InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Paradigm Shift ❯ Shift ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Paradigm Shift

Chapter Eight: Shift

… … …

The cool spring air of the afternoon felt nice on his heated flesh as Kouga walked around the main house's covered walkway. He clenched the bundle of green and white fabric in his left hand. Little flecks of dirt fell from it and onto the floor as he did so.

He spotted Sango and Sesshomaru, with Shippou and Rin in tow, talking with one of the house servants at the corner of the walkway as it turned around the house, he hurried his pace and found himself standing with them quickly.

"Thank you, Aki." Sangos turned her head to Kouga and then back to the girl.

Aki nodded, eyes downcast and hands cradled gently before her. Sango turned the way that Kouga had come from and took in his damp, plain, white yukata. She pointed in the general direction and looked at Aki.

"Bath house that way." She received another nod.

"Kitchens that way." She pointed through the wall to the side of them and received another nod.

"Night soil closets on the other side of the gardens?" Another nod.

"Thank you again, Aki." Another nod.

"Nice to know where everything is for the night." Kouga patted the servant girl on the shoulder with one hand. She flinched away from the touch but didn't move away otherwise. "Glad I stumbled in on you the conversation." He gave a roguish grin.

As footfalls sounded, they all looked around the corner to the approaching figure of Kuranosuke.

"Ah! Sango! I've been trying to find you. I would appreciate the chance to speak with you privately."

Sango turned back to them. "Could you take Shippou, as well? I'll catch up soon." Shippou already had one of rin's hand in his own. Sesshomaru nodded as she turned from them and made her way to the clan lord's side. They left the shade of the walkway's cover and stepped along an inset series of large, smooth stones that curled away through the gardens and on toward a small bridge. It hovered over a thin stream that had been carved out of the grounds; it carried water to the small koi pond.

Sesshomaru faced Kouga with a lifted brow and looked pointedly at the hand that he had hidden behind his back. Kouga's roguish grin was back in a flash and her brought Kagome's clothes into view. "I ran into her at the bath house." Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed. "She was coming in as I was leaving. I figured I'd get her clothes washed. I think she'll like it."

"I can take care of that for you." Aki's small hands laid over Kouga's curled fingers and the fabric. He relinquished it to her. "If there is nothing else, sirs?"

They didn't say anything and she hurried away to her task.

Kouga made to continue on his way to his room, and was brought short by the chill in the taiyoukai's voice and the bruising grip on his shoulder.

"Your life is forfeit to me if you force your… affections… on her again."

"I understand."

Heaviness washed over them.

"I did apologize."

"Not nearly enough."

"I know. There's no way that I could ever apologize enough for that."

"Indeed."

The air thickened as the hand left him.

"I didn't realize that you saw us."

"I did not. I heard enough to know that you were too… occupied to notice my attention."

Kouga hesitated, and when he spoke his words were slurred into the hand that covered his weary face.

"You would have stopped me."

"Of course."

"Good. Thanks."

He heard the trio continue on their way, and something in his chest faltered. 'Just because she forgives me doesn't mean that I'll forgive myself. It doesn't mean that anyone else would forgive me either. Or that they should.' His feet felt glued to the spot, but he moved one foot and walked on, much more sedately than before, toward the receiving hall and onward to his room with the two other men.

… … …

When the door slid open sedately and Kouga entered the room, Miroku was still sitting where Sesshomaru had left him. His contemplations were interrupted by the gruff hello from the wolf.

"Welcome back. Perhaps you can point me toward the bath as well?" Miroku picked at his robes uncomfortably.

"Kagome's using it right now."

"All the more reason!" His enthusiasm was tempered by the remembrance of a hard golden stare, but he did his best not to show it.

"Keep your hands to yourself, idiot."

Miroku wondered at the tiredness in Kouga's voice. He watched as Kouga took brought one of the mats from against the wall and set it out for himself. His curiosity was piqued.

"Is there something or your mind, my friend?" He patted his hand on the floor beside himself.

Kouga heaved a great sigh and took the offered stretch of floor.

"You could say that."

"Care to talk about it?"

"Sesshomaru is pretty pissed."

"Ah. With you?" Miroku cast his look sideways at the other.

"Yep."

"And how might you have earned his ire?"

Kouga flinched and looked away.

"Would it have anything to do with our Kagome?"

"How the hell did you know that?" The surprise and suspicion coated his features as his blue eyes bore into violet.

"Ah. It seems that Kagome's wellbeing is a popular subject today." He stood and retrieved his Shakujo from its perch. "This wouldn't be concerning a certain cave with a certain stream in the middle of a certain night, would it?"

Kouga blanched at the question.

"Who the fuck else knows?"

"I'm fairly sure that I was the only one awake to observe Lord Sesshomaru's actions."

"Just his, huh?"

"I may have caught a word or two."

Kouga grimaced at Miroku's feet as they stepped closer to him.

"What?"

"Oh, just something about you being upset at her."

Kouga fell backwards onto the floor gracelessly.

"And something about jealousy. Her telling you that she knew."

