InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Step Forward, Two Steps Back ❯ Step 9: It Isn't Good Enough... ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I am so very sorry that it has taken me such a long time to get this chapter out. I honestly don't mean to let so much time pass, but you have to keep in mind that I don't have nearly as much free time as I used to. And having a full time job where I spend most of my day on the computer makes me not want to spend any time on the computer at home if I can help it. So basically, what little writing I get done is normally at work when I have some spare time, and I'm currently dividing my attention between four different stories. So please be patient with me because I will update whenever I can.

In response to a question:

A Miroku/Sango relationship really isn't going to come into play in this story as far as my plans go right now. I normally give them time in my other stories, but in this one I'm really just concentrating on Inuyasha and Kagome. There might be a few hints of something between the other two, though, but not more than that.

Now, on to the Inuyasha torture! Er, I mean, on to the story...heh...

.

.

Disclaimer: Huh? What? I'm supposed to be writing something? Oh yes, I don't own any of the characters in this story...or do I? Darn it, I know I let a lot of time pass since I started this story, but I'm not old enough to be THIS forgetful! Or am I? How old am I again...?
.
.
.
One Step Forward, Two Steps Back
Chapter Nine
.
.
Sango could only stare open-mouthed at the tree Kagome was so frantically pointing to.

"My clothes! Who in the world would want to steal my clothes?!"

Knowing it wasn't a question really meant to be answered, Sango stayed quiet and allowed the other girl to run past the tree and dig around in the bushes about ten feet behind it, as if she hoped they might have made their way into them - somehow. Though it wasn't very likely, since not even the slight breeze that was in the air that evening could have managed to carry them such a distance.
 
'Inuyasha really wouldn't have gone THAT far, would he?' The exterminator bit her bottom lip as she considered the situation. She had no doubt in her mind that the hanyou must have been involved in the clothing caper in some way, because why else would only Kagome's clothes have been stolen and not hers? They were on another branch on the other side of the same tree, but from what she could see at a glance, nothing was missing or even out of place.

Sango sighed and rose to her feet before heading to rinse out her hair in the cold stream. 'And who else might actually be capable of getting that close to us without me noticing? Certainly not Miroku...'
 
"What am I going to do, Sango-chan!?!" Kagome was becoming more frantic by the second as she hunted for her mysteriously absent clothes. Who could blame her, though? It was like a situation out of one of those dreams people complain about, where you find yourself at school naked. "My uniform and pajamas were all the clothes I had with me!"
 
Not bothering to respond, Sango dove under the water and removed all the shampoo from her hair as quickly as she could before surfacing with a loud splash. Not wasting a moment, she then moved towards shore to retrieve her own clothes.
 
"Don't worry about it, Kagome-chan. I'll find out what happened and bring them back to you." She stopped talking long enough to put on the clothes she normally wore when she wasn't fighting. She hated putting clothes on before she could dry off. Now she really wanted to kill whoever was responsible for the situation...
 
"Who do you think might have taken them?" Kagome was busy looking up into the tree, as if she believed her clothes might have suddenly decided to climb up there on their own.
 
Sango cringed, knowing she'd have to lie. "I'm sure it must have been Shippo playing a joke or something. You know the way kitsunes are."
 
"Shippo...?" Kagome eyed her doubtfully. "Do you really think he could have carried all those clothes away on his own? He's so little!"
 
The only response she got was a nervous laugh as Sango finished fastening her top layer of clothing on. "I'll be right back, so stay here, okay?" Not waiting for a response to her rather stupid order (as if Kagome planned on going anywhere in her state of undress), Sango jogged off into the safety of the forest before the other girl could ask any more questions.
 
She was such a terrible liar!
.
.
~*~*~*~*~*~
.
.
"Oh my, you actually managed to get them. I'm impressed, Inuyasha!"
 
Looking around nervously, Inuyasha stood in the middle of the camp clearing while clutching Kagome's clothes in his hands like they were lifelines. "Yeah, whatever bouzu. You've seen the proof, so can I take them back already?"
 
Humming lightly as if he were considering, Miroku stood up and moved to get a better look at the clothes in the other man's hands. "Yes, yes, it does appear that you got everything down to her - what did Kagome-sama call those that day she caught me with them? Oh yes, right down to her underwear." As if the temptation was too much for him, he reached out to pick up the mentioned garment.
 
"Dammit, don't you dare-!" Growling fiercely, Inuyasha held the pile close to his chest and made it very clear that the other man had better not touch any of it unless he wanted his hand taken off. "I'm not letting a pervert like you near anything of Kag- wait! What do you mean, the day SHE caught you with her underwear? When the hell was this?!?" He remembered catching Miroku digging is her bag once, but he'd also done it another time? Oh, he was about to be SO dead...
 
The dark-haired man laughed nervously, realizing he'd said too much. "As I said earlier, Inuyasha, I'm very impressed that you managed to steal Kagome-sama's clothing, but I can't say that I'm completely convinced by this after all."
 
 
"WHAT?!?!" Inuyasha's eyes nearly bulged out of his head. He couldn't be hearing this! After everything he went though, Miroku still didn't believe him?
 
