InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Painful Regrets ❯ The Silver Lining ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended. In other words, I don't own and I make no money from this.

This was originally posted to Inuyasha Fanfiction on January 29, 2012 for drabble #15 Regret. Won 2nd place. I meant to have this up last week but real life got in the way. Barring any further inspiration, this is the last part of this story.

Title: The Silver Lining
Author: ananova
Word Count: 500
Prompt: Regret
Genre: Friendship/Hurt/Comfort
Rating: T
Warnings: Minor bad language

Characters: Kagome,  Inuyasha
Summary: Inuyasha confronts Kagome about her regrets. Follows Set the World on Fire and Ashes of Regret.

-------------------------------------


He couldn't stop thinking about her words or the look on her face. What could Kagome possibly regret that would cause her so much pain? Time and time again he wondered, each time cringing at the thought that it might be being dragged to his time. She couldn't regret meeting him, could she?

After a week, Inuyasha could take it no longer. He leaped down from the tree he had been perched in, crouching next to the miko sitting by the fire. They were the only ones awake, a common occurrence since their last “discussion”. He had noticed her staying up late, staring into the fire, a pained look upon her face. “Kagome,” he started. “Can I talk to you?”

She gave him a small smile. “Of course, you know I'll always listen if you want to talk.”

Fidgeting, he sat beside her. “It's about last week.”

Her smile slowly dropped. “You're not still mad at Shippou, are you?”

“Nah, brat's been punished and he has been behaving.” A sigh escaped him. “No, I wanted to ask you about what you said. About regrets.”

Kagome stiffened, looking away. “I'm sorry Inuyasha, I didn't mean to bring up painful memories.”

“It's not about me wench. I-” Cutting himself off, he ran a hand through his hair before trying again. “Is it that you're here? Do you regret getting dragged through the well and meeting me?”

“What?” she gasped. “No! Never! I could never regret meeting you.”

Inuyasha saw the emotion in her eyes and knew her words were true. “Then why have you been so sad, so hurt? I don't like seeing you that way,” he admitted quietly.

Stunned by his admittance, Kagome knew she had to tell him the truth. “I could never regret meeting you,” she started. “But, I do regret shattering the jewel. All of those lives lost, because of my mistake. Their blood is on my hands.” She found herself unable to face him.

“That's bullshit!” Inuyasha grabbed her shoulders, forcing her to look at him. “You didn't kill anyone! The youkai who found the shards did! Naraku did! Not you!”

“But-”

“No! Besides,” now Inuyasha looked away. “I'm kinda glad you did. If you hadn't, I would have got my hands on it and made the worst mistake ever. Any wish on that jewel is tainted. I would have lost myself. And, I never would have gotten to know you or met the others.” His eyes met hers. “That would have been the real tragedy.”

“Inuyasha,” she breathed, staring into his eyes.

“Come on, you should be sleeping. And no more taking blame that isn't yours, understand?”

With a small smile, Kagome allowed him to shuffle her off to bed, glad that she had such a good friend. While shattering the jewel was a tragedy, some good had indeed come of it.


Converting /tmp/php5wTM7s to /dev/stdout