InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Online Drama ❯ Brother of the Year ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 16- Brother of the Year:

Kikyo frowned when she opened the box of chocolate ice cream. She glanced over at her houseguest Kagome apologetically before showing her the empty box. "I regret that someone placed an empty box in the freezer. Is there something else you would like to eat? We may have some oranges in the fruit bowl."

Kagome's eyes lost their shimmer of excitement, but she shrugged off the chocolate idea and began to look around the counters for the fruit basket. Oranges were okay. They weren't nearly as good at Chocolate, but at least they packed that tangy taste.

The fruit basket soon fell into sight and Kagome snatched a pair of oranges and tossed one to Kikyo, had set out the two bowls and retrieved a knife for them to share. She then began to lead Kagome back into the den where the television was located. "What shall we watch?" Kikyo asked as she turned on the television.

Kagome took possession of the remote control and began to flip channels. She landed on the Sci-Fi channel and noticed that the horror movie, Candy Man, was just beginning. She drew her knees under her chin as she took a bite out of her juicy orange. She smirked at Kikyo. "This is a totally freaky movie. Let's watch it!"

Kikyo looked at Kagome skeptically for a moment and then gave her attention to the television screen. She really wasn't a fan of watching scary movies. But, it did take place in New Orleans and she was doing a little research about voodoo. She turned to Kagome with a mischievous look to her eyes. "Do you know anything about voodoo?"

Kagome blinked at her new friend a few times before finally processing the question. "Voodoo? Well it's sort of like magic that was practiced by black slaves over in America."

Kikyo looked very interested in the subject as she scooted closer to Kagome on the couch and set aside her fruit. "Do you know how to make a voodoo doll? I'm just curious to see if it works."

Kagome frowned thoughtfully at the question as her eyes ventured back towards the television. She scratched her chin absently. "Well, I think you need the basic doll, which really isn't the important part. Then you'll need something from that person. A hair perhaps will work. Then you have to say some kind of ritual spell, but I have no idea what that would be."

Kikyo nodded her head, storing all the information in the back of her mind to look into further when time permitted. She smiled at Kagome before redirecting her attention to the movie. "I see, so it is similar to a golem."

"What's that?" Kagome asked, having never heard that terminology before.

Kikyo turned her attention back to her American guest. "A golem is a wooden doll that can be manipulated to behave in whatever fashion the individual who places a hair around it desires. That individual may be in the safety of their home as they have the doll reek havoc. Perfect alibi, for who can be at two places at once?"

"That's interesting." Kagome agreed as she finished her orange and tossed the rind in the bowl in the center of the table. She and Kikyo then sat back to enjoy the movie.

An hour and a half later found two frightening young women with eyes screwed tightly shut sharing a blanket where they both would occasionally peek over the top of to see what was taking place in the movie only to cower under the covers again.

As the theme music of the credits greeted their ears they both threw off the cover and stretched. "What a great movie!" Kagome exclaimed with a wide smile as she picked up the orange bowls to put them away in the kitchen sink.

Kikyo followed close behind as she folded up the blanket to return it to the quilt rack near the hallway. She waited for Kagome to catch up and they went to the bedroom they'd be sharing. "Yes, it was quite an excellent movie indeed." Kikyo agreed.

The women exchanged looks before bursting out laughing. "I never want to watch another scary movie again." Kagome admitted. Kikyo could only nod in agreement as she threw back the covers.

"Well, unless there is a cute boy protecting me. Then I'll watch a scary movie," Kagome corrected herself. Kikyo ignored her new friend as she flipped off the light and retired to sleep. The movie forgotten as she fell immediately asleep.

Kagome looked at her new friend in envy. How did she manage to fall asleep so easily? Kagome was still scared witless by the frightening movie. Normally she would call Kouga and he would rush to her side if she was unnerved by something, no matter how trivial. That was something that she loved about him. Then Kagome remembered how she had caught him with that other woman, not once but multiple times now.

Angry and still too frightening to sleep Kagome quietly creped out of the bedroom and made her way back to the office room she had passed in the hallway earlier. She had seen a computer in there. Maybe Kaede had internet access.

