InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Other Lives ❯ Prologue: Shattered Jewel ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Hi, and welcome to my very first fanfiction ever. Please review and let me know what you think!
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha.
 
 
Prologue: Shattered Jewel
 
The sun rose, and Inuyasha did not come. Kikyo glanced around her constantly, expecting to glimpse a flash of red and silver at any moment. The Jewel in her hand glowed white with the purity of the wish to come.
Was this what it meant to be in love, this feeling of reaching out blindly into empty space? She had grown so weak and tired. Now, at last, she would set down her burden and become human.
When Inuyasha came.
 
 
 
***
 
 
 
Why did Kikyo not come? Inuyasha scuffed a bare foot back and forth in the dirt. They should do this quickly, he thought. The longer he waited, the more he would doubt. All his life, he had hated his human side. Once a month, when his claws disappeared and his strength withered, he hid himself away.
But to be a human would not be the same as to be a half-demon with a human night. He would be able to stop fighting. There would be nothing to flee, and nothing to strive for.
Because he would have Kikyo. When she came, any moment now, he would take her white hand in his clawed one, and they would make the wish. They would be together forever. They would live in peace, not as a half-demon and priestess, but as a man and woman.
 
 
 
***
 
 
 
Absorbed in her thoughts, Kikyo did not hear the footsteps until they had reached her. She saw red cloth out of the corner of her eye, and her heart soared. Her lips began to lift in one of her rare smiles.
"Inuyasha--"
Savage claws ripped into her shoulder. Blood sprayed every which way. She toppled, still clutching the Jewel.
"As if I would ever become human." There was something chilling in that voice—pure loathing, such as she had never heard before, and mockery.
His foot stamped down on her outstretched hand. She felt the bones snap, and her fingers go limp.
"Thanks for the Sacred Jewel, though."
She felt its purified light turn black at his touch.
"Now I just have to make it devour more blood. I think I'll go slaughter the villagers. Good-bye."
Kikyo clutched at her shoulder. This was the love she had earned, by loving a monster, and by being one herself. These were the wedding caresses she deserved, for seeking to avoid her fate.
She had paid the price for her foolishness, but she could not allow others to suffer. Heedless of the blood dripping onto the ground, Kikyo struggled to her feet, using her bow as a support. She had to stop the half-demon before he harmed the villagers and corrupted the Jewel past purification.
She remembered walking along this path with Inuyasha beside her. Was it really possible that his shy, awkward behavior had come from a rotten heart? How could it all have been an act?
She touched bloodstained fingers to her lips. Golden eyes seemed to stare at her from behind every tree, angry and accusing.
 
 
 
***
 
 
 
