InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Palm of Your Hand ❯ Over the Hills and Far Away ( Chapter 20 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: InuYasha is the property of Rumiko Takahashi, not me. I'm just having fun and making no money doing it.

A/N: Majorly NSFW bits in the middle.

Over the Hills and Far Away

Kagome awoke to a dull, throbbing headache. When she cracked her eyes open she saw InuYasha sitting in a chair to the right of the narrow gurney bed where she lay, completely engrossed in whatever he was reading on his phone. She was relieved to find that she apparently hadn't been shot, but her relief was short lived once she realized where she was.

"Shit!" she whispered forcefully as she darted up in the bed and kicked her legs over the side.

InuYasha jumped to his feet in an instant, and grabbed her by the shoulders. "Where do you think you're going, wench?" he said patiently.

"I have to get out of here before the police come to question me." she said frantically as she struggled against his grasp.

"They know you're here, Kagome. How do you think you got here? They've been waiting for you to wake up so they can question you about the robbery."

Kagome was clearly panicking at this point. Her fingers were wrapped around InuYasha's wrists in a death grip. "Are they going to arrest me?" she choked out as tears began to well up in her eyes.

"No," he soothed as he sat on the bed next to her and pulled her into his lap, against his chest. "they aren't going to arrest you. Everything's gonna be alright." he said as he ran his hand over her hair.

"...I'm going to get deported, aren't I?" she asked.

He sighed. "Yes and no. You'll need to submit a request for voluntary departure. Sesshomaru is having his lawyer write up the request for you as we speak. He'll make sure it's granted so there's nothing for you to worry about, okay?."

Kagome nodded. "Then what?" she asked.

"Then you return to Japan voluntarily, and you won't get banned from the U.S. for as long as if you were deported. Since you've been here so long, you will probably get a three year ban at most, although my brother might be able to get it lifted early. You'll have to leave within the time frame they give you, which will probably be sixty days."

"So I can just leave with you, then? I won't have to go to court or anything?" she asked, her tone unmistakably hopeful.

He nodded. "I mean, you won't have to go to court for a deportation hearing. The robbery on the other hand? I don't know... We'll just have to wait and see what comes of it."

She let out a long breath as every muscle in her body seemed to relax against him at once.

"You're not upset?" he asked her. He had fully prepared for a meltdown.

"InuYasha," She sat up from his chest and turned to look in his eyes. "I was going to go back home with you. I decided a while ago...I was just waiting for the right time to tell you. Actually, I was planning on telling you tonight..."

InuYasha turned his head from her, breaking their eye contact. "Don't do that, Kagome." he said shaking his head dejectedly. "The decision was made for you. Don't lie to me to try and make me feel better."

It was silent for several seconds before Kagome spoke again. "Would you have still chosen me if Kikyo would have lived? Or did you only choose me because her death made your choice for you?" she said gently. She was only trying to make a point, not antagonize him.

InuYasha jerked his head up abruptly and his golden eyes met hers with an intensity she had never before seen. "It was only ever you, Kagome. From the moment I met you it was only ever you." he said, gripping her shoulders. "I did love Kikyo once...and I was destined to meet her. I was destined to meet her so that she could break my heart in a way only you could fix... and so she could seal me away with a spell that only you could break...but I made my choice long before it was made for me."

There was a brief pause, the intense eye contact between them never breaking.

"Then believe me, InuYasha, when I tell you that I made my choice before it was made for me." she echoed his words, pressing her right hand against his heart.

InuYasha closed the distance between them, pressing his lips to hers, kissing her fervently. Kagome wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled herself tight against him as one of his hands slid up the outside of her bare thigh.

Just as their kissing began to cross the line of what was appropriate for an emergency room cubicle, two police officers stepped around the curtain.

"Ahem!" the younger of the two policeman pretended to clear his throat before knocking on the frame.

InuYasha jerked his hand from under Kagome's gown as they broke apart quickly.

"Kagome Higurashi?" the detective asked.