A game of Battleship was sitting in the seat in front of the computer desk, so Kagome carefully removed it and placed it at her feet. She then turned on the computer. Score! There was internet access, unfortunately it was the dial up kind.

Every annoying harsh sound the dialer made caused the young woman to cringe and shrink into herself, hoping she didn't wake up the other two females of the house. Finally, she found herself online.

She searched for the messenger program and was dismayed to find there was none. She would just have to download a version then, and then delete all traces of it before she was finished.

After about twenty minutes of waiting for the slow internet to download her instant messenger she was finally able to sign on. She looked at the clock. It was really late. After all this work, she wouldn't doubt if no one was awake. However, she couldn't go to sleep now. Every creak and groan of the old house made her shiver inside.

Of course, she felt safer in numbers, but if the bad guy from that movie were to show up she seriously doubted if Kikyo and she could defeat him. Why did they have to say his name five times? Sure it was funny at the time to egg one another on to do it, but now she couldn't even relax.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sesshoumaru was incredibly tired when he returned home. That annoying Jaken had followed him like a dog to his master. Jaken had explained that he would not allow Sesshoumaru to dismiss him. Ryu-sama had ordered the Japanese toad-youkai to serve the Hayate brothers.

Giving up, Sesshoumaru ordered the smelly demon to make himself at home in the pool house, as far away from his sensitive nose as possible. Walking up the stairs to his own bedroom Inuyasha overheard his brother laughing and furiously typing on his computer.

He was about to make him shut up so that he could rest in peace, but decided that perhaps he'd let his brother have his moment of happiness. They both deserved to find some humor in life. Decision made, Sesshoumaru retired in his bedroom and collapsed upon his covers, not bothering to unmake the bed. His mind ran over the experience with Kagome's father.

The man was frightening and just to avoid having to deal with such an individual on such a personal level he would gladly pass up the chance to have any further romantic involvement with the beautiful human woman.

In the very least, he would be friends with her. He simply wasn't ready to deal with a father-in-law like Ryu. Besides, Kagome would be good for his little brother. He had promised himself that he would be a better older brother to him and this was the perfect way to start.

Also, with Inuyasha's track record with women, he was bound to get a socially unacceptable one pregnant and this Sesshoumaru will not accept a tramp as a future sister. Comfortable with his unselfish decision, Sesshoumaru fell into a peaceful slumber.

He would look forward to the trip to the airport the next day. He would like to tell Miroku of his intentions since he seemed so concerned about hooking the pair up.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Inuyasha had to wipe the tears from his eyes. He couldn't remember having a better time than this online before. He looked at the clock, it was nearly four in the morning. He moved his fingers back to the key board.

~Steel Claws: B9

~AngelK: Miss! Haha! You really stink at this game you know?

Inuyasha growled in annoyance as he placed another harmless white peg into the upper panel of his battleship board game. He was ever so grateful that he didn't sell in garage sell all those years ago. He'd have to thank Sesshoumaru for convincing him to keep it to work on his battle strategy skills.

~Steel Claws: I may have missed that time, but all you have left is your measly Destroyer, I've sunk everything else.

~AngelK: So, it only matters who loses in the end. G7.

Inuyasha wrinkled his nose in annoyance as he picked up a red peg and placed it in the fifth hole of his Battleship. He shook his head, he had just lost some of his advantage. He was now down to two ships. Of course he could cheat, she wouldn't know.

~Steel Claws: I thought you were bragging about being good at this game.

~AngelK: What? I missed? NO way, there's no where else for your Battleship to be!

~Steel Claws: No, you sunk it.

~AngelK: I knew it! See, I'm good at this game, I told you I was.

~Steel Claws: You only have such a good track record because you play with people of the likes of Kouga.

~AngelK: That's not funny, Yasha

~Steel Claws: I know. Hey, do you feel better now? It's getting pretty late and I wanted to be at the airport to see you off tomorrow.

~AngelK: Yeah, I guess I'm feeling better now, I still don't think I'll be able to go to sleep. Thanks for staying up with me, I really appreciate it.