"I guess it's all that holy monk training that makes it so that you can keep your heartbeat and breath steady enough to pass for being asleep, huh?"

"Maybe."

Miroku slid the door open and had one foot over the threshold.

"Don't bother her, Miroku. I mean it."

"Wouldn't dream of it, dear man." His eyes danced with amusement as he left. He didn't close the door.

… … …

"I could never quite forget you, Sango. As I grew up I knew that when I took a wife, I would be sure that there would be more than duty between us. I want a woman whom I can love and who can love me in return. Your face is the one that has always been on my mind during those thoughts."

"I'm flattered, my Lord."

He took her hand and tugged her toward the railing of the little bridge. They stared into the water rushing by them for a moment. He still had her hand in his where they sat, joined, on the red polish of the wood.

"Please, Sango. You don't need to call me Lord. Just Kuranosuke is fine. Or whatever else you might wish to call me." He released her hand, and turned toward her; leaning on his elbow as he watched her face. "Husband, perhaps. I have, admittedly, dreamed of the word in your beautiful voice."

Sango raised her hands to her cheeks as they warmed. 'So charming.'

"Well, you see…"

… … …

Miroku jumped, more than he would have admitted to, as hands were laid on his back and a voice sounded in his ear.

"Ah-Ha! Gotcha!" He looked over his shoulder at his assailant and frowned at the mock whisper. He didn't miss the hint of purple on her chest that could be seen through her damp yukata.

"And what, exactly, have you gotten me for, Kagome?"

"I just knew you had feelings for Sango! Now here you are spying on her!"

Miroku shuffled a little backward from the woman. It was awkward to do while crouched down like this behind a cluster of reeds near the bridge. 'Buddha preserve me, I've seen that gleam in her eyes before. She's planning mischief.' He turned back around to watch the backs of the two figures again, hoping he didn't miss anything important.

"… obligations. Other people that I have to take care of and things that I need to see through." Sango was saying. In her mind, she thought 'Like Kohaku. Rebuilding what might be left of my home. Finding and killing Naraku.'

'Maybe one of those other people is Miroku.' Kagome wondered.

'She won't leave Kagome's side while Naraku is out there.' Miroku knew.

He rolled his shoulders uncomfortably at the persistent warmth coming from Kagome's hand on his back as she listened with him. He shifted, and her hand slid over to rest fully on his left shoulder blade as she shifted with him. 'How innocent your touch is, Kagome.'

He wasn't used to women touching him so familiarly without his guidance. Kagome did it every now and then; a smile and a brush of her fingers on his hand when he fell into a dark mood, or a hug when they overcame a particularly difficult foe, or a bump of her shoulder on his on clear, sweet days as they walked down some unnamed road.

He knew that she was a very physically affectionate girl; in a way that was the polar opposite of his own physical attentions. He knew that she did not limit her actions to any particular member of their bunch. Every time she did, despite his understanding of those things, it unbalanced him a little.

… … …

"If you wish to travel until your obligations are fulfilled, I would have no objection. I would trust in your fidelity and I assure you that I would be just as faithful to you."

"You make it sound so romantic, Lord Kuranosuke. It's not though. What sort of life could a husband and wife expect to have like that?" He hung his head at her words.

"It's not that I object to you… just… maybe in another life, it could have worked. A simpler life."

"If you ever change your mind, Sango…"

"You would wait for me?"

"I would wait for you." He had leaned his face close to hers intently. Her head lifted towards his.

… … …

Miroku felt the wetness through his robes as his knee slipped into the water as he watched them. He looked down at the edge of the stream and tried to back away from it. Kagome's knee pressed into his lower back as he attempted it, halting his efforts to save himself from a cool dip of embarrassment. She shifted for him, and he shifted with her as her hand came to rest on his own knee. He met her concerned eyes and tried his best to convey his reassurance to her.

When they looked back to the bridge, Sango had lifted herself onto the balls of her feet and pressed a chaste kiss to Kuranosuke's lips. It was short, and they walked off of the bridge in separate directions.

Kagome couldn't find anything to say to Miroku, so she rubbed little circles on his back. She settled for simple.

"I'm sorry."

He stood and she followed.

"For what?" His eyebrows knit together in puzzlement.

"Sango… she seemed happy that he said he'd wait for her." She waved a hand at the bridge.

"Ah." Miroku smiled softly down at her slight body, so much smaller than his own.

"She kissed him…" Kagome continued.

"She did."

"It must have upset you."

"Not overly."

"Oh." She was confused.

"It didn't?"

He shook his head at her.

"But… you were here watching them, all jealous and sneaky." She grinned half-heartedly at his antics. It wasn't the first time she had caught him trying to snoop about.

Miroku threw his head back and laughed sharply. When he finished, he wrapped am arm around Kagome's shoulders and began to lead them away from the tall reeds. When he caught sight of a few Shinidamachu weaving through the trees in the distance, he spun them both before her eyes could leave his own face.

"Let's talk in the gardens for a little while."

"Alright…"

They followed the stream to where it bubbled over stacked stones in a trickling miniature waterfall and fell into the koi pond. Miroku plucked a voluptuous pink lily from its pad in the water and placed it in her hands.

