InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Only Half ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(A/N: Yeah, I'm finally updating, can you believe I already had writer's block on the second chapter. That's sad, but I'm back. So here is the next chapter....and I don't own Inuyasha, if I did I would get rid of Kikyo for good.)

Chapter One

It was almost midnight before I finally had convinced Miroku to start heading back to the apartment. It wasn't that I was tired, even though that was what I claimed, I just had to get rid of my brother. As we walked back my mind kept straying back to the previous hours before we left.

I had returned home from many endless hours at the high school registering Miroku and I up for senior class. It had been said that members of the Brotherhood had been seen wandering around the Kemaiya High campus grounds.

The Brotherhood is a band of ruthless full vampires that work for my greatest rival, Naraku. He is the one who stole my mortal soul all those years ago, I'll make him pay. When I found out he was the leader of this gang of vamps, I made sure that I was two steps ahead of them. The group mainly consists of teenagers and young adults, making school grounds perfect places for them to blend in. The only way Miroku and I would get close enough to find out more information about Naraku would be to attend high school ourselves.

That's right, I was going to school...Again. I was going to be a senior...Again. Honestly, I've done the same classes so many time, I could be absent every day and still make the high honor roll. I've must have done senior year at least seven times, and yet I still haven't been able to stick around long enough to get a diploma.

Miroku was the smart one, at least he finished college so he could become my legal guardian, and I wouldn't be shipped off to an orphanage. He could probably become a doctor or a lawyer or get some other high paying job like that, but he doesn't need to. Actually, he'll never have to get a job, since we live off the inheritance left by our parents. And let me tell you, it would take fifty lifetimes to make that stock run out, so I think we're pretty much set.

In fact, the apartment is actually Miroku's, although I'm not paying rent or nothing. I've actually got my own place paid in full, but I haven't been there in a while. Miroku had refused to let any damn orphanage send me to a foster home just because I'm seventeen.

Well, that's a lie, in truth I should be twenty four by now, but I haven't aged a day ever since... that night. I still don't like to talk about it, it makes me too angry and ashamed. The fact is, now that my human soul is gone, I'm immortal, and since I was seventeen when I turned into a half vamp, I'll stay seventeen for a very, very, very long time.

That's probably a big reason why I'm so willing to take as many risks as I do when I'm fighting a vampire, I'm not afraid of dying. I am afraid for Miroku though for he is not truly immortal. He found a spell that made him age at the same way I did, not at all. He's been twenty one for as long as I have been seventeen. That is another reason why I love him, he was willing to give up a normal life span in order to stay with me and protect me. But that doesn't change the fact that he is still vulnerable to the slightest attack. He could easily die by the hand of a vampire, he can't heal the same way I can. That's why I had to get rid of him tonight... I couldn't let him risk his life for me when he doesn't have to. Again my mind drifted towards when I got home that afternoon...


FLASHBACK

I collapsed on the couch and turned on the TV. I couldn't believe how tiring standing in an office for four hours could make you. Miroku had yet to return home from the gym, that meant that I wouldn't be eating dinner for some time. Dang!! I was about to fall asleep when I heard a sharp knock at the door.

"That's odd," I thought aloud as I got up. Usually, when someone wanted to see us, they would have to use the buzzer outside of the complex, otherwise there would be no way for them to get inside. Unless the visitor was a member of the building, which was highly unlikely. There were only two other occupied apartments in the building, one on the floor underneath us and one on the top. I hadn't made the best impression on them when we first moved into the place. I had assembled the stereo first thing and started blasting rock music while Miroku and I unpacked. Needless to say, our new neighbors didn't really appreciate that, and were quite hesitant on allowing a young man and a teenage girl to live in an apartment alone without an adult guardian, even though Miroku was in fact my guardian and an adult.

That's the down part of being seventeen forever. I mean, sure I get to be a lively teenager for the rest of my life but I'll never be able to live on my own without a legal guardian. What is that? I'm gonna be stuck with Miroku for the rest of my life... and I'm pretty dang sure that no sane guy is willing to spend the rest of their days with a hyperactive teen, not like I really want to be married to some who will end up being fifty years older than me. Yeah, being immortal really hurts your social life. It's not like I really mind living with Miroku though, he's really cool except when he tries to turn into dad.

