InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Palm of Your Hand ❯ Dreams ( Prologue )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: InuYasha is the property of Rumiko Takahashi, not me. I'm just having fun and making no money doing it.

Dreams (Prologue)

On the brink of tears, Kagome ran to the well as fast as her legs could carry her. 'It was a dream, it has to be a dream.' she thought to herself. She tore open the wellhouse door and cleared the steps in a single leap. 'Please work. Please work. Please let this be a dream.' She chanted to herself as she stood with her hands on the lip of the well. She sat on the edge and slung her legs over the side. Not caring if she broke both of her ankles, she closed her eyes and slid into the darkness. A half second later she was enveloped in the warm glow of the time slip.

"Yes!" she cried aloud, finally allowing the tears to fall. Above her she saw clear blue sky. Using the vines that cascaded down the inner walls of the well, she climbed up to the opening and out into the meadow. She slowly turned, her eyes scanning her surroundings in all directions. 'Where is he?'

No sooner had she had that thought, than she found herself staring into a red clad chest; as he dropped down in front of her, seemingly out of nowhere. She flung her arms around his waist and the tears returned full force.

"Oi, what's the matter, wench?"

He hesitantly wrapped his arms around her in return as she continued to cry into his chest. "I had...a bad...dream." she managed to choke out between sobbing spasms. "I dreamed that...you were far away and...and I couldn't get to you."

"Kagome…" He pulled back and leaned down so they were eye to eye. "That's not a dream." he said calmly, shaking his head.

"What?" she gasped, staring back into his golden eyes.

"I said it ain't a dream."

"No…" she shook her head. "No! Please! It is a dream. It has to be a dream." She fisted her hands into his suikan. "Please, InuYasha. Please don't do this to me! You can't do this to me." she begged as she continued to sob. She sunk to her knees, her face in her hands.

InuYasha kneeled down on the grass before her.

"Kagome," he said, pulling her hands from her face, his voice still eerily calm. "It's gonna be okay." he said reassuringly.

"How can it be okay?!" she quavered.

"'Cause I'm gonna find you." he vowed, with complete confidence in his voice.

She looked up into his eyes and swallowed thickly. She believed him. "It's gonna be okay." she repeated in an almost silent whisper.

"Wake up, Kagome." He grabbed her by the shoulders and gave her a hard shake.

She looked at his hands on her shoulders, then back to his face. "What?" she said, furrowing her brow in confusion.

"Wake up!"

Kagome gasped loudly as she shot up in her bed, cracking her roommate in the nose with her forehead.

"Ow! Geez, Kagome. What's wrong with you." Ru said, grabbing his nose.

"Wha? Ru? Why...what are you doing in here?" she asked him groggily, trying to gather her bearings.

"I think you were having a nightmare." he said. "You were yelling in your sleep."

"Oh, sorry, did I wake you?" she asked, as she lay back down in her bed.

"No, I was already awake." he said as he stretched out on the bed beside her, lacing his hands behind his head. "So, what were you dreaming?" he asked with childlike curiosity.

"I dreamed that I fell down a well shaft." she answered, her voice still rough with sleep.

"Were you yelling for Lassie to go get help?" he asked teasingly.

Kagome grabbed her pillow and slapped him across the face with it, before pulling it back over her own head.

"Hey! It was an innocent question." he chuckled.

"Go. Away." Kagome grumbled into the pillow.

Ru got up from the bed and headed toward the door. "Oh, just to let you know, we're having pancakes for breakfast." he turned back into the room and informed her.

"I didn't know you knew how to make pancakes." she said, peeking out from under the pillow.

"I don't," he smiled. "that's why I'm letting you know."

Kagome let out a loud groan as she flung her legs off the side of the bed.

It was the fourth time in as many days that she'd had that dream. It was slightly different each time, but the basic components were the same, and it always ended the same. With InuYasha telling her he was going to find her. She didn't dare hope. Not after all this time. But why would she be having this dream now after all these years. Her mother would tell her it was a premonition. She wouldn't allow herself to believe it was anything more than a dream.

<<>>

A/N: Ahoy there! I should start by saying I'm a complete novice fiction writer. Actually, a better description of myself would be that I'm a maladaptive daydreamer with a type-A personality, in desperate need of a creative outlet. In other words, I make up stories to cope with stress, just like Mike Tyson takes Zoloft 'to keep from killin' y'all'.

I'm going to post a new chapter weekly, barring any unforeseen issues. How long it will ultimately be, I do not know; although, I do have the ending already planned and most of the story completed.

Chapter one will be posted forthwith. Constructive criticism is welcome. Please be gentle, I have a tender heart. Thanks for reading.

-StoatsandWeasels

P.S. Some of you may have seen this story appear, then disappear a few days ago. I was trying to work out some formatting issues and accidently forgot to check the 'hide story' box. Well gorsh, *hyuck*. (gratuitous Goofy impersonation.)