InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Only Half ❯ Chapter Fifteen ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Dude, I lied!!! I promised, no more long waits for chapters I know, but I have absolutely no time to write anymore. School work and practice have taken over my life. But I only have a week left of marching band, sad and yet relieving. But now I have jazz auditions in nine days....and I haven't practiced yet!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *hides in a corner* Oh yeah, I don't Inuyasha, or any other things that I might have written in this story that I "borrowed" from other....things. Ummmm....I'm confusing myself. Okay, on with the story...009

Chapter Fifteen

Kagome sighed as she sat in the back of her truck, tightening the ropes that were strapped around Inuyasha's bike so they wouldn't loose it on the freeway. That job done, she hopped down to the ground and leaned against the passenger side door, waiting for a certain half demon to appear. It was six in the morning and the sun was just starting to peak out above the horizon. Soon, Inuyasha and her would be heading back to New York, back to her brother and best friend. She had planned for them to leave earlier, but it was proving to be a more difficult task that she anticipated.

The more time she spent here, the more Kagome realized that she didn't really want to go back to New York. She didn't want to go back to fighting Naraku and his gang of vampires. Back to the endless nights of tossing and turning, doubts and worries plaguing her thoughts. Back to fighting for her very survival on a regular basis.

Things were just so much simpler here on the ranch. Here, there was no Naraku....well, aside from last night of course. Kagome had never really been a city kid. That was more Miroku's department. He loved the night life and the business of the downtown areas. She just...didn't. In all actuality, large crowds kind of made her claustrophobic. She had always been somewhat of a loner. That's why she didn't really mind living out here by herself, of course she loved being with Inuyasha even more, but being alone suited her just fine.

Maybe, she should just stay. She was really was more human than she was vampire. Besides, even if she did become human once again, she would still have an immortal life span now that she was Inuyasha's mate. And she was much stronger as a half-vamp, Inuyasha wouldn't have to waste his time protecting her. Well, there was the new moon, of course, but it was only for one night. And her vampire side never seemed to appear when Inuyasha slept by her, maybe everything could be under control.

But...., she could never really have eternal piece until she dealt with Naraku once and for all. He knew where she lived. If she stayed, he could easily send another army of vampires and demons right to her doorstep when she least expected it. She just couldn't risk having a thousand loaded guns aimed right at her head on a new moon night, or any other night for that matter. No, for her sake and Inuyasha's, they had to get out here. At least, for now.

Inuyasha came out of the house with both of their duffle bags and threw them in the back seat of the pick up. He then walked over to Kagome and hugged her.

"You ready to go?" he asked softly, his chin resting on the top of her head. Kagome smiled as she leaned against his chest.

"Uh huh," she replied and handed him the keys before climbing into the truck. Inuyasha got into the driver's seat, started the engine, and drove out of the driveway onto the two way highway. Kagome watched the side view mirror as the house seemed the move farther and farther away. Jeff, her hired hand, would arrive there late in the afternoon. By then, Kagura would have realized they were gone and would leave, there would be no danger for him.

Inuyasha could tell that Kagome was slighty hesitant to go back. In all honesty, he didn't want to leave either. He much rather preferred to be here in Colorado than back in New York. There were too many people there and it was too loud for his sensitive hearing. And of course, the ever constant threat of Naraku was always haunting his mind. He had already failed in protecting Kagome once. What if it happened again? What if he lost her...for good? He couldn't imagine a life without her. No, he would make sure Naraku never got the chance to kill her.

He glanced over at Kagome, who was staring out the window at the passing scenery. He grasped her slender hand in his clawed one, lacing their fingers. Kagome smiled and shook her head in amusement. It wasn't long until the humming of the passing road lulled the girl into a soft sleep. Inuyasha smiled as he unbuckled her seatbelt and pulled her over to his side of the seat, resting her head on his shoulder. With one hand on the wheel, he wrapped his other arm tightly around her waist and kissed her forehead before returning his gaze to the road.