Inuyasha couldn't stop the smile from spreading across his lips. He would much rather invite Kagome over to his house to spend the night away from night terrors.

~Steel Claws: I could come over if you'd like. I'll sleep on the couch. Or I could pick you up?

Inuyasha chewed his bottom lip in anticipation of her answer. Would she agree? Would she refuse him? He'd never been so bold in inviting a girl over before. Normally they would throw themselves at him and he would have to bolt the door tight to keep them away.

~AngelK: I don't know. I don't want to upset them.

~Steel Claws: I know them both pretty well, they won't be mad, I promise.

~AngelK: LOL, they told me about how often the see you. Get into fights often?

~Steel Claws: Don't change the topic.

~AngelK: Could you come get me?

~Steel Claws: Of course, I'll be over there in ten minutes. Leave them a note explaining where you're at.

Inuyasha left his computer, not bothering to turn it off as he pulled his shirt back on and grabbed a pair of jeans that were carelessly lying upon his floor. He then slid his feet into a pair of flip flops, grabbed his keys and wallet and was about to rush out the door.

He then tested his breath and raced back up the stairs to the bathroom and thoroughly brushed his teeth. Not that anything was going to happen; he just wanted to be presentable.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kagome waited on the front steps of Kaede's home after leaving a note for her and Kikyo. They would understand. Kikyo couldn't really blame her after watching such a scary movie. That was the only reason she had agreed to Inuyasha's offer. It had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he had beautiful silver hair, gorgeous golden eyes, and the most adorable expressions.

She remembered the time they were at the pet store and he sneezed like a cute little puppy. Before she realized it, she found herself giggling. She stopped when a familiar jeep rolled into view. Butterflies began swarming in her stomach. Why was she so nervous?

Inuyasha opened his door and walked towards Kagome, taking her hand in his and leading her to his jeep. "I promise nothing bad is going to happen while you're in my possession." He reassured her as he climbed into the driver's seat and began his trip home.

"So does this mean I won the game?" Kagome asked innocently, breaking the nervous silence that had flooded the attitude of the jeep.

"No way! I was ahead of you sinking more ships. I won by sheer numbers." Inuyasha answered, flashing her a confident grin as he parked in front of his home. He moved to open Kagome's door and help her out, leading her inside.

"But you tried to cheat. Shouldn't that disqualify you?" Kagome asked in a whisper, she wasn't sure if anyone else was sleeping, but didn't want to wake anyone if they were. The house was huge, so surely more people lived there than just Sesshoumaru. She had to wonder where he had vanished to at the party. She still felt a little hurt by his sudden disappearance. At least Inuyasha had come back.

"But I didn't really cheat. I just told you wrong. I did place the red peg in my ship." Inuyasha replied ushering Kagome to one of the two couches in the den. He then walked to the large closet and pulled out some spare blankets and pillows. He tossed a pair at her and kept the rest to himself as he settled in the couch beside hers.

Kagome gratefully spread the comforter about her and laid her head upon the soft pillow. She sighed happily as she could feel sleepiness begin to overwhelm her. She grinned at Inuyasha when she noticed him watching her. "Thank you Inuyasha, I really appreciate this."

"No problem, I enjoy playing your knight in shining armor." Inuyasha answered, shutting his golden orbs, but listening to her breathing. When he was certain she was asleep he sat up and moved to kneel in front of her.

He gently brushed aside the bangs that had fallen over her eyes. He kissed her lightly on the forehead before returning to his couch and letting sleep claim him.

From his place on the stairwell Sesshoumaru felt a smile threaten to creep across his lips. He had awoken when the scent of Kagome had entered his home. He saw the way Inuyasha treated her as if she were something precious. He could recognize that Inuyasha felt differently towards this girl than any other he had seen him with. For one thing he wasn't taking advantage of her. It would seem that the play boy Inuyasha had finally met someone who could tame him.

Proud of his decision to back out of the competition for the sweet girl, Sesshoumaru made his way back to his room. He felt like he should be given some sort of award for being "Brother of the Year."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TBC