InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Painful Regrets ❯ Set the World on Fire ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Inuyasha and all characters belong to Rumiko Takahashi. I don't own them and make no money from this.

Author's note: This first chapter was originally posted to The Inuyasha Fanfic Contest on livejournal on January 10, 2012 for prompt #271 Aflame. It came in at 249 words. This is an expanded version, as I used it and a couple of other entries to tell a story.
--------------------------------

The small figure carefully and quietly approached his unsuspecting prey, careful not to disturb the girl still sleeping on the ground. Deciding he was close enough for his attack to reach it's target, he stopped and released his magic.

“Kitsune-B!”

The shout rang through the air, accompanied by a flash of green fire. But the target was prepared and leaped out of the way. Snarling, the enraged hanyou moved to intercept the little youkai.

But as Inuyasha's hands were nearly in reach he saw the horror reflected in the green eyes, horror not at his apparent fate but on something behind the hanyou. At the same time his ears twitched, instantly recognizing the voice that was beginning to scream. Inuyasha whirled around, and the kitsune was instantly forgotten at the sight before him.

Kagome, having awoken at the shout and ensuing growls, was frantically trying to free herself from her sleeping bag which had been set aflame by Shippou's foxfire. Suddenly a heavy weight landed on top of her. “Oomph,” she groaned as her eyes locked onto Inuyasha lying on top of her, trying to smother the flames. “Wha-,” she started to say, then they were rolling as the hanyou worked quickly to ensure that all of the flames were out.

Inuyasha worked frantically, well-protected from the flames by his fire-rat haori. But he knew the girl beneath him lacked the same protection. He paid no attention to his surroundings, his whole being concentrated on smothering the flames before Kagome could be harmed.

Once all of the flames were gone, Inuyasha stopped his frantic movements and just laid there, staring into Kagome's eyes. “You alright?” he asked, one hand grasping the remains of her sleeping bag and preparing to rip it open to check her for injuries.

She nodded but before she could reply another voice cut in.

“Are we interrupting?” Miroku asked, a lecherous gleam in his eyes as he stared down at the two of them, a blushing Sango beside him. Suddenly the sleeping bag wasn't the only thing in danger of being set aflame as two faces instantly reddened, their owners suddenly aware of what their position looked like with Inuyasha lying directly atop of a prone Kagome.



Converting /tmp/phpwB40PC to /dev/stdout