I went to the front door and looked through the one way spy hole. To my surprise, the hallway was completely empty. I thought of the possibility of a child playing a practical joke, but there were no other kids in the building, Miroku and I were the youngest. I opened the door, but left the chain in place, just in case. I still couldn't see anyone through the small opening and decided that it was nothing, until a small white envelope under the doormat caught my eye. I closed the door, slid off the chain, and reopened the door fully. The envelope was plain, there was no stamp, no return address, it was simply labeled to Kagome. I picked it up, looked through the empty hallway once again, and then reentered the apartment.

I sat on the couch and turned the TV off and debated whether or not I should wait for Miroku before opening the letter. I weighed the options and decided to open it without him, I mean what harm could a little piece of paper do? I carefully ripped the back and took out the folded piece of notebook paper. The handwriting was messy and hardly readable, but the message was clear:

My Dear Kag-

I wish to finish where are last battle left off. This time leave the mortal at home. Midnight.

-Seraph-

Seraph. Where had I heard that name before? Suddenly the picture of a young vampire with short, brown, spiked hair and cold blue eyes appeared in my mind. He had picked a fight with me nearly a year ago in the old cemetery five blocks from the apartment. It had been an accident really. He was trying to get a late night meal, I had merely been the target. He had been a lot tougher than I had anticipated and had nearly speared me with an old gate bar until Miroku decided to step in and save my butt once again. Did I ever say how much I love that guy? Any way, the fight lasted until dawn, much to Serpah's dismay. He disappeared quickly but not before shouting that he would come back to finish me off. Looks like he was ready to collect on his deal.

I had closed the letter and put it behind the couch throw pillow just as Miroku walked through the door. I decided not to tell him about the letter, I could handle Seraph on my own, he didn't need to risk getting hurt.

END FLASHBACK


In fifteen minutes it would be midnight, I had to get rid of Miroku fast. The apartment came into view a few blocks ahead of us, it was the only chance I had. I took off one of my silver rings and placed it silently in my pocket. I then forced a quick gasp which made Miroku turn to me quickly.

"What is it?" he asked, concerned something was wrong. I grinned apologetically and sighed.

"Sorry, Miroku but I must have dropped one of my rings back there. Why don't you go back on home and I'll see if I can find it." `I'm such a good actor,' I thought. Miroku only looked at me suspiciously and raised an eyebrow. `Shoot, guess not.'

"Really, Miroku it's fine. Just go one back without me, okay." He looked hesitant but finally nodded his head.

"Okay, don't be gone to long. We've got to start school in the morning." he said. I made a face.

"Ugh, don't remind me. I won't be gone long, I promise."

"All right. Don't get into too much trouble, you hear?" he said playfully and started to walk to the apartment. I only waved and ran in the other direction, back towards the cemetery we had passed not too long ago, shocked that Miroku actually believed that I would care that much about a stupid piece of silver.


Where is he? I thought as wandered around the endless number of tombs and gravestones. It was 12:15, Miroku was sure to be getting suspicious by now. Seraph had made the plan to have the rematch, and now he wasn't going to show up. How stupid is that? Just the I heard a snap of a twig behind me, and my heart rate doubled. I quickly jumped to the roof of one of the tombs (A/N: I don't know what you really call them, but they are those small buildings that are in the back of cemeteries and the doors are bolted shut so you can't break into them. Well, they're just tombs in this story.) and laid there, searching for any sign of movement.

I felt ridiculous, I had never jumped away from anyone before, not even Naraku, and now I was hiding from something I couldn't even see. But I couldn't help it, something just didn't seem right about the night. I had a feeling that something bad was going to happen during the fight, something that I wouldn't like. It also may have been the fact that I was surrounded by...ah, I can't even say it, it's so embarrassing, not even my brother knows my secret fear. And I don't plan on telling anybody.

Minutes passed I still couldn't see anything that would make a branch snap in half. I was about to dismiss the sound when I heard it again. I was coming from directly in front of me, but there was a large gravestone in my way and I couldn't see anything. That's when a boy of about Miroku's age wandered out. He had long silver hair, claws on his hands, and small dog ears sticking out from the top of his head. He was wearing black cargo pants, a red tanktop, and a black leather jacket. I knew right away that he was a dog-demon. I knew that demons and humans had made a truce years ago, so he probably wasn't out for me. I had heard that some demons were also vampire slayers. I didn't know why this guy was here but I wasn't going to jump to any conclusions..

