InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Paradigm Shift ❯ Intrusions ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Paradigm Shift

Chapter Seven: Intrusions

… … …

"It's so quiet without everyone else"

"It is, but we're not prisoners, Shippou. We don't have to stay here in the room until night, and wait for the youkai attack. Sango picked the kit up under his arms and settled him onto her hip.

"Maybe we can explore!"

His enthusiasm drew a long, warm laugh from her.

"I'm not sure exploring someone else's home is a good idea. They might be offended."

"Well, what else is there to do?"

"Oh, I'm sure that we could find something to eat

"Inuyasha would be so mad if we ate without him!" His mischievous look wasn't missed by Sango, but she continued without mentioning it.

"Or maybe find somewhere to wash up?"

"Can Kagome come with us?"

A knock on the frame of the door interrupted the conversation, and when they opened it to see Sesshomaru on the other side they were concerned.

"Is Kagome okay?" She asked. He tilted his chin up at her.

"Taijya. Kit."

"Ahhmm…Sorry. Hello, Lord Sesshomaru. Is there something you need?"

"Rin would like to walk in the gardens-

"Oh! Oh! That sounds really fun!"

Golden eyes fixed an impatient look on the kitsune and he burrowed into Sango's side.

"Rin would like to walk in the gardens, and I would ask if you would accompany her."

"That sounds nice, Lord Sesshomaru." She looked down at Shippou and he nodded energetically.

"I would also ask that you bring your weapon along." The implication wasn't lost on her.

"Ah. That sort of accompany. It's no problem at all. I'm honored."

"Yes. As you should be. I have some… matters to discuss with the miko, and prefer some privacy to do so."

"Don't let Miroku's lecherous suggestions bother you, Lord Sesshomaru. He's always like that."

"Hm."

"Should we go with you to fetch Rin?"

"Yes. You will keep her to the area of the gardens that I can oversee through the window in the room that we were provided."

"That's fine."

When they stopped at a door and Sesshomaru opened it for them, Sango was only stopped from going to Kagome's side by Rin quickly joining her and claiming her free hand. She hesitated. Lingered. Took in the tension in her friend's back and shoulders, and the way her hands gripped the cushion under her so tightly.

She turned to walk Rin and Shippou to the gardens to play. She'd seen Kagome defend herself before, and Sesshomaru hadn't shown hostility to anyone other than his brother.

… … …

Damn him, but he was curious. Miroku peered at Sango's retreating back… and the lovely way her hips swung as she walked away. He left his Shakujo atop the futon that he had already set out and readied, and slipped from his own room His bare feet padded, as quietly as he could manage, to the third door past his own. He crouched down. He wondered why Sesshomaru hadn't closed it more than halfway.

'Oh-ho! I have a co-conspirator, I see.'

Miroku and Sesshomaru met eyes over Kagome's head when he peeped through the opening, and Miroku wished he had the same level of self-control that the taiyoukai did. He had to pinch his nostrils together to keep his laugh from coming out and giving him away.

Sesshomaru glanced down at the obviously overwhelmed woman, and back up to Miroku. He gave the monk the barest of tilts sideways of his head, and Miroku pinched his nose harder. 'Like an inquisitive dog. An inquisitive dog youkai." He drew both lips together between his teeth and held his breath for a moment before exhaling as quietly as he was able.

Miroku put his thumb under his chin and pushed his own head upwards, then pointed at Kagome's back. He was glad that Sesshomaru took the suggestion easily. He listened as the other man assured Kagome that he wouldn't attack her. 'I'd ravish her if she were available.' He thought. 'Damn me again, it really is fun to have a partner in crime.'

When Sesshomaru mentioned him and his underlying teasing from earlier, and it drew a pretty noise from the woman in the room, Miroku felt the sound travel through his body in a streak of lightning. His fingertips tingled at it. Sesshomaru might be doing the teasing right now, but the idea that it was his words in her mind when that delicious note left her… 'My words, and my voice.' The thought of it pleased him.

And then, oh.. then her voice. He heard the tremble in it that his words had caused. She asked hopefully if he were offering protection. 'My what naughty thoughts must have been in your mind to cause such dubious beliefs, Kagome. I never would have thought it of you.'