Nope, Naraku wasn't even going to lay a finger on his girl. No way in hell.

*************************************************************** ***************

"So, where are we going again?" asked a eleven-year-old Inuyasha from the backseat of his parents' car. His arms were crossed in an impatient manner. His mother sighed from the passenger seat and shook her head.

"We're having dinner with the Higurashi's. You remember, dear, mommy and daddy's friends. They've been wanting to met you." The young hanyou frowned in thought, before nodding his head.

"Those are the human people you and dad are working with to make a peace t.....uh...tr?" Mrs. Taisho smiled.

"Peace treaty, honey. Yes, that's right. Did you know the Higurashi's have two kids?"

"Really?"

"Yep," Mr. Taisho nodded. "A boy named Miroku whose around your age, and a girl named Kagome."

"Now, remember," his mother warned as they pulled into the driveway of a large, white house. "She two years younger than you, so you need to be nice."

"Yes, mom." They got out of the car, headed up to the front door, and rang the bell. A few seconds later, it opened to reveal a young girl with back hair in a small ponytail and pretty blue eyes.

"Hello, Kagome."

"Hi, Mr. and Mrs. Taisho. Mom and dad are in the kitchen." Kagome responded as she let the family inside. Kagome's mother came into the living room, smiling.

"Hello, welcome."

"Thank you for inviting us." Mrs. Taisho replied, hugging her friend.

"Oh, it was no trouble. The kids have been looking forward to this all day. And who is this?" Mrs. Higurashi asked, referring to the young boy standing a fair distance away by his father.

"This is our son, Inuyasha." Mrs. Higurashi smiled.

"Hello, Inuyasha."

"Hi."

"Kagome? Why don't you take Inuyasha outside? I think Miroku's already out there." Kagome smiled and nodded to her mother. She then walked over, took Inuyasha by the hand, and led him towards the back door. He look surprised at first, but then smiled shyly, a small blush on his face and he grasped her hand in return.

"Aww, isn't that sweet?"

**********

A 18-year-old Inuyasha shifted nervously as he fingered the cool metal that rested in his pocket. He was waiting outside the high school for his girlfriend, Kagome. They had been dating for the past three years and, just as his mother predicted, he had fallen in love with the girl. Which was the main reason why he was so nervous.

Finally, a 16-year-old Kagome walked out o the auditorium entrance way, a bag hanging from her shoulder. She dressed in a black long-sleeve shift and black dress pants. She was a percussionist in the school's wind ensemble, and they had just finished their fall concert. Inuyasha had been to everyone one.

He smiled and gave her a quick kiss before leading her to his car. He placed her drum bag in the backseat before turning back to face her. He grabbed her hands in his, leaned against the door, and took a deep breath.

"Kagome, there's something I want to ask you." he said. She just smiled, uncertainly.

"Okay." The wind blew strands of hair into her face, which he pushed back behind her ears.

"Kag...I...I'm...I love you. I love you...so much. I don't know what I'd do if I ever lost you. You mean everything to me. I know that we're just dating, but I hoped that maybe...you might feel the same." She looked surprised. Heck, she looked shocked. What if she didn't love him? What was he thinking? She'll hate him for sure, now.

"I love you too," came a soft reply, interrupting Inuyasha's troubling thoughts.

"You...you do?"

"Yeah. I do...a lot.." She added, smirking. Inuyasha grinned, swept her up in his arms, and kissed her hard. After they parted, he reached into his pocket.

"There's something else I want to ask you." He pulled out a gold medallion with a white dog howling at the moon. It was his family's symbol. "Promise that you'll never leave me? Promised that you'll stay with me?" Kagome smiled and kissed him.

"I promise." He slipped the medallion around her neck, opened the passenger door for her, and drove off.

********

"Inuyasha?" called his teary eyed mother as she entered the family room. He looked away from the TV, and frowned.

"What's wrong, mom?" he asked, concerned.