Maybe he was the reason my nerves were acting up lately. I had only ever gotten really close to one special demon, until Naraku came into the picture. Then I had never seen him again. Sure there were demons at all the schools, but I rarely stuck around long enough to make good friends. I wasn't there for social reasons, it was my job. I was shocked to find that I couldn't tear my gaze away from the mysterious boy, as soon as I saw his golden, amber eyes, I felt as though I had been hypnotized. But that soon ended when I saw a very familiar vampire with brown spiked hair coming dangerously close to the dog-boy's neck. I don't know what exactly possessed me at that moment, but a fierce fire started to burn in my heart. And before I knew it I was standing straight up on the roof of the tomb and launching one of my silver daggers straight at Seraph's heart.


INUYASHA'S POV

I couldn't find Sango anywhere. I couldn't believe, I take my eyes off that girl for one second and she's gone. Stupid girl. I still don't know why we came out here to the middle of this abandoned cemetery, but Sango had insisted that she could sense a vampire close by. I couldn't lie because I could sense it too. That and a feeling that something very strange was going to happen tonight. I didn't have a clue what though.

I had been searching for my best friend for ten minutes now, leave it to Sango to get lost in a place like this. I was wandering toward the back of the cemetery and stepping on sticks the entire way. What a great way to try to sneak up on someone, no? Suddenly, I could feel someone breathing right next to my neck, and new immediately that my life was about to go way downhill. A vampire, a bloody vampire, had somehow snuck up behind me and was about to suck me dry. Man, I'm such an idiot sometimes. I've been a vampire slayer for ten years and yet one still manages to get the best of me. I closed my eyes tight and waited for the inevitable but was shocked to find that the bite never came. I opened my eyes and turned around to meet a strange sight.

There was indeed a vampire behind me, he was tall with brown spiked hair and lifeless blue eyes that seemed to cold for any creature. And sticking from his chest was the handle of a small dagger. I could tell it was silver by the way it was reacting with his skin. I looked to see where the blade had come from.

A girl who looked a few years younger than me jumped down from the roof of one of the tombs. She was wearing blue jeans with rips in the knees and a denim jacket. Her hair was a silky black that shone in the moonlight and her eyes were a mixture of gray and blue. Not the same as the vampire's eyes I had just seen, her eyes sparkled with life and fire. I could tell that this girl was very much alive. I soon realized that I was staring at her, but I couldn't help it, I was couldn't tear my gaze off her. She was unlike anyone I had ever seen, if I didn't know any better, I could have sworn she could have been an angel, one who had just saved my life.

She walked over to the vampire who was now on the ground, clutching at the knife in his chest. She cocked her head to the side and crossed her arms over her waist, grinning slightly.

"That's what you get trying to fit in a late night snack before a fight." she said mockingly. I liked the sound of her voice, I was soothing and yet playful. The vampire started to laugh quietly.

"Ah, Kag, so you decided to show up after all." he said trying to pull the blade out.

"I should be saying the same thing. I've been waiting for almost half an hour, you're the on who finally decided to show his face." she replied. She quickly grabbed the handle of the bloody knife and yanked it out forcefully, causing the vampire to gasp in pain.

"Oh, Seraph, look what you did. Now I'll have to wash it when I get home." she said, wiping the blade clean with a handkerchief. Then she turned to me and smiled.

"Hey, I'm sorry if I startled you back there. Just didn't want the life to get drained out of you, ya know." she laughed. I could only nod dumbly. I was at a loss for words, she was even more beautiful close up. Kag, was that her name? The vampire she called Seraph stood up.

"Well then Kagome, you've had you target practice. Are you ready for the real deal?" he asked, smirking confidently. Kagome, it was very familiar. Old memories flooded through my mind of a time long ago, a girl I had fallen in love with. A girl I was still searching for to this day.

"If you're trying to say that you think you're a threat to me, then you're only fooling yourself." She turned to me again. "You may want to get out of here, things aren't going to get very pretty."

"Oh come on, Kag," the vampire mocked. "Let the boy stay and watch. I'm sure he'd be thrilled to see the world's so called `greatest vampire slayer' get defeated in less than five minutes. Come on, what have you go to say half-vamp?" he finished acting as if the last word was poison to his tongue.

Half-vamp? A slayer? Who was this girl? Was she really about to take on this vampire all by herself? Oh, hell no, I'd be crazy if I let a kid like her do that. But before I could say anything, her eyes glared dangerously at the laughing vampire. She flexed her hands at her sides and growled.