"Yes, that's me." she said nervously, smoothing her gown and combing her fingers through her hair.

"I'm Detective Conley and this is my partner Detective Diaz. Would it be okay if I asked you a few questions about the incident this morning?" the older man asked.

"That would be fine." she nodded.

"Would you care to step outside, Sir?" Det. Diaz asked InuYasha.

InuYasha nodded and slipped Kagome off his lap onto the bed. "I'll be in the waiting room." he said before kissing her forehead and turning to leave.

Det. Conley took a seat in the chair adjacent to the bed. "How are you feeling, Miss Higurashi?"

"Not too bad, I guess." she said as she pulled the blanket over her bare legs. "I just have a bit of a headache."

He nodded. "Well, I just have a few quick questions for you then I'll let you rest. Can you describe to us, in as much detail as possible, what took place this morning?" he asked as he pulled out a tiny spiral notepad and pen.

She nodded before telling the detectives every detail of what had transpired, including a description of the man. As much as she wanted to leave out the part where he had threatened to rape her, she decided to tell them everything, in case there could be other victims.

"What were the personal items that were stolen from you?"

"He took my engagement ring and some stuff from my purse. I don't know what he got from my purse exactly because my back was to him. Some cash, not more than fifty dollars. And probably my cell phone."

"And can you give us a description of the ring?"

"Umm...well it's an antique. Art deco, I think. It has a platinum band and a round diamond in the center... and there's filigree work that has little flowers in the sides of the band. My fiance could probably give you more detail than me. He just gave it to me yesterday..."

The officer nodded. "This should be enough to go on. Actually, I'll go ahead and tell you now, I think we may have already found it. We got a call from a pawn shop owner about half an hour ago saying there was a sketchy looking guy with a bruised up face trying to hock a very valuable and unique diamond ring. He pretended to haggle with the guy to stall him until our officers got there. They found the ring, a large amount of cash, and a stolen cell phone on the guy. Is your phone registered under your name?" he asked.

"No, Subaru Takahashi is the name on the contract."

"Ah." the officer smiled. "Well, we have your cell phone too." he chuckled.

Kagome smiled. "So I'll get them back then?"

"Of course. They just need to be photographed for evidence, then you should be getting them back very soon."

Kagome sighed in relief. "Thank you."

"Did you get a good enough look at him that you think you'd be able to pick him out of a line up?"

"Yes, definitely." she nodded.

"Okay great."

"All right." he nodded as he stood to join his partner. "Well, thank you for your cooperation Ms. Higurashi. We're pretty confident he will take the plea bargain, so you shouldn't have to testify in court, but either way we'll be getting back in touch with you."

"Thank you, officers." Kagome nodded as the two detectives headed for the exit.

InuYasha came back through the door less than thirty seconds after the cops exited.

"How'd it go?" he asked her as he took a seat in the side chair.

"As good as it could have. They already caught the dumbass. Apparently he went straight to a pawn shop to try and sell the ring and the owner called the cops."

"That's great news! I mean, I'd have bought you another ring, but I really liked that one."

"Me too." Kagome said smiling.

"I talked to a nurse, she said the doctor should be in within the next half hour or so to check you over. Then hopefully you can go home."

"Good." she said nodding.

"Oh, and another thing," his voice becoming stern. "You are never leaving my sight again."

"InuYasha! Don't be ridiculous!"

"I'm not being ridiculous, Kagome. If you don't have enough sense not to fight a guy with a gun, then it's not safe for you to be alone." he said, only partly joking.

"But...what if he was trying to kidnap me?!" she argued.

"He wasn't." he said flatly.

"Yeah but…but what if..." Kagome let out an abrupt sob just before flinging herself into InuYasha's chest.

