InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Only Half ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(A/N: Check it out. I'm already updating. Yeah for me, I'm on a roll. I don't own Inuyasha.)

CHAPTER TWO

Kagome stared at her hands which were still in her lap, she looked hesitant to tell Inuyasha about her past, and why shouldn't she? She had only met him a few hours ago and now she was about to spill her guts out to him. But for some strange reason, his very presence seemed calming and natural and.... familiar.

She remembered when they had caught each others eyes in the cemetery, something had sparked inside of her mind, something old and comforting. She knew she had seen those eyes before, but she couldn't remember where. It must have been when she was still human, some of her memories had been blocked out since that night. Maybe she had met this guy seven years ago, but did that mean that he remembered her? She wasn't sure, but she went along with it anyway. She took a deep breath and sighed.

"It happened a long time ago, seven or eight years, I can't really remember. Miroku and I still lived with our parents in the suburbs of New York City. My father really never liked the busy city life, too dangerous for kids, and my mom would rather have us grow up in a traditional large house instead of cramped apartment. I loved my parents very much, but I never really knew anything more than their personal life, everything about their work was basically kept secret from me. I had an idea, though, and I knew that they were very important people.

"One night, Miroku and I had gone out to a movie, I was seventeen, he was twenty one. It was our parents anniversary and our gift was a romantic, annoying off-spring free, dinner at a french restaurant in the city. I think the fact that we wouldn't be there excited them more than the dinner.

"It was around, maybe ten thirty, eleven o'clock before we got home. Miroku had to be brilliant and choose a horror movie, so needless to say I was scared out of my mind. I had almost refused to leave the car until I realized that I would be outside, all night, alone. Well, that didn't thrill me too much so I made dead run to the house.

"When I got to front, I could tell something was off. The house was completely dark, not even the front door lights were on. That was strange seeing as we always left them on in case company decided to show up unexpectedly. Our relatives tend to do that from time to time. Miroku had caught up to me and was also surprised at the sight.

"He could tell I was frightened, probably just cause of the movie, so he decided to go into big brother mode, and told me that our parents were probably still at the restaurant or something. I had to agree with him, of course, it made sense. So we just walked up to the front door, which was unlocked. Then we knew something was wrong.

"Miroku grabbed me and kept me behind him as he opened the door fully and walked inside. That's when my whole world came crashing down in dead spiral. The entire living room was in shambles, couches were turned over on their sides, shattered pieces of glass from vases and lamps that had crashed against the wall, and finally...blood everywhere."

Kagome started to breathe heavily, as if she were reliving the entire experience over again as she told it. Inuyasha grabbed her shoulders gently, letting her know that he was there. She didn't react, she was lost in her own world. She continued.

"We looked in the kitchen, and there were my parents bodies. My mother was face down on the floor, blood spilling from a gun shot wound in the side of her head. My father's body was draped over her's showing that he had been trying to save her. He was shot in the back, right through his chest, I could see the dark red staining his shirt.

"We rushed over and found that their skin was still warm, that meant that the murder had been done recently. That almost meant the killer could still be in the house. Miroku panicked, he had already lost mom and dad, he wasn't about to loose me too. He grabbed me and took me into the backyard, and placed me behind the large tree far away from the house.

"He told me to stay put and to be quiet, then he left running top speed to the neighbors to get help. I called the police and the hospital on my cell phone, before I broke down crying. I knew that I was being weak, but I couldn't help it.

"I was sure that nothing could get worse, I was dead wrong. Someone heard me crying, someone who did not want me at the house. He was very tall, at least three feet higher than me. I didn't even see him coming, I was so out of it, my brain wasn't working. He grabbed me by the arms and faced me away from his face, and started whispering in my ear, telling me every detail about my parent's death.

"Then I thought about Miroku, and how I was gonna die, leaving him all alone to suffer in grief, and I snapped. I couldn't do that to him, I loved him too much to make him suffer like that. I started thrashing, doing everything in my power to escape the madman's grasp. I finally kicked him in the stomach, hard enough to put him out of commission for a few seconds. I ran, faster than I even thought possible, but it wasn't enough. He still caught me, and that's when Miroku decided to come back, he saw everything, and he was powerless to stop it.