 
"I've been thinking about it while you were gone, and really, even a monkey could peek at a girl and steal her clothes without meaning anything by it. So I'm going to have to see some better evidence than this if you want me to accept that you like woman as a fact." Before Inuyasha could protest or attack him, Miroku quickly charged ahead. "I'm not really sure yet what I feel would be appropriate, but once I think of something I will be sure to inform you. But in the meantime, if you get the urge show Kagome-sama how 'interested' you are in her, feel free to do so in whatever fashion you choose. Something involving physical contact preferred, of course."
 
 
Miroku could almost see the steam rising from Inuyasha's red face. It made him rather worried for his own safety, but at the same time he couldn't help but want to laugh. "My, Inuyasha are you angry or are you embarrassed? I've never seen a face quite that red before."
 
 
"DAMMIT MIROKU, I OUGHTTA-" Inuyasha actually raised his clawed hand in what Miroku recognized as the beginning of one of his friend's signature moves. Best to curb this situation quickly before someone, namely him, got hurt...
 
 
"Now that we are finished here, all you have to do is put the clothing back and this particular task will be complete!"
 
 
Inuyasha froze. "Dammit, you mean I have to go BACK?" He'd momentarily forgotten that he would actually have to return the clothes, and the thought effectively replaced his anger with fear. Repeating his earlier adventure was not an attractive idea in the least, and really, the idea of getting run through by Sesshoumaru was more appealing at the moment. But he couldn't let Miroku know that, because the perverted monk might take it the wrong way.
 
 
Squaring his shoulders, Inuyasha decided to just suck it up and take the stupid clothes back. How hard could it be to just do what he'd done earlier? He wouldn't have to look, and hopefully neither girl would ever be the wiser.
 
 
Miroku watched the variety of telling emotions run across the other man's face, and had to forcefully hold back an amused smile. "Now, don't you think you should hurry? Kagome-sama is going to be very angry if she catches you, and I'm sure Sango-sama will be along any moment looking for them."
 
The attempt to push Inuyasha into action was successful. His eyes went wide at the thought that they might have already discovered that the clothes were missing, and he let out another curse before taking off back in the direction he'd come from in fear of Kagome's wrath.
 
Miroku remained standing where he was, an amused and very satisfied smile on his face. It was really just too easy! But now he could only count on the fact that Inuyasha would take a while putting the clothes back, because he had a little business he needed to take care of...
 
"So you WERE the one that put Inuyasha up to it!"
 
Not appearing to be surprised in the least, Miroku turned to greet the woman emerging from the trees down wind of where Inuyasha had been only moments earlier. He was still smiling, and it was apparent that he'd been expecting her to show up and wasn't bothered by the fact that she'd overheard his little meeting with Inuyasha. What in the world could he be plotting...?
 
Sango's eyes narrowed.
 
"Yes, my dear Sango, I knew you were here. I've actually been meaning to talk to you, and this would be the perfect chance to have a little chat, don't you think?" He gestured to the ground next to him, indicating that she should have a seat.
 
Once they were settled (Sango having chosen a spot further from Miroku than the one he'd suggested), the monk smiled at her. "I'm not surprised that I failed to hide something such as this from you, Sango-sama. You really are quite observant!" He said it as if he were proud of her. "So now I suppose that I must explain to you the good deed I'm doing all for the sake Kagome-sama and Inuyasha."
 
"Good deed?" Sango scoffed. "It looked more like torture to me! What have you been doing to poor Inuyasha?!? He's acting so crazy lately that I don't know what to think anymore, and now I'm more sure than ever after witnessing your little meeting with him that you're the one responsible for his behavior!" She moved as if to get up, an angry expression on her face and one hand reaching for hiraikotsu. "I shouldn't even give you a chance to explain!"
 
Miroku shook his head as if he were saddened by her lack of understanding. "Sango-sama, you wound me with your mistrust. Do you really believe me capable of ever doing anything to any of my companions with the intention of being cruel?"
 
She wasn't fooled by his innocent act in the least, and continued loom over him with hiraikostu in a threatening manner.
 
"I am but a simple servant of Budda, and my mission is to help others in any way that I can. My intentions towards Kagome and Inuyasha are pure and unselfish, I assure you!" He raised his hands in a placating gesture. "I am sure you will appreciate the goal I am trying to achieve if you will just sit down and allow me to explain."
 
Sango grip on her weapon went slack as she hesitated. Should she give him a chance to explain? Allowing him a chance to talk her out of her anger could be a bad idea, she knew, but at the same time she really wanted to know what was going on. Oh, what to do, what to do?
 
In the end, curiosity won out.
 
"Start explaining." Sango moved back to where she had previously been sitting, while still holding on to hiraikostu. Best to be prepared in case she had to beat him into the ground because of something he said.
 
"When I made my sincere vow to stay away from women, at the time I did not understand the effects that it might have." He sighed regretfully. "Had I only known how upsetting the situation would be for Inuyasha, I would not have done it. But now that I made such a vow, I must follow through as a faithful man of God should."
 