InuYasha froze for a split second, stunned by her sudden reaction, before wrapping his arms around her trembling body and pulled her tight against him. "Kagome…?" he said softly. He was startled by her abrupt change in mood. 'What did that son of a bitch do to her?' he thought to himself. 'I guess I should have asked her what happened instead of being a presumptuous ass…'

Her fingers twisted into his shirt and hair in a death grip as she continued to sob. The initial shock of the situation had worn off, and now all of the emotions she had suppressed from that morning were flooding back to her with full force. For several minutes she continued to cry, InuYasha never once pressing her for information. Finally she gained enough of her composure to speak. "I was so scared." she whispered. "I've never been more scared in my life…"

InuYasha ran his hands over her back soothingly. "Do you want to tell me what happened?"

For the second time that morning, Kagome recounted the incedent. InuYasha struggled to contain his rage when Kagome told him the last few things the man had said to her.

"All I could think about was how upset you were gonna be when they told you I was dead…" she sniffled.

At the very thought InuYasha's heart clenched painfully. "You are so fucking brave, Kagome..." he said sincerely before pressing a kiss against her forehead. "The bravest person I've ever known."

"You're the bravest person I've ever known." Kagome echoed back to him.

InuYasha just shook his head. "Being brave is easy when you're as tough as I am. There's nothing to it. But being brave when you're fragile...and vulnerable. That's real bravery."

"So you're saying I'm a weakling, then?" Kagome chuckled through lingering tears.

He grinned. "Physically, yes." he said honestly. "Compared to me, anyway." Just then, he felt his phone vibrate against his chest. He pulled the phone from his pocket and saw it was an email notification from Sesshomaru. "Wow. That was fast."

"What was?" Kagome said furrowing her brow.

"My brother just emailed me the documents for your departure request. I'll print them out when we get home. Sesshomaru's already pulled all the strings that need to be pulled, you just have to sign them and it's a done deal." he said. "...and then if you ever change your mind and decide to move back here, we can." he added hesitantly.

Kagome's hand shot out and grabbed his face under his chin, pulling him to her so that they were almost nose to nose. "I love you." she stated before giving him a peck on the lips. "And I'm never moving back here so don't ask again." she said sternly as she released him.

InuYasha didn't even try to contain his smile.

Just then, a tiny woman clad in a lab coat and blue scrubs, entered the cubicle. "Hello, Miss Higurashi, I'm Dr. Parekh. How are you feeling?"

Kagome immediately sensed a concealment spell on the woman. It was coming from a tiny emerald stud in the woman's nose. "I'm okay. Just a little headache." she answered.

The doctor nodded. "I'd certainly say so. You've had quite an eventful morning."

Kagome chuckled mirthlessly.

InuYasha was happy to see that Kagome was assigned a youkai doctor.

"Well, I've gone over your chart and everything looks okay. I just need to check you over and you should be good to go." the doctor said as she approached her, pulling on a latex glove.

"Do you two live together?" she asked InuYasha as she examined the lump on the back of Kagome's head.

"Yes." Before he could speak, Kagome answered for him.

"Okay, good. Just keep an eye on her for the next forty-eight hours. If her condition changes, disorientation, confusion, vomiting, fainting, anything out of the ordinary you need to bring her back in."

InuYasha nodded.

"Although I don't suspect you will face any setbacks." she added. "The swelling has already begun to go down significantly. Under normal circumstances I would expect the opposite this soon after the injury. You must be her good luck charm." she said coyly, shooting a smile at InuYasha.

"It's the other way around." he said.

"That's what all good men say." she retorted and InuYasha's cheeks reddened at the compliment.

The doctor then turned back to Kagome, removing a tiny flashlight from her pocket and flashing it into Kagome's eyes, one by one. "Don't drive a car or operate any machinery for the next few days, and don't drink any alcohol or take any drugs that have not been prescribed to you."

The doctor carried on with the do's and don'ts and asked several random, and in InuYasha's opinion, asinine questions as she completed the neurological examination. He wasn't sure how 'What kind of fruit do monkeys eat?' was a relevant question, but he'd leave that to the expert.