"Oh, no you didn't!!" she said in a low voice. Suddenly she lunged at Seraph, who was taken by surprise at her rash action? I had to admit that the girl had spunk, but did she really know what she was doing? I decided to wait a while before I became Mr. Hero, I wanted to see what she could no.

Man, could she ever move. Seraph tried again and again to punch her to the ground but he missed every time and would always receive a fist in the face in return. This went on for about five minutes, I couldn't help but be impressed. Kagome obviously knew what she was doing. Maybe she was a good vampire slayer. I felt myself becoming mesmerized by her looks again. No matter how much I didn't no couldn't admit it, I could tell I was starting to get a crush on her. But we could only be friends, nothing more. I already promised another, one who I love very much.

It wasn't long before Seraph decided that he was getting tired of the games. He suddenly pulled out long sword and began swinging towards her waist, threatening to cut her in two. My eyes widened in shock and a little concern, he had an unfair advantage on her, there was no way she could win. Seraph must have seen my expression because he began smirking evilly. Before I could react , he leaped towards me, aiming the blade right at my heart. I was too stunned to move.

I waited for the pain to come, but it never arrived. Kagome jumped in front of me and blocked it with two of her small daggers. The sword was just inches away from her throat and was beginning to close the gap under the pressure. With all the force she had, Kagome thrust her arms upward, causing the blade to fly from Seraph's grasp.

Did she just protect me? Again? I asked myself. I was truly amazed at how much courage and strength this small girl had, even grossly outmatched. Seraph's eyes widened with a slight fear, but he quickly masked them and smiled.

"Cute trick, Kaggie. But you won't always be able to protect your little boyfriend." he snarled. Kagome's eyes flashed again, and she stuck the two daggers back in her belt. She quickly pulled out a small pistol and aimed it at the vampire.

"Don't call me, Kaggie!!!" she yelled and started to pull the trigger.

"KAGOME HIGURASHI, WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?" cried a voice from behind us. Kagome's shoulders tensed and she released the trigger. All three of us stared at the new guy in shock. He seemed to be the same age as me and he looked as mad as hell. I saw Sango coming up beside him, she looked just as confused as I was.

"Oh no..." I heard Kagome groan as she smiled nervously. "Hey, Miroku! What's up?" Miroku narrowed his eyes and glared.

"Don't `What's up' me, kid. What the heck do you think your doing?" he held up a small piece a paper that looked like a letter. Kagome paled slightly.

"Ooh....Busted!!" she said.

"You bet you are!!"

Suddenly, Seraph attacked Kagome from behind, tackling her to the ground. She gave him a sharp kick in the stomach and escaped his grasp. Pretty sure that she could take care of herself for a while, I headed up towards Sango and Miroku. I smiled at my friend and turned to the guy.

"Umm... If you don't mind me asking, what the heck is going on here?" I asked bluntly, trying to solve some of my confusion. Sango nodded. Miroku smiled kindly at us and began to explain.

"My name is Miroku, and that over there is my baby sister is Kagome," he started and then turned at the fighting duo. "WHO IS GOING TO BE SO GROUNDED WHEN I GET A HOLD OF HER!!"

"I'M BUSY RIGHT NOW, LEAVE A MESSAGE AND I'LL GET BACK TO YA!!" Kagome retorted never once looking away from her opponent who had managed to get a hold of his sword once again. He took a large swing at her, and she easily dodged.

"HA, HA! YOU MISSED!!" she taunted, making the vampire even more ticked off.

I started to laugh softly and urged Miroku to continue. His name was familiar too, I kept getting this feeling like I had known these two strangers all my life. Maybe I did. I don't remember too many things before the last seven years.

"You see, my sister and I are vampire slayers. Sango has told me that you and she are too. That's very convenient. The vampire over there right now is Seraph, he picked a fight with Kag about a year ago but they never got to finish their fight, since dawn had been approaching. I'm pretty sure that he will regret it before the night ends, if he lives that long." Miroku shook his head and watched as the two continued fighting. Seraph seemed to be tiring out fast while Kagome appeared fully charged, not even breaking a sweat.

"And is it true that she is a... half-vamp?" I asked softly. Miroku looked at me curiously. Then he shrugged.