 
Sango rolled her eyes but stayed silent.
 
"Since the deed had already been done, I chose to look for the good that could be had of such an awkward situation. And when I did, I realized that this could be the perfect solution to Inuyasha and Kagome's relationship, or lack thereof."
 
The angelic smile on his face did nothing to make Sango believe in his good intentions. Quite the opposite, in fact. She tightened her grip on Hiraikotsu...
 
Miroku continued on, oblivious to her growing annoyance. "Since I realized Inuyasha's fear that I might actually be interested in him since I've given up women, I have subtly (Sango snorted in disbelief) been 'encouraging' him to show more interested in Kagome-sama by playing off his fears where I am concerned. I must say, the whole idea is working so well that I wish I had thought of it months ago. Inuyasha is so shy about his feelings for Kagome-sama that the only way they will ever be able to get things out in the open is with a small push. Don't you agree, Sango-sama?"
 
The demon slayer didn't know whether to laugh or clobber him. "Small? You call what you are doing to poor Kagome-chan and Inuyasha SMALL?" Her incredulous voice echoed loudly through the clearing and Miroku nervously gestured for her to be quieter.
 
"Okay, perhaps it isn't small," He agreed just to placate her. "But you have to admit that it is effective."
 
Sango sighed and let go of her weapon long enough to rub her temples. She could feel a massive headache coming on. "Houshi-sama, I really wish that you would stop making things so difficult for everyone. Giving Inuyasha a complex about other men and Kagome a complex about Inuyasha isn't going to solve their relationship problems. If anything, it is making things worse!"
 
Miroku smiled serenely, not at all put off by her negative attitude. "I admit that things may be bad right now, but sometimes things have to become worse before they can become better. Once Inuyasha becomes more comfortable with expressing his feelings for Kagome-sama, then I can explain everything to both of them and-"
 
"Be killed!" Sango interrupted him. "Really, do you actually think Inuyasha is going to just let it go after you've caused him so many problems? He's going to tear you to pieces!"
 
"I am more than capable of defending myself against him."
 
Sango gave him a flat look. "How about against Inuyasha AND Kagome?"
 
Now this was something the monk had yet to consider, and for the first time he actually felt very worried. It was one thing to get in a scuffle with Inuyasha, but Kagome? He couldn't possibly hurt her, self defense or not. And even if he could, Inuyasha and Sango would seriously be out to kill him then.
 
"Perhaps I do need to rethink my plan a bit." He admitted, though none of the worry he was feeling showed on his face. "But I have really come much too far to back down now. They are going to try to kill me anyway if they find out, so I might as well see it through to the end." His confidence was suddenly back full force. Why worry about it, after all? Nothing he could do now would erase anything he'd already done, so he might as well enjoy the rest of his pathetically short life.
 
"Please, I beseech you, Sango-sama," Miroku was suddenly kneeling in front of Sango and holding one of her hands. The poor girl hadn't seen it coming and nearly fell over backward. "Do not tell Inuyasha or Kagome-sama anything yet. I just need a little more time, and I promise you the results will be worth it."
 
"But-" She was fully intending to deny him his request, until he stopped her with his next words.
 
"What if I said that this would finally end poor Kagome-sama's suffering where her uncertainty about Inuyasha's feelings is concerned? Don't you want your dear friend to be happy?"
 
For the first time Sango looked unsure. "Well, of course I do..."
 
"And you want them to come to an understanding just as much as I do, I'm sure. Am I correct?"
 
"Yes..."
 
"Then please, all I ask is for you to give me until the next full moon." He pleaded with her passionately. "And then if Inuyasha and Kagome-sama haven't come to an understanding by then, I promise not to interfere any further."
 
Sango sat quietly and contemplated the situation for several moments, while Miroku held his breath.
 
"Fine. But make it the next new moon."
 
Miroku's eyes widened in surprise. "But the new moon is only eight days away!" He protested.
 
Sango nodded firmly, obviously not planning to give an inch on her decision. "It's either the new moon or I'm telling them right now, because I don't think any of us will survive if I allow this to continue until the full moon."
 
Miroku thought quickly about his options. He would have a lot less time that he'd originally counted on, but perhaps the added urgency would make things more interesting as well as challenging. And while everyone else focused on the chaos he was sure to create, Miroku could enjoy the show as well as a few additional perks. He nearly drooled at the thought of all the peeking of his own he could do while the attention would be off him and on Inuyasha.
 
 
"I accept those terms, Sang-"
 
 
Miroku broke off abruptly as a very angry, high-pitched scream echoed through the forest.
 
 
"IIIIIINUUUUUUUUYAAAAAAAASHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!"
.
.
.
.
Done! Wow, I feel so much better now that I've actually completed something! I swear, I felt like I was writing all the time, yet I never managed to actually finish a chapter of anything I was working on. I'm still not quite sure how I managed that, but oh well...Anyway, please drop me a review and let me know if you are still reading and enjoying the story! Despite how it may seem, they really do encourage me to keep working. Thanks for reading!