"Alright Miss Higurashi, everything looks good. As with any patient who has experienced emotional trauma, I strongly recommend that you see a counsellor. It's entirely your choice, but it's not uncommon for victims of violent crimes to experience post-traumatic stress. The receptionist at the front desk can give you a list of therapists that we recommend. I just need to fill out your discharge papers and you'll be good to go. Do you have any further questions?"

Kagome shook her head in the negative and thanked the doctor before she exited.

"Are you going to do it?" InuYasha asked Kagome as soon as they were alone again.

"What? The counselling?" Kagome asked.

InuYasha nodded.

She gave a light shrug. "I don't know...I don't really think I need it." she said.

"I…" InuYasha began to speak, but hesitated.

"You what?" she encouraged him to continue.

"I think you do, Kagome..." he said honestly. "I mean, I think it would be good for you. Not just because of the robbery either, but...just after everything you've been through. I think you should consider it."

There, he said it.

Kagome's first instinct was to argue with him. To tell him that he was wrong, or that he was exaggerating, but she knew he was only suggesting it because he cared about her, and deep down she knew he was right. "Okay." she said. "I'll do it. When we get back home."

InuYasha rose from his chair and sat on the edge of the bed, grabbing her around the waist and pulling her into a tight hug. "I'm sorry." he whispered against her cheek.

"It's not your fault." she said as she returned the embrace. "You couldn't possibly have known this was going to happen."

"No," he shook his head. "I'm not talking about the robbery."

Kagome nodded in understanding. "We've been over this, InuYasha," she said, pulling back to look in his eyes. "I forgive you."

"Yeah, I know but...how could you just forgive me for the hell I put you through, Kagome? I've done so many stupid, shitty things…"

"You've made mistakes because you're human InuYasha...and I forgive you because I love you."

"Half human." he corrected.

She giggled. "That's human enough."

InuYasha smiled and pulled her back to his chest. "You're too good to me."

"I know." Kagome teased.

They both chuckled. "I'll spend the rest of my life making it up to you. I'll do anything in my power."

"You can start by finding my clothes." she said.

"I can do that." he said as he pulled away from her. He looked around the tiny cubicle, and seeing no personal belongings, turned to make his way toward the nurses station.

"Thanks." Kagome said. "Oh, and InuYasha…?"

He turned back to her with an inquisitive look.

"Were you licking me earlier, or did I dream that?" she asked.

"You dreamed it." he said quickly, suddenly finding it difficult to make eye contact.

Kagome grinned. "You licked me didn't you." she said, stifling a giggle.

"...yes." InuYasha admitted quietly before spinning around and embarking on his journey to find Kagome's clothes.

<<>>

It was a little over three weeks after the robbery that InuYasha completed his work project and he and Kagome prepared for the journey home. Her request for voluntary departure had gone through without a hitch, and their flight would be leaving in the morning.

InuYasha sat cross-legged on Kagome's bed, watching her pack her suitcase. He was quickly finding it to be his new favorite form of entertainment. Watching her eyebrows rise and lower with her thoughts, lips pursed to the side, index finger tapping her cheek, her little nose crinkling in confusion.

"What are you thinking about?" he asked her.

"Just trying to decide what I should take...this fall weather is unpredictable." she said, scratching her head.

"It doesn't matter. Ru's gonna mail you the rest of your stuff, right? Plus, anything you need you can just buy when we get home." he said.

"Are you trying to rush me, Takahashi?" she teased, crossing her arms.

He shot her a mischievous grin. "You caught me…I'm just so sleepy all the sudden…" he drawled as he stretched his arms high over his head, letting out a theatrically loud yawn as he fell back onto the bed.

She skipped across the room to the light switch. "Okay then, goodnight!" she said as she cut off the lights. It didn't make much of a difference, seeing as it was broad daylight outside.

She let out a squeak as she felt herself being grabbed around the waist from behind and pulled back onto the bed in his lap. 'Geez, he's fast!'