A pang of hot jealousy washed over him as he watched the other man stretch his body so provocatively for Kagome's perusal. 'It's been far too long since I've had a woman's gaze upon me in that manner.'

Miroku caught Sesshomaru's hint as easily as Sesshomaru had caught his own hint moments ago, and when one stood, the other did as well. Miroku was only slightly disappointed that their game had ended so quickly. It had been a fun game, none-the-less. He couldn't deny himself when the idea struck him, and he struck a salacious pose in the frame of his own doorway. It wasn't long before Kagome rushed through, into the hallway. He guessed that he was using his full week's supply of self-discipline to keep from outright laughing at the expression she wore as she became aware of him watching her.

He swept a satisfied look over her, from head to toe, and when he had his full he locked eyes with her. Hers were rather wide in astonishment as he hummed at her knowingly.

Once he closed his door, he hoped she would move quickly past his room; he didn't think he could hold back the full force of his laughter for very long. As he waited for footfalls, the sound began to tumble from him. He was glad for the hurried steps as his laughs rose in volume.

When his door slid open and he turned to find Sesshomaru there, he absolutely shook at the self-assured look on the pale features of his recently acquired friend. 'I never would have thought this of him either. Amazing, what you uncover about someone's personality when you travel together.'

They exchanged a mirthful look when Mikoku joined him in the doorway. They both looked down the empty hall where Kagome had fled, and wore the same mirthful expression.

When Miroku, recovered from his laughing fit, waved his hand into his room in an invitation, he was glad that Sesshomaru joined him. The door was closed behind them and they sat on the floor together.

"How precarious a position you coaxed me into with the girl. Did you know that she would react so readily to the attention?"

"I did not, but I admit that I had hoped she would."

"Hm."

Miroku nodded.

"You realize, of course, that I have no true intentions of pursuing her?"

Another nod.

"Hm."

Sesshomaru laid flat on the floor, his arm cradling his head and one knee bent- reminding Miroku of the position that Kagome had so recently found herself in. It drew a snort from him in his place by his friend's chest.

"Do you?"

"What?"

"Do you intend to pursue her?" Miroku watched the wood paneling of the walls and Sesshomaru watched the rafters in the pause.

"I'd never really considered it before."

"Hm."

"Kagome is full of love and light. She's very innocent. That's part of what makes teasing her so enticing."

"Indeed. Toying with her so adamantly would be rather cruel, considering that."

They both sobered.

"It would, yes."

"Perhaps not so intensely, again."

Looking down, Miroku understood the hard gaze that Sesshomaru was giving him in that moment. This was a man who, while indulgent in his own amusement at times, would protect the ones he considered loyal to him without mercy. He swallowed hard.

"Of course." At Miroku's answer, Sesshomaru stood and made his way to the door.

"Of course." He replied to the monk.

They understood each other.

… … …

There was a tiny red butterfly on Rin's nose, and she stared at it cross-eyed as she held her breath.

Sango was sitting in the grass in the gardens near her as Shippou watched the earthworm in his palm try to escape. The Koi swam nearby in a pond, filling the air with the sounds of rippling water interspersed with little splashes.

Rin ever so slowly reached up a hand, one finger extended from her fist, fully intent on prodding the butterfly. It fluttered away while she was still halfway to its delicate wings. Her small breaths came in gasps as it faded from sight amongst the colorful flowers, and she giggled at Sango before skipping to Shippou's side and lowering herself to the place in front of him.

Shippou scooted forward to her until their knees bumped and held out his hands for her to inspect.

Sango levered herself up, using Hiraikotsu as a brace to lean on. She circled the two little ones, eyes and ears alert for any dangers; fanning out to the edge of the enclosed space and listening at the low stone walls, peering into Sesshomaru's empty room through the window, before going back to them again.

"You have my thanks, Taijiya."

Sango turned in a full circle with Kiraikotsu at the ready, and relaxed at she spotted Sesshomaru perched lazily on the rooftop above the window she had just looked through.

"It's eerie the way you can completely hide your aura like that." She replied 'and your movements, and your scent, and your appearance.' She added to herself.