"Before I knew it, there was a sharp pain on the left side of my neck. It steadily increased until I felt like my very life was being drained out of me. I watched Miroku the entire time, seeing eyes wide with fear, rage, and mostly sorrow. The bastard released his grip, letting me fall face-down on the ground. I didn't have any strength left, I couldn't even turn around to look at his face, and the pain had not gone away, it only intensified.

"I could hear him laughing, it made me sick. He bent down to my ear and whispered, `See if your parents' dreams work now'. I didn't know what he meant at that moment, because I couldn't think straight. The last thing I remember is Miroku crying over me, and then blacking out.

"I woke eventually, not knowing how long I had been out. Miroku was sitting in a seat next to the bed I was laying in. I was in one of the guest rooms. My strength had returned and I was able to move around pretty normally, as if nothing had even happened. In fact, I began to doubt what actually did happen, until Miroku reminded me of the murder. I also realized that I had a new permanent feature, courtesy of my worst nightmare."

Kagome took off her denim jacket leaving a white tank top which now sported a red middle. She lifted her hair from the left side of her neck and revealed two small holes, parallel to each other. Inuyasha's eyes widened in shock.

"It didn't take long for Miroku and me to gather all the information we needed. My parents had been killed because they wanted to protect the world for an inevitable war. Everything became so clear, my parents were the leaders of the human race. It came as a complete shock that I hadn't realized before. My father was making a treaty with the demon lord to form an alliance between the humans and the demons to protect their people from vampires.

"Everyone thinks that vampires are just figments of the imagination, stories made up by parents to scare children into obeying. But they are very real, I suppose you already know that since you're a slayer. The person who had killed my parents was vampire.

"I wondered why he didn't kill me when he had the opportunity, then it became painfully clear. I was the target, my parents had chosen me to fulfill the laws of the treaty, to keep demons and humans on the same side. Naraku was the master of the vampires, he had killed them, he had sabotaged the alliance. He did something worse than kill me, he turned me into the enemy. He turned me into a vampire, the perfect way to destroy everything. I had already failed my father and mother, and I didn't even know until it was too late. My life had changed, I couldn't go back to my family, I couldn't turn to the demons, I couldn't even turn to my boyfriend."

Kagome sighed and turned to face Inuyasha. She looked into his eyes and smiled softly.

"Which is why I can't ask you to help me. In that same time that my parents and demon lord and his wife were making the plans to rid the world of the vampires, I met their son. We got to be close, extremely close, and our families totally approved. In fact, they saw it as a jump to their goal. Actually the demon lord's wife was a human, they had just never told anyone. The boy was a half-demon, but that didn't change the fact that I loved him, and he loved me. When I was seventeen, he made me promise that we would always be together, I guess it was kind of like asking me to marry him, but I didn't care. I wanted to be with him for the rest of my life, so I said yes."

Kagome pulled a gold medallion on a leather necklace from inside her shirt and let is rest on her chest. Inuyasha gasped and his eyes lit up with an emotion that she couldn't understand. It wasn't hurt, it wasn't joy, it was just odd.

"I don't know what it is about you, I feel comfortable in your presence. But I can't ask you to stay, I can't trust myself. And I made a promise to that boy and I intend to keep it, even if I can't fulfill it. But I can't go back to him, he wouldn't except me, which is why I ran away for those first years.

"And for some strange reason Miroku followed, I'll never be able to thank him. But that's my story, I'm a lowly half-vamp, trying to get her mortal soul back from Naraku. It may be too late, I'm not sure. And even if I do become human again, and everything goes back to the way it was, I can never go back to that boy.

"Turning into a half-vamp has long term effects. I hardly remember anything from my previous life, my human life. I know that there was a half-demon that I loved very much, but I don't remember his name. Without that name, I eventually forgot most of his appearance. It's all so fuzzy nowadays, but he's still there. Somewhere in my mind, and I'm not going to break my promise. I'm sorry, you're really nice, and I'm sure you'll find a girl more deserving than me."