"Insolent little wench..." InuYasha said playfully. "I'm gonna have to teach her a lesson…"

Kagome giggled and kicked and squirmed, but made no real effort to get away from him. "But I thought you were tired! And you know, now that you mention it, I'm kinda tired too." she joked as she threw her head back against his shoulder, closing her eyes and pretending to snore.

InuYasha took the opportunity to reach under her tank top and tickle her ribs with his thumbs. She shot back up with a little yelp and he pulled her back tight against his chest."You ain't gettin' outta this wench, it's time to pay the piper." he whispered huskily against her ear as he slid one hand around her hip and under the waistband of her pajama bottoms and panties. There, he discovered that she was already quite ready to 'pay the piper', as it were.

"Ka-go-me!" InuYasha said with feigned shock as he ran his fingers through her wet folds. "What have you been thinking about you little pervert?!"

"Bradley Cooper." Kagome answered, without missing a beat.

"Why you!" InuYasha ground out through his teeth as Kagome burst out in a fit of giggles. "That's it!" he wrapped his free arm around her waist and flipped them over, pinning her face-down against the mattress. All the while his right hand remaining pressed between her legs. Her giggling stopped abruptly when he leaned down and closed his teeth over the side of her neck; her breath catching in her throat as he growled low and lightly pressed his fangs against her tender flesh. She lay still, taking shallow panting breaths as he released her, and let out a low moan as he individually kissed the four little indentations left behind where his fangs had been. "I promise you won't be thinking about anyone else but me when I'm through with you." he whispered roughly against her ear, his hot breath against her skin sending a shudder through her entire body as he kissed a trail along her throat.

He pulled back from her and rose to his knees, pulling his shirt off over his head without unbuttoning it, before reaching down to roll her over onto her back. They wasted no time undressing one another, and pretty soon he was sliding into her entrance, already prepared for him by the earlier attention of his fingers.

As he began to move inside her, he inched his torso lower with each thrust until his chest was gliding over hers, making contact with every bit of her flesh that he possibly could. He pressed his nose into her hair and drew in a long breath, her sweet scent adding another dimension to his pleasure and…he froze.

"Shit!" he hissed.

"What? What's wrong?" she asked him hazily.

He let out a long, ragged breath. "This is just about the worst fucking time to ask, but do you have any condoms here? Please say yes." he begged as he let his head drop against her shoulder.

"Oh…" she said in realization. "well...do you want me to say yes, or do you want me to answer you truthfully?" she asked.

He let out a loud groan. "Oh my god..." he whined. "I think I'm gonna cry."

She shook slightly with stifled giggles, his plight compounded by the feel of her inner muscles squeezing him gently. "InuYasha, stop it. You're being dramatic." she teased him lightly. "You know I wouldn't leave you hanging." she said before lifting his head in her hands and pressing her mouth to his.

"I know." he mumbled against her lips before dropping his forehead to hers. "You just feel really good…" he said, as he almost unconsciously continued to pump into her at a frustratingly slow pace.

"Do you think you can pull out in time?" she asked him.

"I'm sure I can, but that's kinda playing with fire." he sighed.

"That's okay," She ran her hands up and down his back soothingly. "I love playing with fire." she smirked as she pushed her hips up against him in encouragement.

It was all the encouragement he needed. He pressed his lips back down against hers and kissed her hungrily as he built his rhythm back up. Hooking an arm behind her back, he pulled her tight against his chest before sitting up onto his knees; her hands grasping his shoulders, and her legs wrapping around his waist. Grabbing her ass with both hands, he began raising and pressing her back down over him rapidly in time with the movement of his hips.

For several minutes the only sounds were that of flesh meeting flesh and the unsteady rhythm of their breathing.

InuYasha could tell that Kagome was having a hard time refocusing after the earlier distraction, as it was taking her longer than usual to reach her climax. Unfortunately for him, he wasn't having that problem at all.

