InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Paradox: The Power of Letting Go ❯ A Friend's Gift ( Chapter 19 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: InuYasha is owned by Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan Inc. and Viz Media.
Story and all original characters created are owned by me.
 
 
 
A Friend's Gift
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
Feudal Era
 
 
“Shippo, I entrust this to you. You must keep this somewhere safe,” the monk instructed the young kitsune.
 
“Don't worry, I will. The Kitsune Temple will be the perfect place to hide it.”
 
The kitsune gently pawed the bone box. Looking up, he asked curiously, “Why can't I see it?”
 
The monk sighed, “You have to promise not to tell InuYasha.” He gave the kitsune a pointed look. “You must promise. If he sees it before he's ready, it will drastically alter the future.”
 
Shippo held up his one hand, looking earnestly at his friend. “I promise, Miroku. You can count on me! I won't tell. I promise on my kitsune honour.”
 
“Very well,” Miroku conceded. “It is a wedding present for InuYasha.”
 
“A wedding present?!” squeaked the startled kitsune. “Who's InuYasha marrying?”
 
Miroku stared at Shippo, deliberating how much to tell him. Finally, after a tense moment with the kitsune looking hopefully up at him, he opened the box, allowing the light to dance off of the fine demon bone plaque that lay inside.
 
Shippo read the inscription and sucked in his breath. Looking up with wide-eyes, he caught Miroku's hard glance and his firm words. “Do you see why we must stay silent?”
 
“Yes, Miroku,” Shippo breathed in awe, the truth weighing heavily on his young shoulders. He hesitantly reached out a hand and outlined the carving lovingly engraved by the monk.
 
Miroku studied the young kitsune.
 
Shippo's head of bright red hair almost reached Miroku's shoulders, and his slim, angular frame showed signs of promised strength and agility. His eyes shone bright with intelligence and maturity. The young kitsune was not so young any more; he had grown up. A few more years at the Temple and their little Shippo would be a Kitsune Master.
 
Yes, it was time to divulge the secrets. It was time to pass on the knowledge and the responsibility. It was time Shippo knew the truth.
 
“No matter what, you must not interfere. You must never reveal what you know. Not until the time is right.”
 
“When the time is right? What do you mean?”
 
Contemplating his words carefully, Miroku said, “One day you will be summoned and your presence will be needed. Heed the call.”
 
“Who…?”
 
“Sesshomaru.”
 
Shippo's eyes widened with trepidation and a fearful expression appeared briefly on his face. He dropped his head and sagged his shoulders as he internally struggled with the knowledge given him. Then, just as suddenly, a transformation took place. The young kitsune straighten his spine and stood tall. With a determined glint in his eyes, he looked directly at Miroku and solemnly declared, “I will do what I have to.”
 
Miroku nodded approvingly at his words.
 
Shippo had lowered his gaze onto the box again, but as the faint scent of tears reached his nose, he looked up startled.
 
Smiling wryly, the monk hastily swiped at his eyes and laid a hand on the kitsune's head. “I envy you, my friend, for having the chance to witness their love. Just make sure that InuYasha opens it after his wedding day and not one day sooner,” he instructed before closing the lid and sealing it; a seal that would not be broken for another 500 years.
 
“I will,” promised the kitsune.
 
The slight breeze carried to them a well loved voice.
 
“Ah, dear Sango is calling. Let us find our dinner, young friend, and we will talk.”
 
Miroku placed the bone box by the doorway. Shippo would take it with him when he left for the Kitsune Temple the next day.
 
Together, the monk and the kitsune headed outside into the dying daylight.
 
The box made of demon bone, so lovingly crafted, was made to house an equally exquisite plaque. Both would survive the ravages of time. Once open, the plaque would sit in a place of honour in the household of the ones it was dedicated to and read lovingly every day:
 
 
A soul without love
A body without breath
A heart without a beat
To live without is to not live at all
 
~ InuYasha and Kagome ~
Live and be happy
~ Miroku and Sango ~