"That's not my place to tell you. If Kag wants to explain her story, then I'll let her do it." he replied simply. Suddenly we heard a cry of pain and we watched as Seraph collapsed on the ground in shock. Kagome was making her way toward us, smiling innocently.

"No way, kid. Your still in a lot of trouble." Miroku said firmly. She rolled her eyes. He continued, glancing at me. "So is this your new boyfriend?"

I blushed slightly at the thought, but thankfully no one could tell from the dark night. Kagome sighed.

"Very funny. I see you met a new girl, have you behaved yourself?" she asked.

"Well..."

"Hardly" Sango snorted, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Miroku, your never going to get a girl that way. Hey I'm Kagome what's your name?"

"Sango. Your fighting is really impressive."

"Thank you." Then she turned to me. "Sorry, I don't think I've asked you what your name is yet."

"Inuyasha." I said shaking her hand. She smiled.

"Oh, sorry about you almost getting impaled by a sword back there, you always seem to get caught in the middle of my fight."

"Um, no problem." Miroku started smiling.

"So Kag, you actually saved somebody. Wow, Inuyasha, I think my sister may actually have a thing for you." he said, laughing loudly. Kagome blushed and hit her brother on the arm, hard.

"See if I ever save your butt next time." she hissed.

"Fat chance, seeing as it's usually the other way around."

"Yeah right." We all started laughing, almost as if we had known each other our whole lives. Kagome and I caught each other's gaze accidentally, and stayed that way for a few minutes. I couldn't believe how pretty her eyes were. I could spend hours just looking at them, unfortunately, someone had different plans. Seraph was back on his feet and looking as pissed as ever. Kagome had just ditched their fight as if he were no threat what so ever.

"Yo, Kag. We ain't finished yet." he snarled.

"Oh, give it up Seraph. There's no way you can beat me." Kagome said, looking slightly bored. She walked towards and stopped a twenty feet in front of him. He started laughing like a mad man.

"We'll see about that!!!" he cried and sprinted towards her, sword ready to strike. She grabbed the pistol out of her jacket, aimed it at the vampire's head, and pulled the trigger. Nothing happened.

"What?! Damn it." she said, turning her attention away from the charging vampire and to the malfunctioning weapon. My heart beat was out of control

"KAGOME!!!" I cried, that was familiar too. Seraph was inches away.

"Huh? WHOA!!" she yelled and dropped to the ground grabbing a dagger in the process and jamming it in Seraph's heart. He fell to the ground coughing up blood before finally disappearing all together. Kagome was still sitting on the ground, stunned. Then she glared at the fallen pistol, as if trying to blame everything on it.

"Kagome, what did you do? That's the second one this month!!" Miroku cried.

"I didn't do anything. I haven't even used it yet. This is all Kouga's fault." she replied. I ran to her side and started to look for any injuries.

"Are you okay, Kagome?" I asked, thoroughly concerned.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine." she said softly. She smiled at me and I smiled back. She got to her feet and then immediately gasped in pain, clutching her stomach. I grabbed her shoulders and steadied her asking her what was wrong. She removed her arms and I could see a dark red line growing across her white shirt, Seraph had managed to hurt her. I picked her up in my arms and walked back over to Sango and Miroku.

"Inuyasha? What are you doing? Put me down, I'm just fine," she said.

"No, your not fine." I replied.

"It's just a scratch."

"No, it isn't. So stop fussing." I said firmly, and she did. Miroku and Sango only looked at us and smiled. Kagome glared at her brother.

"Shut up!"

"Aww, but you two are so cute." he said mockingly. Kagome scowled and crossed her arms, which only caused her to gasp in pain.

"Stop moving around." I laughed. She scowled some more, but stopped squirming. I walked her back to her apartment which was amazingly not that far away from my own place. I lived in another apartment building a few blocks away from theirs. While Miroku and Sango ordered take out, I took Kagome to her bedroom to take care of her wound. She started to protest, saying that it was no big deal, but I had already left to go get bandages from the bathroom. When I came back, I was shocked to find that the bleeding had not only stopped but the wound was completely healed, only a small trace of a scar. She looked down into her lap, almost like she was ashamed.

"I guess you kind of want an explanation, huh?" she asked softly.

I nodded and sat down on the bed next to her. She took a deep breath and began her story...

(A/N: So much longer than the prologue. Did you like it? Well it's late and I need sleep? I'll update soon I swear... RR!! )