He reached up and grabbed her right hand from his shoulder, guiding it down between them. "Touch yourself." he rasped out before leaning his head to her chest and taking a nipple into his mouth, suckling and teasing it with his tongue.

She arched into his mouth while readily complying to his demands. The sensation of her slick fingertips gently grazing his shaft as he moved in and out of her was almost enough to send him over the edge. It wasn't long after that that he felt her inner muscles start to pulse around him. The tight, wet grip of her body practically begging him to release his seed inside her. It would be so easy to let go. To lie. To smother his insecurities. To erase all doubt. It would be so easy to be selfish...

And he would never do it. His selfishness and insecurity was the root of so much of her suffering, and she was never going to suffer again. Not if he could help it.

He rode it out for as long as he possibly could, before lifting her off of him and plopping her down on his thighs; his erection springing free between them.

In a split second both of her hands were over him, one hand firmly gripping the base while the other caught his release with a speed that impressed even him. He wrapped his arms around her and collapsed onto his side, pulling her with him.

"Nice catch." he panted when he finally caught his breath.

Kagome snorted a laugh. "Thanks." she said as she grabbed his discarded shirt from the bed and began wiping her hands on it.

"Oi!" he said as he snatched the shirt from her hands. "What the hell do you think you're doing, wench?!" he mock-scolded her, barely containing his mirth.

She only giggled.

Kagome jumped in surprise when they heard Ru's voice call out through the adjacent wall. "You guys better not be playing baseball in there without me!" he joked.

She gasped and her face turned bright red. "Did you know he was here?" she whispered to InuYasha.

He nodded. "I heard him come in while you were packing your suitcase."

"Why didn't you say anything?!" she scolded him.

"I was really horny and I was afraid you wouldn't have sex with me if you if you knew he was here." he said bluntly.

Kagome let out an indignant gasp. "InuYasha!" she scolded, slapping his chest.

"What?" he said. "You should take it as a compliment." he said with a smirk.

Kagome pursed her lips and grabbed her pillow, swinging it at his face but his hand shot out to deflect it. He then yanked the pillow from her hands and hit her back.

"Ah! You hit me!" she yelped.

"You started it!" he chuckled. "Besides, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to incite a naked pillow fight. You have five hundred years worth of fantasies to make up for, ya know."

She giggled. "Oh really...tell me one."

"Let's see..." he said, pensively rubbing his chin with his thumb and index finger. "Well, I'll tell you one thing, a whole lot of them involve those goddamn little white panties you were always flashing in my face. I was convinced you were trying to kill me!"

Kagome threw her head back and laughed. "Well, that's definitely doable. I'm sure I have some white panties around here somewhere."

"Just make sure they aren't your favorite pair or anything, 'cause they're gonna be destroyed in a pretty violent way…" he said chuckling and Kagome let out a giggle.

"Oh my god!" Ru called out again, and InuYasha let out a loud growl.

"What have I told you about respecting personal boundaries, Ru Takahashi?!" Kagome yelled back to Ru through the wall.

"That you shouldn't keep secrets among friends?" he responded cheekily.

"Nope, try again!"

"Kagome, stop engaging him please." InuYasha cut in. "You're ruining the moment."

"Oh, sorry." she said. "Ru, shut up and put some headphones on or something!" she yelled.

They listened quietly and heard no reply.

"Huh. Can't believe that actually worked." Kagome nodded in approval before reaching out to brush InuYasha bangs away from his sweaty forehead. "I don't think I've ever seen you sweat this much."

"You're making me work for it today, wench." With that, he grabbed her around the waist and pulled her against his chest. "Did you finish?" he asked her nonchalantly before planting a kiss on her cheek. He was fairly sure that his forced exit may have cut her off short.

"Huh?" She furrowed her brow. "Finish what?"

"Getting off." he huffed impatiently, her distraction was beginning to get irritating. He was going to kick Ru's ass later.

"Oh!" she giggled. "Yeah, I think so."

