InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ One Wish ❯ Whisper to Me Sweetly ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Inuyasha frantically called her name. Leaning over her and holding her in his arms, he gently cried out her name over and over again, trying to bring her back.

"Why Kagome? You promised!!! I told you to stay away. I told you to go home!!! I told you to get away from this place if only for this battle. You promised me you'd be okay!!! YOU PROMISED!!!!" he cried.

Stomach clenching, he let his tears fall. Never before had he thought that he'd cry again, cry over a human. But this wasn't just any human girl, this was Kagome. And now he could see her fading away.

"I-I'm sorry Inuyasha...I couldn't..." she gasped for air. "I couldn't leave you."

There was a small trail of blood running down her cheek from her mouth. His mind replayed the scene over and over again. Every gorry detail.

Naraku had transformed, his true form terrifying in every way. He had stood tall against the bright sky with his deformed body and ever reaching arms that looked like the branches of a tree, but felt too much like the sharp edge of a razor blade. Sharper than his own sword the Testsaiga.

He had told Kagome to leave, to go home and he would take care of this. She had been badly hurt by Naraku when he had taken her captive. He had tortured her and tried to get her to reveal where the final shikon jewel shard was, but she wouldn't tell. Her clothes had been torn, her skin ripped apart where the whip had lashed out on her skin. There were bruises and blood around her ankles and arms from where the chains had been. And when Naraku had finally let her go when Inuyasha handed over the shard, she could hardly move. So he had sent her home.

She'd flown away on Kilala, Songo going with her to make sure she made it back. But she had convinced her best friend to bring her back. She came because of HIM.

Inuyasha's head fell down as he rememberd how she had saved his life. With Naraku's deathly blades, he had struck out at him. Distracted for an instant by Kagome's arrival back, he didn't have time to dodge. But Kagome had shot an arrow his way, breaking off one of his extentions. Naraku had turned angry and struck Kagome...His blades entered through her torso and exited from her back.

He remembered just standing there, staring in shock as his golden eyes glazed over, horrified by what he was seeing. He watched Kagome hover as Naraku let out a malicious laugh and then dropped her to the ground, leaving her there to die.

The rest was a blurr. His anger grew and he remembered screaming at Naraku, then striking blindly. The next thing he knew, Naraku was defeated and he was left with the remains of Kagome.

"Kagome...why did you come back? Why couldn't you just go HOME?!" The tears came more freely now. There was no point in trying to look tough for her anymore. She was going and they both knew it.

"S-silly boy," she stuttered. "You know I could-" she gasped. "I could never leave you."

"Kagome...I"m sorry. I"m so sorry I couldn't protect you..." he hung his head.

"Don't," she said. "Please...I did this for you, because I love you...I don't ever want you...to feel bad about this. This is how it's...supposed to be. Please....take this..." she said in between breaths. He lifted his head for a moment to glance down at her hand. In it was the completed Shikon no Tama, The Sacred Jewel of Four Souls.

"K-kagome....how did you..." he looked up. "Kagome?" Her eyes had closed. He frantically looked at her chest to see if it was moving, but her breathing had stopped as well as her heart. He couldn't hear anything. And slowly, he could smell the scent of death creeping over her body. "Kagome....no, KAGOME!!!" He burried his face in her neck, crying out for her to come back, to open her eyes, anything. He couldn't lose her now...not before he could tell her how he felt. But he did...and she was gone.

So slowly, he stiffled his sobs and tried to regaine his composure. Searching through himself to find streanght, he found it in himself to lift her up into his arms and carry her to the tree where they had first met. Gently setting her down, he cried next to her. He let all the pain and all the feelings that had built up over the time he had known her and let them all out. He knew he had to let go, but he couldn't bring himself to say goodbye. "I'm sorry Kagome....I'M SORRY!!!! OKAY?!?! ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?!" he sobbed. "I'M SORRY NOW WAKE UP AND COME BACK!!!!! Y'HEAR ME?! COME BACK!!!!!!!!!"

Desperately, he burried his face into her neck and held her, not wanting to believe she was gone. Holding onto her, he felt a surge of energy, or was it anger, run throughout his body. Thrumming through every nerve, he soaked it in. The vibrations caused his muscles to shake and then he heard a slight humming sound.

Looking up, he noticed that the vibrations weren't coming from him. The Sacred Jewel was hovering above Kagome's body and had a colorful aura surrounding it. It was pure energy. Staring in amazement, he heard a voice inside his head. Make a wish....

Baffled, he didn't understand what was happening. But instead of questioning, he listened. Something inside him told him that everything was going to be okay, and he believed it. So he closed his eyes and wished with all of his heart.

He heard a crackling noise and then opened his eyes. The jewel was now seeping into Kagomes body and imbedded itself inside of her where it had emerged. His breath caught in his throat as he leaned away from Kagome. He watched as a bright light surrounded her, she was glowing...it grew brighter and brighter untill he had to sheild his eyes away from it.

Then suddenly, it dulled. It continued to nullify itself until it was just a faint shimmer of gold, and then it was gone. When he looked back, her body looked completely untouched. There were no more wounds, no more scars or bruises. He slowly crept toward Kagome's body to look for any signs of life. Looking from her head all the way down to her school girl shoes, he saw gold and silver specks all over. But he didn't see any signs of her breath or any body movements. Not giving up hope, he watched her face. Slightly, her eyelids twitched and slowly, she took a breath. "KAGOME!!!!"

He put his hands on either side of her face and leaned his face in close. "That's it Kagome...open your eyes," he whispered. And slowly, she responded. "I-Inuyasha." His arms flew around her as he held her and cried once more. "I love you Kagome...I love you..."