori. The two fell asleep and they embraced each other. Inuyasha gave out a slight smirk as he wrapped another arm protectively around Kagome.



“Kagome!!!! NOOOO!!!!!!” Inuyasha woke and bolted up right, breathing fast and hard. He immediately turned his head to find a sleeping Kagome next to him, rail still clenched around both of them. “It was only a dream! It was only a dream.” He sighed as he lay back down; Kagome’s arm automatically wrapped around Inuyasha’s chest and pulled him close. A cold shock came over him that made him shiver but was quickly recovered by Kagome’s warmth. He looked at her, admiring her beautiful features, from her gracious lips to the rip stripes on her cheeks. He noticed that her eyes began to twitch. He watched her slowly raise her eyes and looked at him with a blank face. Inuyasha slowly got up to walk out of the den. Kagome stretched out her tail and lay in front of him, blocking his feet from going any further.

“I heard you scream. What happened?” she asked. Inuyasha looked back at the doorway and sighed.

“It was nothing, okay? You don’t need to worry about it.” He said. She nodded and removed her tail from his path.

“Hey, Kagome?”

“Hmm?” Inuyasha pulled out a little bag and held it in his palm.

“Do you think you could put those beads back on?” he asked her. Kagome tilted her head in confusion.

“I know I could but why would you want that necklace back on?”

“Can you just put it back on?” he said getting a little annoyed. Kagome shoved her worries out of the way and did as she was asked. The small beads glowed blue and wrapped themselves around Inuyasha’s neck.

“Thanks.” He said as he walked out. Kagome sighed and shook her head.

‘Why was he in here? I’m supposed to be away from him not with him!’ she thought as she pulled out some clothes. She laid out her miko robes and a red obi. After she was dressed, she put up her hair and walked out with her two katanas.

Why are you always pushing him away? The pup loves you and you push him away like it’s nothing.
“Okay, now I want to know who is talking to me.” Kagome said forcefully. She looked down as the Dragon’s Blade pulsed.

“Okay then, what do you think I should do?”
Is it really that hard to tell someone that you love them?
Well for me it is!
Well it is your birthday so why don’t you go see your mom? Then everything will be smooth from there.
Okay, but I trust you on this.
Go visit your mom and leave me here. I must talk with an old friend of mine.

Kagome did what she was told and took off towards the well. “Mom! Souta! Grandpa!” she called. There was no answer, the lights were off and it had been raining outside that morning, making the day start out to be a miserably one. All of that soon changed when Kagome flicked on the lights and was shocked by the sudden surprise as her family screamed “HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!”