Kagome sighed and walked towards the window to stare at the night sky. She heard Inuyasha get off the bed, and waited to hear the door slam sharply behind her, but it never came. Instead she felt two strong arms wrap around her waist and pull her body closed to hard toned chest. What is he doing? I just told him I've promised myself to another! she cried in her mind but she couldn't find the strength to fight back. She just listened as Inuyasha spoke softly in her ear.

"I was so afraid that you had died that night. The police were sure that you and your brother had been killed along with your parents since you had gone missing. Oh my God, I can't believe you're right here, I knew you weren't dead!" he said, hugging her tightly.

"What are you talking abou....." she stopped mid sentence as she turned and faced his golden eyes and silver white hair. Everything came rushing back like a flood, his face, his smile, his name. Everything, Kagome stopped breathing.

"Oh my God," she whispered. "Inuyasha, that was his name. It's you, Oh my..." she wrapped her arms around his neck and returned the hug, starting to cry. Inuyasha rubbed her back, calming her down.

"I thought I'd lost you, Kag. What were you thinking, running away like that?"

"I don't know. I was scared, I mean I'm part vampire now. I was afraid that you would disown or something since"

He pulled away and put a finger to her lips. He placed his forehead against hers.

"That doesn't matter to me, you know I love you, I always have. I haven't forgotten about you either, kid. I thought about you everyday, but I too lost your name. I felt the same way when I saw fighting that Seraph guy. I remembered you from somewhere, but I couldn't think of the exact place until you told me. Oh, Kagome, I'm so sorry about your mom and dad. They were good people, they didn't deserve to die."

"I missed you so much, Inu."

"Me too."

They walked out of the bedroom, looking for Miroku to tell him the news. The apartment was empty, except for a small note on a billboard in the kitchen. Miroku and Sango decided to go get pizza instead of ordering take out, they would be back in a while. Inuyasha sat on the couch, Kagome in his lap. He started playing with the medallion he had given her when she promised to be his forever. There was an impression of a dog howling at the moon, his family's symbol. He smiled softly.

"You kept your promise." he said.

"I did....... Did you?" she asked, a little afraid of the answer.

"Of course, I did," he laughed. "You're the only girl for me, Kag."

"Why did you become a vampire slayer?" she asked, resting her head on his chest while he played with her hair.

"My parents were also killed by the hands of Naraku." he said bitterly. Kagome shot up and looked at him, her hand covering her mouth.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry."

"Me, too. I guess they decided to end the deal both ways, but I wasn't there when it happened, so Naraku didn't get the chance to finish me off, seeing as I was going to be the next demon lord. I thought that becoming a vampire slayer would be the easiest way to hunt Naraku down, that's how I met Sango. And after what he did to you, I've got more reason than ever to show him no mercy." He hugged Kagome close and whispered. "Will you promise me something?" he asked.

"What?"

"Promise me that you won't leave again. Promise that you'll stay with me forever."

"I already have, so yes."

They settled into a comfortable silence until Miroku and Sango returned with the pizza. Miroku stopped dead in his tracks and gaped at the sight of his baby sister in the arms of practically a stranger.

"Kagome," he cried. "How could you? After you promised that demon boy...." he sputtered.

"Miroku, calm down." Kagome said, laughing. "Look closely." Miroku stared at Inuyasha for a while and at the necklace around Kagome's neck. Then his eyes widened in shock.

"No way... Inuyasha, of course. I can't believe I didn't recognize you before. Oh man!"

Inuyasha laughed and rose from the couch, reaching to shake Miroku's hand.

"Good to see you too, we were sure you guys were dead." he replied.

"Nope still alive and kicking." Inuyasha looked at Miroku more closely.

"Miroku, you don't look like you've aged a day, it's been many years you should close to thirty. I mean, I'm immortal, and I understand how Kagome's immortal, but your still human aren't you?" he asked completely confused.

"Aging spell, he's not immortal." Kagome sighed. Sango looked confused during the entire conversation. Kagome laughed and grabbed her new friend by the arm.

"It's a long story, I'll tell you over pizza."

(A/N: End of Chapter Two. You like it? Not too confusing huh? Well, let's just say that Inuyasha and Kagome are destined to be together okay. Well, rr)