"You think so?" he sighed dramatically and rolled his eyes. "What am I going to have to do to get your attention?" he teased, as he rose to his knees, grabbing her ankles and dragging her to the edge of the bed.

He knelt on the floor before her and draped her legs over his shoulders. Wasting no time, he immediately leaned in between her legs and closed his lips over her clit, gently suckling as he thumped it rhythmically with his tongue. Kagome let out a groan as she began to tremble and writhe under his attentions. "Mmm...yes. Yes. Yes...just like that." she moaned as he slipped two fingers inside of her, stroking her inner walls in an upward motion.

They hadn't been together all that long, but he was a fast learner when it came to figuring out exactly what she liked. That he was a willing and eager student certainly helped as well. Once they had gotten completely comfortable with each other, InuYasha had discovered that Kagome was much the same in bed as she was anywhere else. She liked to talk, and she often spoke without thinking, and every once in awhile that sweet little mouth would pop off something so filthy even he would blush. He had made it his personal challenge to see just how far he could push her.

Her whole body tensed, heels pressing into his back and toes curling as he felt her inner muscles start to squeeze his fingers. "Yes, baby! Keep going!" she choked out, her voice sounding almost frantic as his tongue sent her over the edge. Her fingers twisted into the sheets and goosebumps cast over her pale flesh as her nipples drew up tight of their own accord. His name tumbled from her lips in broken syllables, almost unconsciously, as she rode out her pleasure, InuYasha's smug smile hidden against her most sensitive flesh. 'Oh, well. No dirty talk this time…' he thought to himself, as he set about lapping up every drop of what her body offered him.

But oh... he sure did love hearing her scream his name...

Meanwhile Ru, sitting in his room working on a painting, fought the urge to start a slow clap.

<<>>

The three of them had dinner together that last night.

After they finished their meal Ru went into his room and came back out with a package wrapped in brown paper. Kagome could clearly tell from the shape that it was a large picture frame.

"Kagome, I have something for you... it's sort of a going away gift." Ru said as he handed her the package.

"Ru, you shouldn't have done that!" she protested. "I don't have anything to give you."

"I don't expect anything in return. I just wanted to give you something to remind you of me." he said smiling.

Kagome stood from the table and gave him a tight hug. "Thank you."

"Don't thank me until you see what it is!" Ru scolded playfully. "It might be a bomb."

Kagome chuckled as she pulled away. She laid the gift upon the table and began to tear away at the paper. As the front section of paper fell to the ground in one large piece, she let out a little gasp when she saw the painting. It was the bittersweet nightshade flower watercolor from the night Kagome first discovered youkai in the modern world. She couldn't suppress the few rogue tears that escaped her eyes.

"How did you get this? I thought it sold at the auction?" she asked him.

"It did. After you told me the story, I found out who bought it, and offered them double what they paid for it." Ru said.

Kagome noticed a tiny, plain white card wedged in the corner of the frame. Pulling it loose, she folded it open and read:

For Kagome,

For bringing sunshine into my life.

For always seeing the best in me.

For giving me a human heart.

Love,

Ru

She covered her mouth in an attempt to contain the sob that escaped her upon reading the card. Quickly she folded it and slipped it into the pocket of her jeans.

"Oh, I love it." she said as she ran her fingers across the frame. She threw her arms around him in another hug. "I love it." she repeated in a whisper as she held onto him, crying against his chest. "I love you, Ru...and I sure am gonna miss you..."

"I love you too, Kagome. And I sure am gonna miss your cooking…"

Kagome pulled back and pushed him away teasingly. "I see how it is, you jerk!" she said through her sniffles.

They both chuckled.

InuYasha remained seated, silently watching the scene before him. As usual, he had no idea what they were talking about, but he didn't really care. She was his. He may not know for sure that he was her first choice, but he had her, and for him, that was enough.

<<>><<>><<>>

A/N:

Next chapter is the last/epilogue.

As always, thanks for reading and reviewing.

Go on and have that glorious day I've been going on about.

StoatsandWeasels