"You have the wrong impression of me and my sneaking, as you put it, this time." He told her. Her nose scrunched up.

"Are you sure?"

"Mhm."

"But, Miroku."

"Yes?"

"You've always paid so much attention to her… I was sure that you liked her."

Miroku chuckled and sat on the grass. He tugged at her wrist and she sat next to him. He laid flat on his back and watched the clouds as he spoke.

"I can't deny that Sango is very attractive. Her face, her body," He winked at her. "Her dedication, her strength. These are all things that draw me to her, of course."

"Why are you guys always confusing me?"

He lifted a brow at her, but she just shook her head.

"Just because I find her attractive, in many ways, does not mean that I am contemplating a future with her." He chuckled again. "Otherwise, I would be pursuing every pretty, kind woman that I came across."

"You do pursue every woman you see." Kagome joined him and laid back to laze in the grass as the afternoon began to fade to evening. She noted in the back of her mind that night, and the upcoming battle, would be upon them soon.

"Perhaps." She could hear the smirk in his voice without needing to see it.

"You do."

"Maybe. That still doesn't mean that I was intending to court her."

"Miroku! You were always groping her and, and..suggesting.."

He lifted himself on one elbow and peered down at her with that familiar smirk.

"You can't deny that I've done the same to you, Kagome."

She scowled and pushed at his chest with one hand. He laid back down beside her as she sat up. She twisted around to pin him with her annoyance.

"Not nearly as much, you letcher."

He sat up as well, and pulled her back to his chest, cradled between his legs, and put his chin on her shoulder.

"Are you telling me that you want more attention, Kagome?"

She struggled out of his grip and scooted back to his side with a hard backhand to his chest. It was forceful enough to draw an oomph from him as he doubled over.

"Be serious, Miroku." He rubbed his abused chest.

"I'm always serious, Kagome. Just say the word and I am at your mercy."

"Miroku!"

He reached over and tucked her hair behind one ear, letting the silken tresses cascade over his hand as he did.

"I am not like Inuyasha, Kagome. I won't put her heart in a difficult position when I cannot offer her any promises." She glared into the little pond as though she could bring about the demise of the swimming fish with her gaze alone.

"It doesn't hurt that Sango doesn't hit nearly as hard as Inuyasha when my hands wander."

He was pleased to see that he had drawn a small smile from her with that. He fixed his face into his very best blank expression.

"Or Sesshomaru."

She launched one of the stones near her feet into the pond, scaring the poor fish and sending them scattering.

"What's that about, anyway. He's being so weird."

Miroku bit his tongue to keep his crafted mask up. Her tone was adorably petulant.

"Kagome."

She rested her cheek on her knees and looked over to him.

"You don't know why?"

"All I know is that he's been weirdly possessive of me."

"I wouldn't say possessive but I could see how his actions could be interpreted so."

"Seems pretty possessive to me."

"It's more accurate to call him protective."

"Okay. But why? It's not like he ever acted to any of us before a few weeks ago."

"Kagome. You underestimate the implications to his station that came with your warning those few weeks ago."

"Ugh."

This time it was his turn to rub circles onto her back. And lower back. And…

"UGH! MIROKU!"

Kagome lept to her feet and threw another small rock that she had been holding at his head and strode away in her temper.

Miroku watched her leave with his fingers pressed to the spot above his eye where it had hit him. 'I'm not sure if that's better than a slap or worse. New, at least.'

… … …

Dim light filtered through the trees. It bathed the two people that stood in a tight embrace below the boughs with a soft glow. The kiss was passionate and long, but any witness would wonder at the lie of it if they looked close enough. Somehow, the participants looked angry, rather than absorbed, with the kiss.

… … …

Back in the room that she would be sharing with Rin, Kagome laid out two mats side-by-side, and a third across the room; under the window. She curled up on one of the paired mats and drew a rough blanket all the way up under her chin.

If she wasn't going to get any sleep tonight, she was going to take a nap while she had the chance. She was exhausted, anyway. In no time at all, she was resting peacefully.

Not long after, Rin was in the room with her; dragging the third mat to the other side of the empty one and snuggling down on it with a similar blanket; leaving the mat between them empty.

… … …

Silence was the only thing exchanged between Inuyasha, Kouga, and Miroku three doors away. They were all lost in their own thoughts as they waited for dark to come and distract them.

… … …

Sango curled around Shippou and Kirara, her mind and emotions too turbulent to sleep, offering her comfort to the bundles in her arms.

… … …

Kuranosuke stood vigilant in the tower by the gates of his stronghold, soldiers to either side of him, staring out into the distance in anticipation.

Aki and Chiyo folded the freshly washed clothing bundles and distributed them to their owners.

… … …

Sesshomaru trailed his long fingers over the surface of the warm water, his hair swirling about him in the bath; looking ethereal as it flowed sinuously in the small currents created by his hand.

… … …

Red fabric and black strands fluttered in a strong breeze as the sun neared the edge of the horizon.