"Rin." He stood and walked off the edge of the rooftop, landing with a soft bounce on one foot. His stride toward Rin was uninterrupted by the fall.

"Lord Sesshomaru!" She stopped before him and proceeded to regale him with adventures of fuzzy caterpillars and lovely butterflies. He quieted her with a look, and she bounced on her toes happily.

"I am glad that you enjoyed the garden, Rin. Come. It is time for you to have a warm meal."

"Oh! I'm hungry too! Can we go with them, Sango?" She scooped Shippou into her arms and walked with the other two to bring their questions to a servant.

… … …

Kagome spotted a few plain white yukata folded neatly on a chair near the large, inviting basin. She sighed happily, feeling most of the tension leave her body, and made short work of peeling her dirt-stained school uniform from her body.

She cringed for a moment at the sound of bubbles rising from the water. 'They must have just heated it.' She thought. 'I might have to wait for the wood to burn down some before I can get in and bathe.' Her eyes spotted a dozen or so twine strings hanging from the rafters above the tub and followed them down to little bunches of herbs that were commonly used as soap in this era. She stood on tiptoe to reach up to where they hung, one hand braced on the edge of the wood encasement.

Movement caught her eye below her and she shrieked in surprise and frustration. 'Oh no, not again. Why do I keep ending up in these positions?' The water sloshed against the sides and spilled out over the top, soaking the purple lace of her bra and underwear. The black silk butterfly that hid the front-clasp dripped water onto her ribs and she scrambled for one of the white yukata and hurriedly put it on. She spun to face the closed door and grasped the handle with one hand, covering her eyes with the other; even with her back to the water.

She had only pulled the door open a crack when a large, tanned, clawed hand fell on it above her head- the weight forcing it to close it again.

"Mmm. Don't leave on my account, Kagome." Kouga's voice was far too close to her ear which meant that his body was far to close to her back, and she stubbornly thought of anything other than the fact that he would have to be naked to be in the water.

The hand slid from the door, and she heard a tell-tale series of splashes from behind her as he lowered himself back into the warmth.

She flung the door open, hitting herself in the shoulder with it as she rushed out. As she turned to slam it closed, the sight of Kouga's broad chest and shoulders, dripping with moisture, burned itself into her memory. He had one hand on the wooden edge of the basin and was leaning on it, the other hand on his hip, and a wicked gleam in his eyes.

'It's because there are too many of them now. That's why. There were two men in the group and now there are four. Far too many! I'm outnumbered!'

Her forehead landed forcefully on the outside of the bath house door, and she heard his throaty laugh from inside.

"Don't worry Kagome. I'll restrain myself." It was muffled but clear through the wooden barrier.

'Yep. He's the big bad wolf, I'm little red riding hood, and he wants to eat me.'

"I promise that I won't bite, Kagome." It echoed her thoughts entirely too well, and she groaned loudly in frustration.

The door opened and she stumbled in with only half a second to curse herself for keeping hold of the handle. She fell hard against his slick chest, her hands sliding down his sides from where she had tried to steady her footing. Those strong hands found her shoulders in an almost painful grip as a familiar rumble traveled up through him to her ears. He pushed her a step back from him and held her shoulders briefly to let her stand properly on her own, then slid his hands to her upper arms and squeezed them gently.

He let go of her and turned his own back, tying the yukata closed. She could hear his heavy breathing as he tried to hold himself together.

When he was sufficiently covered, he laid his damp palm on her cheek and looked at her seriously.

"I hope that I didn't scare you again."

She shook her head.

"Just startled. I didn't see you when I came in."

"That's good then. I don't want to scare you."

"I know."

He leaned over and pressed a lingering kiss to her hair, inhaling her scent deeply as he did so. As he slid by her and out through the door, she thought. 'Yep. Too many males.'

She poked her head out the door to make sure he had gone- she was drawn out of the steam by something else entirely. A slender white youkai had flown above the treetops before diving back down again. Shinidamachu.

'Kikyo.'

The thought of the undead priestess was enough to quell anything in her, and she went back inside numbly. As she lowered herself into the warm bath and began to methodically scrub her hair and body, she wondered if the Shinidamchu… and Kikyo… were the reason that Inuyasha has been so distant… and so absent, lately.