"Oh, honey, they're dead. Mr. and Mrs. Higurashi are dead, they were murdered last night." she cried. Inuyasha shot off the couch.

"What about Kagome?" His mother looked hesistant, as tears poured down her face. "Where is she?"

"I'm so sorry. Both Kagome and miroku have gone missing, the police suspect they weer killed too. I'm sorry. She's gone....." The image of his mother faded away into nothingness as a deeper voice filled the air.

"You can't save her, Inuyasha. Kagome is mine. I will kill her...." Suddenly, an image of Kagome appeared. A gunshot came out of nowhere and struck her in the back, right over her heart. She fell to the ground, and vanished without a trace.

*************************************************************** **************

"NO!!!!" Inuyasha shouted as he shot up in his seat, only to be flung back by the seatbelt. He was in the truck, it had all been a nightmare. Well, actually all of it had been memories of his past. When he first met Kagome, going steady, and finally when he thought he lost her forever. But the end? The words were still ringing through his head, Naraku's voice. But it was just a dream, he needed to calm down.

He looked at the digital clock. One in the afternoon, day two of their four day road trip. He and Kagome had switched places last night so he could get some sleep. It was then he realized that the truck wasn't moving, and he was the only one in it.

"Kagome?!" he yelled, as he jumped out of the car. They were stopped at a res stop in Iowa, according to the guide signs. He couldn't see Kagome anywhere and with his nightmare still livid in his mind, he was beginning to panic. Finally, he spotted her. He smiled in relief and sprinted towards her. Kagome was sitting cross-legged on top of a picnic table a road map of Iowa spread in front of her, a bottle of Pepsi and an open bag of M&M's at he side.

"Hmm....you'd think by now I'd know where I was going," she mumbled. Suddenly, two arms were wrapped around her body and she was yanked backwards into a strong chest. Inuyasha was hugging her like a lifeline, his face buried in the crook of her neck. He had her so tight, Kagome was kind of having a hard time breathing.

"Inuyasha? What's wrong? Are you okay?" There was no response. Instead, he sat on top of the table, pulled Kagome into his lap, and continued to hold her. Now, she was beyond confused. It was as if he thought she was going to disappear at some time? What had happened to make him act this way? With most of her strength, she turned herself around so she could look him in the face.

"Inu, what happened? Come on, you know you can tell me anything." she said gently, rubbing his back. He looked up at her, and relaxed.

"It's just....I had a dream."

"What kind of dream?"

"Well, at first it was fine. A lot of it was just memories from when were kids and stuff. But then, I saw the day when everyone thought you and Miroku had died. And then....you got shot." he finished shakily, his grip on her waist tightening with each breath.

"But baby, you've seen me get shot before. That's no reason to get upset."

"But this time, I think you....died." And then, a tear rolled down his cheek. Kagome's eyes widened. She had never seen Inuyasha cry, before. He buried his face in her shoulder once again, as more tears fell.

"Kagome, I'm scared. I don't want you to die, I don't want you to get killed by Naraku. My parents, your parents, everyone I knew was killed by him. I can't let him get you, too. I just can't." Kagome closed her eyes tight, her own tears threatening to fall. She wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged tightly and she tried to calm him down.

"Inuyasha, don't worry. It was just a nightmare, that's all. I'm not gonna die, I promise. Naraku is not gonna kill me. I'm not going anywhere. I love you, I'm not going to leave you. I promise. It's okay." After a few minutes, all the tears were gone, and they just sat together. Inuyasha looked around and spotted the map sitting next to him on the table.

"What's that?" he asked, amused. Kagome followed his eyes, grimaced, and kicked it off the table.

"Nothing."

"Nothing? Kagome, are you lost?"

"Noooo.....Leave me alone!!!!"

A/N: Well, what do you think? I know, it's been forever since I've updated this story. Hopefully, it's almost done and I can start on the sequel. Oh, guess what. I made it into the jazz ensemble, the highest group. I was worrying over nothing, heh. Thanks to all that cared. 009