The arrow that whizzed past his head would have hit him squarely in the back if he hadn't heard it coming. He turned, and ducked to avoid being struck by another. He was overcome with horror as he gazed at his attacker.
"Kikyo--" he pleaded.
"As if I would let a filthy half-demon like yourself have the Sacred Jewel! Die, Inuyasha!" Her voice was icy as she nocked another arrow to her bow. A mocking smile tugged at her crimson lips.
He fled, becoming a red blur between the trees.
Kikyo did not love him. She had never loved him. The warmth he had glimpsed in her eyes had been nothing but a lie. She had never felt anything for him but hate.
If the world would always hate him, he would find no sanctuary. He must become strong. He must become a full demon.
He burst into the hut, claws bared. The fool priestess had left the Sacred Jewel there, planning to kill him all along!
How had she managed to feign the compassion in her voice? Why hadn't she killed him long ago, instead of toying with him week after week? She really was an icy bitch. He wouldn't let her near him again. He had learned his lesson about humans!
Grinning like a maniac, he seized the Jewel. It smelled of Kikyo's blood.
"Inuyasha?" asked a wavering voice. Leaning against the wall was a young girl with a bandage wrapped around her head to cover a wounded eye. "What's wrong, Inuyasha? Have you seen my sister?" She stumbled towards him. Fear was written across her face, but not of him.
He gave a low growl. How could he harm a child who trusted him? Well, humans all grew up rotten anyway, so it was no matter.
"Inuyasha, what happened to my sister? She went out with the Jewel and hasn't come back. Why do you have the Jewel?"
He shoved her away. Caught off guard, she fell to the floor with a cry.
"Kikyo tried to kill me!" he snarled. "She shot at me and called me a filthy half demon. So I'm gonna take the Jewel and become a full demon now! I've had enough of you humans!”
He dangled the Jewel in the air.
Kaede shook her head vigorously.
"Kikyo would never...she brought you the Jewel!"
"Did you lose your brains with that eye? Kikyo came to kill me and left the Jewel behind. You humans are all murderous bastards, even your precious sister." Why was he even arguing with the kid?
"No! She took the Jewel!" Kaede insisted, and began to weep. "She took the Jewel and went to give it to you. But you said...you came here to take it. Something must have happened. You have to help me." She grabbed his sleeve.
He sniffed the air. It was thick with the scent of Kikyo's blood. What the hell was going on? Was there some demon nearby, pursuing the Jewel?
"Look, I don't understand this, but something's wrong. Let's go." He lifted Kaede onto his back, and dashed out of the hut, determined to find an answer.
They found Kikyo where she had collapsed a little ways out of the village. A trail of blood stretched behind her, off into the forest.
Kaede let out a shriek and ran to her sister's side. She began tearing strips from her kimono and attempted to staunch the flow of blood from Kikyo's wounded shoulder, but the cloth was soon soaked through and the blood would not stop.
Kikyo's eyes fluttered open.
"I have to...stop him," she managed. Kaede glanced quickly at the half-demon
Inuyasha stood a few feet away, fists clenched. Here was the woman who had lied to him, and who had tried to kill him. Now she was lying here, weak and vulnerable. There was so much blood. He could tell that she was dying.
“Why?...” She took a shallow breath. “Why did you lie to me, and then....” She touched her shoulder with an already bloody hand.
His eyes opened wide. She thought that he had given her these wounds.
“Kikyo, I never…” he began. “I don't understand, but I never…why did you try to kill me?” Never at ease with words, he gazed at her pale face and tried to make her understand.
She coughed, and did not answer.
Loud, mocking laughter echoed all around them. Inuyasha leaped to his feet, while Kaede clung to her sister in terror.
“So,” said a rough, low voice. “It was almost too simple.”
From behind a tree stepped a tall figure clad in a white baboon pelt, his face hidden in shadow. A foul miasma surrounded him. Enraged, Inuyasha raised his claws, prepared to strike.
The creature only laughed again.
“This has proven most entertaining,” he said. “Unfortunately, the game is over. I will take the Jewel now, since you seem unable to destroy each other. A dying priestess and a feeble half-demon such as yourself cannot dare to offer resistance.” He moved towards them.
Inuyasha lunged, but the creature easily moved past him and plucked the Jewel from his hand. Instantly, he was out of reach again. Inuyasha charged again, but the creature again evaded, hardly seeming to move at all.
“Damn you!” the half-demon snarled. “This is your doing, then!”
“I won't deny it. You were easy to manipulate.”
The almost crazed half-demon flung himself at his opponent, struggling through the red haze that clouded his vision. Again and again, he failed to land a blow.
The creature held up the Jewel, which had become black-violet at his touch. Ignoring Inuyasha, he addressed the priestess.
“As you die, remember the name of Naraku.”
“No!” Kikyo cried. “We are not your pawns!” Somehow, she had risen to her feet, and stood there unsteadily, with a sacred arrow at the ready.
She fired, but her hands were shaking. The arrow struck the Jewel dead-on. There was a blinding flash of light, and a powerful explosion. Naraku let out a terrible cry. Colored streaks of light shot across the sky. When the light cleared, he was gone.
Kikyo fell to the ground.
When the light was gone, they found a large piece of the Jewel where Naraku had been. Its light seemed greatly diminished. Kaede brought it to her sister.
“Inuyasha, Kaede,” Kikyo whispered, “Burn this piece of the Jewel with my body. I do not know how much of it that Naraku now posesses, but he must never complete it.”
“No!” Kaede said. “Once you get better, we'll find the rest of it. We don't need to burn anything…” she trailed off. The time for pretending had passed. “We'll do as you say.”
“Leave us for a moment.”
Kaede nodded, and moved out of sight, rubbing her eyes with her sleeve. Inuyasha heard her burst into tears.
Kikyo looked almost peaceful, with her lips curved in a gentle smile.
“It was not to be, then.” Her voice was so soft even Inuyasha could barely hear it. “For me, love was…Farewell, Inuyasha…” There was so much left to say. Now it would remain forever unsaid.
“Is she…?” Kaede asked a short while later, when Inuyasha returned to the village with Kikyo in his arms.
Tenderly, he put her down, the piece of Jewel beside her.
“Be brave, Kaede,” he said. “I'll come back when my score with this Naraku is settled.”
Then he disappeared into the forest.