InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Painful Regrets ❯ Ashes of Regret ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Inuyasha and all characters belong to Rumiko Takahashi. I don't own them and make no money from this.

Author's note: This chapter was originally posted to IB4Y on livejournal on January 16, 2012 for I-Prompt 15B. It came in at exactly 500 words and won 3rd place. Like the previous chapter, this is an expanded version.
-----------------------------

Inuyasha quickly leaped up as Kagome tried to extricate herself from the remains of her sleeping bag, both stuttering out denials and proclamations of innocence to their amused friends. None of the four noticed as an upset kitsune hesitantly made his way to stand before the miko until he spoke.

“K-Kagome, I'm s-so s-sorry!” he managed before bursting into tears and moving to throw himself into her arms. He never made it as a red clad arm intercepted him, bringing him face to face with an enraged hanyou.

“You little bastard! Kagome coulda been hurt! I oughta-!”

“That's enough Inuyasha!” Kagome said, taking the sobbing kitsune from him. “It's okay Shippou-chan. I'm alright.” She rubbed his back as he began to calm down.

Sango and Miroku exchanged a look at the interaction, each knowing they had missed something. Deciding not to interfere just yet, they allowed themselves to fade into the background and listen in to learn more.

“It's not alright wench! He-!” Inuyasha cut himself off at her glare, settling for crossing his arms over his chest and glaring at the kitsune she held.

Satisfied with his response, Kagome turned her full attention to soothing Shippou. He looked up at her wide-eyed as he finally calmed. “You're not mad?”

“No, I'm not mad.” Seeing the relief in his eyes, followed by jubilation she had to continue. “However, I am extremely disappointed.”

Shippou lowered his gaze. “I'm sorry Kagome, I never meant to put you in danger.”

“I know but you have to realize that your actions have consequences. And why were you throwing your foxfire around to begin with?” She gave him a stern look. “I want you to stay here and think about what you did and what could have happened. Whether to me or Inuyasha if you had managed to hit him.” Kagome set him down and watched as he dejectedly made his way to the others.

Inuyasha's ears twitched at her words. 'Feh, like the brat had any chance of hitting me.' Still he could not help the pride that bubbled up in his chest as he realized that Kagome didn't think he would have been hit either. Still, he continued to glare at the retreating kitsune, wishing for once that Kagome would allow him to be punished. It's not like he didn't deserve it!

Turning to face a sulking Inuyasha, Kagome sighed in exasperation before grabbing his arm and dragging him away from camp. They didn't go far before he couldn't contain himself any longer.

“How can you let him get away unpunished?! Damn it, he could've hurt you!”

“But he didn't, because of you. I'm alright Inuyasha,” she reassured him. “And I'm not letting him get away with anything. We will be having a serious discussion once tempers have cooled and he has had a chance to reflect on his actions.”

“You're too soft. Brat needs a good thumping.” He leaned towards her, scowling. “You gotta let me punish him this time or he won't learn.”

A sad look settled on her face as she stared into the distance. “Haven't you ever done something you regretted? Something you wished you could take back?”

Inuyasha was struck first by the look on her face, then by her words as they touched something deep inside him. Regrets, yes he had plenty of them. Unable to speak, he merely nodded when she faced him.

“Then trust me when I say that Shippou is currently punishing himself worse than we ever could.”

Inuyasha sighed as he thought it over. His ears picked up the renewed sobs from the kitsune in the distance and he knew she was at least partially correct. “Fine, we'll try it your way. Come on, brat's getting himself worked up again.” He eyed her once more before leading her back to camp.


------------------------
The next, and currently last (unless I get inspired by another prompt) part of this story is written. Just waiting for voting to finish up (which unfortunately can take a few weeks) before I can post it here.



Converting /tmp/phpCIvFp5 to /dev/stdout